Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's enough degradation in a fixed Indycar race that if you take tires halfway through, you'll be a good bit faster than those who don't. If it's green the whole way there's no point but under yellow, it just might be worth sacrificing track position unless you're really really good at saving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Lord Crapulus posted:

Unfortunately, one of the guys signed up and then never connected, but his stupid 600 iRating still helped kill the SOF grrrr need more points

I read somewhere that the highest and lowest iRatings are left out of the SoF calculation, but I cannot find a citation anywhere.

edit: I did some quick math on a previous race. SoF was closer to the average of all cars minus the top and bottom iRatings than it was to the average of all iRatings. Neither one was bang on though. SoF was 2291, average iRating 2375, average minus top and bottom 2259.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 16, 2015

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's enough degradation in a fixed Indycar race that if you take tires halfway through, you'll be a good bit faster than those who don't. If it's green the whole way there's no point but under yellow, it just might be worth sacrificing track position unless you're really really good at saving them.

I couldn't decide if I was going to pit under a caution or not because track position, but I could definitely see how fresh tires would make a difference. My lap times were down over .5 sec late in that race, although some of that was having to lift whenever I'd get close to the guy in front of me. I'm complaining about aero push, it must be an accurate simulation! It was pretty fun though, I'll have to do more of these. It was also a lot of fun not qualifying and having to come through the field. Plus I got an award for it, gotta get them all.

ManicJason posted:

I read somewhere that the highest and lowest iRatings are left out of the SoF calculation, but I cannot find a citation anywhere.

edit: I did some quick math on a previous race. SoF was closer to the average of all cars minus the top and bottom iRatings than it was to the average of all iRatings. Neither one was bang on though.

Yeah, I saw that it wasn't just the average. I hadn't realized that it was a Secret Formula (TM). The next lowest guy was just under 900, so I don't know that it would've even helped if they dropped a couple, but who knows. It was a very odd mix of ratings for such a small race, we had a 4600, 4200, 3800, 1500, 1500, 900, and 600. I don't normally see other highly rated guys do races at odd times, but I guess when so few go official, you take what you can get.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lord Crapulus posted:

I couldn't decide if I was going to pit under a caution or not because track position, but I could definitely see how fresh tires would make a difference. My lap times were down over .5 sec late in that race, although some of that was having to lift whenever I'd get close to the guy in front of me.

That's the thing, the aero push effect is a lot lower when you can force your way through it on fresh tires. When they're old it's a lot harder.

Texas was really interesting in that regard, especially because of all of the yellows. I managed to win a couple races there by getting pole and staying up front; fresh tires were faster there too but if you can bunch the field up and get a 1.5+ second gap on every restart, by the time they've caught you their tires are going off too. Those last restarts you'll be hanging on for dear life from wheelspin, though.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Cojawfee posted:

You actually have to change tires in the fixed races?
Oh absolutely. No one cares about my stories but here's a story. Last night running trucks at Charlotte, I was running 4th when the first caution dropped on about lap 11. I mentally checked out under caution, only coming back to reality once I noticed something was wrong. Everyone from 1st to 9th had pitted except for our hero. So it's fun to inherit the lead, but when you know everyone from about the 3rd row back is on fresh tires, noooot so much.

e: Nothing like looking to the left and seeing all the people you'd been running with filing down pit lane.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It is nice to see the change they made to the DW12 or the tire model (both?) that eliminates the line-hugging antics at Michigan. Though I assume there are still asshats that try to pass on the apron?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's the thing, the aero push effect is a lot lower when you can force your way through it on fresh tires. When they're old it's a lot harder.

Texas was really interesting in that regard, especially because of all of the yellows. I managed to win a couple races there by getting pole and staying up front; fresh tires were faster there too but if you can bunch the field up and get a 1.5+ second gap on every restart, by the time they've caught you their tires are going off too. Those last restarts you'll be hanging on for dear life from wheelspin, though.

That's how I won a Phoenix Truck race last year, never took tires, had a late yellow, and had the lead when everyone pitted. Took the flag with two to go, jumped the start, and dirt tracked my rear end off. 2nd place was at my quarter panel when we crossed the line.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh absolutely. No one cares about my stories but here's a story. Last night running trucks at Charlotte, I was running 4th when the first caution dropped on about lap 11. I mentally checked out under caution, only coming back to reality once I noticed something was wrong. Everyone from 1st to 9th had pitted except for our hero. So it's fun to inherit the lead, but when you know everyone from about the 3rd row back is on fresh tires, noooot so much.

e: Nothing like looking to the left and seeing all the people you'd been running with filing down pit lane.

I like stories. Then I don't feel as bad for boring people with mine :v:

Bentai posted:

It is nice to see the change they made to the DW12 or the tire model (both?) that eliminates the line-hugging antics at Michigan. Though I assume there are still asshats that try to pass on the apron?

