Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The only thing that's kept me off Imperial Assault is all those miniature packs they are putting out as mini-expansions. If I get IA my OCD will prevent me from not buying every expansion, and that's gonna be insanely expensive. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

So it turns out that the new Ascension expansion has some pretty good combos.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The only thing that's kept me off Imperial Assault is all those miniature packs they are putting out as mini-expansions. If I get IA my OCD will prevent me from not buying every expansion, and that's gonna be insanely expensive. :ohdear:

I'm excited that they come with additional missions in a way I shouldn't be. The prices seem reasonable. Maybe I'll buy a few at a time and run through a campaign again that way :(

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

GrandpaPants posted:

Now I'm imagining that the families in Agricola are like the Peacock family from the X-Files episode "Home." :stonk:

I've never been terribly interested in playing Agricola until now.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

xopods posted:

You'd think they'd catch something like that in playtesting. That's disgusting.

Edit:

VVVVVVVV Yeah, I know, but one can hope, can't I?

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 16, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

OmegaGoo posted:

:cawg:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

One historian to another, If you only have limited funds and intend to buy just one game skip LoW. Buy Agricola instead. You can play the family mode and it's basically the same thing as LoW, but Agricola comes with 3 more level of complexity above that. You will get infinitely more replay value from Agricola. You are literally me about one year ago: watching Tabletop and buying Lords of Waterdeep as my first designer board game. It collects dust now, learn from me and just get Agricola.

To continue the Agricola chat, this is some great advice. I was turned off by it because of how verbose it seems, but I do love me some agriculture. Now I just have to convince my gf that subsistence is totally rad.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

Good one.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Playtesting Ascension is the realization that it would take a goddamn miracle to actually form a combo in the first place.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I actually don't think it's a problem, at least for iOS play, because the game's so fast. It would have been a gigantic problem in a live game if I insisted on actually playing the turn out, since it would have taken half an hour probably.

But anyway, certain combos are knockout blows, but the game end condition being what it is, actually getting that combo going will end the game within a turn or two. If your opponent doesn't resign first. Oddly, this guy didn't, but I think he just wanted to see how many points I'd actually get. I surely would have gone over 1000 if I'd been thinking about optimal order more for certain things, but no way I was going to AP myself over that.

But yeah, certain cards are extremely poorly balanced, particularly Adayu the Tormented/Serene in this expansion. It's possible for one player to get him and not win, but only if that player's deck is already pretty big/insufficiently culled, and/or the game is almost over. Adayu the Serene in a well-culled deck with many Enlightened cards is an auto-win unless the opponent can end the game before he comes up.

EDIT: Unless they are utterly lacking in the ability to anticipate the consequences of rules, I suspect Multi-Unite was actually added on purpose to this expansion because players like ridiculous mega-combos. Pretty much all triggered effects in past expansions were "once this turn" in order to prevent run-on combos, which suggests they were aware of this as a potential problem, and deliberately decided to take the brakes off this time around.

xopods fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 16, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not strictly board games, but is this something to be excited about : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/16/holy-ships-battlefleet-gothic-armada-announced/

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So today I got a shipping notice from DHL that Czech Games has shipped something my way. What could it beeee? :iiam:

It's finally arriving :dance:

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Just played a three person game of Dixit Journey with two people completely new to boardgames, and now both of them want a copy of their own.:cool: Is there any substantial difference between the Dixit editions? Journey seems to cost a lot more than the others.

vvvvvv If you and your group were having fun then gently caress that person, if it was meant in a derogatory manner.

papasyhotcakes fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 17, 2015

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Played the intro mission of SPACE ALERT with my group, and it was a huge hit! One of the onlookers though commented that "the game was very, very nerdy, and not, you know, the good kind of nerdy, it was the bad one."

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I didn't know there was a good kind of nerdy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hope that was said in jest, otherwise gently caress that person.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Rexides posted:

One of the onlookers though commented that "the game was very, very nerdy, and not, you know, the good kind of nerdy, it was the bad one."

I'm having trouble parsing what that's even supposed to mean.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Rexides posted:

Played the intro mission of SPACE ALERT with my group, and it was a huge hit! One of the onlookers though commented that "the game was very, very nerdy, and not, you know, the good kind of nerdy, it was the bad one."

