Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Roommate spent 3 hours taking a new-looking shiny head off a junkyard motor to find two shattered pistons embedded in it.

Guess I'm going to the yard tomorrow :haw:

Pro tip. Spin the motor over by hand with a breaker bar. If you feel compression with no gaps you're less likely to have a dumper of a motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Slow is Fast posted:

Pro tip. Spin the motor over by hand with a breaker bar. If you feel compression with no gaps you're less likely to have a dumper of a motor.

Better yet -- just take your cheap borescope (or borrow one if you're poor) and stick it down each of the plug holes... won't tell you everything, but it'll tell you if you've got piston pieces missing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

Roommate spent 3 hours taking a new-looking shiny head off a junkyard motor to find two shattered pistons embedded in it.

Guess I'm going to the yard tomorrow :haw:

Guess why? That jeep was a few steps ahead of his.

1. 0331 head cracks
2. Owner does not notice for too long
3. Coolant and oil form domestic partnership
4. Strange knocky sounds emanate
5. :ohdear:
6. Have new head installed and hope for the best
7. ???
8. :can: just imagine those are conrods, not worms!

I hope he caught his earlier than they did (not hard, based on the average car owners idea of the ideal time delay between "hear funny noise" and "take car for service") because otherwise, it is longblock time next.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

1. 0331 head cracks
7. ???

I hope he caught his earlier than they did (not hard, based on the average car owners idea of the ideal time delay between "hear funny noise" and "take car for service") because otherwise, it is longblock time next.

If he brought home a whole motor from the junkyard I'm guessing he's already nuked his own longblock. :)

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

Adiabatic posted:

I really need to find some non-Subaru people.

I can't believe I've missed this here thread

I've got a land rover, miata and a DSM that are always broken, usually simultaneously, and I'm in Richmond without a garage. Want to stand under the british one on Sunday? Its a semi recent acquire and I need to figure some things out like is this head gasket doing its job as a gasket and where is all this oil coming from. Would be sweet to be able to poke around under a lift and not on the side of the street.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

streetlamp posted:

Want to stand under the british one on Sunday? Its a semi recent acquire and I need to figure some things out like is this head gasket doing its job as a gasket and where is all this oil coming from.

A Landrover comes with a covering of oil over the engine/underside as standard, and the drips are just natural leakage..

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

streetlamp posted:

I can't believe I've missed this here thread

I've got a land rover, miata and a DSM that are always broken, usually simultaneously, and I'm in Richmond without a garage. Want to stand under the british one on Sunday? Its a semi recent acquire and I need to figure some things out like is this head gasket doing its job as a gasket and where is all this oil coming from. Would be sweet to be able to poke around under a lift and not on the side of the street.

Yeah bud come on out. I need to get the Jeep finished and figure out why the MR2 is trying to kill me again, but I don't see why we can't have some good ol' electrical fires this weekend as well.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Roommate has been hard at work this weekend. His busted Grand Cherokee is getting a new head, transfer case, oil pump, and assorted fresh fluids:

Yesterday he took care of the transfer case and front diff.

Old:

"New":

Out:

In:

Front diff makeover:

We went out today to source a new head from the junkyard. We couldn't find a TUPY head, but we did find one that had new valve seals and some other work. For $50 we'll put this one on to get driveable while he sources one that isn't going to crack on him:

That's actually a different head, but I forgot to take pictures of us taking the good one off...

Got a little action while we were at it:

Head replacement starts tonight or tomorrow probably, but it's getting out of the way so the MR2 can go up and I can do ball joints and tie rods on it. Streetlamp and his Rover are planning to come over tomorrow as well to do... well... it's a Rover.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

1. 0331 head cracks
7. ???

The head we got today is from this Jeep we were talking about here. It's been pressure washed and new gaskets abound and all that.

Roommate had said the cylinders got munched, but when we went to look at it today, the combustion chambers hadn't been touched, so we finished taking it off and bought it. What are your thoughts on the life expectancy of this head?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
As long as the valves aren't munched and there is no peening from the piston hitting it, gently caress it, run it. I will bet on an iron head in iron head vs cast aluminum piston any day of the week.

