Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So I finally got around to reading Steel Ball run over a week long binge, and I just gotta say: holy poo poo. I was not ready for those last two volumes, poo poo went down. I actually said "holy gently caress" out loud at the reveal of Alt-Diego's stand. There is just so many little things I love, like how the President uses alt dimensions to make himself ripped or that there is a stand whose ability is to make a dinosaur zombie plague. Or really anything to do with the President, what a character. The one appearance of the OraOraOra was incredible as well, hella satisfying :allears:

I'm also kind of amazed at how much better it did a "defeating an enemy in infinite realities" thing that Bioshock Infinite did.
Dojyaa~~n

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

So I finally got around to reading Steel Ball run over a week long binge, and I just gotta say: holy poo poo. I was not ready for those last two volumes, poo poo went down. I actually said "holy gently caress" out loud at the reveal of Alt-Diego's stand. There is just so many little things I love, like how the President uses alt dimensions to make himself ripped or that there is a stand whose ability is to make a dinosaur zombie plague. Or really anything to do with the President, what a character. The one appearance of the OraOraOra was incredible as well, hella satisfying :allears:

I'm also kind of amazed at how much better it did a "defeating an enemy in infinite realities" thing that Bioshock Infinite did.
Dojyaa~~n

Steel Ball Run is Araki's honey pot for all the people that don't like Star Platinum because he just ghost punches. He says, "No, there's no ghost punching at all! Just cool power ghost buddy puzzle fights, it's just what you wanted!'. And then at the end, he pulls back the curtain, and the whole thing was just an enormous, nearly decade long set up, for the greatest and most satisfying ghost punch ever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Should I read parts 5 and 6 before starting Steel Ball Run or just skip straight to it?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Should you read more JoJo or less JoJo, hmm lemme think

Skipping 5 is acceptable because there's no good translation but you should read 6.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Star Platinum posted:

Should you read more JoJo or less JoJo, hmm lemme think

Skipping 5 is acceptable because there's no good translation but you should read 6.

Excellent point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's really no point in skipping any of them. i'm not sure why people would want to do that, since the later parts aren't going to magically disappear in the meanwhile.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Part 5 has all the strongest stands

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
One of the stands is just magento from X Men but even more powerful and he turns your blood into razor blades

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite was the guy that can kill you 30 seconds and had to be written out of the story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

One of the stands is just magento from X Men but even more powerful and he turns your blood into razor blades

I'm pretty sure Magneto kills a guy in a similar way in that X-2 movie.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah but Magneto's name isn't Metallica so he's not as cool.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't that guy injected with extra iron as a way to smuggle metal into Magneto's prison? I don't think he could pull that trick on anybody with a regular amount of iron.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Magneto ripped some iron out of a guys body where as Metallica literally turns your blood into razor blades with no regard for the logic of chemistry

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Holy poo poo that afterword rules

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Part 5 has a lot of awesome combo fights going on and also has some really loving good side characters that are rad enough that they're still rad as gently caress even with the bad translation.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It has the dance

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It has a lot of things.

Like that time Bruno died but stuck around cause he's too cool to die. Or that time Giorno decided that the best way to fight the guy who can freeze anything near him is to drive into water. Or the entire train fight.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

It has the dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yCNj6S3TzQ

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You do miss out on a lot with the poor translation, but what remains is still worth reading. Plus its got one the best protagonists in Jojo.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Broseph Brostar posted:

You do miss out on a lot with the poor translation, but what remains is still worth reading. Plus its got one the best protagonists in Jojo.

Yeah, Bruno is pretty rad, I can agree there.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Yeah, Bruno is pretty rad, I can agree there.

Zipper Man vs. Fisher Man is still the best fight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

arc 5 matters the least out of every arc but it definitely has a lot of cool stuff

also you can experience the phenomenon of 'araki retcons something a few pages later because it's too odd for jojo's'

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yeah but Magneto's name isn't Metallica so he's not as cool.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Wasn't that guy injected with extra iron as a way to smuggle metal into Magneto's prison? I don't think he could pull that trick on anybody with a regular amount of iron.

Magneto ripped some iron out of a guys body where as Metallica literally turns your blood into razor blades with no regard for the logic of chemistry

These are all very good points.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

These are all very good points.

Thanks you.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Part 5 also has the best outfits(apart from Vanilla and Anasui).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Mugticket posted:

Part 5 also has the best outfits(apart from Vanilla and Anasui).

The_Biggest_Lie_in_Vento_Aureo.png

I almost posted this in the anime thread when they were talking about stand users wearing ridiculous outfits, but then I remembered it was the anime thread and stopped myself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you feel as though you can rest soundly after skipping 6 pages of MUDAMUDAMUDA and a page of WRYYYYYY, you could skip part 5. But you might as well skip 6, 7 and 8 though because you're probably not a JoJo fan if you don't want to see 6 pages of MUDA.

e: JoJolion 39 spoilers.
http://araki100p.web.fc2.com/jojolion039.html

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 17, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Fucknag posted:

Should I read parts 5 and 6 before starting Steel Ball Run or just skip straight to it?

I personally skipped part 5 because of the translation and went back to it after everything else, and I don't regret it. But it's all worth reading.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
5 is not tied into the overarching plot at all except for the return of a special friend and a funny idea for a cameo in part 6 that never ended up happening, so you can enjoy it at your leisure

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
really the most disappointing thing about 5 is that it didn't tie into 6 when it seemed like by all metrics it would

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

really the most disappointing thing about 5 is that it didn't tie into 6 when it seemed like by all metrics it would

Yeah seriously that was all kinds of disappointing. I know part 6 suffered from battle fatigue towards the end with nobody getting a chance to just take a breather and rest but I'd have been down for Giorno in Disney.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Part 5 is probably my favorite. There I said it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I would've loved a confrontation between Pucci and Giorno, especially since Giorno and Jotaro never got a proper meeting nor did Giorno ever get a chance to show that he wasn't like his father. Well, not in the bad way, at least. He does still end up in control of a legion of Stand Users that he sends out to kill people who piss him off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I would've liked a side story about all the Stand users the Joestar brigade left alive and wrecked in their passage in part 3. It's actually probably a pretty significant list, though I guess they'd also all be living in the Middle East. TOPICAL COMMENTARY.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I would love a side story detailing Hol Horse's adventures period.

On the topic of other villains, I imagine Arabia Fats decided to do something sensible with his powers and made a lucrative career selling sunscreen.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I would love a side story detailing Hol Horse's adventures period.

On the topic of other villains, I imagine Arabia Fats decided to do something sensible with his powers and made a lucrative career selling sunscreen.

He's dead. They just left him laying unconscious in the desert in the middle of the night. He probably froze to death.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I would've loved a confrontation between Pucci and Giorno, especially since Giorno and Jotaro never got a proper meeting nor did Giorno ever get a chance to show that he wasn't like his father. Well, not in the bad way, at least. He does still end up in control of a legion of Stand Users that he sends out to kill people who piss him off.

If All Star Battle is anything to go off of, GER vs Made in Heaven would have been amazing, also going to say that despite the translation I actually really enjoyed part 5, I kinda like how at the end they switch things up and had the protagonist rather than the antagonist get the plot device that makes you overpowered, even if it lead to a rather boring final fight

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm more disappointed Great Uncle Josuke never got a chance to jump in and be a big drat hero. Poor guy was forgotten past part 4.

• Locked thread