Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just run collateral damage.

I'm sure if we put enough bad cards together they can add up to a good card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

If it was sort of a forced dash I could see it being useful somewhat in limited but there's no reason at all to pick it over any type of burn spell.

Even giving it flash and keeping the bounce to library would make it good as a removal blocker or finisher, as it is it's just trash tho

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

AceClown posted:

If it was sort of a forced dash I could see it being useful somewhat in limited but there's no reason at all to pick it over any type of burn spell.

Even giving it flash and keeping the bounce to library would make it good as a removal blocker or finisher, as it is it's just trash tho

I wonder if Lava Axe Dragon wasn't originally supposed to be a dash-only spell, but they nixed mandatory dash spells for some reason in development. They've done the forcing nontraditional casting cost thing before mandatory suspend spells. I know it's supposed to give single cards alternate purposes and removing that alternate purpose for a card that basically just reads "Haste, return [this card] to your hand at the end of it's owners next end step."

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I wonder if Lava Axe Dragon wasn't originally supposed to be a dash-only spell, but they nixed mandatory dash spells for some reason in development. They've done the forcing nontraditional casting cost thing before mandatory suspend spells. I know it's supposed to give single cards alternate purposes and removing that alternate purpose for a card that basically just reads "Haste, return [this card] to your hand at the end of it's owners next end step."

Hopefully they errata Viashino Sandstalker, Viashino Sandscout, and Archwing Dragon to have dash costs instead of normal ones :colbert:

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I think if it had forced dash instead it would actually be quite strong, probably too strong for a common. It would be straight up better than Archwing Dragon which I think saw some Constructed play. (edit: lol no it wouldn't, confused casting costs) Not to mention a hasty 5/5 trampler in the air for 5 would actually be pretty insane in limited if it just went back to your hand every turn. Going to your library is a completely different beast, and if it was originally "forced dash" I would imagine it was substantially weaker in some other categories (higher casting cost, lower P/T, no trample or something).

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 17, 2015

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010
Went to a midnight pre-release and ended up going 4-1, which was a lot better than I expected. I wanted to choose Jeskai but those were gone by the time I got to pick, so I went with Mardu instead. Ended up throwing in some green stuff with it and going 4-color and it worked surprisingly well. Only used two of my rares as well, Soulflayer and the GW dragon. The big thing that won me games were fliers and also a bunch of the runemark enchantments, I think I had about 4 of those. Won a couple matches 2-0 and a couple 2-1, the one game loss usually coming very quick because I was mana screwed. My only match loss was from someone who had a lot of crazy bombs and plenty of removal including Supplant form which he used to copy my dragon and then countered it the next turn. I opened one mythic in my pool, but it was Ghastly Conscription. :(

EDIT: also I don't think anyone at my pre-release opened a special Ugin either. I got a Wildcall, but the art really isn't that much different, I don't think you'd notice at a glance.

Handshake Drugs fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 17, 2015

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

odiv posted:

Just run collateral damage.

I'm sure if we put enough bad cards together they can add up to a good card.

T1 Elvish Mystic
T2 Yasova Dragonclaw
T3 Threaten + Collateral Damage

Life's Legacy and Harness by Force as back up plans. This deck is gonna be great.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

This whole set just seems a little underwhelming, is that just because it's a filler set?

I mean good value cards so far are

Ugin
Fetches
Monastary Mentor
and possibly Alesha

I was thinking about grabbing a box next weekend but for the £70 it's going to cost me I think I can get the singles I want and still have change for a pizza...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AceClown posted:

This whole set just seems a little underwhelming, is that just because it's a filler set?

I mean good value cards so far are

Ugin
Fetches
Monastary Mentor
and possibly Alesha

I was thinking about grabbing a box next weekend but for the £70 it's going to cost me I think I can get the singles I want and still have change for a pizza...

Boxes are never a worthwhile proposition unless you're drafting anyways.

And yeah it's pretty much Monastery Mentor, that card's going to be insane in Jeskai.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm getting a box for judging my local PPTQ, and we're just gonna use it to practice sealed for the Liverpool GP.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Library Dragon worked just fine for me as a curve-topper for an easy 5 damage or getting rid of a flying blocker, haters gonna hate. :c00l:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

bhsman posted:

Library Dragon worked just fine for me as a curve-topper for an easy 5 damage or getting rid of a flying blocker, haters gonna hate. :c00l:

Which only really works if the opponent is on low enough life that they have to block it otherwise the smart play is to let the damage through and then back to normal the turn after.

Sure it has situational advantage in niche cases but I'd take a boggy 5/5 for 5 without flying that sticks around over it any day.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I got to live the dream of Lightning Shrieker, swing, Collateral Damage his rear end, Fearsome Awakening him next turn for 15 damage total. Wouldn't plan on it, but it was probably the most use you could possibly get out of him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AceClown posted:

Which only really works if the opponent is on low enough life that they have to block it otherwise the smart play is to let the damage through and then back to normal the turn after.

