Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Slimchandi posted:

Just selling my Safari for this exact reason, not heavy enough and the grip puts my fingers too close for comfort.

Any experiences of using the Lamy Studio instead? I love Lamy styling.

UK goons - WHSmith seem to have a few heavy discounts on selected pen brands.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/dept/stationery-pens-fountain-pens-12x00077

The Parker Duofold is particularly cheap, only 150 quid instead of around 200 on amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Not sure if this already got mentioned in the thread, but there's a Kickstarter for a small all-metal pocket FP. Closes on Thursday or so:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/598840290/tiny-the-pocket-fountain-pen

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I wonder if it'll be able to take a converter. After I started messing around with bottled ink, that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mikl posted:

I wonder if it'll be able to take a converter. After I started messing around with bottled ink, that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

You can always re-fill the cartridge.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Hideous and over-priced

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fall posted:

Hideous and over-priced

I was momentarily tempted since I'm a sucker for Kickstarter and the idea of crowdsourcing a pen was amusing, but I think I'd be just as happy with a $15 Muji aluminum FP.

But in the meantime just using my new Kaweco Sport to get a feel for FPing.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My FPR Guru finally arrived, my handwriting is still ridiculously bad :D

FPR Guru, flex nib, Private Reserve Tanzanite.

Nibshot!

The clip is the ugliest thing ever, haha.

But for 12 bucks (plus 3 shipping), that's fantastic.
Piston filler with flex nib thing. Neat.

It came with this freebie.

Same cap design, VERY different nib. No piston filling on this one, eyedropper.

And a group shot of all my Indian pens. There's another thing from Asapens in transit, should be here in around a month and a half, and I will place an order for a red Triveni Jr. from FPR on February.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Not sure if this already got mentioned in the thread, but there's a Kickstarter for a small all-metal pocket FP. Closes on Thursday or so:

It's.. uh, interesting.

Too bad there are a lot of compact fountain pens on the market, most of which cost a lot less money and you don't have to wait four months to get.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

I was momentarily tempted since I'm a sucker for Kickstarter and the idea of crowdsourcing a pen was amusing, but I think I'd be just as happy with a $15 Muji aluminum FP.

But in the meantime just using my new Kaweco Sport to get a feel for FPing.

Not bad. At that price point I'd be comfortable shoving it into the same pocket as my keys, too.

Luisfe posted:

And a group shot of all my Indian pens. There's another thing from Asapens in transit, should be here in around a month and a half, and I will place an order for a red Triveni Jr. from FPR on February.

How's the quality control?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fall posted:

Not bad. At that price point I'd be comfortable shoving it into the same pocket as my keys, too.

I'm pretty comfortable shoving my Ohto Tasche in my pocket with my keys, and it cost me $16.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't see any reason to get this over a Kaweco Liliput, unless you really like the design for some reason.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I kind of like the design, but at $60 for a "pocket pen" where the clip costs extra and it only holds a cartridge worth of ink, I think I'll stick to my TWSBI or one of my Esterbrooks.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Most of these Kickstarter pens are just far too pricy for what they are. There are already decent pocket-sized pens on the market (the Liliput as mentioned, or the Tasche on a super-small budget) and if you're going to cough up 60 bucks for that thing you might as well spend 50 + 12 dollars shipped and get a Pilot Celemo from eBay, which comes with a 14K nib.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Fall posted:

How's the quality control?

They all work. The Serwex and the Guru worked perfectly out of the box (surprised that I did not even need to flush them), while the Gama and the Oliver needed flushing, and a slight tine adjustment.

So far, I haven't had a dud from India, but then again, FPR is supposed to send tested stuff. In the case of the two from Asapens, there is an option to have them test the pen before shipping.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 14, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

grack posted:

I'm pretty comfortable shoving my Ohto Tasche in my pocket with my keys, and it cost me $16.

While the Tasche looks appealing, I prefer the Ohta Rook, though I've seen it get mixed reviews.

Pic of some guy's site: Rook, Tasche, Sport, Safari. In other pics you can see the Rook is slightly shorter than the Pilot Petit and notably slimmer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

While the Tasche looks appealing, I prefer the Ohta Rook, though I've seen it get mixed reviews.

Pic of some guy's site: Rook, Tasche, Sport, Safari. In other pics you can see the Rook is slightly shorter than the Pilot Petit and notably slimmer.

I actually have a Rook coming now in bright orange.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I feel silly for asking this, but I had trouble understanding the note in the OP concerning nib sizes.

quote:

Pilot is a Japanese company, and as a general rule, nibs made in Asia write thinner than the equivalent size nibs from Europe or America. The Medium nib on a Metro will write more like a Fine pen from a European company.

So, if I wanted a pen with thinner lines than my Medium nib pilot, I'd get an extra fine pen from a European company? I just want to be sure. I've been looking at the TWSBI line and am not sure which nib to get.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

UnoriginalMind posted:

I feel silly for asking this, but I had trouble understanding the note in the OP concerning nib sizes.

So, if I wanted a pen with thinner lines than my Medium nib pilot, I'd get an extra fine pen from a European company? I just want to be sure. I've been looking at the TWSBI line and am not sure which nib to get.

Yes, you can try to get an idea using the Nib Nook at the Goulet Pens website. TWSBI, despite being a Taiwanese company, uses Jowo nibs which are European. Remember that thinner nibs tend to be "scratchier" feeling on the paper, if that bothers you at all.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

UnoriginalMind posted:

http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

That blue/green is god drat beautiful.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Luisfe posted:

They all work. The Serwex and the Guru worked perfectly out of the box (surprised that I did not even need to flush them), while the Gama and the Oliver needed flushing, and a slight tine adjustment.

So far, I haven't had a dud from India, but then again, FPR is supposed to send tested stuff. In the case of the two from Asapens, there is an option to have them test the pen before shipping.

Good to know!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

EnsGDT posted:

That blue/green is god drat beautiful.

I'm pretty sure that's from the Sport Skyline series.

Edit: gently caress you, Kaweco Sport. WORK PROPERLY DAMMIT!

grack fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 15, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I know for a fact that Pilot has a 1.0mm italic nib (available in the Plumix and nothing else that I know of, but still).

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

grack posted:

I'm pretty sure that's from the Sport Skyline series.

Edit: gently caress you, Kaweco Sport. WORK PROPERLY DAMMIT!

The one in the photo? The Kaweco is the white one, the dark and gold on is the Ohto Rook.

Though I do have a Sport Skyline that's black with silver nib/markings.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The one in the photo? The Kaweco is the white one, the dark and gold on is the Ohto Rook.

Though I do have a Sport Skyline that's black with silver nib/markings.

EnsGDT was commenting on the Kaweco, which is the only thing remotely blue/green in that photo.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

grack posted:

EnsGDT was commenting on the Kaweco, which is the only thing remotely blue/green in that photo.

This is the truth.

Upon doing some research, they don't have a cartridge converter worth a drat for it, which makes me sad, because otherwise I'd buy it today.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Sports do make pretty good eyedroppers.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

My Ohto Rook came in, and the thing just will NOT feed ink. I have a Diamine blue-black cartridge in there -- a color I know quite well -- and when I can get it to write it looks like some sort of light gray. I guess I'm going to pull this cart and flush the pen out, see if I can get it writing any better...

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
There's a new thing from Asapens. The image made it look small, but apparently it is a jumbo eyedropper?
http://asapens.in/eshop/asa-galactic-jumbo-acrylic-demonstrator-fountain-pen

Seems neat, I like the fogged up look.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

atholbrose posted:

My Ohto Rook came in, and the thing just will NOT feed ink. I have a Diamine blue-black cartridge in there -- a color I know quite well -- and when I can get it to write it looks like some sort of light gray. I guess I'm going to pull this cart and flush the pen out, see if I can get it writing any better...

I have found that Ohto pens take a really long time to fully flood the feed with ink. If you can, try priming it from bottled ink with a converter.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

I'm new to this scene but I've been checking out fountain pens for a while now and made my first purchase a few days ago. Obviously I picked the Pilot Metro medium nib, it came in today and I love it so much I don't know if I can go back to a ballpoint after this. It glides across the page- even my cheap notepad so nicely. My family made fun of me at first but then I made them actually try it and they liked it too. Unfortunately the black ink cartridge that came with the pen arrived leaking, so I can't try it out yet but the pilot blue ink is quite lovely for now. For the minor ink trouble, Amazon also gave me 10% off the order!

Couple beginner questions: When I'm done for the day how do I store it- can I lay it down for a while or is it preferable to keep it vertical- nib up? How long can I store it before I should empty and clean it out?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Murvin posted:

Couple beginner questions: When I'm done for the day how do I store it- can I lay it down for a while or is it preferable to keep it vertical- nib up? How long can I store it before I should empty and clean it out?

You can leave it lying around like a normal pen, there's no need to baby it that much.

If you're not going to use a fountain pen for a long time, it shouldn't be left with ink in. Other than that there's no hard and fast rule to flushing out pens - some people wash them out once every month, some only when they change ink colour. Certain special inks (iron gall, particulate-heavy etc.) should be washed out regularly but normal, modern ink formulations should give you no real trouble even if left in for months at a time.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, Metros are great.

I wrote on cheap paper for a year using a Pilot Metro inked with Pilot Blue-Black without cleaning it (I know) until like last week. Granted it's very well-behaved but It wrote the same then as it did brand new despite all the paper fibres that must've been in there.

Then of course once I flush it out and switch inks... it doesn't write. Figures. It must've been residual detergent or dried ink in the feed because after much coaxing the Iroshizuku Kiri-same started writing like it should. Great ink.

So yeah, flush your pens however often you like, as long as they're not $500 vintage pens that are irreplaceable in the unlikely event you ruin them. But definitely do a complete flush when you switch inks to avoid weird precipitates forming. I like to soak the feed overnight.

Oh and like the other guy said don't leave unfamiliar inks in pens untouched for weeks or else you might end up with this:

(not my pic)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

W-what the gently caress happened :stare:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Xun posted:

W-what the gently caress happened :stare:

Probably mold.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Korwen posted:

Probably mold.

Nah, ink got drawn out and formed layers of precipitate.
An hour in ammonia should solve that :v:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It's a reminder that an "empty" pen isn't particularly empty, and you should probably at least let it sit in some water for a bit if you aren't going to flush it anytime soon.

My Merlin looked a bit like that (although markedly less so) after a few weeks of sitting "empty" of Rouge Hematite. Even the gold-free variants are pigmented as hell, and it'll build up like that if you let it sit for too long — especially in a pen with a smaller nib, like a Merlin, just a couple days of disuse will cause it to gunk up a bit and be a pain to get started again.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Nat Geo does a short piece with Richard Binder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDra9j9POkU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I got an old MB Meisterstück 146 from my dad, but I can't seem to refill it. I've rinsed the nib, but when I put it into the ink bottle and turn the piston-thingy, nothing happens, i. e. the ink window never fills up. What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you might just not be putting it far enough down in the ink. Does it fill up with water if you operate the mechanism while it's completely submerged in the sink?