Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

BossRighteous posted:

I can't imagine anything more difficult that writing 40k words of fictional dialogue and situations, my mind being the way it is. I cringe at the thought of 400 words of fiction, or even just a plot outline.
Good for you merging career and personal interests.

I know this was last month, but if you do have any interest in writing, check out Thunderdome. It's a great way to work around a mental block and get honestly useful crit in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Fuschia tude posted:

I know this was last month, but if you do have any interest in writing, check out Thunderdome. It's a great way to work around a mental block and get honestly useful crit in the process.

Thanks for the heads up, but Game Jams would be more my style. :)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

5k emergency fund is complete! :toot:

Now to save 6k for my last year of grad school! Only 5.9k to go! :arghfist:

Nana has offered to pay for it, but she is also known to change her mind, so… I guess if she doesn't pay for it, I can use it towards my car loan!

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

I finally got (good!) health insurance and just got to sock away $500 extra in my savings account :toot:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I've always had a mostly nontechnical position doing QA at a small real estate software company for the last six years. On Friday, my boss (company founder and one of the developers) asked if I was interested in learning how to code Java. Apparently the head developer suggested it to my boss, which basically means everybody is on board to helping me learn. I'll be working with developers who all have 10-12 years experience working at the same company. I'd always been interested in learning, but afraid to suggest it since I know I'd be a dumb newbie.

So I'm excited. I've got a lot (everything) to learn, but I'd rather be learning while employed, then be unemployed and be trying to learn while looking for work. No plans on ever leaving my current company, but I know learning to code will be a valuable skill.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
About four months ago I moved to a new place with much lower cost of living, sat down and started paying attention to my wildly out-of-control discretionary spending, and began aggressively saving to pay down the debts I incurred during my four years of total collegiate fiscal irresponsibility (and subsequent one-year unemployment post-college). I should probably post in the bad-with-money thread about how dumb I was in my early 20's.

Basic information on me: military officer, single, making ~77k gross, ~57k net (after retirement contributions). No car loan.

The results:

• I just sent Bank of America $7000 and now I have zero consumer debt. Never again.
  • I only have 29k left in loans! Should be gone inside two years as long as I don't do anything boneheaded. In June I'll get a small longevity-based pay raise which will be cool.
  • I'm putting $650/mo in my Roth TSP retirement account and thanks to its balance (I've had it in one form or another since '04) I actually have a positive net worth!

Current goals, in rough order of importance:
  • Emergency fund is down at 2k, get that back up to 4-5k
  • Get them student loans paid off
  • Start saving for an engagement ring
  • Start saving for (probably down payment on) a new car
  • Up my TSP contributions until I hit the max 18k/yr (this probably won't happen until I get my next promotion though)

Things are going well :unsmith:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Last week, my new ESPP grant & sale means that my taxable brokerage accounts--NOT including my checking, emergency fund savings account, and retirement accounts--have just exceeded my remaining mortgage balance, with 12 of 15 years left at 3.75%.

The only problem now is the urge to foolishly cash a large portion of that out and prepay whatever's left after taxes. I keep fantasizing that my entirely monthly payment would go away if I paid it all off, even though about a third of it right now is homeowner's insurance and property taxes.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Last week, my new ESPP grant & sale means that my taxable brokerage accounts--NOT including my checking, emergency fund savings account, and retirement accounts--have just exceeded my remaining mortgage balance, with 12 of 15 years left at 3.75%.

The only problem now is the urge to foolishly cash a large portion of that out and prepay whatever's left after taxes. I keep fantasizing that my entirely monthly payment would go away if I paid it all off, even though about a third of it right now is homeowner's insurance and property taxes.

Congrats! This is my current near-term financial goal, and I'm still a few years out from it at least.

I'm not sure which way I'd go if I got there. It'd probably be smarter to keep paying the mortgage, deducting the interest, and splitting it with my wife, but owning this house would be insane. An extra two grand a month in our pockets. Ugh.

It's a good problem to have!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

And with that, my student loan debt is now $0. Next step is to throw another $1k at my car loan and I'll own that outright too. Thanks tax refunds!

Just in time to take on mortgage debt when I close on my first house in a month. :haw:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Higgy posted:

And with that, my student loan debt is now $0. Next step is to throw another $1k at my car loan and I'll own that outright too. Thanks tax refunds!

