Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Yodzilla posted:

Guess that Gamestop deal is dead, I can't check out with anything.

I was able to check out fine with my visa. Got the order confirmation in my
email, haven't got the separate one with the key on it yet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Phew. I will think about it then thank you. Johnny Gat is the best character in the Saints Row games and in 4 is the only good character in the game so I will put it under consideration.
I really, really liked Pierce. Something about his inflappable nature combined with his shameless huckserism makes sense in a Saint's Row world.

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.
Saints Row 4 is almost worth the purchase price for the "romance subplot" with Kinzie (don't worry, it's Saint's Row "romance," not Bioware romance.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Everblight posted:

I really, really liked Pierce. Something about his inflappable nature combined with his shameless huckserism makes sense in a Saint's Row world.

Well alright yeah Pierce is okay too but it's mostly because everyone from the Boss themselves to the lowliest gangbanger shits on him which is hilarious.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Coin posted:

Saints Row 4 is almost worth the purchase price for the "romance subplot" with Kinzie (don't worry, it's Saint's Row "romance," not Bioware romance.)

I think you misspelled C.I.D. :colbert:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Has anyone else noticed Steam's website crashing Firefox constantly after its latest update?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

pandaK posted:

Has anyone else noticed Steam's website crashing Firefox constantly after its latest update?

Using enhanced steam? I had this problem too but there's a manual update that seems to have fixed it.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Coin posted:

:11tea:

indeed

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

robziel posted:

I don't think I saw this yet but Gat out of Hell is currently $5 at gamespot of all places http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/saints-row-gat-out-of-hell/118076

Anyone able to help me pick up two copies of this?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tithin

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I can't seem to load humblebundle.com or GameStop's website. It just displays a white screen, but if I hit the "stop loading" button in the browser, it displays the site like it loaded just fine. Using Chrome and Windows 7.

Anyone else having trouble? I'll try disabling extensions one by one before moving on to spybot and MSE.

E: Started working as soon as I posted this!

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 17, 2015

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Danith posted:

I was able to check out fine with my visa. Got the order confirmation in my
email, haven't got the separate one with the key on it yet though

According to the site, key distribution and billing will happen once the game is available for download.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
For the GTAV pre-orders, it seems like everywhere that is non-Steam is just selling a Rockstar Social Club redemption key and not a Steam key. That's mildly annoying. I'm trying to collect games, not digital download platforms.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey Schisser, thanks for Nuclear Throne it looks rad as hell!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Light Gun Man posted:

Using enhanced steam? I had this problem too but there's a manual update that seems to have fixed it.

Mind linking the update? I can't find anything about such a thing.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I just started playing Psychonauts after picking it up in that Double Fine sale a couple months ago. I played the poo poo out of it when it came out on Xbox originally and it holds up way better than I expected it would. The controls are a little fiddly sometimes and at least on my PC there are a good amount of graphics glitches (things popping in and out of existence randomly) but I'm willing to give Double Fine a pass on their recent gently caress-ups just from replaying this. It's probably in my top 3 console games from that generation along with Paper Mario: TTYD.

I have Brutal Legend from the same bundle and will probably check it out soon, never played that one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Turfahurf posted:

(psychonauts) but I'm willing to give Double Fine a pass on their recent gently caress-ups just from replaying this.

This is like, reverse common sense. P-naughty is a pretty loving fantastic game, though. I agree with that.

ALso, I thought Brutal Legend was pretty cool, I guess, but I stopped playing a few hours in after the first few rts segments. I found it to be clumsy and not very fun.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

markgreyam posted:

For the GTAV pre-orders, it seems like everywhere that is non-Steam is just selling a Rockstar Social Club redemption key and not a Steam key. That's mildly annoying. I'm trying to collect games, not digital download platforms.

Social Club irritates me to an unreasonable extent. I wanted to play Max Payne 3 when I was feeling an action game and instead of being able to just jump into it I had to register, get a confirmation e-mail, log in, etc. I just uninstalled it and played something else instead. Even EA lets you play their games without signing into their dumb dead DRM servers.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Drifter posted:

This is like, reverse common sense. P-naughty is a pretty loving fantastic game, though. I agree with that.

