Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

for the same reason piers anthony is allowed to continue writing and selling books.

Perverts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

i mean how could this have gone so wrong?

he had all the ingredients right there

probably should have gotten someone with a better flair for political intrigue than george lucas. like, say, a third grader.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CoolCab posted:

My grandma died :(

My very late condolences. I bet she was the coolest grandma. :sympathy:

zoux posted:

Everybody likes me I'm a forums treasure.

You're the zoux, gotta love ya!

R. Mute posted:

lol. i don't really know who's jewish and who's not, though, except for absurd and he's cool and good generally (come back)

Aww! :blush: Okay, I will return!

I hope you're doing okay over there in the Belgiums! Don't let the terrorists terrorize you! Getting you terrorized is how the terrorist win terrorism!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"mr galactic president, conservatives in the galactic senate are threatening to filibuster passage of the galactic stimulus bill unless certain demands are met"
"my god... get me the jedi council, we need mediation immediately"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

i mean how could this have gone so wrong?

he had all the ingredients right there

this

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The absolute best part of the EU has to be the time in the Marvel comics where they go to planet Zeltron, which is home to the greatest parties in the galaxy thanks to the pheromones of the natives, and has fended off the Empire by tearing off stormtrooper helmets and loving and drugging them to death. Also the planet's king blatantly checks out Luke's rear end at one point.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

probably should have gotten someone with a better flair for political intrigue than george lucas. like, say, a third grader.

or a brit

loving crib the Glorious Revolution in space, George, and you would've won your oscars AND felt good about it

E:

Make Jedi crown agents, catholics, and french, whereas Palpatine is the Empire's Cromwell with his New Model Fleet

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Exclamation Marx posted:

i loved star wars so much. i'm not even sure that i've actually seen the entirety of any one of the ot though, since i only ever watched the copies my parents had taped from the tv, with sometimes poorly-judged breaks in recording during the ads

back when i was a kid, and my parents didn't have cable, we had one rich uncle on each side of the family who had full on cable and satellite and high end VCRs + media, and they would record hella stuff off the disney channel and hbo and also regular tv channels for us

my dad finally bought the original trilogy on vhs when the tv recordings of it we'd gotten had worn down

they must have put a lot of work into it too, because some were from network and basic cable sources that must have had a lot of commerical breaks, but the tapes we'd get didn't have any commercials or visible missing segments (but would still sometimes have the channel logo for a short time)

yes pretty much. god he's awful.

that dude in the florida thread who thinks he might be a pedophile reminded me of piers anthony's existence today

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
When automation gets to the point where all manufacturing and service jobs and most professional jobs have been made reduntant, do you think our corporate techno-gods will give us make work to drive consumption, issue a minimum income for the same, or use flying death robots to keep us in a state of primitive feudal subservience?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

When automation gets to the point where all manufacturing and service jobs and most professional jobs have been made reduntant, do you think our corporate techno-gods will give us make work to drive consumption, issue a minimum income for the same, or use flying death robots to keep us in a state of primitive feudal subservience?

That's when the Maitreya Buddha returns and returns us to the true Dharma.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

back when i was a kid, and my parents didn't have cable, we had one rich uncle on each side of the family who had full on cable and satellite and high end VCRs + media, and they would record hella stuff off the disney channel and hbo and also regular tv channels for us

my dad finally bought the original trilogy on vhs when the tv recordings of it we'd gotten had worn down

they must have put a lot of work into it too, because some were from network and basic cable sources that must have had a lot of commerical breaks, but the tapes we'd get didn't have any commercials or visible missing segments (but would still sometimes have the channel logo for a short time)

yes pretty much. god he's awful.

that dude in the florida thread who thinks he might be a pedophile reminded me of piers anthony's existence today

what

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

America has a social safety net: the military. Either enlist for your GMI, or outsource yourself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

black mirror ep. 2

some guy confessed to being 17 years old and being attracted to 12-14 year olds and everyone is not only arguing about it but arguing about arguing about it

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Popular Thug Drink posted:

everyone is not only arguing about it but arguing about arguing about it
Hahaha this never happens in any thread

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i think "As the euphoric summer months wore into the autumn, the world’s most sophisticated barometers of public opinion, the Gallup polling organization in the United States and the Gestapo in Germany, registered inverse movements in the public mood." might be my favorite sentence ina history book yet

there's a dude whos dad was a total creepo (knocked up his mother when she was 12 and he was like 18) who is like 17 years old and thinks he mostly like 12-14 year olds currently and has a complex over it.

but he also mentioned that his preferred age was lower when he was younger, so i think the dude is just going to be that guy who's 30 years old and dating some chick just out of college when he's older, rather than being stuck at having the hots for middle school girls forever?

its in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693326

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

most jobs are already redundant and have been for many decades at times.

most people working generic office jobs, for example, are accomplishing essentially nothing, whole companies are accomplishing essentially nothing. you are in the make work economy and have been since you were born.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

speaking of people with a complex, the thread randler linked of guy who thinks his grandma deserves to die because she was german 11 year old during world war ii is pretty good

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Nintendo Kid posted:

i think "As the euphoric summer months wore into the autumn, the world’s most sophisticated barometers of public opinion, the Gallup polling organization in the United States and the Gestapo in Germany, registered inverse movements in the public mood." might be my favorite sentence ina history book yet

there's a dude whos dad was a total creepo (knocked up his mother when she was 12 and he was like 18) who is like 17 years old and thinks he mostly like 12-14 year olds currently and has a complex over it.

but he also mentioned that his preferred age was lower when he was younger, so i think the dude is just going to be that guy who's 30 years old and dating some chick just out of college when he's older, rather than being stuck at having the hots for middle school girls forever?

its in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693326

most jobs are already redundant and have been for many decades at times.

