Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think the shortbow is better mainly because it uses less stamina. This is a pretty noticeable difference and you'll frequently be able to get off one extra attack using the short bow. If I recall correctly, it's also somewhat faster. The black bow is comparable to the short bow in speed and stamina consumption, but does much more damage. The dragonrider bow hits like a truck if you have the stats for it, but also is the slowest and uses the most stamina. It's still very useful for a strength/int build. The bow of want has by far the highest damage potential, but you can't get it until you beat the game and it requires high stats to be really good (decent scaling in strength dex and faith). The bow of want also looks pretty stupid, in my opinion, and that's an important mark against it. For pure sexiness, the Alonne greatbow is the way to go. Too bad they're almost impossible to get until the Old Iron King DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

I would, it's probably the highest damaging regular bow. It's slower and eats more stamina but in term of pure damage numbers it's still better than other bows even without any notable INT investment. The Hunter's Black Bow is probably still better though, because it's considerably faster which results in higher DPS.

It deals higher damage less often, and also it scales from Int while requiring not a small amount of strength and dex.
If that is your intended build, its surely great, but i havent found a character that could utilize it without going lengthy detours in levels.
My Sorcerer doesnt have the str/dex and even if i get the dex i would still be missing the str. My str. doesnt have the Int and so on...

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The difference in stamina usage is negligible, but it has better scaling and is only a tad slower than the short bow. It's my personal favorite, especially for quality build characters. I also use the highest damage great bow for when you need to knock some rear end in a top hat off their feet.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 16, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm considering building a Pyromancer build... maybe with some flame infused DEX weapons mixed in. I know that Fire BNS scaled as (sort of) an average of your FTH and INT. What's a good number to get that up to? If I'm building FTH and INT, then I can probably dabble in hexes too, right? I don't know if throwing in DEX weapons is spreading the character too thin... I'd also want to get adaptability up to roll through damage.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's not an average, it's literally just taking your FTH and INT and combining them together. The soft cap is 60, but you can reach that cap any way you want, 30/30 FTH and INT, 55/5, 15/45, whatever. But pyromancy isn't really about the stats so much as the flame anyway. Stats will give your fire damage, I want to say, 50-100 more damage?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Well, there's no difference between the average of int and faith and just taking int and faith and combining them together. They mean the same thing. So it is an average. But it's true that you don't really build int and faith for pyromancy itself, since the scaling is probably not worth it. Rather, the scaling you get on pyromancy is just considered a bonus to casters, with the biggest bonus going to hex builds. If you don't mind having really low HP and equip load and mediocre stamina, dex/hex can work pretty well. There are a lot of very good weapons specifically made for that build (fume sword, roaring halberd, silverblack spear). It's a ton of fun to play in the late game and in new game + because you get access to all the utility spells from sorcery and miracles as well as a bunch of good hexes. Otherwise just make a normal dex character with some extra attunement for pyromancies (this will help with agility and iframes, though not as much as adaptability).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sector_corrector posted:

I had her get completely lost in the No Man's Wharf fight (I forgot about ringing the bell to bring the ship in, ran back to do it, and her AI could never catch up when I fought Flexile, which I did because I pulled a human phantom into the fight to help them restore humanity). I then proceeded to have her accidentally get killed right at the end of the Smelter fight after completing Sinner and The Rotten. I still completed her quest. So it definitely seems like it didn't count her not being in the Flexile room against my count of 3.

That's true, if you manage to summon Lucatiel and kill the boss, you get credit for her helping even if she wasn't in the room.

Although I think if you take too long there's a chance she could leave. :shrug:

Alabaster White posted:

I hope we get another blow-up like with Killer7 where the developers destroy some nerd's unbelievably stupid theories and we get to see them flip out and threaten to kill themselves/the devs/everyone :allears:

What :stare: Link?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Well, there's no difference between the average of int and faith and just taking int and faith and combining them together. They mean the same thing. So it is an average. But it's true that you don't really build int and faith for pyromancy itself, since the scaling is probably not worth it. Rather, the scaling you get on pyromancy is just considered a bonus to casters, with the biggest bonus going to hex builds. If you don't mind having really low HP and equip load and mediocre stamina, dex/hex can work pretty well. There are a lot of very good weapons specifically made for that build (fume sword, roaring halberd, silverblack spear). It's a ton of fun to play in the late game and in new game + because you get access to all the utility spells from sorcery and miracles as well as a bunch of good hexes. Otherwise just make a normal dex character with some extra attunement for pyromancies (this will help with agility and iframes, though not as much as adaptability).

