Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
California in particular has all but invalidated non-compete clauses in contracts: your state may vary, and most corporate actors are banking on you not having the resources/will to litigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Never sign a non-compete in the first place. If you are valuable, they will keep you without it. If they insist, you know they are dicks.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You aren't allowed to engage in illegal contracts so if your state doesn't allow non-compete clauses it doesn't matter whether you signed one or not, it's not valid.

I feel like all of my best employees are the ones that work 2 jobs anyways...

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
So I'm thinking about moving to NYC to take a job at Le Bernadin

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pile of brown posted:

You aren't allowed to engage in illegal contracts so if your state doesn't allow non-compete clauses it doesn't matter whether you signed one or not, it's not valid.

I feel like all of my best employees are the ones that work 2 jobs anyways...

I didnt get told until after I was hired at the current restaurant I work at that I would get fired if I ever worked at another high end establishment. Im thinking about risking it because my moms meds are super expensive and I want for my father to be able to retire sometime this decade.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Secret Spoon posted:

I didnt get told until after I was hired at the current restaurant I work at that I would get fired if I ever worked at another high end establishment. Im thinking about risking it because my moms meds are super expensive and I want for my father to be able to retire sometime this decade.

you should probably risk it. don't let anyone tell you what to do with your loving life, ever. not for $10-20/hr, anyways. (unless what you want to do is not work, in which case I guess yeah, you gotta listen to whoever is willing to pay you money)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

colbamf posted:

I work as a shift lead at a hot sandwich shop chain. Another of the SL's, who was on tap to be the GM within a couple months, just put in his notice to be 49% owner of a food truck and wants me to work for him. I'd get more money and have no corporate bullshit to deal with...but since we're in a college town they completely close for a couple months when the kids are gone in the Winter. Am I making the wrong choice taking him up on it?

Edit: There's a non-compete clause, so doing both isn't an option.

Edit 2: I would also be giving up benefits, bonuses, and my GM is very good at her job and one of the nicest people I know.

gently caress that, no such thing as non-compete in this industry. It's not like you're working on proprietary software systems that could lose value if you broke an NDA, you're slinging loving sandwiches.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

But what if people figure out that those sandwiches have both mayo and bacon?

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011

nuru posted:

But what if people figure out that those sandwiches have both mayo and bacon?

Oh gently caress you know too much!!!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
The secret ingredient in the secret sauce is sugar.

Also baby blood.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Naelyan posted:

The secret ingredient in the secret sauce is sugar.

Also baby blood.

Dammit, I shoulda offered you a job, I've been using puppy tears.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
stupid monkey brains just love their fat/salt/sugar

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It doesn't really matter whether or not non-competes are legal, the thing to consider is whether or not the business can bury you with the costs of litigation.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I got offered a market management position at my job, salaried instead of wage, better benefits, less work, way more pay.

And yet all I can think of is how much I want to quit. I work as a baker for Panera Bread, and this is literally the easiest poo poo ever, and if I took this new position all I'd be doing is babysitting all the loving morons who somehow manage to routinely gently caress up the easiest job in the loving universe. Sorry for all the fucks. I'm just frustrated right now.

I think I'm as good at this job as I ever will be and as anybody could ever be. I finish an eight hour workload in four hours with better results, simply because I have the efficiency required down to a goddamn science. My oven is never not baking something. I routinely score the maximum (or nearly, sometimes I miss a point because of stupid bullshit like "there's some icing on this rack") amount of 'points' on my calibration (that's what they call it, pretty much performance reviews) every month. I'm constantly having to deal with everybody else's fuckups all the time, and I just don't feel like I'm learning anything anymore. I feel like I'm not being paid enough for the kind of work I'm doing.

I'm not sure if going from 22k(ish) a year to around 35k would justify making my job about ten times worse.