Only someone jumping on the geek-chic bandwagon in the last couple years could be deluded into thinking there's a 'good' nerdy. Nerdy is nerdy, people need to stop deluding themselves.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Not Big Bang Theory or Magic, probably.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Echophonic posted:

Not Big Bang Theory or Magic, probably.

Not, but BBT makes nerds relatable and mainstream!

:audience laughter:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ETB posted:

Not, but BBT makes nerds relatable and mainstream!

:audience laughter:
Banzangoo

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Green Bay Packers, please make us cool. I'm gonna email wilwheaton and challenge him to do space alert on the show, dammit

edit: Also, the expression ~DOUCHE CHILLS~ in a funny voice was pretty much made for that scenario above except that term has been bro-opted by the broletariat and is now recursive :negative:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 17, 2015

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I guess "not the nerdy stuff that's popular enough to be relatable to non-nerds through cultural osmosis or Hollywood backing, like X-Men or Lord of the Rings". At least that's the impression I got.

e: speaking of space alert, I would definitely buy this edition if it ever came out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIan7z-EWcQ

Rexides fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 17, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Green Bay Packers, please make us cool. I'm gonna email wilwheaton and challenge him to do space alert on the show, dammit

edit: Also, the expression ~DOUCHE CHILLS~ in a funny voice was pretty much made for that scenario above except that term has been bro-opted by the broletariat and is now recursive :negative:

Are we doing terrible Bro puns?

Broseidon, ruler of all Broceans
Napoleon Bronaparte
Broseph Stalin (galvanizer of Broletariat)

:regd08:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

xopods posted:

Ahahaha what the hell, that ridiculous

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

You know how some people are fans of stuff like Comic books and comic book movies and fantasy, but they still can interact with society and maintain relationships that don't hinge on inside jokes and catch phrases, but on the other end of the spectrum there are Firefly fans? I think he meant that. Not defending his remarks, just saying that's how it sounded to me.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The End posted:

Only someone jumping on the geek-chic bandwagon in the last couple years could be deluded into thinking there's a 'good' nerdy. Nerdy is nerdy, people need to stop deluding themselves.

This is the honest truth.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Stelas posted:

I've been playing Imperial Assault against a friend and it feels a lot more balanced than Descent 2e ever did, and that's coming from several campaign's worth of experience. The Overlord has more ways to customize himself and has some legitimately strong powers that don't rely on luck to draw, while the heroes are guaranteed an acceptable amount of gold and xp to keep boosting themselves up. The missions seem like they're balancing out better - both sides are neck-and-neck in how many missions they've won - and the reinforcement rules and events mid-mission are much more flexible. The fact you can 'partially succeed' at quests means it's not so black and white. Basically, I'm impressed.

Dammit.

I want to believe this. I want the balanced, flavorful, asymmetric-but-fun-for-both-sides, campaign-oriented version of this game concept that I've been craving since the Doom boardgame that originally kicked the whole thing off. But I've been burned by every iteration so far. (Honestly, the closest they've come for me was 1st edition Descent, even though there wasn't a campaign there until the third expansion and even then it didn't really properly mix with existing content and it was too easy to get permanently screwed. And game sessions took way too long.)

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

malkav11 posted:

Dammit.

I want to believe this. I want the balanced, flavorful, asymmetric-but-fun-for-both-sides, campaign-oriented version of this game concept that I've been craving since the Doom boardgame that originally kicked the whole thing off. But I've been burned by every iteration so far. (Honestly, the closest they've come for me was 1st edition Descent, even though there wasn't a campaign there until the third expansion and even then it didn't really properly mix with existing content and it was too easy to get permanently screwed. And game sessions took way too long.)

Imperial Assault is good, get it. The campaign really works. Keeping in mind that it is a dice driven game, every mission we had ended with a narrow victory. Every mission, I am watching rebels customise their characters and shape their playstyes further into something different than the other figures on the board. Similarly my imperials are shaping up and I am learning how to play with them a little more.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I bought Red 7 the other day, and just got to try it this evening with the basic rules. I really enjoyed it. I think this is what Fluxx should be. The "goal" changes constantly, but there's actual tactics that go into it, beyond "I play this goal, and win".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OmegaGoo posted:

There was a combo in the base set to take infinite turns which effectively won you the game.

