Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Is there enough ink in the bottle to cover the entire nib unit? If not, there's not enough ink to fill it, probably. Did you try filling with with water beforehand, to flush it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It's definitely entirely submerged in the ink. I've just tried it with water, and while it didn't suck it up, it seemed to have some small effect. The ink window is still clear, but it looks a little different now. I tried it with the ink pot again, but no dice. Maybe something is just majorly blocked / dried out? It's not been used for a couple of years.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

How old is "old"?

A lot of the old MB piston-fillers have a cork stopper thing that rots away with time.

If you have cleaned it and attempted to fill it correctly and it still won't take in ink, then you should probably send it to an expert (or MB).

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

My dad gave it to me about five years ago, but it's probably been sitting unused far longer than that. It might be the cork thing. Crap. Gonna have to look around and find someone who might be able to repair it.

EDIT: I'm such an idiot. For some reason, the piston-thingy was a little stuck. I just tried turning it again with a little more force, and it finally opened up. Everything works fine now :)

Now to buy some inks. Already have a J. Herbin perle noir. Can anyone recommend a fast-drying one for a messy lefty like me?

Wengy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 18, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wengy posted:

Now to buy some inks. Already have a J. Herbin perle noir. Can anyone recommend a fast-drying one for a messy lefty like me?

Noodler's Bernanke Blue and Bernanke Black dry extremely quickly.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thanks, will check those out!

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Holy poo poo guys, my Lamy 2000 from Massdrop came in. I've only written a few pages with it, but this is a seriously amazing pen. I got a F nib, and it feels wonderful. It is smooth and writes wet, and so far I haven't had any issue with the "sweet spot" being small that the pen is notorious for. Sure if I rotate it 90* to either side it won't write, but I've been working on not rotating the pen when I write for awhile anyways. Holy poo poo though, this pen is wonderful.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I've been using a Lamy Safari with standard t10 cartridges for about a year as my every day writer thanks to this thread. My original pen was a Safari with a F nib, although I'm currently using an Al Star with an EF nib. Essentially, I'm hooked, and need directions from one of you fine gentlemen as to the next steps down the rabbit hole. I love the modern styling and smooth feel of the Safari/Al star, but I'm motoring through ink cartridges at an obscene rate. What is my next move?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Get a converter and bottled ink.

Or if you want to throw some more money at pens Massdrop has the stainless steel Lamy 2000 up right now.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

grack posted:

Get a converter and bottled ink.

Or if you want to throw some more money at pens Massdrop has the stainless steel Lamy 2000 up right now.

Done. Now to choose an ink. Unfortunately, I'm expected to sign a lot of semi-legal stuff every day, and they generally moan at me if I use green. Blue or black it is, then.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Soylent Yellow posted:

Done. Now to choose an ink. Unfortunately, I'm expected to sign a lot of semi-legal stuff every day, and they generally moan at me if I use green. Blue or black it is, then.

Or, y'know, a nice blue-black is always good for business writing. Lamy blue-black is nice, even if a little less distinctive after they reformulated it away from being an iron-gall ink. Pilot, Kaweco and Sailor blue-blacks are also all great and all different than each other. Iroshizuku shin-kai is what I've got in my Lamy 2000 right now. Diamine Midnight is a great dark, dark blue that I am enjoying a lot. P.W. Akkerman #10 is an iron-gall blue-black that comes in a very cool bottle, but the characteristic blue-black color change is muted and not as quickly noticable in finer nibs. In a broader nib, though, the change from blue to burnt black is very fascinating to see.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Soylent Yellow posted:

Use Waterman Mysterious Blue and smile knowing that in a few days it will be emerald.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fall posted:

Use Waterman Mysterious Blue and smile knowing that in a few days it will be emerald.

Or Parker Blue-Black

Edit: Seriously though Rohrer and Klinger Salix or Di Atrementis Document are cool

VVVVVVV Yep. Goes on blue black, a day later it's dark green.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 19, 2015

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

grack posted:

Or Parker Blue-Black

There's another?!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Goulet sent out samples of Rohrer and Klingner's Verdigris this month as part of a "business appropriate" theme of samples, and I really like it.

http://youtu.be/PsP_VVLPyX4?t=13m30s

http://www.gouletpens.com/rk40505050/p/RK40505050

The Tanzanite they sent is really nice too: http://www.gouletpens.com/p339226/p/P339226

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 19, 2015

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Goulet sent out samples of Rohrer and Klingner's Verdigris this month as part of a "business appropriate" theme of samples, and I really like it.

http://youtu.be/PsP_VVLPyX4?t=13m30s

http://www.gouletpens.com/rk40505050/p/RK40505050

The Tanzanite they sent is really nice too: http://www.gouletpens.com/p339226/p/P339226

I own a bottle of Verdigris and I can confirm that it is a wonderful color. I bought it after getting a sample in a pack from Goulet as well and I wasn't expecting much but was surprised at how much I liked writing with it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I just picked up a bottle of Verdigris a few weeks back and I love it. I've also been using Alt-Goldgrün for a few months and it's by far my favorite ink, the shading is amazing. Rohrer & Klingner is underrated as hell.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Dangit. The silicone bit in my guru's piston broke.

