Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

That's just its "head" though. I mean maybe perspective is just messing with me, but it looks like they're the size of a city. 5000 meters would makes sense on this scale, but then it's much harder to explain how a bunch of guys with machine guns can just shoot it down.
Or why they are always flying low and slow enough that they can even be hit by machine gun fire. Personally I'd have them cruising above the atmosphere and bombard the poo poo out of the enemy. Maybe not to that extreme, but you get the idea. Let's see you blink your way in/out of THAT you obnoxious pests! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Bucephalus is explicitly stated to be 560 meters long and 82.4 meters wide with a crew compliment of 8,239 as the largest Battlecruiser built, however at least one source says that Battlecruisers can go up to 2 leagues in length (which would be like 9 kilometers).

It could be perspective loving with things, it could be Metzen can't make up his goddamn mind how big Battlecruisers are supposed to be :shrug:

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Neruz posted:

The Bucephalus is explicitly stated to be 560 meters long and 82.4 meters wide with a crew compliment of 8,239 as the largest Battlecruiser built, however at least one source says that Battlecruisers can go up to 2 leagues in length (which would be like 9 kilometers).

It could be perspective loving with things, it could be Metzen can't make up his goddamn mind how big Battlecruisers are supposed to be :shrug:

Gee which is more likely.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Apparently Super Battlecruisers are mentioned at some points so perhaps those are what the 2 league long ones are.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Poil posted:

Or why they are always flying low and slow enough that they can even be hit by machine gun fire. Personally I'd have them cruising above the atmosphere and bombard the poo poo out of the enemy. Maybe not to that extreme, but you get the idea. Let's see you blink your way in/out of THAT you obnoxious pests! :argh:

One thing you can give to 40k and Relic's treatment of it is that they do have a sense of scale AND firepower. That cutscene (and the mission) both underline just how large, involved and destructive an orbital bombardment over an entire planet is... and the absolutely mind-numbing firepower available to the Imperium of Man, sometimes in a single warhead.

In my mind, that's how you do Orbital Bombardment/include Capital Ships in a RTS. You don't defeat Capital Ships when they get involved, you try to survive them while they alter the entire battlefield to their liking.

Having Battlecruisers be so easily destroyed in SCI and II is good for gameplay, true. But it doesn't help Starcraft's lack of scale and story/gameplay segregation.

Neruz posted:

Apparently Super Battlecruisers are mentioned at some points so perhaps those are what the 2 league long ones are.

HOTS has new ones based off the Jackson's Folly (which we'll see sooner or later), which are pretty huge even in-game. Gorgon-class, I believe.

I also believe that the Bucephalus was a custom job and thus not really affiliated with either the Minotaur or Behemoth class Battlecruisers.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

No no no, this is how you bombard a planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dO01h3d2xs

And then you rebuild it to your own specifications.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
lovely toxic, tiny, very poor, low-g planets. Blow them up and get nice, normal planets out of it, they just need a bit of terraforming.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

GunnerJ posted:

I dunno, it looks like they may be a bit bigger than that, or maybe the HotS opening is not to scale...?

There's 3 different sizes of battle cruisers that I'm aware of, plus custom ones like the hyperion, norad II, Loki and what not, so in practice they're just as big as the scene needs them to be

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

There's 3 different sizes of battle cruisers that I'm aware of, plus custom ones like the hyperion, norad II, Loki and what not, so in practice they're just as big as the scene needs them to be

So, like Star Destroyers?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Delta Green posted:

One thing you can give to 40k and Relic's treatment of it is that they do have a sense of scale AND firepower. That cutscene (and the mission) both underline just how large, involved and destructive an orbital bombardment over an entire planet is... and the absolutely mind-numbing firepower available to the Imperium of Man, sometimes in a single warhead.

In my mind, that's how you do Orbital Bombardment/include Capital Ships in a RTS. You don't defeat Capital Ships when they get involved, you try to survive them while they alter the entire battlefield to their liking.

