Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

Hmmm, no, you don't need to do the "how could you not know!!" thing just because I don't know the full history of some let's players. I've watched C&I's MGR and W101 playthroughs and that's it, I have read like...3 threads in Let's Play, ever. Are retsupuraes when someone commentates over someone else's playthrough videos because I watched a few of the...slowbeef ones I think and found them intensely unfunny so I stopped watching them.

It's when people riff on videos of bad let's players and bad let's plays. They are mostly done by Slowbeef and Diabetus, sometimes done by Chip and Ironicus, and Lowtax attempted to do it but he was really bad at it so instead he did that gaming garbage thing. Some people find them to be in poor taste but if you go way back in time you'll find that people were actually asking Slowbeef to retsupurae their videos and they did it in good humor, but that was back in the days before people were ruthlessly hunted down and doxxed of by hundreds of people just because 2 dudes made fun of their video (this happened, so now the guys censor usernames in their Retsupurae videos). Chip and Ironicus' bad anime theater and bad blip show theater are more consistently funny but there are occasions where the person being retsupurae'd kind of deserves it for being a dick.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Makes sense. I could've just seen some bad ones, if you want to recommend some good ones(either here or via PM), I'm all ears. I had heard Lowtax was doing youtube videos now but honestly I just don't have the time to keep up with Giant Bomb, SBF, and then a bunch of other dudes on top of it(in terms of video-watching time).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If I'm not mistaken C&I pulled the retsuprae they did on TBFP (it was one of the Silent Hill games, maybe Downpour?) because they themselves thought it was a bit weak. I don't think you can find it on their site anymore.

The Omega FNF taught me two things about SBFP: they hate fireballs and don't know what a snake is. C'mon, C.Viper.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

Dias posted:

If I'm not mistaken C&I pulled the retsuprae they did on TBFP (it was one of the Silent Hill games, maybe Downpour?) because they themselves thought it was a bit weak. I don't think you can find it on their site anymore.

Yeah, you nailed the aftermath, but I think it was the first Cabela game Matt and Pat did for Machinima.

Here's Pat after seeing the video:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ApeHawk posted:

Man, all the talk about Pat and Liam doing more RPGs and listing off all of them and god I really want them to LP Fallout: New Vegas.

As much as I love New Vegas,I think this would be really bad idea. For one you'll end up with another 80+ part LP like Dark Souls because the game is so goddamn long and it's incredibly buggy/unstable so it would probably crash constantly.

I've also seen what happens when you try to make fun of or criticize New Vegas so I doubt it would be fun for Pat or Liam either.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Kimmalah posted:

As much as I love New Vegas,I think this would be really bad idea. For one you'll end up with another 80+ part LP like Dark Souls because the game is so goddamn long and it's incredibly buggy/unstable so it would probably crash constantly.

I've also seen what happens when you try to make fun of or criticize New Vegas so I doubt it would be fun for Pat or Liam either.

That, and personally I feel first person games don't translate so well to the Long Play medium. There's just something weird about it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Makes sense. I could've just seen some bad ones, if you want to recommend some good ones(either here or via PM), I'm all ears. I had heard Lowtax was doing youtube videos now but honestly I just don't have the time to keep up with Giant Bomb, SBF, and then a bunch of other dudes on top of it(in terms of video-watching time).

I have no PMs and I must post.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL324B02FF38ACFDBB

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL036EF97BD003BE08

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Invictus posted:

Hmmm, no, you don't need to do the "how could you not know!!" thing just because I don't know the full history of some let's players. I've watched C&I's MGR and W101 playthroughs and that's it, I have read like...3 threads in Let's Play, ever. Are retsupuraes when someone commentates over someone else's playthrough videos because I watched a few of the...slowbeef ones I think and found them intensely unfunny so I stopped watching them.

Dude, until relatively recently his main youtube channel that had all the LP stuff also had all the Retsupuraes they did. I just assumed if you followed them maybe you'd have caught a whiff of some shenanigans going down.

Navigatr is the good poo poo.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dude, until relatively recently his main youtube channel that had all the LP stuff also had all the Retsupuraes they did. I just assumed if you followed them maybe you'd have caught a whiff of some shenanigans going down.