Cool, thanks for the advice. I think I might just run pure DEX with Pyromancy for some flavor, since I hate having low stats in HP, EQ and END. I might spec into the lowest possible requirement for either Miracles or Sorcery though...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sector_corrector posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice. I think I might just run pure DEX with Pyromancy for some flavor, since I hate having low stats in HP, EQ and END. I might spec into the lowest possible requirement for either Miracles or Sorcery though...

Almost all of my runs in the past were Faith+Str, Int+Str, Faith+Int+Str, etc.

My current run I'm doing pure dex and pyromancy. And its left me so many free points for HP and ADP, its loving nice. I really reccomend it.

With a high enough ADP you don't need shields or armor, so END doesn't matter. (Or is carry vitality? gently caress I can never remember their bad naming) And with tons of dex, good dex scaling weapons hit really hard, and most of them are really fast. You can use bows and poison or bleed for some variety too. Its good times.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Almost all of my runs in the past were Faith+Str, Int+Str, Faith+Int+Str, etc.

My current run I'm doing pure dex and pyromancy. And its left me so many free points for HP and ADP, its loving nice. I really reccomend it.

With a high enough ADP you don't need shields or armor, so END doesn't matter. (Or is carry vitality? gently caress I can never remember their bad naming) And with tons of dex, good dex scaling weapons hit really hard, and most of them are really fast. You can use bows and poison or bleed for some variety too. Its good times.

I finally tried something other than STR builds and went with dex and it has been fun, though I do tend to lean heavily on my bows and I am a bit underwhelmed by the magical damaging spells. I think my next go will be a pure str+dex badass

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

What :stare: Link?

This guy wrote this loving MASSIVE speculation guide for Killer7 and then the developers released a book that basically nullified everything and he flipped out. It was almost 10 years ago, though, so I don't have a link to anything specific.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I could be mis-remembering, but wasn't the book about stuff that was cut during development, and thus not about what the game actually ended up being?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

This guy wrote this loving MASSIVE speculation guide for Killer7 and then the developers released a book that basically nullified everything and he flipped out. It was almost 10 years ago, though, so I don't have a link to anything specific.

What a gigantic loser. Should have gone all "DEATH OF THE AUTHOR!!!" on the devs, instead.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I just realized that the most annoying thing about the new Agape Ring is that I'll basically have to reroll every single one of my characters that I want to do PvP with, since they all have really bloated SM by this point.

Not the end of the world or anything, but still. Then again, maybe by then the game will feel all exciting and new again.

Is there any word yet on whether the ring will be in the new version only, or is it going to be patched in for everyone? If it's exclusive to the new version, I guess you'd be rerolling anyway.

edit: Also, just a random question: Why doesn't anyone seem to use the Engraved Gauntlets? The wiki says the effect procs something like 15% of the time, which seems crazy good for faster weapons. There aren't a whole hell of a lot of gauntlets with unique effects, especially for melee-oriented builds. (Are there any others at all? Casters get Penal Handcuffs and Lion Mage, but that's all I can think of)

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 17, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there any word yet on whether the ring will be in the new version only, or is it going to be patched in for everyone? If it's exclusive to the new version, I guess you'd be rerolling anyway.

Bottom of the patch notes that include the Agape Ring blurb in them:

quote:

Scheduled maintenance for this update (Xbox 360, PS3, Steam):
2/4 6:00 AM - 9:00 AM PST
2/4 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM EST
2/4 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM GMT
2/4 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM CET
2/4 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM 2/5 JST

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Alabaster White posted:

That thing is longer than my bachelor thesis :catstare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The smelter demon there is an optional side boss. Have you fought the main boss of the area yet? It was the hardest fight in the game for me and also my favorite. That boss strikes the perfect note of completely manageable bullshit.

Well I spent the last how many I don't know hours fighting the Fume Knight and finally got him down, and you're right - it was the hardest fight in the game so far. It was completely down to me making mistakes though and not any unfair bullshit from the game itself - the guy is fast and hits hard and has a lot of tough moves but he's manageable so long as you pay attention, be patient, and most importantly DON'T PANIC (I panicked a lot!).