I didn't see or hear about any at Michigan, but Kentucky's coming up!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

I don't think it's possible to make the fixed setup stick down there on all but the freshest tires. Try that after four or five laps and you're going to put yourself in the wall.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I'm lucky that I liked running the high line there in the old car then. Last night I was one of those asshats that thinks five minutes of practice is enough to jump into a race, but I picked up quite a few spots from people that burned their tires off trying to run low in the corners.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'll have to rewatch some old videos to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the last couple seasons you could just hold the apron line for the entire race.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lord Crapulus posted:

Last night I was one of those asshats that thinks five minutes of practice is enough to jump into a race

I didn't even buy Michigan until about 15 minutes before the race :v:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I didn't even buy Michigan until about 15 minutes before the race :v:

IndyCar at Michigan is the equivalent to NASCAR at Talladega except that bump drafting = :suicide:

It only requires 5 laps of practice and you'll be fine

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 16, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've never seen people take tires in fixed indy.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It happens, it just depends on the race.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

iRacing claimed to have added more oval tire wear in the last update. That's not the first time they've said that, though. I've definitely seen people pit in indy fixed even before that.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It does certainly feel like they've added better tire wear. Did a full tank run last night with the fixed setup and as the tires get older it seemed like I consistently had less wiggle room for entry. After maybe 8-10 laps, my lap times plateaued or went up.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not even that tire degradation is that bad, but if you gain even a tenth, in the draft that's gonna get magnified.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Well, I tried going the other way on tires this last race. We had three cautions, something like lap 9, 15, and 23. I pitted under the first one, since I was only up to 10th or so (from 19th, 26 car field). Everyone who didn't on the first did on the second, so I inherited the lead. Did some side-by-side with some other guy, who got his nose just in front when the last caution came out. I pitted from 2nd, but almost no one else did, so I got to restart 16th. I did make it back to 5th, probably would've had 3rd if some guy didn't run me pretty high into 3 coming to the checkered. The guy I had been racing with led the rest of the race, and I had been holding him on the bottom when we were side-by-side, so I guess my tires would've been good enough. Oh well.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lord Crapulus posted:

when the last caution came out. I pitted from 2nd
Oooooh that there be a mistake every time.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

At that point, you just gotta hang on for dear life. :D

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Bentai posted:

At that point, you just gotta hang on for dear life. :D

Yep, if you're top 5 at the end you stay out unless it was a long green stretch and more than 1 car ahead of you goes in.

Dirt track that bitch!

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

There was still a little less than 20 laps to go, I just figured that a few more people would go for it. I am a terrible oval strategist.

e: got taken out by some jackass this morning, I think I've had enough oval

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 17, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
iRacing is great for making GBS threads on the notion that oval racing is just a couple left turns lol

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Pfft ovals suck right turns 4 lyfe

So I just almost doubled my incident count for the season in Indy road, apparently when you're in last, about to be lapped, and off the track, the absolute best time to come back on is by squeezing yourself between the leader and the guy in 2nd who's a second behind right in the middle of a chicane! It was a pretty weak 4x though, I don't think either one of us actually took damage.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

iRacing is great for making GBS threads on the notion that oval racing is just a couple left turns lol

Go back to the IndyCar thread :frogout:

Also Open Indy > Fixed Indy
Still can't wait for the full-length IndyCar series...

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KingShibby posted:

Also Open Indy > Fixed Indy

I would be inclined to agree with you if I could set a car up to save my life.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I don't think I will ever go near open set ups, the only time I've been involved in them is in hosted sessions. Where everybody takes the same car as me and yet magically go faster because the base setup sucks.

VikingSkull posted:

http://pahlavan.se/dump/carburatorcup_crash.webm :v:

simble
May 11, 2004

Holy poo poo, Torabi, let off the god damned gas.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

simble posted:

Holy poo poo, Torabi, let off the god damned gas.

I knew I was going to crash way before but since it's the carburator cup I said gently caress it and tried to drive through. :v:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You carb cupped the gently caress out of that one.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Torabi posted:

I knew I was going to crash way before but since it's the carburator cup I said gently caress it and tried to drive through. :v:

Obligatory video for that situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77ybggTHHg

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like how the solution for being in last place in movies that have racing is to just shift and then mash the gas pedal.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Saw this guy in a race today

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/CareerStats.do?custid=178850

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Cojawfee posted:

I like how the solution for being in last place in movies that have racing is to just shift and then mash the gas pedal.
Nah but really every time we restart from a caution and I get a great jump on people in front of me it kinda takes me to that moment.

Haha, legend.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

He called someone a bitch, in text. If he had a mic I'm sure he would say it like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95BBxPWGwNQ

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

Hey, I never said it was harder than road racing, road racing is way more difficult, in fact.

Oval racing is harder than you'd think, though.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

simble posted:

Humble Sea Bass: Proof that you can spend a ton of money on equipment and still be loving terrible.

I smell anger and resentment because my eyes are not fucktarded and can use an oculus rift.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I just did my first official Skippy race. Top-10 and I didn't hit anyone else. I feel pretty good about it.:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Please say you and I are not just idiots for waiting on that. The last I heard was an off-hand remark from some iRacing employee before the team racing patch. Please be real.

• Locked thread