Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

zakharov posted:

Let me guess, Krugman/Wells Microeconomics?

I used that textbook in undergrad and I don't remember seeing Rall in it. (Of course, this was before my brain was broken by this thread)

Which cartoon is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Webguy posted:

Those warthogs in the media are at it again. What a bunch of warthogs.

This is a couple pages back now but man, I'm really loving sick of American cartoonists using the CH shooting to bitch about how nobody's hiring them. Here's a thought: maybe a big reason why no one is paying you idiots to draw cartoons in papers is because you all loving SUCK. Most of these idiots don't contribute meaningfully to political discourse because they have so little to say and they're so lovely at saying it without just writing :words:, in which case, why not just run a goddamn editorial piece?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

majormonotone posted:

I used that textbook in undergrad and I don't remember seeing Rall in it. (Of course, this was before my brain was broken by this thread)

Which cartoon is it?

You can see it on page 3 here: http://www.amazon.com/Microeconomics-Paul-Krugman/dp/1429283424

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

zakharov posted:

Let me guess, Krugman/Wells Microeconomics?

Yeah. I just don't get how Rall of all people can get into a textbook except as an example of how not to draw.
edit:^I mean look at that, the joke is "those kids and their crazy netspeak!"

Fates End fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 17, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have no idea why anyone is talking about Charlie's caricatures of Muslims when we have this guy around.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Obama went forward in time so that he could release people that had-- in our current timeline-- been kidnapped, tortured, and held for over ten years without any legal justication.

He took those people back in time so that they could cause the massacre of journalists. He did this. It's real. People who have been tortured for a decade have no reason to feel wronged, they just hate our Freedoms™

Obama can time travel; he is both unstoppable powerful in destroying Are Freedoms yet is also completely impotent against Invincible Putin.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
From back in 2009:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fates End posted:

From back in 2009:

I can't even tell what angle this is coming from...

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's facetious.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
My eyes don't even register DbD, but I stopped to read this one, auuuugh. This is awful!

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

While struggling to harness the secrets of fire, Thag invents the first Department of Motor Vehicles.

(With apologies to Gary Larson)

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

From the comments:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fates End posted:

Yeah. I just don't get how Rall of all people can get into a textbook except as an example of how not to draw.
edit:^I mean look at that, the joke is "those kids and their crazy netspeak!"

Krugman is the kind of guy who wears a Tuxedo to an Arcadefire show. He's just an odd duck.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

RyokoTK posted:

This is a couple pages back now but man, I'm really loving sick of American cartoonists using the CH shooting to bitch about how nobody's hiring them. Here's a thought: maybe a big reason why no one is paying you idiots to draw cartoons in papers is because you all loving SUCK. Most of these idiots don't contribute meaningfully to political discourse because they have so little to say and they're so lovely at saying it without just writing :words:, in which case, why not just run a goddamn editorial piece?

I mean, the part that makes it the most ironic is that the cartoonists who worked on CH started the magazine themselves! It's basically the equivalent of an alt-weekly founded by a bunch of cartoonists, so why can't you dumb whiny fucks do the same goddamn thing?????

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Everyday Everyday Everyday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmf-TW5rWiY

TheGreenAvenger posted:

I mean, the part that makes it the most ironic is that the cartoonists who worked on CH started the magazine themselves! It's basically the equivalent of an alt-weekly founded by a bunch of cartoonists, so why can't you dumb whiny fucks do the same goddamn thing?????

Because that would require effort and many/most of those whiny fucks are lazy hacks.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I read this and all I could think of is that comic with Commissioner Gordon going "Come on Batman, save Gotham!" and replaced it with Ramirez going "Come on Obama, say Radical Islam! DO IT OBAMA loving OBAMA I loving HATE YOU"

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Because that would require effort and many/most of those whiny fucks are lazy hacks.

I have a friend who publishes a cartoon newspaper in Oregon. It's nothing like Charlie Hebdo, tho (rarely political, and content is PG at most), although it's pretty fun.

He's struggling to keep it going, though. He can only afford to publish three issues a year. That said, he managed to keep it going for several years, and I know people read it whenever a new issue comes out, so he must be doing something right.