ALso, I thought Brutal Legend was pretty cool, I guess, but I stopped playing a few hours in after the first few rts segments. I found it to be clumsy and not very fun.

I'll agree with you on my reasoning not making sense, but Psychonauts is probably the best game Double Fine has made and I really loved it when it first came out. I just wish they had the budget still to pull off something like that again.

Tim Schafer is fantastic writer and ideas man but not so great at running a company, unfortunately.

salty fries make me cry fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 17, 2015

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

robziel posted:

I don't think I saw this yet but Gat out of Hell is currently $5 at gamespot of all places http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/saints-row-gat-out-of-hell/118076

Just placed an order via the mobile site, with a credit card. Thanks!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

So I guess you can vote game reviews 'funny' now? Not sure what they're thinking this is going to accomplish. As if every game's review section wasn't already stuffed full of 'I fell off a table and shot my nose 11/10' and other such extremely witty prose. This will just make the useful reviews even more rare, under the pile of people falling over each other to be clever.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just finished my playthrough of Wasteland 2. I put well over a 100 hours into, so I guess it wasn't terrible.

Still, it's fairly rough. It's ugly as sin. It's fairly buggy. Feels like the developers were intoxicated with the ability to make huge maps, so everything is twice the size it needs to be. The UI / interface / whatever goes out of its way to annoy you at times. The writing is unexceptional at best.

On the other hand: Once you go through half the game and end up in California, you start getting involved hub areas with multiple solutions and interesting characters. Everything is filled with callbacks to the original Wasteland (and apparently if you'were a fan of the original Wasteland, this game is exactly the sequel you were looking for). It's ambitious, to say the least.

Still, if you're looking for an old school RPG... go with Dragonfall. Or wait for Pillars of Eternity. But once you're done with those, you can give Wasteland a try. It's not all bad, just not very good.

BobTheJanitor posted:

So I guess you can vote game reviews 'funny' now? Not sure what they're thinking this is going to accomplish. As if every game's review section wasn't already stuffed full of 'I fell off a table and shot my nose 11/10' and other such extremely witty prose. This will just make the useful reviews even more rare, under the pile of people falling over each other to be clever.
The opposite. You now have an option to express your approval of a joke review without marking it down as useful.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 17, 2015

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Either you waste inordinate amounts of time trying to regulate it or you give an option which allows internet retards to still get the attention they crave while invalidating it from affecting the overall user opinion rating, assuming that this is what they do once something becomes marked majority funny.

At least I assume that's its purpose otherwise they're literally just allowing self-absorbed unfunny internet retards an extra outlet to validate their existence through the approval of others. Which if they've done what I said without acknowledging it, will achieve anyway thus being even more impressive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

markgreyam posted:

At least I assume that's its purpose otherwise they're literally just allowing self-absorbed unfunny internet retards an extra outlet to validate their existence through the approval of others. Which if they've done what I said without acknowledging it, will achieve anyway thus being even more impressive.

But curators have been around for a while now!

edit: I know the ! makes it sound like I'm joking but there is no joke here, curators are about as funny as cancer and I wish there was a way to opt out of having to see them on games' store pages.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

I heard rumors that people play Tabletop Simulator for board games. What weirdos.

So GTAV's preorder bonus is just starting with extra money and getting GTA:SA? Is that really all, and can you gift GTA:SA if you already own it?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Theta Zero posted:

I heard rumors that people play Tabletop Simulator for board games. What weirdos.

Those last two lines of that chat do not deserve to be as funny as they are. Why the gently caress am I still laughing. :roflolmao:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

BobTheJanitor posted:

It's because reviews are worthless anyway.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

CJacobs posted:

But curators have been around for a while now!

edit: I know the ! makes it sound like I'm joking but there is no joke here, curators are about as funny as cancer and I wish there was a way to opt out of having to see them on games' store pages.