Check it for flatness, too. Might have gotten warped slightly I suppose.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Even if the valves look ok, is it worth pulling them and checking?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

InitialDave posted:

Even if the valves look ok, is it worth pulling them and checking?

He can always turn the head sideways and fill the ports with alcohol. That will let you know if the valves don't seat and evaporate quickly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sorry, I meant you can get a slight bend on a valve that's not clear until you pull it, but rubs on the guide in use.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Well that was some bullshit.

Got some rubber mats on it:

Put the Jeep in the BMW spot for the head swap:

Got my pile of poo poo on the lift to figure out why it's trying to kill me:

Oh, maybe because the passenger inner tie rod was loose :psyduck: Guess I missed chiseling down the washer on the shaft side. That oughta do it:

Roommate was super excited I used his oil lift drain:

He worked on the head while I dicked around:

Here's his super high-tech bolt labeling system:

Streetlamp showed up and we popped his Landy up on the lift:

It had a pretty big oil leak coming from the front bottom of the engine:

Lookit dat sexy undercarriage:

These engines are pretty good looking from the top:

Streetlamp dropped some beer off:

Nice meeting you Streetlamp come on back anytime buddy!

Edit: Rover Aficionados: His Rover was making what sounded like a very loud valvetrain tick, but it was intermittent. You could hear it on start-up and it was rhythmic and RPM-dependent when it was happening, but of course when the Rover was on the lift it wouldn't make the noise...

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 18, 2015

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Adiabatic is a rad dude and I'm super stoked to know a lift is available when I need it for some beers. Happy to have had him lift up my heavy british whore and get to look around.

Also on the way home I got to see a small toyota absolutely get crushed by a rogue rim and tire. Everyone was okay and I can only guess a truck lost a spare or it rolled out of a bed/trailer.

efb :arghfist:

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 18, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
lolololo Liners!
(it looks to be a 03-04, oil pumps do explode on those)

Seriously, what weight oil and filter is he running?

as for leaks? hahaha check the lower intake seals and or valvecover gaskets.

Take your light and squeeeeze a beam up behind the bracketry on either side of the timing chain cover, if its covered in filth, theres yer problem.
backside: follow the o2 sensor wires up, the higher you go the nastier it'll continue to be. at the top o the tranny torque converter housing if its filthy as all gently caress, bobs your uncle.
spotlight the fore/aft of the heads for valvecover leaks.

Rear mains don't usually leak, Side crucifix seals do!, the oil pan uses a rubber gasket, Front mains sometimes take a poo poo. Rare ocasions the oil pressure relief valve will leak, if so ding me, I have a box of em in the garage.

Air injection is a megabitch to remove. Hold the injection valves with a wrench while you spin the nut or else it'll crinkle that piece of poo poo injection tube.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Looks like we've got some Landy wrenchin to do. :unsmigghh:

It was definitely leaking from both valve covers, but not too terribly. The metal bits under each cover were dry.

The top of the bellhousing was definitely soaked in oil. So was the entirety of the oil pan, both on the bottom and on the sides. If I had to hazard a guess it looked like the front end leak was coming from the timing chain cover.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The chain cover itself is usually hard to make leak, an oil port on the passenger side. Usually the coolant passages blow the gently caress out, but if you're pulling it out, toss a oil pump in it for safe measure and remove the guide pin.

V covers are held in with 12pt 5/16" socket.

E: D2s have 1 oil port, D1s have two, hurf.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The only correct answer is rotella t 15w-40.