Sure it has situational advantage in niche cases but I'd take a boggy 5/5 for 5 without flying that sticks around over it any day.

Yea the only time I see that really helping is if the guy's already almost dead and you're just finishing him off. Otherwise you just eat the damage and say bye bye to the dragon regardless.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

bhsman posted:

I worked 'alright' for me, but it really is less than ideal.

I probably should have been splashing for the vanilla green 5/4 common.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I have a rules question that came up at the prerelease. It didn't end up making a difference for the match, but I'd like to know what was correct for my own information.

I have Alesha, Who Smiles at Death on the battlefield, and a War-Name Aspirant in my graveyard. I attacked with Alesha, paid the optional cost and brought out the Aspirant to attack as well. I noted in passing that I didn't think raid triggered so I wouldn't put a +1/+1 counter on my aspirant. My opponent was like "really, are you sure? Lets call a judge", even though my interpretation of the rules was to my opponent's benefit. I wasn't 100% sure about it and wanted to know, so we called him over.

The judge for our LGS, who is normally very good quickly realized the weirdness of the situation. I believed raid did not trigger because I thought both attacked at the same time. After thinking for a few moments, the judge thought Alesha was declared as an attacker, her ability was put on the stack, the Aspirant was brought in to attack, and that was enough to trigger raid. It didn't matter because I drew well after that and crushed him, but next time maybe this raid weirdness will be from the other side, so who was correct?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
That is indeed how it works...

I wish I had more Alesha targets like War-Name, you're lucky. :(

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Northjayhawk posted:

After thinking for a few moments, the judge thought Alesha was declared as an attacker, her ability was put on the stack, the Aspirant was brought in to attack, and that was enough to trigger raid.

The judge here is correct.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

i think its ordered like this:

You decide to attack with Alesha.

Her ability triggers, you pay the cost and you get a war name aspirant ETB triggers

ETB, checks if you have attacked with a creature yet (Yes), and you get a counter on it

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the only time I see that really helping is if the guy's already almost dead and you're just finishing him off. Otherwise you just eat the damage and say bye bye to the dragon regardless.

One thing I did notice at this pre release is that people will really work hard to protect their life totals even if they're sat on 22 life or something and you're swinging with a 3/3 they'll make some really unfavourable trades to stop that damage. Is this normal? Just seems a bit odd to me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
About to lose and rip a Crater's Claw for exactly lethal off the top. That luck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

About to lose and rip a Crater's Claw for exactly lethal off the top. That luck.

I'm glad they reintroduced Fireball into the format. Better Fireball.

Also Shock. Better Shock.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Trip report:

Guy next to me opened one too. I'm seeing them for sale at crazy prices on Ebay and Magiccardmarket, but I'm delighted to have turned mine into a Clique, regardless of if I'm losing out on value.

Also, the G/R dragon is a bit ridiculous.

Alsoalso, there was a kid at my prerelease today who started playing around the time Khans came out, where he went 0-5 at the prerelease then. I gave him some pointers at the end of that day, and today he went 3-2-1 and thanked me for my help when he got his prizes at the end of the event. :3: Be nice to your new players, yall!

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 17, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AceClown posted:

One thing I did notice at this pre release is that people will really work hard to protect their life totals even if they're sat on 22 life or something and you're swinging with a 3/3 they'll make some really unfavourable trades to stop that damage. Is this normal? Just seems a bit odd to me.

It's a very common mistake new players make. On their first day, new Magicv players make bad attacks but they break that habit fast, learning not to chump block unless it keeps you out of burn/evasion range is much harder.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
God, I have an extra Clique. I don't know if I wanna trade it for an Ugin tho. :O

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
yeah that's a pretty solid trade on your part.

edit: I mean, clique is probably getting reprinted in MM15, but it is used a lot in modern/legacy. Most pre-release cards, even ones that are of cards that see heavy legacy/modern play (emrakul) aren't worth what a clique is. Just imagine if it turns out that ugin is another surrak, dragonclaw. Plummeting to sub $10 for the regular version, $15 for the pre-release. I think you might've lost in the (very) short term but even a month out you'll be ahead, and especially so in 1-2 years.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 17, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Ended up choosing jeskai last minute, went undefeated in the tournament on the backs of Dhagawhatever, Monastery Mentor and a billion removal spells. Pulled the mythic green guy and the red khan in my winnings.

My ugin pack was garbage. No one got an ugin promo.

All in all it was as fun as khans was, where I won the tournament riding behind 2 siege rhinos.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was rather unhappy w/ my Sultai pool, and almost went w/ a mediocre mardu deck, but I figured if they're of comparable power go w/ the slower deck (that also had better fixing). The way things worked out I think I could've gone 4-0 if not for time limits. Basically once I got 5/6 mana none of the opponents could beat me, save one game where a jeskai charm hit me for lethal once I stabilized the board.

