Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
From the 1d4chan article:

quote:

Skarsnik battles the Skaven lead by Queek Head Taker for control of the Eight Peaks. Gobbla is killed after a Skaven Beastmaster he had previously eaten cuts it's way out of him, causing him to deflate and his brains to leak out of his head. Skarsnik is completely heartbroken and remains so (interestingly proving greenskins can feel emotional attachment and sadness lasting between battles), and after the Dwarfs collapse their halls to prevent Skaven or greenskins from taking it his army leaves the mountains for parts unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

So which lead writer plays Skaven over at GW? They've already destroyed every human nation that isn't the Empire, it sounds like they're destroying the Dwarves in Thranquol, and now they're apparently punking Orcs & Goblins too. I know that Thorpe is apparently a huge Dark Elf fan, which explains a lot.

edit:

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Haven't Skaven historically been the one real unified threat in the WHFB world? Everyone else is too small or too disorganized.
Chaos (what a shocker) has always been the unified threat. Skaven were too busy killing each other to really do anything. Even in the End Times, so far Chaos has done their regular shtick of running around rampant, killing a bunch of people, making GBS threads on Kislev and [EMPIRE CITY], then get killed by the Empire Super Sayian. If that leaked timeline is to be believed, Skaven are on their way to wiping out 1/8th of the Warhammer range.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 17, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Haven't Skaven historically been the one real unified threat in the WHFB world? Everyone else is too small or too disorganized.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

They are about as disjointed as orcs. It's just sometime their god comes down and gets them to somewhat work together. Everyone forgets about the skaven after they are beaten, so nobody (but Dwarves who are too suborn to get help) really unites against them.

With the Fellblade destroyed, Skaven are going to have a hard time dealing with Nagash.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Naw, the whole skaven culture is based on stepping on faces to advance your own position. Skaven will kill a good leader just because they want to be in charge.

Sure, they Seem unified but thats because its the literal End times. Everyone else is also unifying, even the orcs and elves, because the world is ending.

If it wasn't they'd go back to scheming their brothers death so that they'd get more food on the table.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
The Devil Skaven's greatest trick was to convince everyone that he they didn't exist.

Their problem was always that every single skaven is so egotistical that he will always but his personal fortune ahead of his kin, to the point where one clan would destroy another while fighting against a common foe because the leader of the first clan thougt he might earn some small favour from the Council or whatever.

Orcs fighting each other will lead to the weaker leader having his horde joining the other's waagh. When skaven fight each other, thousand of skaven will die and the one leader left standing could might as well die from an assassination the next evening.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So in conclusion, my gobbos will mount a massive offensive in what will be known as The War of the Squig.

May Mork krump my enemy less for I shall not.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 17, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Some genuinely terrible thesaurus abuse/goofy purple prose going on here:

'his was the power cosmic'

'Lord Kroak ingurgitated the energies'

'incongruously, the chunks of earth and jungle under each dome floated through the cataclysm'

It's actually real. Lizardmen domes flying into space is now Warhammer :psyduck:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Supreme Court posted:

It's actually real. Lizardmen domes flying into space is now Warhammer :psyduck:

Gotrek and Felix IN SPAAAAACE.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They can re introduce the Lizardmen in a big event in a couple years

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
And I'll only have to pay $60 to buy the book to play them again!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WFB: It's only Warhammer if the Reality Balls touch

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RIP Lord Kroak

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

RIP Lord Kroak

I knew a guy who had custom WBB markers for his Necrons, and this was one of them :allears:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do the End Times fluff go in sequential order or concurrently, would I miss something by skipping to Khaine over Glottkin?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do the End Times fluff go in sequential order or concurrently, would I miss something by skipping to Khaine over Glottkin?

Other than Glottkin being 100 times more awesome than Khaine? Naw, you won't be missing much.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thanks, also, I was hoping to use the hype around The End Times to create interest in the line since the area really only plays 40k. I have a large Dark Elf army, a chaos warband battle box with extra mounted knights a couple of leaders and a giant. I figured on also picking up a Isle of Blood box and putting together a 750 point list for each and have open games for anyone interested.

Anything I should watch out for in building the lists to keep the games fun for newcomers?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
That sounds really cool, but rumours say Warhammer is about to fall apart (e.g. lizardmen are gone!) and it might be worth waiting to see what happens first.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

It's strange however that a few months from such a massive revamp there aren't any rumor updates other than the sprinkles we've had.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

It's strange however that a few months from such a massive revamp there aren't any rumor updates other than the sprinkles we've had.

Maybe because it won't actually be so massive.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OhDearGodNo posted:

People on the internet latching on to the most minor of things and blowing them out of proportion in their own little echo chambers?

Naw, much more likely that Lizardmen will get squated. :downswords:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So how many of Teclis's "for the greater good" plans have resulted in horrible loses to the Forces of Order and destruction of the world in general? It seems like at least three by now. If Warhammer Balls Edition is the end result of all this I can't see what possible alternative he is avoiding that is so much worse.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

I think the leaked timeline of everything going to poo poo during the new Skaven book, the pictures of the Screaming Bell/Plague Catapault/Karl Franz on round bases, and the leaked fluff of Kroak creating reality balls higher up on this page is enough to at least wait and see what's going to happen. I know I'd be supremely pissed if I blew a couple hundred dollars on a new force and then find out its invalidated a month from now or whenever 9th edition is supposed to drop.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I kind of have to admit that the Karl Franz thing is entirely made up. I did it as an experiment to see how far it would reach based on nothing but absolute lies. I just shrunk down a Maulerfiend base to fit.