Ever since the C&I website went up, I don't think I ever seen Chip's actual Youtube channel in years. Same goes for The Sw1tcher channel; I've spent more of the end of last year watching on the 2BF site instead. It used to be that C&I Retsupuraes were on a separate channel than LPs, and if someone switched to watching only on the C&I site they'd never know that information from there.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually they've always had the LPs on a separate channel from the retsupuraes, just because their RP channel always had too many strikes on it to upload videos over fifteen minutes.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I fell face first into the gooey miasma that was The Best Friends when a friend from work was all "Hey, I think this youtube guy is the guy that used to do this flophouse poo poo and they're doing Resident Evil 2 right now, you like Resident Evil 2 right?" And then shortly after in another playthrough Matt threw a fire axe and promptly got his butthole gnawed by a screaming lady all while Pat tried not to die via laughing and I was in it for the long haul.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I fell down into the zaibatsu hole by watching the downpour playthrough, before that i had only seen a couple of machinima videos and didnt think that much for it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Retsutalk for me. I don't remember if I started watching before or after Pat was on, since he was an episode or two after Woolie. I think one of the playthroughs that was going on during that point was what got me hooked, and then I went back and watched Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy. Started Beyond but it's so unbearably boring that I couldn't finish it.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
While I was a casual fan, at least of the Machinima stuff this thread actually made me a huge fan through the Friendcast, especially since I'm always a fan of new podcasts, they Zaibatsu helped me deal with the period of mourning for my grandmother in December 2013/January 2014.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What is with Pat and saying "excuse me" constantly to the undead?

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Tae posted:

What is with Pat and saying "excuse me" constantly to the undead?

Be respectful and polite to those who have left and returned this mortal coil.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chip and Ironicus RPed their their season 2 Cabela episode that they did for Machinina. Chip and Ironicus have since they removed the video and Matt admitted he had no hard feelings about it but he was kind of annoyed by Chip's statement that their Metal Gear shtick to hype up Season 3 was his. That was my first experience with SBF and I thought they were just lovely youtube LPers. Then I watched their Revengeance LP in 2013 when someone posted it in the thread and I realized.

They ARE lovely youtube LPers, but they're lovely youtube LPers with some charm who also actually know about the games they play and don't rely on schlock reactions for views. Their early seasons for Machinina are really bad though, it's come a long way.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

They're my first "LPers" so I'm not sure what people look for in an LP, but I've watched all their Machinima videos and thought they've always been hilarious :/.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

goldblums eyes posted:

They're my first "LPers" so I'm not sure what people look for in an LP, but I've watched all their Machinima videos and thought they've always been hilarious :/.

Standards will vary depending who you ask but the general consensus for people used to the LP Subforum on SA is that people who yell and scream and exaggerate their reactions for "comedic effect" are terrible and there are too many people on youtube whose attitudes are "Yeah this is the ME show, where I play some game i guess, but let's focus on how cool and funny I am" as opposed to actually giving a poo poo about what they're playing. I wouldn't try and de-hype the hypest LPer's on the internet but there admittedly are some points where I'm just thinking "alright guys you don't need to CONSTANTLY be talking to justify your presence, it's okay to let the game speak for itself once in awhile."

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Standards will vary depending who you ask but the general consensus for people used to the LP Subforum on SA is that people who yell and scream and exaggerate their reactions for "comedic effect" are terrible and there are too many people on youtube whose attitudes are "Yeah this is the ME show, where I play some game i guess, but let's focus on how cool and funny I am" as opposed to actually giving a poo poo about what they're playing. I wouldn't try and de-hype the hypest LPer's on the internet but there admittedly are some points where I'm just thinking "alright guys you don't need to CONSTANTLY be talking to justify your presence, it's okay to let the game speak for itself once in awhile."

It's the earnestness for fighting games and their valuable knowledge as testers that gives 2BF a real sense of identity for me. I just don't get that feeling with Markpilier or a Seananners where, charismatic and witty as they may be, are limited to playing the same generic source-engine mods and tacky horror games. I was dreading a full LP of a recent game like Alien: Isolation or Shadows of Mordor after Evil Within, but playing classic games that I've never happened to see all the way through is way more interesting and exciting to me.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

I first found out about SBF back when Matt was still doing videos as TheSw1tcher. It was ether MGS/Like a boss or the Spider-Man stupidity video that I saw first, but after that I was hooked and was happy to see him do some Let's Play with some overactive man-baby.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I still remember Matt's Bison "Yes!" video making its rounds for the first time on 4chan and subbing around that time.

