Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shamelessly stolen from the 40k MMO thread: "Hope is the first step on the road to despair."

Though would really like it to not suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Do an HBO series with Gaunt's Ghosts already! :argh:

They already did this, it's called Band of Brothers.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fellblade posted:

They already did this, it's called Band of Brothers.

And the BBC did it as Sharpe.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Between this, Creative Assembly's Total Warhammer, and Deathwing from the E.Y.E. guys, it feels like we might finally get some more good 40k games..

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I have the Mordheim game on Early Access and it's pretty good too!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Space Hulk: Ascension is pretty good, too. Or maybe it's just Space Hulk. I don't know, the one that isn't just an ape of the boardgame.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Space Hulk: Ascension is pretty good, too. Or maybe it's just Space Hulk. I don't know, the one that isn't just an ape of the boardgame.

Ascension, yes. Kinda like Xcom

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Yay or Nay on Pandorax? I remember a post about it but not positive or negative.

By c z dunn

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I found Ascension really awkward and clunky to control at times, and the animation is hilariously bad. Terminators just sort of shuffle along. The extra mechanics were good though.

I could play it again now that it's officially been released, but :effort:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I've decided to check out some Warhammer fantasy fluff and was wondering if the Thunder and Steel omnibus by Abnett is worth reading?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

I've decided to check out some Warhammer fantasy fluff and was wondering if the Thunder and Steel omnibus by Abnett is worth reading?

I dont know anything about the book itself, but the author is regarded as one of the best in the black library

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Mr.48 posted:

I'd say yes. The first couple stories about the elf are lame, but oonce you move past that, it's very good.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

The consensus of this thread is that everything by Abnet and Dembski-Bowden is worth reading, and for the author authors it's hit or miss (I'm sure someone will drop in to tell me which authors are consistently miss).

I'm reading Shadows of treachery now, and in the story about the Night Hunters there is a Raven Guard captain hanging out with them post heresy, what's his story? It feels like I'm missing background on him out of a previous book that I didn't read.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dyscrasia posted:

I'd say yes. The first couple stories about the elf are lame, but oonce you move past that, it's very good.
You are objectively wrong about that. Gilead's Blood is a great book.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

Yay or Nay on Pandorax? I remember a post about it but not positive or negative.

By c z dunn

I think that post was negative. I on the other hand really liked it. Nb. This was the audiobook version entertaining me while I was spending the weekend painting the house, so that probably factored into my enjoyment . But still I thought it was fun, the stakes keep escalating in a fashion I found entertaining.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Oh hey, I just discovered they made a Horus Heresy game!

it's a clash of clans ripoff for iOS

Speaking of, is book 2 of Horus Heresy meant to be that corny and forced? It's almost as if they're trying to hammer home that Horus is being corrupted by Chaos and that causes the Horus Heresy. I'm surprised Magnus is trying so hard to stop it though, that's not something I expected at all from what I knew of him. Also is he actually physically red, or is that just a name?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

He has very bright red hair apparently.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
He's normally red, but his size and appearance varies because he's more raw power than flesh and bone.

He's also occasionally called the Crimson King. Yeah, that was pretty bad.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Oh hey, I just discovered they made a Horus Heresy game!

it's a clash of clans ripoff for iOS

Speaking of, is book 2 of Horus Heresy meant to be that corny and forced? It's almost as if they're trying to hammer home that Horus is being corrupted by Chaos and that causes the Horus Heresy. I'm surprised Magnus is trying so hard to stop it though, that's not something I expected at all from what I knew of him. Also is he actually physically red, or is that just a name?

He's physically red in every artistic depiction I've seen of him. The books do talk about his skin color but I forget how. But magnus can look however he wants is what I've taken from various books he is in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rocket_Magnet posted:

He's physically red in every artistic depiction I've seen of him. The books do talk about his skin color but I forget how. But magnus can look however he wants is what I've taken from various books he is in.

There's a funny bit in Betrayer where Magnus' appearance flips every few seconds between different looks, each also featuring a different way his one eye has been depicted: cyclops style, an empty eye socket, or one normal eye and then the face is smooth flesh where the other eye should have been.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I haven't read Betrayer - is that intentional, showing how much the Warp pushes on him, or is it just a fuckup?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

PantsOptional posted:

I haven't read Betrayer - is that intentional, showing how much the Warp pushes on him, or is it just a fuckup?

