Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is surprisingly brilliant, Shazam kills it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

greatn posted:

I want a team up movie of all the leaders - Cyclops, Leonardo, Flagg, Jason the red power ranger after Tommy shows up, that no one cares about.

Everyone always bustin on Leo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I want a team up movie of all the leaders - Cyclops, Leonardo, Flagg, Jason the red power ranger after Tommy shows up, that no one cares about.

Straight to VHS

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Everyone always bustin on Leo

I feel like I've said this somewhere else, but it's actually ok that Leonardo isn't as cool as Raphael, because it makes the team dynamic work better. It's fine if you want to see your favorite character have his moments, but hoping he outshines the designated cool guy that you can't stand to see be more popular just fucks with the formula. A team of only Raphaels or Wolverines would make for a lovely movie.

That's why modern Cyclops sucks even more than classic Cyclops.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Good writing gives leader characters their moments just like everyone else, just you know, in leadership situations like dispensing sage wisdom or bringing everyone together in the crunch to outmaneuver the big bad they can't take down individually.

Lurdiak posted:

That's why modern Cyclops sucks even more than classic Cyclops.

Exactly, in the movies he does gently caress-all to lead and in the comics he's Nerdverine.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dacap posted:

Latino Review

Yeah I call bullshit.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's just the same old click bait nonsense. Also Sony came out and officially denied the Spider-Man in Infinity War nonsense so count that as another Latino Review making poo poo up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
How is Raph cool? He's a moody, sullen arsehole, Mikey and Donny are way cooler.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

How is Raph cool? He's a moody, sullen arsehole, Mikey and Donny are way cooler.

He's cool but crude, it's right there in the loving song man

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Hakkesshu posted:

He's cool but crude, it's right there in the loving song man

Give me a break.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Magneto Rex posted:

Give me a break.

Michelangelo is a party dude.

I'd say he was supposed to be the coolest, and Ralp was supposed to be the poo poo disturber. Though I'm not sure where on the "Kids only like characters with attitude" timescale TMNT falls.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Michelangelo is a party dude.

I'd say he was supposed to be the coolest, and Ralp was supposed to be the poo poo disturber. Though I'm not sure where on the "Kids only like characters with attitude" timescale TMNT falls.

When the show started Mikey was definitely the most audience-identified character, but by the early 90s things had shifted from lauding the carefree party dude to the gruff sarcastic ronin.

I really like the 2K12 series, I think it does a pretty good job of giving everybody a chance to shine without feeling like a maudlin "everybody's equally special!" love-in. And to bring this back around to topic, so did the original 80s movie.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I think in 2012, from what I've seen, the character everyone likes shifted back to Mikey, mostly due to being the guy who names all the villains, and being even more comic relief than before.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I still think the 2003 series is by far the best TV adaptation, with best adaptation being the first movie.

In the 2003 version Michaelangelo is actually the best fighter but hampered because of his inability to be serious, Leonardo really is quite a good leader and the one who is probably going to end up in the one on one duel with the boss, and Raph is basically Wolverine constantly clashing with him. Donatello is also in the show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

I still think the 2003 series is by far the best TV adaptation, with best adaptation being the first movie.

In the 2003 version Michaelangelo is actually the best fighter but hampered because of his inability to be serious, Leonardo really is quite a good leader and the one who is probably going to end up in the one on one duel with the boss, and Raph is basically Wolverine constantly clashing with him. Donatello is also in the show.

Don was my favourite growing up. :saddowns: He's also why I like characters with bos and quarterstaffs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't get me wrong, he's awesome, there's just nothing notably different about him in that show compared to the other adaptations.

But let's be honest Donatello is just everyone's favorite because of the Konami game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Leonardo was my favorite cause blue is my favorite color :geno:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Though I'm not sure where on the "Kids only like characters with attitude" timescale TMNT falls.

I think Ralph is the patient zero of this to be honest.
Funny you guys are talking about turtles I was having a wind-up/argument with my mates kid earlier about whether Michelangelo is called Michelangel or Mikey.
Fucken kids today I tell you what....

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I think Ralph is the patient zero of this to be honest.
Funny you guys are talking about turtles I was having a wind-up/argument with my mates kid earlier about whether Michelangelo is called Michelangel or Mikey.
Fucken kids today I tell you what....

In the '80s, we had Hot Rod in the 1986 movie and third season of Transformers and Firestorm in the last season of Super Friends/Super Powers as the young, inexperienced, hotheaded characters who sometimes screwed up, but learned from their mistakes. Interesting that they were both younger than their peers, and both had fire/flame motifs, symbolizing their tempers. I guess the Human Torch from Fantastic Four was their pop culture predecessor, although he was more of a partying goofball like Michelangelo than a troublemaking, authority-challenging loose cannon like Raphael.

1987's G.I. Joe: The Movie gave us Lt. Falcon as the troublemaking loose cannon, as well as the team rookie (even though he strangely outranked most of the older, more serious, more competent Joes). Raphael and Wolverine (who had been the X-Men's loose cannon since at least the late '70s, but came to mainstream prominence in the early '90s cartoon) made more of a cultural impact than Lt. Falcon ever did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

greatn posted:

I watched that whole series recently and it's really painful. Even excluding the stupid gimmicks of the last two seasons(Now they're in the future! Now they fight on the internet!), it completely lacks in humor. The 80s cartoon was often hot garbage with wonky animation but at least it was usually funny. The 4Kids cartoon was mostly super dry and with predictable by the numbers dialogue. The attempts at jokes fell flat almost every time. Sure, it directly adapted a lot of the original comics, but it sucked all the style out of them.