Having Battlecruisers be so easily destroyed in SCI and II is good for gameplay, true. But it doesn't help Starcraft's lack of scale and story/gameplay segregation.

HOTS has new ones based off the Jackson's Folly (which we'll see sooner or later), which are pretty huge even in-game. Gorgon-class, I believe.

I also believe that the Bucephalus was a custom job and thus not really affiliated with either the Minotaur or Behemoth class Battlecruisers.

Ditto carriers really. They're not even armed!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Delta Green posted:

Yeah it was a custom job, normal Minotaur or Behemoth class Battlecruisers are smaller. Bucephalus was explicitly created to be biggerer and betterer than the Hyperion that it was built to replace.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
SC staff might not have a sense of scale and boom, but their fans do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOxfIapsrJs

Originally, all carriers were supposed to have a beam attack, but it was removed for balance reasons.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Protoss Planet Cracker beams are another thing Metzen can't make up his mind on; originally Carriers mounted the Planet Cracker which is used to destroy worlds deemed too far gone to Zerg infestation. Then it was later changed to being a Supercarrier thing, then it was stated that the Planet Cracker was mounted on Motherships and then Metzen got all confused and decided that Carriers did mount the beams after all along with Motherships and Supercarriers but the beam attack wasn't going to appear in the game for balance reasons.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just write the in-game scale off as a game play feature because that's what it loving is.

Why are all materials in the game produced with the same bigass blue crystals and green gas that comes out of geysers that are on every planet in the Koprulu Sector? Who gives a poo poo because it's a game play mechanic.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Boy, are you going to be relieved when you realize that nobody is for-real upset about video game spaceship scales!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
No, no it's me, I'm the one person for-real upset about space ship scales. How can those space ships not be the same size! They look the same! Argh! :argh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Bravo posted:

No, no it's me, I'm the one person for-real upset about space ship scales. How can those space ships not be the same size! They look the same! Argh! :argh:

You're going to love a zerg critter that pops up later. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Star Man posted:

Why are all materials in the game produced with the same bigass blue crystals and green gas that comes out of geysers that are on every planet in the Koprulu Sector? Who gives a poo poo because it's a game play mechanic.

There is an explanation for that :eng101:

Minerals are a naturally forming crystal in the Korprulu Sector: Doran Routhe, a famous United Powers League scientist who you may remember as the jackoff responsible for sending his pet genetically engineered Terrans on a space trip, theorized that planetary systems beyond Sol could contain new resources that simply had never existed on Earth. As it turned out Doran was at least partially right; the Korprulu Sector is home to rich deposits of crystal-minerals, often found in clusters and sometimes as veins of ore in mountains and asteroids. These minerals can be easily melted down by both Terran and Protoss to create metal alloys, armor and ship hulls. The Zerg also ingest the minerals to harden their carapaces and develop strong teeth. In some parts of the Korprulu Sector the mineral deposits actually grow slowly over time as they are slowly extruded from massive veins deep inside planets.

Vespene Gas is another naturally forming resource in the Korprulu Sector not otherwise seen outside of it; the pure form of the gas is green but with contaminants it can change colour quite significantly to silver, blue, purple or more. Vespene Gas has an unusually high energy density; several times higher than oil and thus is used by all three races as a fuel source as Vespene is widely available and relatively easy to harvest. Pure Vespene is typically valued more than impure (though there are exceptions) and one of the most common impurities in Vespene is Hydrogen Sulfide which makes the Vespene appear yellow and also makes it highly unstable and prone to exploding with no warning.

Vespene Gas, like Minerals appears to be either stored or created deep within planetary formations before being pushed up and out of the planetary crust to escape. This is why you typically find much richer deposits of both on worlds with lots of seismic activity as the more volcanically active a world is the more Minerals and Vespene will get pushed to the surface.