Its ended up making several websites and people are using it as proof of GW doing everything from switching to round bases and squatting Lizardmen. Kind of proves my point about how easy it is to literally make poo poo up about GW and have it be posted as gospel with absolutely no proof. Especially when a blog claimed credit for digging it up.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Doing the lord's work, Serious Gaylord. I salute you.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I kind of have to admit that the Karl Franz thing is entirely made up. I did it as an experiment to see how far it would reach based on nothing but absolute lies. I just shrunk down a Maulerfiend base to fit.

Its ended up making several websites and people are using it as proof of GW doing everything from switching to round bases and squatting Lizardmen. Kind of proves my point about how easy it is to literally make poo poo up about GW and have it be posted as gospel with absolutely no proof. Especially when a blog claimed credit for digging it up.

:vince:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lizardmen abandoning the world by blasting off in space-globes would be great, because then I would have an in-universe reason that my army stays in a glass cabinet and never fights anyone!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Did you fake the white dwarf cover too, the timeline, and the blurb about kroak as well? Encouraging people to invest a large amount of money in a product that may not exist at all in its current form in a couple months is a really lovely thing to do.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

serious gaylord posted:

Kudos to you.

My favourite troll like this was a dude on WargamerAU scratch built a leman Russ from cardboard but it had the same design elements as the plastic baneblade. He primed it grey and then shared it around as proof of a new LR kit during the 5th ed IG release. Everyone swallowed it hook like and sinker .

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gaylord if you have proof (I believe you, it would just be nice to get some real backup on this) you should post it in the GW Death Pool thread, there were a ton of pages about the whole thing and what it meant for GW's future lol

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

Did you do all the old Tyranid rumors too? Or was that someone else on the forums?

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Big Willy Style posted:

Everyone swallowed it hook like and sinker .

It's "Hook, line and sinker".

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

serious gaylord posted:

do you play skaven? :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Please don't poo poo up this thread. Keep it in the Death Pool thread.

For my local escalation league, should I spend my extra 500 points next month on a Steam Tank, upgrade my level 2 of Shadow to level 4, or get a unit of Demigryphs? The Steam Tank will likely hold things up better but I'm not 100% sure.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What's the rest of your list? Either Steam Tank or Demigryphs are good, it's just a matter of what else you're using.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

What's the rest of your list? Either Steam Tank or Demigryphs are good, it's just a matter of what else you're using.

1 Grand Master @ 259.0 Pts
General; Barding; Full Plate Armor; Shield; Warhorse
Runefang
Opal Amulet

1 Grey Guardian (Shadow) @ 135.0 Pts
Magic Level 2; Lore of Shadow
Dispel Scroll

1 Captain of the Empire @ 198.0 Pts
Lance; Full Plate Armor; Battle Standard; Pegasus
Talisman of Preservation
Enchanted Shield

1 Warrior Priest @ 135.0 Pts
Barding; Prayers of Sigmar; Heavy Armour; Shield; Warhorse
Obsidian Amulet
Helm of the Skavenslayer
Ironcurse Icon

34 Halberdiers @ 310.0 Pts
Halberd; Light Armour; Standard; Musician
1 Sergeant
5 Det - Archer @ [35.0] Pts
5 Det - Archer @ [35.0] Pts

10 Archers @ 80.0 Pts
Normal Bow; Musician

9 Reiksguard Knights @ 263.0 Pts
Barding; Lance; Full Plate Armor; Shield; Standard; Musician; Warhorse
Standard of Discipline

1 Helblaster Volley Gun @ 120.0 Pts

Models in Army: 69
Total Army Cost: 1500.0

I need to throw in more core to meet the requirements still. Probably just more halberds and a bit of shooting.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Please don't poo poo up this thread. Keep it in the Death Pool thread.

This is the Death Pool thread, can you take him back? We don't want him.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Either one would be pretty good; my gut is leaning towards Steam Tanks, to give you a better ranged presence. At 2000 points 9 Reiksguard are still a good unit and I don't think you need the Demigryphs yet.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Babe Magnet posted:

gaylord if you have proof (I believe you, it would just be nice to get some real backup on this) you should post it in the GW Death Pool thread, there were a ton of pages about the whole thing and what it meant for GW's future lol

Well I posted the image in the death pool thread with a really flimsy excuse for its existence. Its a shrunken version of the maulerfiend base off the GW website.

I didnt think it would be taken so seriously and figured it would be called out for the obvious forgery it was so quickly. I fully expect GW are going to round bases, as its an idiotic thing to do. Just dont use Karl Franz as proof.

I cant take credit for the tyranid stuff though, that was another goon who did a masterful job on many other rumours too.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Either one would be pretty good; my gut is leaning towards Steam Tanks, to give you a better ranged presence. At 2000 points 9 Reiksguard are still a good unit and I don't think you need the Demigryphs yet.

That's a good point actually. The Steam Tank will give me a cannon as well which will be pretty helpful at 2000 points.

• Locked thread