In that scene, Magnus is speaking with Lorgar aboard it's flagship by projecting it's image from the Planet of the Socerers in the Eye of Terror, so by that time he's probably more daemon prince than regular primarch.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don't think he's full Daemon Prince until he accepts that Tzeentch has dicked him over 100%, no backsies. Ahriman is the one who refuses to accept that, thus the Rubric.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
That's also the book where Lorgar turns from #1 Bitch primarch into some psyker monster, freaking out Magnus in the process.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Magnus and his eye are described in Thousand Sons as being variable as well. It's the nature of his form that he doesn't have a single look, supposedly because he is most similar to the Emperor in his psychic ability and thus, like the Emperor, cannot be readily perceived by mortal minds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Magnus and his eye are described in Thousand Sons as being variable as well. It's the nature of his form that he doesn't have a single look, supposedly because he is most similar to the Emperor in his psychic ability and thus, like the Emperor, cannot be readily perceived by mortal minds.

It's also suggested that Magnus doesn't have a set physical form, that he's more a thing of psychic power than of flesh and blood.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Magnus obviously looks like his Epic model:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

SRM posted:

Magnus obviously looks like his Epic model:

In Australia red heads often get the nick name Blue or Bluey. I can only assume an Australian eavy metal painter got assigned Magnus the blue.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
So, here's a sort of dumb lore question: is there such a thing as a heretek Techmarine? Not necessarily someone who's strapping daemons onto their servo-harness, but just a Techmarine who adapts and expands and innovates in all those ways that the Mechanicus hates.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PantsOptional posted:

So, here's a sort of dumb lore question: is there such a thing as a heretek Techmarine? Not necessarily someone who's strapping daemons onto their servo-harness, but just a Techmarine who adapts and expands and innovates in all those ways that the Mechanicus hates.

There's no reason there can't be. That said, there are no stories about them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

There's Warpsmiths in the Chaos Marine armies, who are basically Techmarines who worship Chaos. In 40k their rules are even an inverse of Techmarine rules, and instead of reinforcing cover they knock it down by one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PantsOptional posted:

They're usually called Techmarines. There's more than one example in the fluff of Techmarines inventing and innovating new technology and vehicle designs that the AdMech only reluctantly gave the approval stamp to after the design spread among half the Astartes without their approval, the Land Raider Crusader being the most prominent such innovation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SRM posted:

There's Warpsmiths in the Chaos Marine armies, who are basically Techmarines who worship Chaos. In 40k their rules are even an inverse of Techmarine rules, and instead of reinforcing cover they knock it down by one.

IIRC a lot of the Techmarines in the traitor legions either hooked up with their Dark Mechanicum bros or became Obliteraters

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Cythereal posted:

They're usually called Techmarines. There's more than one example in the fluff of Techmarines inventing and innovating new technology and vehicle designs that the AdMech only reluctantly gave the approval stamp to after the design spread among half the Astartes without their approval, the Land Raider Crusader being the most prominent such innovation.

Basically in the AdMech as a whole if tinkering and innovating produces something useful and the guy doing it has the political clout to not get nailed to the wall for doing so then usually the authorities will retroactively approve it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Someone recently was gushing about the new Ahriman book, so I picked up Exile...I'm nearly halfway through it, but should I have read Thousand Sons first? Seems like I missed a bit somewhere...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Someone recently was gushing about the new Ahriman book, so I picked up Exile...I'm nearly halfway through it, but should I have read Thousand Sons first? Seems like I missed a bit somewhere...

Its not necessary but its really nice background and would recommend reading both Sons and Prospero Burns first

Or in general

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks, yeah, I'll be reading both of them too! I just didn't know if there is a preferred order so I'm not lost.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

They take place chronologically, and given one of the characters present in all three, you'll want to read them in the order in which they were published. (BSC, TH, RC)

edit: this is what I get for posting too early in the morning, I somehow confused this thread with the Joe Abercrombie one :suicide:

The Rat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 21, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, no prob, I'll restart with the earliest one then.

Forgive my ignorance but I don't know what these stand for:

The Rat posted:

(BSC, TH, RC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

The Rat posted:

They take place chronologically, and given one of the characters present in all three, you'll want to read them in the order in which they were published. (BSC, TH, RC)

Wot are these acronyms

Read thousand sons-> prosper burns -> Ahriman

Also read Eisenhorn, Ravenor, and Night Lords and Helsreach at some point