Just in time to take on mortgage debt when I close on my first house in a month. :haw:

Congrats! I can't wait to make that payment. Student loans are now my only debt ($35k....)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Somehow, last year, we managed to increase our net worth to only -15k (from -26k), even with me being out of work for 6 months. Though, because of that, we have no savings and I had to withdraw my 401k to pay bills one month. Actual debt reduction was close to 15k so there's that. Still a long road ahead, just trying to stabilize now that I have a job again.

e: I suppose I had better reassess my car values, they'll probably drop again.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 16, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just scheduled the final payment on my Private student loans. The last $5914.54 will be wiped out on the 20th when the payment goes through. :fuckoff:

Now my Federal loans, we're not gonna talk about those right now.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Congrats! When the loans for my BA were forgiven, I think I literally screamed.

I am patiently waiting for my second disbursement of loans. I have my Teacher Loan Forgiveness paperwork ready and scanned to upload to Navient's site.

Won't even have to make a payment. Aw yeah.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Just scheduled the final payment on my Private student loans. The last $5914.54 will be wiped out on the 20th when the payment goes through. :fuckoff:

Nice work :peanut:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

overdesigned posted:

About four months ago I moved to a new place with much lower cost of living, sat down and started paying attention to my wildly out-of-control discretionary spending, and began aggressively saving to pay down the debts I incurred during my four years of total collegiate fiscal irresponsibility (and subsequent one-year unemployment post-college). I should probably post in the bad-with-money thread about how dumb I was in my early 20's.

Basic information on me: military officer, single, making ~77k gross, ~57k net (after retirement contributions). No car loan.

The results:

• I just sent Bank of America $7000 and now I have zero consumer debt. Never again.
  • I only have 29k left in loans! Should be gone inside two years as long as I don't do anything boneheaded. In June I'll get a small longevity-based pay raise which will be cool.
  • I'm putting $650/mo in my Roth TSP retirement account and thanks to its balance (I've had it in one form or another since '04) I actually have a positive net worth!

Current goals, in rough order of importance:
  • Emergency fund is down at 2k, get that back up to 4-5k
  • Get them student loans paid off
  • Start saving for an engagement ring
  • Start saving for (probably down payment on) a new car
  • Up my TSP contributions until I hit the max 18k/yr (this probably won't happen until I get my next promotion though)

Things are going well :unsmith:

Hopefully you get deployed so you get even more money tax free

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

How do you guys make such massive payments? I'm only managing to overpay by a couple hundred every month, but I also live in a really high COL area. I can't imagine how you send five thousand out the door in one month x_x

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

fuzzy_logic posted:

How do you guys make such massive payments? I'm only managing to overpay by a couple hundred every month, but I also live in a really high COL area. I can't imagine how you send five thousand out the door in one month x_x

It is tax return season. Not saying that's how, but it does mean +1~3k for a lot of people.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

fuzzy_logic posted:

I'm still square in minimum-payments-forever-or-I-starve so consider yourself lucky

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

fuzzy_logic posted:

Probably by not paying attention to your finances, being frugal by nature and/or having a high income, and then realizing later that paying off your loans is a good step to take.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

fuzzy_logic posted:

Tax return + I just cut my emergency fund in half because I felt like holding twelve grand in savings between it and various savings goals was a tad excessive considering how low my expenses are right now. Plus I just decided gently caress it get rid of the thing, I'll build my savings back up a bit in the next couple months instead of starting to overpay on my federal loans maybe.

Looking back over the last 20 months I've wiped out 20k in loans, a full 51% of my expenses went towards loan servicing. This included poo poo like buying a car and going on a couple short vacations. I cannot wait to be out from under these loving things.

Hey Drakkel, I keep meaning to ask, do you want a copy of YNAB? I got a gift copy sitting in my Steam inventory and I think it might be useful for you. Least I can do for all the podcasts of yours I've listened to.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fuzzy_logic posted:

Make a lot of money and try not to spend a lot of it. Before the situation I got in at the end of last year I would pay $1400 minimum on student loans per month. Then I would tally up how much I had left over each month and drop another $1-2K on them. It really is only possible due to high incomes though (or maddening frugality).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not making super high income, my salary is 36k. which is ok but not huge, especially compared to some other BFC posters. I also got extremely lucky last year and was given severance when I quit my corporate job.