most people working generic office jobs, for example, are accomplishing essentially nothing, whole companies are accomplishing essentially nothing. you are in the make work economy and have been since you were born.

hmmm 14 at 17 is one thing but 12 is pretty young

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Berke Negri posted:

hmmm 14 at 17 is one thing but 12 is pretty young

i dont think he really is into 12 year olds, he's just tripping up over it because his dad totally did his mom at that age, and he thinks he can see liking some 12 year olds.

dude needs therapy to get over his dad being a total creeplord, but i dont think the kid is a pedo

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

troy aikman wants everyone to know he's chosen to not be gay

http://instinctmagazine.com/post/troy-aikman-tackles-decades-gay-rumors-says-he-has-not-chosen-gay-lifestyle

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

who here enjoyed starwars: the phantom menace when it first came out?
*looks around*

*says nothing*

(seeing the trailer had me ridiculously pumped. seeing the movie was... disturbing.)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Faustus posted:

*looks around*

*says nothing*

(seeing the trailer had me ridiculously pumped. seeing the movie was... disturbing.)

First they came for those who liked The Phantom Menace, and I said nothing, for I didn't like The Phantom Menace.

Then they came for those who liked Attack of the Clones, and once again, I said nothing, for I didn't like Attack of the Clones.

Finally, they came for those who liked Revenge of the Sith, and I laughed, because seriously who the gently caress would see that after the first two its like watching the third matrix you just loving don't do it.

I fell asleep at the theatre during Fellowship of the Ring. Movie be long, theatre be dark, I be sleepy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
a pity, the fellowship is probably the best of the three

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Raskolnikov38 posted:

a pity, the fellowship is probably the best of the three

Wrong it was The Two Towers.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

paragon1 posted:

Wrong it was The Two Towers.

You're right, in fact, it was all because of Two Towers that any of the hobbit movies got made.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Owl Day are you a real anime fan or an ironic anime fan this is bugging me

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
The first half hour of PT Anderson's The Master is the best representation of PTSD I've seen in cinema.

There is a Freddie Quell in my store, every other week, 6 years in the poo poo, 65 staples in his back trying to pawn his newly bought China made consumer entertainment crap every visit because all he wants to do is drink and forget his life in a country that basically hates him. :smith:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I like the Star Wars Expanded Universe

please allow that to color any interactions you may or may not have w/me in the future

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

woke up bleary eyed this morning only to unlock my computer and the first tab I have open I see is titled "Jizz"

and it takes a second to click in my head that its a wookieepedia article

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

woke up bleary eyed this morning only to unlock my computer and the first tab I have open I see is titled "Jizz"

and it takes a second to click in my head that its a wookieepedia article

sounds like someone had a hell of a friday night

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

America has a social safety net: the military. Either enlist for your GMI, or outsource yourself.

Cool. Can you draw me up some safety net alternatives as you eat steak and fruity pebbles, you brunching fool?

Something that preferably doesn't have an enormous amount of people signing up to die for money.

Something that condemns a process of mindfucking our barely-legal adults, and reforming that poo poo from the ground up so we don't have a bunch of loving Ramsay Snows coming home with a ton of cash and a silent need to keep ending lives.

Thanks in advance. Get that French toast with Cocoa Pebbles next time, poo poo's dank.

Armani fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 17, 2015

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
please don't reply to migf, thank

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Armani posted:

Cool. Can you draw me up some safety net alternatives as you eat steak and fruity pebbles, you brunching fool?

Something that preferably doesn't have an enormous amount of people signing up to die for money.

Something that condemns a process of mindfucking our barely-legal adults, and reforming that poo poo from the ground up so we don't have a bunch of loving Ramsay Snows coming home with a ton of cash and a silent need to keep ending lives.

Thanks in advance. Get that French toast with Cocoa Pebbles next time, poo poo's dank.

You need skin in the game if you want a pension and healthcare.

Flectarn posted:

please don't reply to migf, thank

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

My Imaginary GF posted:

No meat 0/10.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hey migf is this you

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

What's your basic standard for having 'skin' so to speak? And what are your alternatives to an idea that everyone can have skin in the game - you're probably not idealistic by any means so no 100% funding towards the people and not wars kind of guy.

More of a, uh...

quote:

This kind of guy.

Hmn.

E: I will cast a vote in solidarity for what looks like a Riccioli and Cheese sandwich, Jesus my heart.

This is what sucks about the Internet - if we were all face to face - eating all this poo poo, yelling about Ebola and The Middle East and Chicago between bites - we'd probably get some actual poo poo done and not be monsters to each other

Armani fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 17, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Armani posted:

What's your basic standard for having 'skin' so to speak? And what are your alternatives to an idea that everyone can have skin in the game - you're probably not idealistic by any means so no 100% funding towards the people and not wars kind of guy.

'Service guarantees citizenship' is, I think, what he has in mind.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

hey migf is this you

You get a pannenkoeken for effort

Armani posted:

This kind of guy.

Hmn.

E: I will cast a vote in solidarity for what looks like a Riccioli and Cheese hotdog, Jesus my heart.

...and not be monsters to each other

You're wrong. Successfully drafting and implementing policy based solely in spite is one of the most satisfying experiences known to man.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 17, 2015

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I have yet to see an argument for a universal American safety net that wasn't deeply flawed from the get go.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Disinterested posted:

'Service guarantees citizenship' is, I think, what he has in mind.

America -is- a service economy.

Randler posted:

I have yet to see an argument for a universal American safety net that wasn't deeply flawed from the get go.

The first thing that is usually touted is that we have about 400 million American citizens, divided up horribly amongst states, that statistically, racially and religiously hate each other with about 1.5 guns to each civilian and an extreme hatred on authority.

It's uh, it's a hard thing to refute.

• Locked thread