Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

SuicideSnowman posted:

I feel like neither loot nor zombies are respawning. Earlier today I played shortly after the server came up and there was loot everywhere and zombies everywhere. Last couple hours I haven't found poo poo. I ran around with a stick for about an hour searching everything and couldn't even find even the smallest of items like shirts or caps. Didn't see any zombies in that time either.

You're right, haven't seen any zombies either, I just assumed that the hoards of players kept the population down... but I had crates instantly respawn after i smashed them and took the plank. So there is some kind of (bugged) respawn mechanic... at least for crates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Feindfeuer posted:

You're right, haven't seen any zombies either, I just assumed that the hoards of players kept the population down... but I had crates instantly respawn after i smashed them and took the plank. So there is some kind of (bugged) respawn mechanic... at least for crates.

Crates seem to respawn but the loot that can sometimes spawn in them doesn't seem to. Like I said, earlier today when I played after the servers came up I found so much stuff in crates and in random houses that I left a bunch of it. Knives, axes, shirts, etc. Even breaking crates I'd find cans of food and sometimes cloth. Now I can't find anything at all. Perhaps it's due to more players but still. Seems like nobody I'm running into has anything either.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Reason posted:

My point being that if you ignore all the issues with something of course it looks good. Better to be realistic and describe the product as it exists currently because right now thats what people are interested in.

I did in my original post that you originally tried to snark on so I'll repeat it, its a solid game in an alpha stage that is experiencing alpha problems. The dev team has proven already they are listening, processing and responding to issues identified by the community so I feel good about the route this game is taking. Especially compared to the response speed and glacial development pace similar early access survival games are experiencing.

SuicideSnowman posted:

Crates seem to respawn but the loot that can sometimes spawn in them doesn't seem to. Like I said, earlier today when I played after the servers came up I found so much stuff in crates and in random houses that I left a bunch of it. Knives, axes, shirts, etc. Even breaking crates I'd find cans of food and sometimes cloth. Now I can't find anything at all. Perhaps it's due to more players but still. Seems like nobody I'm running into has anything either.

You are right, the tweak they did to the loot tables in last night patch apparently broke loot re-spawns. Supposedly its being addressed https://twitter.com/H1Z1game/status/556545824210300928

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 17, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like that post because SOE has routinely proven otherwise. It goes in a cycle and has been repeated many times before.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Why does every early access survival game manage to break loot respawns at least once? That seems like the most important part of the game to make sure is working!

I assume it won't be a multi-month issue like with DayZ though. Hopefully.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Stuff like this is just part of this genre I guess.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Third World Reggin posted:

I like that post because SOE has routinely proven otherwise. It goes in a cycle and has been repeated many times before.

SOEs poo poo is well documented but PS2 is an example of them at least trying to engage with the community in a positive way with the roadmaps, issue tracker and team engagement outside of regular message boards and they are extending those initiatives here. I'm not saying this will win any GOTY or be ready for retail anytime soon, but the underlying game, interactivity and what it can bring versus other survival/zombie games, I am least hopeful. Maybe its a fool's hope, but Im not instantly cynical like I normally am with games and their makers.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They did the same poo poo with EQ2 and other SOE games.

They try to engage. Give false hope. Then do what ever they want. And repeat.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Frog Act posted:

Very realistic, I'll give them that.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Played a bit today on a slightly less busy server, I was still coming across people all the time, but it was a bit more spread out. There are pretty much three things they need for the game to be really fun:

- A non-busted loot system
- WAY more zombies
- A better map

I would expect that those three things will get fixed in time, so unless some major new bullshit thing is added, it'll be fine.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

When I was playing EQ2 (back in like 07/08 I think?) they werent bad but I havent played in long time. I'm interested, what are people afraid they will turn this into? They are clearly not going to just let it rot, but are people mainly worried about unfulfilled promises?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Apparently they're working on a patch for later tonight that'll adjust the loot some and also reduce the rate at which hunger/thirst drains.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

H1Z1: Yet another zombie survival game
H1Z1: The dev says it is p2w but ymmv
H1Z1: H1Z1 > DayZ? Smedley says no

H1Z1: Blackberry Picking Simulator 2015

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Frog Act posted:

I see some features from Planetside 2 made the jump over to H1Z1.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
how does the heading stat work in the location description?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

When I was playing EQ2 (back in like 07/08 I think?) they werent bad but I havent played in long time. I'm interested, what are people afraid they will turn this into? They are clearly not going to just let it rot, but are people mainly worried about unfulfilled promises?

