Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you're massively underpaid, just go somewhere else unless there are a lot of incidentals that make it worth staying. More experience in new places is never a bad thing.

There are so many disadvantages to staying even if you do fight and win for parity - the toes you stepped on, your manager seeing you as either a prima donna or forever devaluing your opinion because you came in low, actually continuing to work for a company who was willing to take advantage of someone, friction from co-workers finding out you got a huge raise and/or were paid peanuts compared to them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 1, 2019

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Is this unusual? I kinda thought most places had a whitelist structure, but again, pretty new.
I feel that 802.1x would probably be a more standard approach to the question of untrusted workstations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 6, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yes, because presumably it's a temporary password that you're expected to change. I'm not sure if you're angling for some horrible breach of security but that's simply not the case.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963906.aspx
I just learned about this ad restore tool recently. It is easy to restore a deleted account, reattach the mailbox and set a new password if an account accidentally gets deleted. Just type > adrestore johndoe to see the accounts and add -r to restore it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Methanar posted:

Is it poor taste to mention an organization's practice of emailing you your username and password in plaintext during early correspondence in a job search setting?

make sure to require 256 bit TLS end to end encryption in any emails they are sending you

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gyshall posted:

make sure to require 256 bit TLS end to end encryption in any emails they are sending you

Not good enough. PGP routed through Tor, with the shared key being provided at a dead drop and written in braille.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

psydude posted:

Not good enough. PGP routed through Tor, with the shared key being provided at a dead drop and written in braille.

Don't forget the exploding ink pack.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Don't forget the exploding ink pack.

Exploding or explosive?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another job offer in Sydney came in... And I only started this job a week ago... The offer is slightly less dollars but at a much larger established organisation with a lot more opportunity for upward mobility than the SMB I'm currently working for has... Argh. I guess better doing this to them now than in 6 months or more...

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Exploding or explosive?

Listen if I have to submit a change control document every goddamned time...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BurgerQuest posted:

Another job offer in Sydney came in... And I only started this job a week ago... The offer is slightly less dollars but at a much larger established organisation with a lot more opportunity for upward mobility than the SMB I'm currently working for has... Argh. I guess better doing this to them now than in 6 months or more...

I don't know if the situation is entirely different down under, but in the States, "opportunity for upward mobility" is not exactly a promise and often the most realistic way to get a raise or a promotion is to quit and find a new job. Not always, but a lot of companies here think that they're already paying you for work and why on earth should they pay you more?

Either way, don't kid yourself; the company you're at now spent resources to hire you, and they want to get some work out of you. They'd much rather you quit in 6 months than after a week. I'm not telling you to stay or that you're morally in the wrong for leaving if that's what you decide to do. But you're not doing them a favor by quitting.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
League of legends is a disease

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 20, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Methanar posted:

Yorick was riot's response to over a year of crying for a pet champion.

League infects everything.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My pet is a floating :( that follows me everywhere

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
AAAAaaa where did your star go?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
We used to play Heroes 3 hotseat at my old job :( All the kids just want to play lollers now

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
The Chief Architect just emailed several people with my boss (Director of Technology Architecture) cc'd asking "What is network virtualization?"

My boss replied all with the shortcode for http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+network+virtualization

This is going to be a fun day :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The Chief Architect just emailed several people with my boss (Director of Technology Architecture) cc'd asking "What is network virtualization?"

My boss replied all with the shortcode for http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+network+virtualization

This is going to be a fun day :)

Did he just ask about VLANs? I'm assuming he's an architect that makes buildings, right? Please?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

Did he just ask about VLANs? I'm assuming he's an architect that makes buildings, right? Please?

I'm going to hope that he's talking about SDN.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of architects, I just met with the one for this building since we're expanding to the floor below. They brought their own IT consultant.

The farthest cable run we have is 250 feet of power-over-ethernet, all 100base-T, but this guy was super gung-ho about cabling everything in Cat6, for a few thousand bucks extra.

I've always used 5e and been fine with even way out of spec (like 500 feet+ runs). The guy told me that Cat6 is thicker gauge wiring than Cat5e, but I don't see anything about that anywhere; Monoprice lists the same gauge for both. I do see it can use more twists per pair to reduce crosstalk, but there's apparently no standard on that either: http://www.howtogeek.com/70494/what-kind-of-ethernet-cat-5e6a-cable-should-i-use/

What's your guys take? Is he trying to upsell us or should I just nab it?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I started running Cat6a for our phones and WAPs and went back to 5e for now. It's a bitch to work with and everything is twice as expensive including patch panels and labor (because gently caress working with Cat6a yourself). If you can afford it I would do it, but you're not missing out otherwise.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of architects, I just met with the one for this building since we're expanding to the floor below. They brought their own IT consultant.