There's also a monthly newspaper called "The Funny Times". It's a collection of political cartoons and columns. Guys like Matt Bors, Ted Rall, Clay Bennett, Nina Paley, and Keith Knight are regulars there. I used to subscribe to it, although I let it lapse. I still have a few copies of it.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 17, 2015

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Perhaps you have spent too long in dnd

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Someone's going to have to step up big time to claim the most blatantly racist award this year holy poo poo. You can just feel the pure bile and hatred in every single line.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

TheGreenAvenger posted:

While they are being a bit bitter, the investment costs in trying to start a print paper like CH would be difficult for many of these cartoonists. I think some have tried to do similar things on the web, but again they aren't exactly profitable ventures or stable income.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Neeksy posted:

While they are being a bit bitter, the investment costs in trying to start a print paper like CH would be difficult for many of these cartoonists. I think some have tried to do similar things on the web, but again they aren't exactly profitable ventures or stable income.

Like I said above with my friend, I can vouch that.

Matt Bors does "The Nib" online, although it's not as provocative like Hebdo.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Neeksy posted:

The same could be said for CH, which was on the edge of bankruptcy when the shootings happened.

RyokoTK posted:

As a corollary to that, can we also add the cartoonists portraying themselves at risk of attack? No one gives a poo poo, guys.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

A short history of right wing terror attacks in the US since 9/11, courtesy of the SPLC

I'd post them all but it would go over the post word limit.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mister Beeg posted:

I have a friend who publishes a cartoon newspaper in Oregon. It's nothing like Charlie Hebdo, tho (rarely political, and content is PG at most), although it's pretty fun.

He's struggling to keep it going, though. He can only afford to publish three issues a year. That said, he managed to keep it going for several years, and I know people read it whenever a new issue comes out, so he must be doing something right.

There's also a monthly newspaper called "The Funny Times". It's a collection of political cartoons and columns. Guys like Matt Bors, Ted Rall, Clay Bennett, Nina Paley, and Keith Knight are regulars there. I used to subscribe to it, although I let it lapse. I still have a few copies of it.

Yeah, what I said was pretty mean and patronizing. Sorry. Sometime I forget that cartoonists who's last names aren't "Gorrell" work really hard and are often under appreciated.

Anyway, all this talk of Romney running again inspired me to reread "On the Campaign trail": http://onthecampaigntrail.org/ I suggest you all do the same.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the discovery of Beagle 2 on Mars – New images show that the UK's Beagle 2 successfully landed on the surface of Mars in 2003 but failed to fully deploy its solar panels"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Pope Francis: 'Curse my mother, expect a punch' After Francis Bacon.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Did he mean to juxtapose reactions to a cartoon with (possible) reactions to police murdering people in public?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

A Berserk cartoon?

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 17, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Granted the pope's comment was pretty loving stupid, but is that Times cartoon calling him a crypto-Muslim? :psyduck:

Also I'm pretty sure he meant faith in general, not just Islam.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The veins dear god

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kurtofan posted:

Granted the pope's comment was pretty loving stupid, but is that Times cartoon calling him a crypto-Muslim? :psyduck:

Also I'm pretty sure he meant faith in general, not just Islam.

He did, the second part was that violence should never be used as an excuse for religion. It's funnier to lampoon him saying you should punch someone and not a comment that it is human nature to have a violent thought when something gravely insults something very important to you.

The contraception pushing he was doing is dumber but harder to lampoon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Post 9-11 User posted:

Did he mean to juxtapose reactions to a cartoon with (possible) reactions to police murdering people in public?

How are you getting that from this image? Did you miss the part where the broken window is a mosque?

The implication is that both the gunmen who shot up Charlie Hebdo and the people who attacked mosques and other Islamic places afterwards in revenge are extremists, who see the world in black and white rather than shades of grey. That's all.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
The world would be a better place if we could all resolve our problems, not with a gun but with a picture of a farting penis.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Susie "Daryl's daughter" Cagle is currently on a courtroom gig for the Forbes, covering the Silk Road trial.
https://twitter.com/susie_c
http://www.forbes.com/silk-road-trial/

Special agent Yog-Sothoth deserves to have his own agent cartoon:

Co-starring this guy, probably.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Somehow looks more human and approachable than the real Mitt Romney. Like a Muppet.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

vyelkin posted:

How are you getting that from this image? Did you miss the part where the broken window is a mosque?

Actually, yes, I missed that. I presumed the former image of police referred to the two recent shootings of NYPD. I dun goofed.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

I found the first Randy Bish Obama

oh wait no I meant this one

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sometime I forget that cartoonists who's last names aren't "Gorrell" work really hard and are often under appreciated.

Bob Gorrell really is a special case. Like, the lengths he goes thru to avoid work is something of an achievement of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dimebags Brain posted:

Someone's going to have to step up big time to claim the most blatantly racist award this year holy poo poo. You can just feel the pure bile and hatred in every single line.

The bottom left guy appears to have his head on fire, or at least trailing smoke. No wonder he's running around in a panic.

• Locked thread