At least this one seems to happen all in one turn.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

For those of you who care about Yomi

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/sirlin-games-announces-complete-yomi-release-schedule

All 20 Yomi 2.0 characters will be released through July.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quidnose posted:

Ahahaha what the hell, that ridiculous

:smuggo:

That was a day one score and I've beaten it by a little since, but 1400 points still eludes me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played a 4 player game of Patchistory today, took 3.5 hours including setup and explanation.

Overall I really liked the game. I really wish I had experience in Through the Ages so I can compare, but an onlooker noticed that there was a lot less downtime in Patchistory than TTA and that he really liked the bidding mechanic. That is the extent of my comparisons.

A few random comments about the game, written as coherently as can be expected at 1 AM.

I thought that Transportation was mostly worthless past like, 2-3. Maybe it would have been more useful if I had reason to shuffle my dudes around, but I didn't really. They were all devoted to making points (and one guy making Politics on a Culture building). Maybe it also would have been more useful if I had taken a more warlike stance. War is sorta hard to commit to in the beginning since, well, you never know when that would pan out and alliances are suuuper useful.

I really like the patching mechanic. Makes for a lot of interesting decisions, where you agonize over wanting a patch but not being able to actually fit it in a reasonable way. And then someone bids against you anyway so fuckit I guess. Really, really cool mechanic. I like this spatial design space

The one thing that really fell flat was the whole voting/objective system. There was like, no reason not to go all in on the one tile that either gave you the most points or screwed you the least. Since when they're revealed they're open information, you can just see who won what and just throw in your votes for whatever is optimal. If there was a reason to ever split up your votes, it was completely lost on me. A part of me wishes that the objective with the most votes would be worth, say, 20 points to the winner, 10 for second, 0 for third, -10 for last, the objective with the second most votes would be 10 to the winner, 5 for second, etc (points to be adjusted for actual balance instead of made up). At least this way it makes the whole voting thing interesting and make you care about how much the other players have, instead of basically having votes = points or negative points.

One major strike was that there was a kingmaking issue. One player in last place (by about 70 points from the person in third...) literally bid on an objective where everyone else but the person who was netting 48 points (through some ridiculous combo) a turn was in last place. That is, he threw in his 10 votes so that everyone, including himself, lost 5 points, but the winner then got an additional 10. That 15 point gap was enough to allow the person in first to beat the person in second, which happened to be me, so I'm sorta bitter about that. gently caress kingmaking.

Aside from that major design flaw and the weird thing with the voting, I'd definitely play it again. I really, really like the bidding and patching mechanic.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

enigmahfc posted:

You know how some people are fans of stuff like Comic books and comic book movies and fantasy, but they still can interact with society and maintain relationships that don't hinge on inside jokes and catch phrases, but on the other end of the spectrum there are Firefly fans? I think he meant that. Not defending his remarks, just saying that's how it sounded to me.

Yeah, that's what I reckon too. Nerdy has two sides - the "smart" side and the "antisocial" side. "Good nerdy" has more of the former than the latter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Transportation is vital if you're able to actually get the war train rolling. You need to be able to start and end a trade route in a single turn if you want to make war efficiently. But I've played it three times and thus far not even come close to waging war successfully even once, let alone a bunch of times as a main strat.

The cards... if you're able to track how many votes people are getting, you can theoretically work out how many they'll put in and work to knocking out all of the cards which do good things for other people - but it's hellish difficult to track and gets very difficult to judge anyway. One time when the game went against me I wound up with no good way to spend any of my 20 or so votes it was really annoying.

So yeah, that is a flaw in the game, I'd agree.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Gort posted:

Yeah, that's what I reckon too. Nerdy has two sides - the "smart" side and the "antisocial" side. "Good nerdy" has more of the former than the latter.

In that case I'd put SPACE ALERT on the "Good" side of nerdy, you need to be smart and also able to communicate with others to beat it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You're all overcomplicating it, it's literally just "thing I don't recognize = bad nerdy, thing I personally like and am comfortable with = good nerdy"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
yeah, it's literally just "it's not batman or star wars? you guys are loving pieces of poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

There's something I have been pondering lately - why is it that no one has been able to improve upon Dominion? So many games have come and gone over the last six years yet not one has been able to improve upon its formula. Did Donald sell his soul or something? Or did he just some how make a game that is mechanically flawless?

It just boggles my mind that nothing has come along to bump it off the deck building throne.