So there you go; Minerals and Vespene Gas are naturally forming resources in the Korprulu Sector and possibly other places as well that are not found in the Sol system for unknown reasons. Given that everywhere you visit in the SC games is a part of what was once Xel'Naga space it is likely that the Xel'Naga are the ones ultimately responsible for Minerals and Vespene Gas, probably seeding worlds to produce those resources for their own use. As both Minerals and Vespene are more energy efficient than 'normal' resources nobody in the Korprulu Sector uses anything else; this abundance of resources is the primary reason why the Terrans have able to be so successful despite the fact that they are cut off from Earth and external resupply.

:goonsay:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 18, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I picked up HotS recently, so I'm reinstalling Starcraft II, so I'll be able to participate with the thread.

Only 14 GB of patching to go. :shepicide:

Thanks, Blizzard, for the decorative coaster DVD's, and the really cool pamphlet manual for Heart of the Swarm.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 18, 2015

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I picked up HotS recently, so I'm reinstalling Starcraft II, so I'll be able to participate with the thread.

Thanks, Blizzard, for the decorative coaster DVD's, and the really cool pamphlet manual for Heart of the Swarm.

On the off chance of sounding like a broken record, if anyone is interested in getting their feet wet with the multiplayer, let me know.

I'll share with you the ~zeez secret strategies~.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Synastren posted:

I'll share with you the ~zeez secret strategies~.

If everything else fails, click really fast.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Is the secret strategy to prism/turret rush the enemy base?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They really want you to buy things over battle.net now, which is what you should do unless you've a hankering for physical collector's editions.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah Blizzard are big fans of their online marketplaces. It helps that Battle.net is fairly well designed and easy to use too.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Slaan posted:

Is the secret strategy to prism/turret rush the enemy base?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-kgj5uatbo

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Update:siren:

It's time for the final protoss mission. Could this prophecy turn out to be anything other than a dumb plot device?

Source Video (No Commentary)

Raldan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 18, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Raldan posted:

Could this prophecy turn out to be anything other than a dumb plot device?

Just by asking this question you demonstrate more faith in Metzen than is justified.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 18, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Does the video freeze at 2:20 for anyone else? I've refreshed a few times and still freezes then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spudd posted:

Does the video freeze at 2:20 for anyone else? I've refreshed a few times and still freezes then.

It's not the only point in the video for me.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neruz posted:

Just by asking this question you demonstrate more faith in Metzen than is justified.

Maybe it was a rhetorical question.

Spudd posted:

Yes. darn it. I was going to nap with this on. Now I gotta find something else and wait till tomorrow to watch the Zerg Win (lose) at Starcraft.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 18, 2015

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Spudd posted:

yeah, it happens a couple times throughout the video

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The two kinds of Hybrids are indeed Zerg-Protoss (Reavers) and Protoss-Zerg (Destroyers). Originally Destroyers were the only kind of Hybrid, Samwise pitched the Reaver design in concept art and labeled it 'high breed' but the design was initially discarded. Eventually however the concept was picked up again and became the Hybrid Reaver; a close range melee type Hybrid to mix with the ranged caster type Destroyers.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

gatesealer posted:

yeah, it happens a couple times throughout the video

Really quite annoying, I kept thinking the player was about to crash.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Spudd posted:

Yeah, there are a few points where the video freezes but the audio's still going.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Same as the above posters the vid keeps freezing while the audio keeps going.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Having that issue as well. Pity, because this is a really fun mission to play and to watch. Hope you guys can fix the problem!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Freezing at (and counting as it goes), though the Audio keeps going.

2:18
8:47
12:47
14:52
16:55
18:34
20:45
22:53
26:38
28:58
31:06
35:49

Some freezes are short, others are pretty long (the last one is over a minute)

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 18, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The video isn't freezing, the recording is hosed.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Alright, video is indeed hosed, I'm reencoding it, hopefully can get it unfucked by tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

Raldan posted:

:siren:Update:siren:

It's time for the final protoss mission. Could this prophecy turn out to be anything other than a dumb plot device?

Source Video (No Commentary)

Alright, videos are reuploaded and should be fine.

This is why you don't half-rear end your final check. Nothing's gone wrong before, what are the odds it'll happen this time? Surprisingly high it seems.

Sorry about that guys.

• Locked thread