I'm also not sure what the point of this post is, and I apologize. Is a rant okay in this thread? I guess I'm just asking myself where I go from here. I'd really love to break out of this lovely fast food baking and actually get into a kitchen as a pastry chef, but I don't even really know where to begin. Is all I can do email a bunch of resumes around? My best references are unusable because they're all from Panera and I'd really rather they not know I'm looking for another job, because apparently if I quit the entire market would grind to a goddamn halt. That's been the implication, anyway.

gently caress them, though.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

how would less work make the job 10x worse?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

JawKnee posted:

how would less work make the job 10x worse?

Literally spending my entire day babysitting said morons. It'd be less physical work, is what I mean.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

would you have hiring/firing powers?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I wish. Nah, that's one step above.

I guess I'm being silly and I should probably just take it, if only because the higher position will make me more desirable for other jobs. I mean, I babysit idiots now, but at least now when I get tired of them I can tell them to gently caress off. If I take the promotion that literally becomes my actual job, so I don't get to do that anymore.

I also have a pretty good feeling that being salaried just means they're going to have me on the schedule for 60-70 hours a week, but I suppose that's par for the course for the industry.

I want to bake. What I do now barely feels like baking, and with the new position I'll do less of that and more paperwork. I want to make beautiful deserts. I love the art of baking, savory and sweet. I guess what's bothering me is that in this job I'm no longer learning anything or serving any purpose, it's just become trading my time for a paycheck, and that feels frustrating. I shouldn't bitch so much because I bet a lot of people would kill for my situation. Oh well.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 17, 2015

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Do what makes you happy, gently caress the money if you're comfortable. Stay on your grind, put some feelers out, and if you're worried about getting a new job because Panera will find out...that's some hosed up circular logic. You're never gonna get a better job if you don't go for it. A $13k increase for an extra 20 hours a week (assuming you're full time)...that's like a dollar an hour pay raise.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
"...trading my time for a paycheck..."

This is what I like to call a job. Take the money and make die they don't work you do much that you get paid minimum wage pretty hour for the amount of hours you put in. You could also ask for the amount of money it would take for you to be happy doing that job. The worst thing that could happen is they say no. They may at least counter offer an amount that is more than the original offer. You still have the choice to stay where you are on the food chain there or move on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Maestro posted:

Do what makes you happy, gently caress the money if you're comfortable. Stay on your grind, put some feelers out, and if you're worried about getting a new job because Panera will find out...that's some hosed up circular logic. You're never gonna get a better job if you don't go for it. A $13k increase for an extra 20 hours a week (assuming you're full time)...that's like a dollar an hour pay raise.

My perspective? Take the job. I was a baker, and passionate about creating. Now I'm a datacenter operations technician, making better than double what I was.

Being able to pay the bills, have savings for emergencies, and have hobbies outside of work is absolutely worth not baking anymore.

Besides, when your knees and shoulders give out and you can't crank out production anymore, management experience is what keeps you employed.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 17, 2015

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Uncle Lizard posted:

Take the money and make die they don't work you do much that you get paid minimum wage pretty hour for the amount of hours you put in.

What is this supposed to say?

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I think it means pray that they don't work your salaried rear end so much that your hourly pay is close to minimum wage.

I would take it. Like both you and Liquid Communism said, management experience is going to make you more desirable to other employers when you eventually move on. How many hours did the last person in your position work? If you're worried about lazy idiots show them how you can get your poo poo done in half the time. Write out a minute-by-minute schedule if you have to and you may end up with a pretty solid crew. That'll reflect pretty good on you.
If you want to become a better baker, you could always use that extra money you'll be making for some classes or find an upscale bakery or a restaurant with a great pastry program and beg to stage with them once a week.

You're going to need to learn the business side of things eventually if you want to stay in the industry after your body has been broken in countless ways, might as well start now.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

Besides, when your knees and shoulders give out and you can't crank out production anymore, management experience is what keeps you employed.

Rockzilla posted:

You're going to need to learn the business side of things eventually if you want to stay in the industry after your body has been broken in countless ways, might as well start now.

These are really good points. I guess I'll take the job.

I can't shake the feeling that I'm just getting myself more entrenched in the dead end I'm already in, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Uncle Lizard posted:

This is what I like to call a job.