Yeah I totally forgot about those, incidentally because I Adblock that garbage out.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What is the curators thing exactly anyway?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Why would they offer a free weekend for Civ Beyond Earth?
Don't do that if your game is a boring turd. Otoh thanks for saving me 29.99€ I guess :confused:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

A bunch of unfunny YouTube assholes chime in on game pages and you have no way to prevent it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

The review system is so bad that even something that is hot garbage can get tagged "mostly positive" because fans flood the review system. Especially the EA games where the defenders refuse to succumb to reason and keeping saying "just give it more time 5/5"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

BobTheJanitor posted:

It's my chance to break into the review industry.

:human being:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

On the other hand: Once you go through half the game and end up in California, you start getting involved hub areas with multiple solutions and interesting characters.

Why would you bury that in the second half :sigh:

Because of re-rolling characters and having to restart because they patched the game I've done the biocenter like 4 times now and it was an ungodly slog to begin with. I uninstalled it because I couldn't imagine spending another couple hours just to start a new game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Demiurge4 posted:

It's a thing where some space is taken up on the front page of Steam and you have to scroll past it to see what the daily deal is :mad:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

pentyne posted:

The review system is so bad that even something that is hot garbage can get tagged "mostly positive" because fans flood the review system. Especially the EA games where the defenders refuse to succumb to reason and keeping saying "just give it more time 5/5"

I like reading negative reviews first. I also tend to sort by recent. And then also check on the Community Hub of the game. I tend to avoid Early Access titles too (sometimes for a couple months after they release). You can't even trust triple-A publishers to put out something functional at the very least.

In conclusion, don't buy games.

Is that review about Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Technetium posted:

Looks like The Church of Universal Truth: The Video Game.

The SR2 port is fine if you download the Gentlemen of the Row patch that fixes it. Also SR2 owns bones.

No, Gentlemen of the Row leaves many major bugs unfixed. Even with Gentlemen of the Row, it was extraordinarily unstable with poor performance for me and several other people I knew.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, Gentlemen of the Row leaves many major bugs unfixed. Even with Gentlemen of the Row, it was extraordinarily unstable with poor performance for me and several other people I knew.

Yeah it kept crashing every hour or so for me with Gentlemen of the Row. But it's still an improvement on the game just not working at all I guess.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

markgreyam posted:

Yeah I totally forgot about those, incidentally because I Adblock that garbage out.

It's amazing how far you'd go just to not see short statements about a game

Anonymous Robot posted:

Social Club irritates me to an unreasonable extent. I wanted to play Max Payne 3 when I was feeling an action game and instead of being able to just jump into it I had to register, get a confirmation e-mail, log in, etc. I just uninstalled it and played something else instead. Even EA lets you play their games without signing into their dumb dead DRM servers.
EA makes you sign into origin, Valve makes you sign into steam.

and you uninstalled moments after downloading a 30gb game??
Why do goons like to overreact to the most mild things?

Erika fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 17, 2015

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Theta Zero posted:

So GTAV's preorder bonus is just starting with extra money and getting GTA:SA? Is that really all, and can you gift GTA:SA if you already own it?
GTA:SA is added to your inventory if you already own it. I didn't check if there are any trade limitations on it, but it's ready to be gifted away as soon as you pre-order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Anonymous Robot posted:

I understand not liking Social Club (I don't like it either, also see uPlay, Bioware's thing in DragonAge, etc) But not playing a game you paid for because you need to take 2 minutes to activate something? Seems like they win on both fronts to me.
I personally connected most of that extra DRM stuff to a 2nd email account I only use for that and while it is still BS I won't be missing out on games I already paid for because of it.
Being wary of it before a purchase is perfectly valid if you feel strongly about it though, I'm just glad uPlay is stable nowadays cause I'm a sucker for some AssCreed :v:
That said I am apparently one of the few people that never had any issues with R*club,Bioware's stuff, etc. The main thing I had was some auth delay on some Anno 2070 DLC and that resolved itself.

• Locked thread