So I got like four months of pay extra out of that while I was at my new job making even more money than I had been. I still don't understand the exact chain of events that made that happen.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hey Drakkel, I keep meaning to ask, do you want a copy of YNAB? I got a gift copy sitting in my Steam inventory and I think it might be useful for you. Least I can do for all the podcasts of yours I've listened to.

That'd be awesome, thanks! I tried that program a longtime ago and it seemed pretty useful!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

That'd be awesome, thanks! I tried that program a longtime ago and it seemed pretty useful!

Oh you don't have Plat, I'll send you a message on twitter.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 17, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
For me, yeah, same thing--I was saving with no real directed goal in mind while also paying down my credit card, and then when I had enough in savings I was like well, guess I may as well just pay off what's left on this CC.

Also I got reimbursement for a change of duty station move (1700) and my tax refund (1200) in rapid succession, which helped quite a bit.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

My credit card had been holding a balance of ~$600 of the $800 limit since Christmas since I ran into some big expenses at the end of the year. Checked to see what exactly it was for the first time after getting my tax return and noticed they doubled my limit since then as well. Went ahead and paid off $350 out of excitement and paying off the rest today. :toot:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Within the next month my net worth will be positive. I grew up poor with bad-with-money family, and inherited those habits, so having a positive net worth is a big deal for me. BFC was seriously helpful in the process. :toot:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Baram posted:

My credit card had been holding a balance of ~$600 of the $800 limit since Christmas since I ran into some big expenses at the end of the year. Checked to see what exactly it was for the first time after getting my tax return and noticed they doubled my limit since then as well. Went ahead and paid off $350 out of excitement and paying off the rest today. :toot:

ladyweapon posted:

Within the next month my net worth will be positive. I grew up poor with bad-with-money family, and inherited those habits, so having a positive net worth is a big deal for me. BFC was seriously helpful in the process. :toot:

Proud of these posters :glomp:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
:frogout:

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

:cheers:

Nice!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I've never checked my credit score since I hosed up on a card when I was 20ish and I assumed it would just depress me. I'm 26 now and after talking with a friend about loans and poo poo the other day decided to check for kicks. 740+ from both TransUnion and Equifax. :toot:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

5.5% Raise, 14% Bonus, $3750 tax return. Base Salary is over 100K now :woop:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

2 months of YNAB usage and I've paid off $1600 in credit card debt that ballooned over the past couple of years. Now time to establish an emergency fund and get on track. Hopefully job prospects improve and I can get a raise at a new place with benefits.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Down to my last 750 bux on my university loan, but my father has been paying off a smaller loan of mine, so I feel the moral thing is to take over that one too (around 4 grand) and pay that one off aggressively.

Best news, we refinanced our current two mortgages into one (we bought a 2nd property). The mortgage payment is now less than half what we take in rental income, so we are living rent free, plus profit, though we are routinely paying 4-6 thousand a month on them to get them gone quickly so we can get another property in 2-3 years. The added bonus is that if one of us loses our job or our income is lessened in the future, our minimum payment now is super low.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This isn't for me personally,

but I helped a friend make a budget two years ago and they contacted me today to tell me that they had just paid off their last debts and save 20k, and they were going to quit their job and move to LA to pursue their dream of acting...so that made me feel really good.

Just too bad they don't have charisma.

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!
I just set up a transaction to finish maxing out my 2014 IRA. I have never been able to contribute the limit for a year. After looking over my budget, I was finally confident enough to set up automatic recurring transactions so I can end up maxing out 2015, too! :feelsgood:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Thanks mostly to BFC I'm maxing out my IRA for 2014 for the first time ever before moving on to 2015 to do the same, am contributing 15% of my salary pre-tax to a 401k, have eliminated all debt except for my car payment, have an emergency fund + am a month ahead in my checking account, and I'm effectively budgeting for the first time in my life. Thanks y'all!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Congrats, keep up the good work!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Got a shitload of medical bills in the mail from a surgery I had a few months back. Started breathing hard and worrying. Remembered that I have an emergency fund set up for this exact reason.

Paid the whole thing off in cash. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally moving out of my parents' house. Had my current job for 21 months so feeling stable enough to make the move. Checking out the area and finalising the admin today, then I'll have a date. :dance:

:edit: Unfortunately the place just went this morning - guess I'll keep looking. :smith:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 12, 2015