And yeah, loving obviously, but I guess I shouldn't work in this industry and also expect a fulfilling life or anything

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 17, 2015

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

mindphlux posted:

you should probably risk it. don't let anyone tell you what to do with your loving life, ever. not for $10-20/hr, anyways. (unless what you want to do is not work, in which case I guess yeah, you gotta listen to whoever is willing to pay you money)

I averaged 42$ an hour this year, but the problem is we are only open for dinner. I think now that I have opens and closes Im going to just go and apply at a few lunch and brunch places.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Guy orders a mid rare pork loin, they deliver, his wife claims to be a chef, and says we are irresponsible for serving it like that, it has to be cooked well just like chicken, or she could get sick and die.

loving ignorant rear end in a top hat.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I made myself a rare pork loin today, we had a bunch left over after the weekend (it was my app feature). Goons, does this mean I'm going to die?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that is hosed up. were they trying for some entrapment poo poo? or just a silly couple of people?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

mindphlux posted:

that is hosed up. were they trying for some entrapment poo poo? or just a silly couple of people?

The woman was probably a "chef" as in she learned how to cook from her grandmother who told her to always burn your pork to death.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

The woman was probably a "chef" as in she learned how to cook from her grandmother who told her to always burn your pork to death.

Either that or she's spent her whole career working in nursing homes and private care facilities. I've met a couple of those people, and they're generally retarded as gently caress when it comes to food.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Guy orders a mid rare pork loin, they deliver, his wife claims to be a chef, and says we are irresponsible for serving it like that, it has to be cooked well just like chicken, or she could get sick and die.

loving ignorant rear end in a top hat.

Tell her to eat a rare dick.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Someone took "the other white meat" slogan a liiiiiiiiiiittle too seriously.

What gets me is if its so lethal why did she order mid-rare?!?!

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 18, 2015

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Excuse me sir. Sir? Sir!! This martini my date ordered clearly has more than one fluid ounce of eighty proof alcohol in it! We'll be seeing you in court for criminal negligence after our DWI hearing!

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Invisible Ted posted:

What is this supposed to say?

Most of the time people offer you salary that is better than your wage but make you work crazy hours. When you break it down you could be making less than minimum wage per hour for the hours you work. You have to watch out is what I'm saying.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Uncle Lizard posted:

Most of the time people offer you salary that is better than your wage but make you work crazy hours. When you break it down you could be making less than minimum wage per hour for the hours you work. You have to watch out is what I'm saying.

Everybody else made great points about advancement/mgmt experience/etc but this is part of what i was drunkenly trying to say. Better off working 2 30hr/wk jobs that you enjoy and make the same amount of money as one 60hr/wk job that you hate

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

What gets me is if its so lethal why did she order mid-rare?!?!

There are a lot of people who just have no clue what temps actually mean. I'm sure everyone here has experienced a person sending back a mid rare steak because it's still bloody, or a well done steak because it doesn't have any pink in it.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.

Crazy Larry posted:

There are a lot of people who just have no clue what temps actually mean. I'm sure everyone here has experienced a person sending back a mid rare steak because it's still bloody, or a well done steak because it doesn't have any pink in it.

I once had someone send back a well done steak because it was "too juicy." One leather, coming up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How many of you have noticed asian customers requesting their steaks well done more often than other ethnicities

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

ExplodingChef posted:

I once had someone send back a well done steak because it was "too juicy." One leather, coming up.

Oh man, that's the worst. At my last job (a "fine dining" hotel restaraunt) we had a pair of regulars who liked their ribeyes extra, extra well done. It still hurts me to think of the things we did to those steaks. The worst part was that they always complemented us, no matter how far past well done we went. It became a game almost, to see if we could manage to send out a steak they thought was overlooked (without actually turning it into charcoal). We never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Steve Yun posted:

How many of you have noticed asian customers requesting their steaks well done more often than other ethnicities

For me it's eastern europeans. We employ a good number of Serbians and Russian Bloc types. Its cultural for them, they're totally aghast when I eat staff meal rare (or raw.)

• Locked thread