It was very easy to fix though, replace the broken bit with the rubber... seal from a 3milliliter syringe. I was using that syringe to refill a Varsity (that I have not used in a month, should use it more, haha) and now it works perfectly.
User serviceability is nice.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
My Lamy Studio M arrived and I love it. It's a great compliment to my Metropolitan M, and a vast improvement on the Safari it replaces. I love writing with this thing, and the black matt section feels much more comfortable than the triangular one. This is the pen I wanted the Safari/Al-star to be!

Now to buy more ink... :homebrew:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Got my Ohto Rook in today. I wasn't sure what I was expecting for $14, but this certainly ain't it. Smooth, wet, perfect writer out of the package and surprisingly comfortable to hold. And tiny, and super light.

Kind of glad I got this first instead of the Kaweco Liliput

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Damnit, I hosed up my FPR Guru, in one week, ahahah.
The piston/plunger had a sharp edge, and thus broke the sealing bit. Again. Sanded it down with a nail file so the next time it doesn't break that bit.. I am whittling down/erodinga brand new 3ml syringe stopper bit. It's taking a while.

I am gonna order another one (along with a triveni) at the beggining of February as a birthday self gift, haha. Hopefully that'll last longer.

Edit, or I could get a couple of o rings and do this. Yes. That'll work.
http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.mx/2014/04/problematic-pistons.html

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 20, 2015

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

So now that I got the Meisterstück working I'm kind of afraid to take it with me all the time, it basically being an heirloom - it's also a little ostentatious for a younger guy like. So I'm thinking of getting something that flies under the radar and I've been looking at the Lamy 2000. Why is the stainless steel version almost double the price of the black one on Gouletpens? "Makrolon" sounds so awesome! Also, what would be a good nib option for a lefty who usually applies just a little too much pressure and gets too much "flow" rather quickly?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Wengy posted:

So now that I got the Meisterstück working I'm kind of afraid to take it with me all the time, it basically being an heirloom - it's also a little ostentatious for a younger guy like. So I'm thinking of getting something that flies under the radar and I've been looking at the Lamy 2000. Why is the stainless steel version almost double the price of the black one on Gouletpens? "Makrolon" sounds so awesome! Also, what would be a good nib option for a lefty who usually applies just a little too much pressure and gets too much "flow" rather quickly?

While I can't speak to the price, be aware that the stainless steel l2k is much heavier than the makrolon. Some people like the weight; a lot of people find it obnoxious to use. It's a wonderful pen regardless of the material, though. Additionally, the stainless steel version is currently on massdrop for ~$70 less than Gouletpens.

Be careful with the amount of pressure you apply; you can mess a nib up pretty easily if you aren't careful. You could try one one those practice fountain pens with a very sturdy nib, such as the Pelikan Pelikano Jr., to get the hang of it. I really only say that since you're currently using an expensive pen with sentimental value, so it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Lord Girlyman posted:

While I can't speak to the price, be aware that the stainless steel l2k is much heavier than the makrolon. Some people like the weight; a lot of people find it obnoxious to use. It's a wonderful pen regardless of the material, though. Additionally, the stainless steel version is currently on massdrop for ~$70 less than Gouletpens.

Be careful with the amount of pressure you apply; you can mess a nib up pretty easily if you aren't careful. You could try one one those practice fountain pens with a very sturdy nib, such as the Pelikan Pelikano Jr., to get the hang of it. I really only say that since you're currently using an expensive pen with sentimental value, so it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Thanks, just noticed that about the weight. The SS version is a no-go for me then... And while I've never damaged a nib in about fifteen years of fountain pen usage,, I was never totally happy with the stuff I used either (mostly cheap pens provided by my school and then later on an old Parker with a hard as gently caress nib). The Meisterstück writes very effortlessly, but I still get the impression that it's too "wet" for my rather cramped lefty handwriting. Maybe I should look into an extra fine Lamy?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I found the SS 2000 slippery as poo poo when I tried it.

If you want any sort of fine writing with a 2000 you're buying an EF. The nib on that thing runs wide as hell.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Kessel posted:

If you want any sort of fine writing with a 2000 you're buying an EF. The nib on that thing runs wide as hell.