The farthest cable run we have is 250 feet of power-over-ethernet, all 100base-T, but this guy was super gung-ho about cabling everything in Cat6, for a few thousand bucks extra.

I've always used 5e and been fine with even way out of spec (like 500 feet+ runs). The guy told me that Cat6 is thicker gauge wiring than Cat5e, but I don't see anything about that anywhere; Monoprice lists the same gauge for both. I do see it can use more twists per pair to reduce crosstalk, but there's apparently no standard on that either: http://www.howtogeek.com/70494/what-kind-of-ethernet-cat-5e6a-cable-should-i-use/

It's got better shielding. Some NICs have issues running gig with Cat5e, even when it's in the wall. If you have the opportunity to go with C6A, do it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Our cabling guy only uses cat6 between buildings. For inside buildings, it depends on whether code will require fire rated cabling (FT6/plenum) or not (FT4). The FT6 is stiffer and harder to work with

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If he's not installing the cable then who cares?

The only issue I foresee is patch panels and NIC problems - how does that even happen?

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

The price difference is so minimal that I started using Cat6 for all horizontal cable runs years back. We normally have fiber for backbone connections to the IDFs, but shorter runs may have a few Cat6 runs instead. Here at least, we only use cat5e for user connections from their desk to the wall.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
"Why the gently caress didn't these assholes run Cat6?!" - Some guy working at Zero VGS's office years down the road.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

"Director of Marketing needs 10 Gbps to his desktop! FIX IT THIS IS AFFECTING HIS ABILITY TO STREAM NETFLIX IN 4K DURING WORK HOURS PRODUCTION :argh:"

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Gyshall posted:

"Why the gently caress didn't these assholes run Cat6?!" - Some guy working at Zero VGS's office years down the road.

This. Even though it's a pain and/or expensive, do Cat6.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

flosofl posted:

I think he was trying to ask about status or something, but he wrote those 4 words in an email to lots of people. It's embarrassing.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Jesus Cisco is slow to kick off projects. I took a part-time job as a technical writer for a niche product and it has been 2 months since "starting". We had one kick-off meeting at the beginning where half of cisco didn't show up so we postponed it, and since then it has been a bunch of waiting. Supposedly gonna try for another kick-off meeting this week but we'll see.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gyshall posted:

I have a big bundle of mixed cat 5 and 3 because our old Lucent phones didn't need cat 5 so now I kind of have a problem if I want ip phones. Run the best you can reasonably afford.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mayodreams posted:

This. Even though it's a pain and/or expensive, do Cat6.

Hey, I have to deal with some guy's run of Cat3 for our phone T1, it's only fair.

Roargasm posted:

I started running Cat6a for our phones and WAPs and went back to 5e for now. It's a bitch to work with and everything is twice as expensive including patch panels and labor (because gently caress working with Cat6a yourself). If you can afford it I would do it, but you're not missing out otherwise.

Cat6a is allegedly way thicker/heavier than standard Cat6 though, it's almost a whole different thing from what I'm reading. You guys think Cat6 is a happy medium?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Hey, I have to deal with some guy's run of Cat3 for our phone T1, it's only fair.

Cat6a is allegedly way thicker/heavier than standard Cat6 though, it's almost a whole different thing from what I'm reading. You guys think Cat6 is a happy medium?

New cable runs are pretty rare. Take advantage of the opportunity and put in the best you can afford. If you need to justify the cost, cite that you're projecting needs 10 years out and that this will save the company money over having to re-run cable again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a poo poo ton of twinax still in the walls. That stuff is no fun when you need to snake new cables.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
All I'm sayin' is if you have the chance to run new cable, why not put in the new stuff?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are you guys running cabling? It's really something that should be left to electricians.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Tab8715 posted:

Are you guys running cabling? It's really something that should be left to electricians professional cablers.

Fixed. If posts in previous threads are anything to go by, many electricians do a lovely job of data cabling (lovely cable splices, poor punchdowns etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Tab8715 posted:

Are you guys running cabling? It's really something that should be left to electricians.

By electrician you mean qualified cabling contractor, right? Most electricians don't know jack poo poo about how to properly run CATx, nevermind terminate it.

e: goddammit beaten