For the last few pages or so people are worried smedly will say something and not deliver or do the opposite. Which is kinda his gig. Someone even put it as the smedley effect where he does this then hides out for a long time.

Well the people being upset about the p2w gun / air drop thing is funny, the image that reddit produced showed SOE.jpg of saying one thing and doing another.

EDIT: You will see more things like this as time goes on

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 17, 2015

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

always be closing posted:

how does the heading stat work in the location description?

you type /loc and look up the xyz of where you are. for some reason, in this game y is height. try to make your x and z closer to the x and z of where you want to be. congrats, you are navigating.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Goon camp has been under attack by pubbies this evening, they came with guns and axes, but were unprepared to just get run over by police cars repeatedly.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Well the people being upset about the p2w gun / air drop thing is funny, the image that reddit produced showed SOE.jpg of saying one thing and doing another.

seems like every game with a cash shop gets accused of p2w no matter how true or untrue it is. everyone needs an excuse for their losses.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

SOEs poo poo is well documented but PS2 is an example of them at least trying to engage with the community in a positive way with the roadmaps, issue tracker and team engagement outside of regular message boards and they are extending those initiatives here. I'm not saying this will win any GOTY or be ready for retail anytime soon, but the underlying game, interactivity and what it can bring versus other survival/zombie games, I am least hopeful. Maybe its a fool's hope, but Im not instantly cynical like I normally am with games and their makers.

SoE is like an abusive spouse.

"THIS game/patch, it'll be different. I PROMISE. I've learned from what I did wrong last time, I'll listen to you and everything will be perfect."

Then you get kicked down the stairs, again.

If you like the game and know that soe is going to lie to you, not put enough resources into the game, always have a lovely cash shop and a dumb marketing dept, then cool. But it's never going to live up to your hopes or their hype.

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011
does this game have skateboards?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

jetz0r posted:

SoE is like an abusive spouse.

"THIS game/patch, it'll be different. I PROMISE. I've learned from what I did wrong last time, I'll listen to you and everything will be perfect."

Then you get kicked down the stairs, again.

If you like the game and know that soe is going to lie to you, not put enough resources into the game, always have a lovely cash shop and a dumb marketing dept, then cool. But it's never going to live up to your hopes or their hype.

all SOE games are this. DO NOT BUY unless you understand this, tia

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.
Played for an hour, didn't see any zombies, ate some blackberries, took an arrow in the head courtesy of "gaysatan".

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

CupBoy posted:

Played for an hour, didn't see any zombies, ate some blackberries, took an arrow in the head courtesy of "gaysatan".

gaysatan here. who are you ingame?

e: i usually run people over with a police car..

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CupBoy posted:

That's a goon lol

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Akumos posted:

You guys are going to love me for this one. The most annoying thing about this game, by far, is having to manually type /loc constantly to find where you're at to meet up with people. Well, instead of whining about it, I've made a program that will automatically type /loc into chat for you! Well, it's actually just a AHK script I converted to .exe so you don't have to gently caress with it. You run it, and you use your side mouse buttons(you have them in 2015, right?) to active it. Depending on the mouse it could be either of the big ones, but probably the lower one. By activate it, I mean you push the mouse button to get your location, it's not just going to keep spamming it. If you want a customized keybind for it, let me know what key you need and I'll make you one.. maybe. It's not bannable, it's just sending key strokes.

https://mega.co.nz/#!6EojBaaZ!AMhquMKkrlcIoTWFgpwWClRnY38-tvlLgA-j4Pe3usY

This stupid utility is going to save me a lot of headache in this game, and will probably save you from being sniped or smacked by a zombie/wild animal at some point while typing like a retard. You don't want to be a big retard we make fun of for dying while typing, right?

I made a 2nd one using the top mouse side button since some asked for it.

https://mega.co.nz/#!rBwCjSpY!0NRehQxrjCqgaKGyGFkj63hrvs3kT9vxj1Cy9V7p5bE

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.

automaticswim posted:

gaysatan here. who are you ingame?

e: i usually run people over with a police car..

Haha, had a feeling it was a goon. I'm Scallyswag. I think I stumbled upon your camp, I tried to look all harmless but noooo...

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.

CupBoy posted:

Hey guys, here's a big rear end 8192x8192 map of the terrain: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9UnPHpRxh6ENTNOeV96THBHcTQ/view?usp=sharing

RoyAwesome awesomed up the map with place names and coordinate grid and poo poo: http://puu.sh/eF31n/2f085694c2.png (warning huge png)

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

CupBoy posted:

RoyAwesome awesomed up the map with place names and coordinate grid and poo poo: http://puu.sh/eF31n/2f085694c2.png (warning huge png)

Will update the OP with this shortly.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So they just applied the new patch, right? Are the loot issues fixed some like they were saying? Also all the top streamers for this are horrible assholes who just thoughtlessly run at everyone and try to kill them, I hate that.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

CupBoy posted:

Haha, had a feeling it was a goon. I'm Scallyswag. I think I stumbled upon your camp, I tried to look all harmless but noooo...

Yah, get in mumble and we'll get you on your feet haha. Sorry about that.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
If you see pigglywiggly make sure you kill them on sight. I think I killed him 3 or 4 times today.
They have some sort of crew that has been attacking goonfort all day.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Kimsemus posted:

Goon camp has been under attack by pubbies this evening, they came with guns and axes, but were unprepared to just get run over by police cars repeatedly.

So how many guns and axes do we have now?

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

For the last few pages or so people are worried smedly will say something and not deliver or do the opposite. Which is kinda his gig. Someone even put it as the smedley effect where he does this then hides out for a long time.

EDIT: You will see more things like this as time goes on

Oh yeah that poo poo is annoying, they do deserve some credit for already addressing those concerns though. It may be the only time they actually do it like that, but it shocked me they flipped and fixed it so quickly.

Oh well, I spent my 20 bucks and havent regretted yet. Keep your eyes peeled in here down the line for when I come back weeping as a broken man.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Any good examples of this in Planetside 2? I stopped following that game's development about two months after release and just log in and play about once a month now. Looks like it's been doing fairly well.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Zombies are dropping satchels now. I found I had to punch them till the bodies disappeared, then I could loot the bag. Found good and useful things in a few of them.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

always be closing posted:

Zombies are dropping satchels now. I found I had to punch them till the bodies disappeared, then I could loot the bag. Found good and useful things in a few of them.

They've always dropped them, it's just rare when they drop.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's good to know, the only things aside from various forms of wood that I have actually found are empty pistols, cloth bits, water bottles, and a hammer.

I found those things laying on countertops and such and I have yet to actually loot anything from a container. Have I just been unlucky? Have you all been finding stuff inside containers? I find wood planks and the occasional cloth in the breakable boxes, but there never seems to be anything in cabinets, refrigerators, cars, or anything else.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I've never found much in interior containers. Outside dumpsters have been good. Noticing a lot more Zombie drops since the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
kimsemus scouted out a for real base somewhere near Pleasant Valley and Blazing Zero and I came to help

We eventually creep through the woods and bushes remaining out of sight of the base and meet up with Kimsemus as it begins to rain. We creep up on the base with Kimsemus and I below the base. Blazing Zero is noticed by pure luck by the guy guarding the base and begins firing at him. Kimsemus and I come up behind him, gently caress him up, and we all loot him and all his chests after breaking down his door. He had first aid kits, car parts, all sorts of good poo poo.

Then we met up with about 20 other goons in pitch black, found some more shacks, goons swarmed them and destroyed the doors and we stole even more poo poo

game owns

its bad and it has bad mechanics and it also unironically owns

• Locked thread