My 2000 EF -- about ten years old now -- is past medium. I love it to death, though.

Apparently they got better at being more consistent with the 2000 nibs a couple of years back, but this is the only one I've used.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I need some help. I cannot write using good paper. Cheap paper works great (other then a bit of feathering and bleed through). I have metros, one with a regular m nib and one with an italic m. When I try to write on decent paper at a reasonable speed, the pens seem to skip and not leave any ink, so parts of letters are just not there unless i go over them 2-3 times. Do you just have to use metros at a painfully slow speed? Should I be looking for a wetter pen?

Here is an example of the issue. The first line is me writing at my usual speed, and the last line is me hauling rear end.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
I just got a pilot metro :neckbeard: I originally found this thread looking for a calligraphy thread, but stayed because there wasn't one. But, I had picked up calligraphy trying to make my handwriting better, so it's kind of come full circle. I ordered it from jetpens along with a mne... mosoenenyne notebook. I haven't used cursive in a long time, but it seems like it flows so much better from a fountain pen.

Also, if you're like me and want to throw the quick brown fox into the ocean, a much cooler pangram is: Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Aw gently caress, just discovered Aurora pens - how nice are those???? I'm gonna visit Torino this Spring and I'd be surprised if I returned without an Aurora Optima...

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Spent a decent amount of time last night cleaning some of my pens as I had been a procrastinating rear end in a top hat about flushing the ones that had gone empty. A few of them took like 15 minutes to flush all the way clear but the drat Metro was clean in like 3 or 4 flushes and it had a black cartridge in it that had been sitting for like a month or so I think. The only other pen that was quick to clean (besides the one I only though was dirty) was the TWSBI because I just took it apart and cleaned it out with q-tips.

Anyone else find the Metro to be easy as crap to clean?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Been playing around with a bottle of J Herbin Red Hematite ink. Its really lovely. When I make an effort to shake it really well before loading the gold sparkle effect is really nice, and the red will shift from light red to a darker burgandy, sometimes with little mustard like streaks.

The pilot parallel isn't the same ink.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Is the Nib Creaper worth buying as a first flex? I have heard they are really fiddly, but I don't know how to fiddle with pens. I want to buy a nice vintage one next year at the pen show, but not until I've used one for a while.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

milpreve posted:

Is the Nib Creaper worth buying as a first flex? I have heard they are really fiddly, but I don't know how to fiddle with pens. I want to buy a nice vintage one next year at the pen show, but not until I've used one for a while.

Well, it's 20 bucks. They really aren't reliable pens no matter what anyone tells you. I'm sure some have gotten solid performance out of the noodler pens but both my noodler Konrad and Ahab are not what I would consider a dependable pen. You need to be willing to tinker as well. Also, the flex on those things is quite overrated. You need to really crank down on those things to get good line variation, and after a while your hand will get sore. There's no real modern replacement for vintage flex unfortunately: either the nib is too stiff, or the feeds don't keep up.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wengy posted:

Aw gently caress, just discovered Aurora pens - how nice are those???? I'm gonna visit Torino this Spring and I'd be surprised if I returned without an Aurora Optima...

IIRC the updated Aurora FPs are very conservative for design compared to some of the luxury companies. Mostly C/C and the occasional piston-filler. The vintage Aurora 88 is a homage to the P51 w/it's hooded nib but they can be finicky writers according a member of the local club.Although, I don't see a lot them overseas but they do have a following online.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do you guys have any recommendations for fountain pen friendly weekly planners? I hear hobonichi a lot but I can't uh, find where to get one in the states.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Xun posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for fountain pen friendly weekly planners? I hear hobonichi a lot but I can't uh, find where to get one in the states.

You just have to order them from Japan, they have an english site: http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2015/planner/index.html

I'm using a Cousin as a planner/journal and it's amazing. They're page-per-day, though.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

There's a weekly section in every Hobonichi Cousin - I know people who use the weekly bit as their planner and the page per day as their diary/journal.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 22, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kessel posted:

There's a weekly section in every Hobonichi planner - I know people who use the weekly bit as their planner and the page per day as their diary/journal.

I don't find that there's enough space in the weekly section to do anything but a barebones schedule, so I mostly use it to track how much sleep I'm getting.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, space is deffo pretty tight.

There's a guide here for the goon who was asking. This will show you exactly what you get on each page.
http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2015/planner/basic/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Xun posted:

I like the Rhodia planners they sell each year and I received one from a giveway. It has good FP-friendly paper and available in the USA too. It's also larger than Hobonichi :v: