Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

is this the way to go re: learning cw?

http://www.g4fon.net/CW%20Trainer.htm

http://c2.com/morse/ is multi-platform, but i haven't used it enough/long enough to actually retain morse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I fiddled with it for 10 minutes and it's a little frustrating. I'm sure I just need to keep at it but this is actually a worthwhile endeavor, right? I guess theoretically i could use a encoder or something, but seems like most hams wouldnt like that. idk.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there are specifically dudes out there that do slow speed CW (for one, it makes reception easier) and you will have tons of them to talk to once you're fluent.

you'll get it. be patient, don't set deadline goals, you'll get it when you get it

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
after a few hours of loving around with the service manual i fixed the giant swedish made Oltronix 32V/10A power supply

it's actually a switching regulator, there's a set of big thyristors that chop up the secondary AC like in a dimmer, followed by a HUGE inductor (it's the size of a can of WD-40) to smooth the DC that goes into some enormous capacitors and some 2N3055 transistors for fine regulation

there's also three sets of isolated control power supplies, one for the thyristor control, one for the CV/CC regulation and a third one for lighting the various neon bulbs that indicate power on and the meter ranging, debugging involved a lot of thinking and careful selection of reference points

the problem? not the transistors, not the thyristors, not the control circuitry, finally i noticed that probing the feedback node on the control board made the supply go crazy, then i started tracing the feedback path from the output through the pot and onto the PCB

at which point it stopped, some rear end in a top hat wired this thing to only run with external feedback on a rear panel connector, no trace of the jumpers to actually connect it to the error amplifier, once i added that jumper it worked immediately.

here's a picture from after the repair:

note that it supports 4-wire sensing, not a cheap feature
the mechanical dial is broken, a guy at work has one of these and told me a swedish guy ran off with the oltronix spare parts stock and sells NOS units, so might look in to that

it's a dual range meter, the neon lamps say which range is selected, 0-8 and 0-40V + 3/12A ranges

rear part of the chassis, big transformer, top left is the active rectifier under a cover, large shielded block is a single inductor, capacitors are fairly clear, top right is 3 pass transistors + driver

looks to be a late 60s design based on the PCB and component selection

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that is a tank

4-wire is badass. Good work!

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
it's a pretty brutal design, notice the over voltage protection switch, that's another thyristor that kills a 10A fuse if it ever goes over voltage, sure hope it's not used as a battery charger when it trips

i should measure the inductor too, it's ridiculously large, of course it has to be to store that kind of energy at 100 Hz

gonna need to buy a set of test leads, using 4 meters + scope was pretty useful today but i barely have enough leads and probes so had to improvize things

test setup was one dmm on the input caps, one on the output, the hand held with clamps over the final regulator and a set of leads to measure random stuff

by sacrificing a little accuracy and noise immunity the HP dmms can apparently do over 300 measurements a second, and over 20 per second in 6 digit mode by reducing the mains hum filter time and turning off the low pass filters, auto ranging is very quick too

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Got my call on Tuesday and spent the morning working PSK31. Kind of amazing 7W was getting me all the way to Europe. Fun stuff.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

what the hell am I supposed to do with 17 900mhz radio modules, seven GSM/GPRS modems, and 18 8051-based microcontroller boards with 256k sram and 64k eeprom??

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
sell them and buy a scope

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

what the hell am I supposed to do with 17 900mhz radio modules, seven GSM/GPRS modems, and 18 8051-based microcontroller boards with 256k sram and 64k eeprom??

flex pager decoder that updates a twitter with the contents? (note: this is illegal, do not do)

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
send me one or two of each, op

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
just transmitted and talked to some dads in homestead :3:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
lol on utwente you can hear a huge cw pileup on the lower end of 80m

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
turned out i only did half the job last night fixing the oltronix supply, testing with the radio as a load it would drop from 14 to 11.5V at full load, pretty awful, 4-wire was even worse

after replacing couple of transistors i thought were bad i noticed there was a different way to hook up the positive sense line on the PCB, so i swapped it over

now in 4-wire mode it stays within 0.01% from 0 to 10A at 14V, that's a bit better

e: just noticed, the current limiter goes to 11

longview fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 18, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crossbar posted:

Got my call on Tuesday and spent the morning working PSK31. Kind of amazing 7W was getting me all the way to Europe. Fun stuff.

I'm buying an FT-817 just because "psk means 5 watts is enough". its amazing.
ill still have the 735 for yelling on ssb

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm buying an FT-817 just because "psk means 5 watts is enough". its amazing.
ill still have the 735 for yelling on ssb

5w into crappy antenna got me all the way to South Africa on Sunday. Crazy poo poo.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
is this a thing I can play at w/ my 5 watt uv-5r w/ my vehicle antenna?

Hello to all our friends in the VHF world from the K5QE contest team....

K5QE will be operating in the ARRL January VHF Contest and would
really appreciate any contacts that we can make during the contest.
We will begin normal operation at the beginning of the contest--1PM
CST on Saturday the 24th. We will be operating as a Limited Multi-op
station this year, using 6M, 2M, 222, and 432. The contest ends at
10PM CST Sunday night.

We want / need to make contacts with as many stations as possible that
are "fairly close" to us using SSB / CW or FM(see below). We should
be able to work you, especially on the lower bands, and need to hear
from you. Please call in on 2M on 144.200MHz, 222.100MHz, or on
432.100MHz and we will work you there and on all the other bands that
we can. We really appreciate your helping us out with contacts where
ever possible. Thanks in advance.

This year, in order to help the new FM class, we will look for 2M FM
contacts on 146.46MHz simplex at 9PM Central on both Saturday night
and Sunday night. FM stations within 100 miles of us should be FB,
especially if you have a vertically polarized beam and can point our
way. We don't run high power on FM, but we do have a 9el beam way up
high, so we can work a long way out there.

LATE NIGHT OPERATIONS:
On 6M, we will be operating WSJT FSK441 digital meteor scatter on
50.265MHz. We will begin 6M meteor scatter operations at 0100ZSunday
= 7:00PM CST Sat Night and will cease FSK operations at 7AM Local time
on Sundaymorning. After that time, we will resume normal tropo
operations.

We have several schedules this time, but as soon as we complete a
schedule, we will call CQ K5QE 265 on 50.260MHz, but we will RX on
50.265MHz and we will complete our contacts there. If we are calling
CQ towards the NE, we will be on First Sequence. If we are calling
towards the West or NW, we will be on Second Sequence.

Since we are a Multi-Multi station, we will be looking at the
Ping-Jockey reflector whenever we are doing meteor scatter type
operations. Due to the ARRL rules, we can not post there. If you are
not in the ARRL contest, you can post to the reflector freely. Hence,
you can talk to us, but we cannot answer back. Please spot us AND our
frequency on the appropriate reflector if you see us--that way, others
can find us.

On 2M, we will be operating WSJT FSK441 digital meteor scatter on
144.142MHz from 7PM CST CST Sat Night and will cease FSK operations at
7AM Local time on Sundaymorning. After that time, we will resume
normal tropo operations.

When we operate 2M digital meteor scatter, we will RX on 144.142MHz.
We will call CQ K5QE 142 on 144.140MHz, but we will complete our
contacts on 144.142MHz. Please call us there. We will be on normal
sequence(see above).

During Late Night Operations, tropo stations can call in on 432.100MHz
or 222.100MHz. We should be able to pick you up there. We will still
work you on the other bands, by stopping digital operations for just a
short time. We very much want to get you in the log, even if it is
late at night.

EARLY MORNING OPERATIONS:
Especially on 2M and 432, if you are an intermediate range station,
please look for us carefully in the early AM hours of Sundaymorning,
say from 7AM to 10AM, when we have the best chance of a tropo opening.
It is amazing how far you can work during those "magic hours" if you
just get a bit of enhancement.

Thank you in advance for spending some time to work us in the contest.

73's Marshall K5QE
EM31cj

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes! you can definitely get a few contacts on FM, looks like they are setting up on simplex for just that purpose

if you want to get plucky, get that SDR running and check out 144.2 to 144.3 see if you can listen to some SSB guys.

there's a weekly SSB net here and I checked in with 3 watts on my vertical (SSB is traditionally horizontally polarized) and guys heard me from Greeley to Colorado Springs, bout an hour either way

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
sweet. OFC childe just woke up from her nap but it sounds like they'll be around for a while.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
FT-817 is pro. I've got one in a box somewhere since I haven't done ham stuff in years but I remember making voice contacts 800-900mi away on 20m with 5 W into a crappy whip antenna.

what's the yospos-approved baofeng model for ragchewing with racist grandpas on local repeaters?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

UV-5R/R+/RA/RE etc..

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

UV-5R/R+/RA/RE etc..

they're all pretty much the same, right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

they're all pretty much the same, right?

yeah get whatever

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10945

I'd get this one tbh. I think it's the one that doesn't get overloaded as easily

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i test on wed. whats a good way to study these days? im gonna see if i can get all 3 in one try (probably not i'm coming down with a cold)

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

quote:

I bought this HT for one reason, the UV-B5 Yahoo Users Group discovered that the 1.25M band can be accessed by this model, making it a tri-band HT. The latest version of CHIRP supports opening the range of this radio so that you can program 220 mHz repeater frequencies into the CHIRP table and upload them.

i'd love to see some stats as to just how terrible the tx signal across the band is when doing this, since the uv-3r was barely compliant in the bands it was actually loving designed for

that said i have a uv-82 and it definitely suits my needs just fine, despite its hilariously clunky programming (use a cable) and the fact that you have to power cycle the loving thing to get it to go memory<->frequency entry

it doesn't have the thing my uv-3r had where some random intermod in the 450+ range from taxi cab MDTs would completely obliterate the entire 70cm band so there's that

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i test on wed. whats a good way to study these days? im gonna see if i can get all 3 in one try (probably not i'm coming down with a cold)

hamstudy.org

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
somebody needs to just get us set up with a method to reflash those baofengs with an entirely new firmware/OS/whatever

you know some beard would write one
e: ok the firmware is locked but you can *very easily* send the cpu commands externally
wow

http://www.amateurradio.com/hacking-the-baofeng-uv-3r/

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 25, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cool article hit rss on how to cut down on your usb connector acting as an antenna

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/reducing-usb-shield-interference-rtl-sdr-dongles/

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is making it look like rear end required or was that just his choice

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i wanna do vhf contesting FM mode simplex

i got all the poo poo for that lol, set my 7900r to 5w and use my big antenna, battery powered

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sniep posted:

i wanna do vhf contesting FM mode simplex

i got all the poo poo for that lol, set my 7900r to 5w and use my big antenna, battery powered

same

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
drat. i guess i cant, i need to go bald and get fat first, also buy a truck and i have none of these thigns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dude the VHF/UHF hilltopper guys are crazy

i love it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

these all start spinning and then the van takes off, right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dude hits the push to talk switch and eighteen-wheelers ahead of him just veer off the road into a ditch as their drivers' eyes boil from RF

obv these are not used in motion

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
some of the hilltopper guys don't run antenna rotators and just fix their beams facing forward, to rotate they just find a big field on top of a hill and drive in circles slowly till the guy in the back gets a signal

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
hey honey, I was thinking about putting another antenna on the suburban...

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

some of the hilltopper guys don't run antenna rotators and just fix their beams facing forward, to rotate they just find a big field on top of a hill and drive in circles slowly till the guy in the back gets a signal

'what got me into the hobby? well, i like driving slowly in circles and being told what to do, and i loving adore getting weird looks from every human being who sees my car, so'

just wait until they see my 2m mobile EME rig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100KHz-1-...=item27e5f82a3c

someone tell me why i shouldn't buy this

quote:

this item is 100KHz-1GHz full band RTL.SDR Receiver Kit.

Including all parts , such as Shell . Go back to their own openings , welding , commissioning

There are supporting a U / V antenna , 1pc 3m cable ,1pc USB cable

NOTE : This is the DIY kit ,it is need welding by oneself

Package included :

1 X 100KHz-1.7GHz full band UV HF RTL-SDR USB Tuner Receiver DIY KITS w U/V antenna

• Locked thread