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

edit: Also, just a random question: Why doesn't anyone seem to use the Engraved Gauntlets? The wiki says the effect procs something like 15% of the time, which seems crazy good for faster weapons. There aren't a whole hell of a lot of gauntlets with unique effects, especially for melee-oriented builds. (Are there any others at all? Casters get Penal Handcuffs and Lion Mage, but that's all I can think of)

They weigh 5.0 which is a little heavy for gloves, maybe that is why?

Try them out, you get a noise and a visual effect every time the gauntlets trigger so you know when it happens.. I don't think it is 15%, maybe closer to 5% either way it is better than nothing, more of a nice little 'bonus' that pops up from time to time. I usually wear them just for the reasons you stated, it is basically the only melee altering glove apart from the Shadow Gloves which add to your bleed attacks but who gives a gently caress about bleed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Willfrey posted:

They weigh 5.0 which is a little heavy for gloves, maybe that is why?

Try them out, you get a noise and a visual effect every time the gauntlets trigger so you know when it happens.. I don't think it is 15%, maybe closer to 5% either way it is better than nothing, more of a nice little 'bonus' that pops up from time to time. I usually wear them just for the reasons you stated, it is basically the only melee altering glove apart from the Shadow Gloves which add to your bleed attacks but who gives a gently caress about bleed.

The Sanctum soldier Gauntlets add to poison.
Stack that with the Rat's crest and rotten pine resin and a poison infusion and wowzers you have all the poison damage in the world.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Engraved gauntles look ugly so I don't use them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Sanctum soldier Gauntlets add to poison.
Stack that with the Rat's crest and rotten pine resin and a poison infusion and wowzers you have all the poison damage in the world.

This was basically one of my gimmick invader builds with two manslayer katanas.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

lordfrikk posted:

Don't forget someone did a 108 page rebuttal to the Plinkett Phantom Menace review.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

lordfrikk posted:

I was going to joke about yours being short until I checked it myself, That dude has me beat by 5 pages as pure text alone. :stare:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Truly the key to being productive is soul-devouring obsession bordering on insanity

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What do you guys think of the blue flame sword?
I suppose its no replacement for a proper catalyst, but its also not really a great sword.

I guess one could infuse it with magic and take a shield in the left, does that really pay off?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I suppose its no replacement for a proper catalyst, but its also not really a great sword.

I guess one could infuse it with magic and take a shield in the left, does that really pay off?

More than you think.
It rockets up to one of the best magic catalysts when you CMW it with a magic infusion.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Without using bonfire ascetic, how stingy is the game with upgrade materials?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

double nine posted:

Without using bonfire ascetic, how stingy is the game with upgrade materials?

Not very. Twinkling is the only material you have to do some grinding for if you want to max more than a couple of weapons and a full armor set that require it. Chunks too, but you will eventually be able to buy those in the very late game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Well I spent the last how many I don't know hours fighting the Fume Knight and finally got him down, and you're right - it was the hardest fight in the game so far. It was completely down to me making mistakes though and not any unfair bullshit from the game itself - the guy is fast and hits hard and has a lot of tough moves but he's manageable so long as you pay attention, be patient, and most importantly DON'T PANIC (I panicked a lot!).

Yeah I really like the Fume Knight fight. Most other bosses are intimidating at first but then pretty dang easy once you know them. I just rolled a new character and ran through the game without summoning phantoms and beat half the bosses on my first try, the other half only two or maybe three tries. Fume Knight is still a proper challenge though, but he's not invincible. Its good.

I actually haven't done the 'co-op areas' of the DLC yet, its the last bit of Dark Souls 2 I've been saving for myself. They sound like they're not the best, but I'm gonna dig into em now (probably with a friend) so that's exciting.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

More than you think.
It rockets up to one of the best magic catalysts when you CMW it with a magic infusion.

Can it buff itself or do you still need a catalyst for that?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Can it buff itself or do you still need a catalyst for that?