Glad they moved from the camcorder after like the third episode of Best Friends.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I remember stumbling across the Machinima years ago. Back then, with only their voices to draw from, I thought Pat was some buff jock guy and Matt was his normal guy sidekick.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Next-Jin Engine posted:

It's the earnestness for fighting games and their valuable knowledge as testers that gives 2BF a real sense of identity for me. I just don't get that feeling with Markpilier or a Seananners where, charismatic and witty as they may be, are limited to playing the same generic source-engine mods and tacky horror games. I was dreading a full LP of a recent game like Alien: Isolation or Shadows of Mordor after Evil Within, but playing classic games that I've never happened to see all the way through is way more interesting and exciting to me.

Yeah, the Zaibatsu's a fair bit louder than your average SA LP, but they avoid the pitfall of making their humor heavily based on "LOOOOOOL look at this silly name or at this corpse that fell on a dude's crotch," because unlike a Pewdie or Markiplier, they typically also have reasonably insightful praise or critique for the mechanics or the story game they're looking at - the Cage LPs and I have no mouth are pretty good examples in my opinion, which is part of why those were the ones that really got me watching regularly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I learned about 2BFP from a Homestuck animation (I know, I know) based on their Machinima Dead Space video. I liked their stuff there, but it was a bit too...character-y for me sometimes. Then I found out about their RE2 LP and Fighterpedia, and that made me a follower. I've always liked the group-based LPs in this forum (the Freelance Astronauts/Tipping 40s stuff), and SBFP fills that spot for me now.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Dias posted:

Fighterpedia

WHO?

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

The real question is, who's watched the most LPs

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

goldblums eyes posted:

The real question is, who's watched the most LPs

me

So, I had to quit out 16 minutes into the Dying Light video due to 60 fps motion sickness. Was it fine for everyone else?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Good resolutions aren't feasible for me because of my internet plan so I just watched it at 360p which can't support 60fps. Why not do that?
Also good lord why the hell did Pat of all people play through Dead Island? That game is undeniable, awful trash that tried suckering people in with that one misleading trailer. I have no idea how it got so many sequels to boot. Dying Light looks miles ahead of it by comparison.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The first part of dead island where you are at the resort is plenty of fun, then you go to the city and it becomes a bit tedious then there's that lovely jungle and the bullshit prison

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
im literally shaking that pat would say the skill based leveling system was first used in oblivion. hasnt this philistine ever heard of arena?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

gently caress Arena, Daggerfall was the Skyrim of the 90's. you could go ANYWHERE!! and randomly fall through the world geometry

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dying Light seems to have taken Dead Island and replaced the Borderlands with Dark Messiah and Far Cry, which is a ridiculous step up in quality.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This episode of SH2: people freak out like poo poo when Pat keeps examining the knife and the photo.

I like how nonchalant he was about it too.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

For me, I first saw the TBF through the retsuprae video and thought they were just regular Youtube shouty guys. Then a few months back, I saw this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zSyJT5RUR0) SFM animation of Woolie's hype-out of the apartment telekinesis fight in Indigo Prophecy and laughed my rear end off. Watched the rest of the Sadness trilogy, and here we are.

I've grown to really like you guys. Your ramblings are funny as hell, yet you try to focus on the game and you don't play for the cheap seats. (Well, not blatantly.) Personally my favorite parts are when one of you brings your outside knowledge to the game in question, like whenever Pat talks about what he remembers from psych.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I was introduced to them from some of their Machinima videos, and didn't really enjoy their videos that much.

Then I came across them again in that RP that C&I did of them where they mentioned C&I and I was like, "whoa, they actually know these guys? Maybe I underestimated them."

When their MGR:R LP came out and they almost immediately went to look at the moves in the HELP option of the game and actually started analyzing them to prepare for the game, I became a fan.

I'm still a horrible human being who doesn't like fighting/wrestling games, though, and nothing will ever change that.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I knew them as podcasters before I realized they were LPers lol.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
That reminds me, I forgot to post these gifts for Liam from last week's podcast when Matt mentioned he watched New Japanese Pro Wrestling:

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, and also Satoshi Kojima.

RAINMAKER

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
lotta johnny come latelys in this thread. im an og 2bf mark from before they had their current youtube channel :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Dying Light looks mad average.

That being said I hope the boys do more early looks at bigger games.