I was skeptical because a) I had virtually zero removal and b) had no early big butts, but Jeskai Sage and Sultai Emissary really pulled through. I got multiple 3 for 1s w/ the Sages (possibly due to player inexperience). Incredible value from these guys. Sagu Archer also did a lot of work.

Pyrotechnics was an awesome card on the splash. I went through so many cards each game, I never had an issue casting it (I had 3 red tap lands). It was my only removal besides a copy of Grim Contest (which was awful early game).

I'll post the card list in the limited thread if anyone wants to comment (this was actually only my second sealed event, so please do).

Also, I passed on an Ugin's Fate pack that was meant for me (just being polite, I got mine a second later) which contained an Ugin. He was ecstatic, certainly more than I would've been, so didn't actually mind much.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Went Jeskai, pulled a very solid pool. Went 4-0 for first place. Got 4 packs in prizes and pulled trash. Life's a roller coaster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I got a Monastery Mentor in my rewards packs. I'm never investing into Standard. Probably ought to sell it now?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I got a Monastery Mentor in my rewards packs. I'm never investing into Standard. Probably ought to sell it now?

It's the money mythic in a small set.

It might wind up sharply spiking in about a week or so and then dropping slowly, but I don't see the price going down a whole lot immediately.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Picked Abzan. Got Dromoka as my promo, opened Daghatar, Sorin, Monastery Mentor, and a bunch of removal, went 3-0 easy. The reward packs were trash, but whatever.

This has been bugging me for a few days, but does anybody else think there should be a black common sorcery that manifests a creature? Preferably at either 1 or 6 mana, to make the "cycle" fit together really well. (Soul Summons, Write into Being, Formless Nurturing, Fierce Invocation)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Glidergun posted:

This has been bugging me for a few days, but does anybody else think there should be a black common sorcery that manifests a creature? Preferably at either 1 or 6 mana, to make the "cycle" fit together really well. (Soul Summons, Write into Being, Formless Nurturing, Fierce Invocation)

Sultai Emissary is that card done the sultai way. It's also not bad.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Just pulled a foil Monestary Mentor. Is that one going to be going up or should I dump it before it sinks?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mef989 posted:

Just pulled a foil Monestary Mentor. Is that one going to be going up or should I dump it before it sinks?

That foil is not sinking for 2 years. Keep it for a bit and see how the card does in Legacy/Vintage, if it's good it'll be worth hundreds.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Did a midnight last night with 3 buddies, making up 1/3 of the 12-person crowd. All 4 of us opened Mythics in our seeded packs (two Jeskais opened Soulfire, Temur opened Shaman, I, as Mardu, opened a Brutal Hordechief).

Then one of the Jeskai guys opened a second Soulfire GM. And the other Jeskai guy? A foil Ugin. I opened ONE other playable rare (Phoenix) from my whole pool. I still went 2-1 for 3rd - turns out rushing in Mardu Scouts (3 in my pool), Hordeling Outburst, and Ponyback Brigade all play really well with Hordechief. My Highlight was activating Hordechief and having my opponent quintuple-block a 1/1 goblin.

Who came in 1st and 2nd? My Jeskai-playing friends.

No one opened an Alt-Art Ugin from our pool of 12. Organizer said it's a 1/40 chance to get him in the packs.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mef989 posted:

Yeah that's going to be a modern staple, keep it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

This deck was pretty sick. I had just one loss going into the final round.....

And my final round opponent refused to draw into top 8 with me. I lost because in the final game I ran out of gas and he stuck his Ugin. As a result, he gained absolutely nothing and I lost out on 14 packs (if everyone split).

gently caress that guy.

I can't REALLY complain because I have that shiny shiny Soulfire Grand Master promo, but gently caress that guy all the same. Everyone else in the top 8 even went over to explain that what he did was technically allowed but highly frowned upon because there's no reason to do what he did as it did not affect the prize he would receive, but he still refused.

Guess I'll just dump that thing over in the trade thread and take out my aggression on a cube draft.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This deck was pretty sick. I had just one loss going into the final round.....

And my final round opponent refused to draw into top 8 with me. I lost because in the final game I ran out of gas and he stuck his Ugin. As a result, he gained absolutely nothing and I lost out on 14 packs (if everyone split).

gently caress that guy.

I can't REALLY complain because I have that shiny shiny Soulfire Grand Master promo, but gently caress that guy all the same. Everyone else in the top 8 even went over to explain that what he did was technically allowed but highly frowned upon because there's no reason to do what he did as it did not affect the prize he would receive, but he still refused.

Guess I'll just dump that thing over in the trade thread and take out my aggression on a cube draft.

Just remember that the would-be 9th place guy got surprise feelgoods and probably made his night :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went mardu, opened up an absolute pile of poo poo, went 2-2. My pity pack and my ugin pack sucked. At least I got to trade some of my jank for the jank I wanted.

• Locked thread