That and all these engines make ticks. Both of my range rovers made upper valve train noise. Motronics does as well. Its a rover thing.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Its an 03 with 155k miles
I put Rotella 15W-40 in it when I got it, pretty sure I stuck on a Fram filter

Landy wrenchinnnnn :2bong:

e: The ticking is the worst under no load, even with the AC running it starts going away and once you start moving it almost instantly disappears

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ditch the lovely fram. k/n 3002 or 3004, I can't remember, its fuckoff big.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

streetlamp posted:

e: The ticking is the worst under no load, even with the AC running it starts going away and once you start moving it almost instantly disappears

Do these tend to stretch their timing chain?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes, but with high rear end miles. the early 3.5/3.9/4.2s were the worst offenders.

Middle cam bearings could be wiped out, I've found that several times now with non-oil cooler engines. it'll clatter/tick like a motherfucker when cold till it builds oil pressure.
Its a megabitch to replace them.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Mine is dead silent when cold and only starts making ticking when it gets really warm, completely opposite of both my miata and DSM

Heres pics from above of both valve covers in their worst spots (both the rear, though there is residue basically around the entire cover). Amount of actual oil escaping must be low as its due for an oil change and the level on the stick has not dropped a noticeable amount.

e: The ticking definitely seems to follow the pattern of the 03/04 slipping liner problem http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74254

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 18, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Running start man. More SPEED is always the answer.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Sidenote that Adiabatic put down those mats over his mudhole and then proceeded to back the MR2 out and completely miss the mats :downs:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
pin-the-loving-liners.

Adiabatic is more than qualified to do such a thing.

When you do the vc gaskets, do the lower intake as well, and the throttle body heater. these things like to leak. also replace the TB heater plastic hoses with 5/16" hose.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:aaaaa:

I've just been reading up on pinning the liners and jesus loving christ why in the world do you have to drill holes in your block to make your car not explode loving land rovers gently caress

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thats not the cureall either!

The definitive fix is tophat liners.
You still need to timesert the block to keep the headbolts from pulling the threads out.
Egg out the coolant ports between the block/head because they flow like poo poo.

well. the heads period flow like poo poo. like flathead mower kind of poo poo.

LS swap...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

:aaaaa:

I've just been reading up on pinning the liners and jesus loving christ why in the world do you have to drill holes in your block to make your car not explode loving land rovers gently caress

one of us one of us one of us

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Appreciate the advice shitbox, going to get all that stuff on order now and will chat with Adiabatic about pinning-the-loving-liners when I go over to take up his garage space again.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
yep! :glomp:

Pinning best works on an engine stand. in situ I've never tried it.

E: VVV the v12 is okay if you update the electronics and the valveguides. oh and BEAT ITS loving rear end DAILY. They do not like to sit.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It could be worse. It could be a jjjjaaaaaaggggg v12 with very questionable electronics managing the engine. That's loving scary town.

That's why my jag has a SBC.

Edit: when things are working correctly they are pretty awesome motors. Pretty decent power for the size, they just don't take heat well.

The jag motors they replaced them with are a million times better. Seriously the 4.4 in my LR3 is fantastic.

I just am thinking about putting the RR sport brakes on this thing now.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 18, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I keep telling you all that Rover V8s are rubbish, but you never listen.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HAHAHAHA.

Welcome to hell, buddy.

I dealt with this fuckers for years

I went bald for a reason.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

pin-the-loving-liners.

cursedshitbox posted:

pin-the-loving-liners.

cursedshitbox posted:

pin-the-loving-liners.

cursedshitbox posted:

pin-the-loving-liners.

cursedshitbox posted:

pin-the-loving-liners.

cursedshitbox posted:

pin-the-loving-liners.

cursedshitbox posted:

Adiabatic is more than qualified to do such a thing.

:barf:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
That is a bit more 'awesome' than a crack repair on a 53 block cummins. Use a drill stop.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Pin the liners or pins in your dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

hahahahah

In all honestly, rovers are not my passion or anything (you rover fuckers are probably insane by the way, this is coming from a long time DSM owner) and I have little to no intention to own this thing for years and years to come. Are slipping liners going to destroy this engine in a year? I haven't seen much evidence of this actually happening. It seems the most common big problem is the liners wearing on the head gaskets.