You need a catalyst. You can use a Blue Flame in one hand to buff one in the other, though. Powerstanced blues flames is quite effective (especially in PVP) since the powerstance moves make up for the lack of r2 moves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had to beat up a big kitty cat :smith:

Then I had to find out the hard way you're meant to backtrack and find some knights to help you in The Old Chaos :doh:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I had this great idea about powerstancing a Blue Flame with the Fume Sword on my hexer that fell apart when I realized the Blue Flame won't let you cast hexes, even the ones that cast off a staff. (None of the spell-casting weapons will let you cast hexes, but the miracle-casting Pilgrim's Spontoon will, which is kind of lousy if you ask me.) Eventually I decided to rejigger my character a bit and just do it anyway slotting spells instead of hexes (it's not like I didn't have the Int to be decent at spells) and it's pretty fun even if it isn't the most optimal thing in the world.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

I had this great idea about powerstancing a Blue Flame with the Fume Sword on my hexer that fell apart when I realized the Blue Flame won't let you cast hexes, even the ones that cast off a staff. (None of the spell-casting weapons will let you cast hexes, but the miracle-casting Pilgrim's Spontoon will, which is kind of lousy if you ask me.) Eventually I decided to rejigger my character a bit and just do it anyway slotting spells instead of hexes (it's not like I didn't have the Int to be decent at spells) and it's pretty fun even if it isn't the most optimal thing in the world.

You can totally cast sorceries and staff-based hexes with the Spontoon. I'm using that weapon with my hexer character right now, actually.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Salt & Sanctuary really looks amazing. I was disappointed to read that it's only for PS4 and PS Vita since I don't plan on getting those in the foreseeable future, but I found that sentence on the devs' homepage: "Update: For those of you worried, this is a launch exclusivity, not forever. " which means it will be released for PC eventually, right?

I'm also hyped about the february patch and the improvements in online matchmaking and PS3 loading times (oh god the loading times are so horrible). As a big fan of coop, I always thought it was a bummer that consistent summons are limited to very few places in the game - I guess 80% of my Sunlight Medals were gained fighting regular Smelter Demon. At any other place I had to wait far too long.
It was similar in DS1 with O&S, but less of a problem because that is such an amazing bossfight and it can play out differently depending on the hosts build and who you kill first. Smelter Demon is the exact same fight over and over again.
The highlighting of areas and the ability to help players in higher NGs sound amazing to me. I don't particularly like NG+ because some of those red phantoms are completely bullshit. I love being invaded, it's a core part of the game for me. On my current (only) NG+ game I am stuck right before DC. There is a red phantom on the stairs with a two-handed hammer and ~5000 hp that can do the three-hits spinning attack with zero windup or telegraph and it instakills me with 40Vit and heavy armor. I could run away like a baby and plink at him with arrows but that's so stupid that I rather play my new hexdex build on regular NG. Dark Roaring Halberd forever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I decided to respec my character to try out some hexes, and ... do hexes require a specific equipment loadout and/or stat set? Because so far I've been underwhelmed by the damage that they do. I've been told that dark sorceries are amazing but ... I just don't see it ?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

double nine posted:

I decided to respec my character to try out some hexes, and ... do hexes require a specific equipment loadout and/or stat set? Because so far I've been underwhelmed by the damage that they do. I've been told that dark sorceries are amazing but ... I just don't see it ?

30 INT + FTH with a Dark Sunset Staff or Dark Caitha's Chime for max power.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

double nine posted:

30/30 int/faith, 18/18 strength/dex is a good start. Dark Sunset staff +5 has S scaling and 319 dark damage. Take that and dark orb and you do about 500 damage per shot to most things in the game. 18/18 str/dex lets you powerstance estocs.

In my right hand slots I have dark estoc, chime if I'm carrying a heal or two around for invasions, and something flame imbued like maybe the flame longsword from the start of the game. Left hand is dark sunset staff, shield, flame estoc.

Just the dark imbued dark buffed estoc with a shield is pretty nuts. 400+ damage on most things, can easily do 200-400 in PVP per stab. Dark orbs do a ton of sustained damage for relatively low attunement cost.

I would seriously consider Hexxer to be on par with DSP's lightning spear spam if you just build it to have 2+ copies of dark orb and the gear to really use it.

Just make sure that you're ready to use the RoB and Flynns when you get to the DLCs. They are miserable if you're not packing some serious physical damage. And maybe think about the dragonslayer's bow at some point.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 19, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

double nine posted:

Both chime hexes and lightning spear used to be a lot more powerful than they are now.

With the current calibrations, it feels like pure faith builds are best left to respec into late in the game. Your offensive spells are either highly situational, weak, or not available until late, and the buffs that are actually interesting aren't available until late as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Decided to go ahead and farm the shadow set on my new char. Got all the drops but pants. Farmed it for a good hour, only died once, got two helmets, but no pants. :argh:

Eh gently caress it, I'm moving on. At least I got the ninja chest piece, and that wicked helmet.