Turtles Forever was great, though. And hey, that's a movie!

The new cartoon is by far the best one we've ever had, even if it messes with the formula a lot more than you'd expect. Also it's really weird that Raphael's old VA is voicing Donny now, but I guess it fits with how Donny is now the sarcastic one and Raph is more the gruff one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The new cartoon looks like complete dogshit though. The character design and animation are so loving bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

greatn posted:

The new cartoon looks like complete dogshit though. The character design and animation are so loving bad.

Whatever you say grampa.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Whatever you say grampa.

There were CGI kids TV shows in the 90s that looked better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

McSpanky posted:

When the show started Mikey was definitely the most audience-identified character, but by the early 90s things had shifted from lauding the carefree party dude to the gruff sarcastic ronin.

I really like the 2K12 series, I think it does a pretty good job of giving everybody a chance to shine without feeling like a maudlin "everybody's equally special!" love-in. And to bring this back around to topic, so did the original 80s movie.

Yea, when it first started, I was like 12 or so, and Mike was by far the favorite of everyone I knew, but I liked Ralph and Don the best. But yea, I think Ninja Turtles was on the cusp of the change from the popular kids character being the surfer party dude to being the wise cracking jerk.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

P.Stew is saying that he won't even be making a token appearance in X-Men Apocalypse. At least, so far, who knows what the future could bring.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

muscles like this? posted:

P.Stew is saying that he won't even be making a token appearance in X-Men Apocalypse. At least, so far, who knows what the future could bring.

I don't see any reason why he or Mckellan should if they're done with the time travel and the movie takes place int the 80s. Neither appeared in First Class, right?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Good. Patrick Stewart was perfectly fine but I want to see absolutely loving nothing from that timeline ever again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

Good. Patrick Stewart was perfectly fine but I want to see absolutely loving nothing from that timeline ever again.

Indeed, the denouement of DOFP tied a nice bow on the old franchise anyway. No need to overstay your welcome when everything's been packed away nice and tidy, ready for a new cast to take over.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

greatn posted:

I felt this way when I first saw the designs and the intro and such, but after watching a couple of episodes I don't mind it at all. There's so much more humour in this series, the stylized designs kind of suit it.

To bring somewhat back to the topic of the thread, it's funny to me that right now Ninja Turtles has the best cartoon they've ever had, one of the best comic runs they've ever had and absolute dogshit in the movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

I don't see any reason why he or Mckellan should if they're done with the time travel and the movie takes place int the 80s. Neither appeared in First Class, right?

Yeah, Jackman's the only one to appear in every movie.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Jackman's the only one to appear in every movie.

Were there any major characters that weren't in DofP? They gave fight scenes to ICEMAN, so they seemed pretty happy to reach for people who weren't exactly stars.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It's going to be weird to have, like, a "new" Wolverine. The dude that Jackman will be playing in Apoc hasn't gone through any of the other movies with us. Know what I mean? It's an odd complaint but it's something that sticks in my mind when thinking about the new film. Shrug.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Were there any major characters that weren't in DofP? They gave fight scenes to ICEMAN, so they seemed pretty happy to reach for people who weren't exactly stars.

All the First Class kids who weren't Beast or Mystique, Nightcrawler (although he was absent from X-Men 3 as well), Angel was pretty much forgotten after X3 as well.

omg chael crash posted:

It's going to be weird to have, like, a "new" Wolverine. The dude that Jackman will be playing in Apoc hasn't gone through any of the other movies with us. Know what I mean? It's an odd complaint but it's something that sticks in my mind when thinking about the new film. Shrug.

It's also weird seeing how physically different Jackman is now compared to the first film. He's WAY more muscular than he was 15 years ago.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

omg chael crash posted:

Maybe I misinterpreted the movie but I thought the Wolverine at the end IS the Wolverine we've been watching this whole time. His consciousness replaced the Wolverine of that timeline.

VVV Ohhh I see what he means

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 19, 2015

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Maybe I misinterpreted the movie but I thought the Wolverine at the end IS the Wolverine we've been watching this whole time. His consciousness replaced the Wolverine of that timeline.

That's right, but the next movie doesn't take place in the present. It'll take place around the 80s so the Wolverine in it will be the one who's body future Wolverine took over in DOFP. This one hasn't experienced any of the events that occurred after the events of DOFP during the 70s, so he is essentially a new character mentally.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dacap posted:

That's right, but the next movie doesn't take place in the present. It'll take place around the 80s so the Wolverine in it will be the one who's body future Wolverine took over in DOFP. This one hasn't experienced any of the events that occurred after the events of DOFP during the 70s, so he is essentially a new character mentally.

But he still has memories of the prior timeline unless they come out and say that him drowning gave him amnesia. When he wakes up in the future he remembers the old timeline which gives him the basis of comparison to be surprised that Jean, Cyclops and the Professor are alive. After DOFP he has all his old experiences plus whatever happens from that point on. So he's essentially the same old character plus.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

After DOFP he's a guy who went to sleep in a mob boss's bed and woke up at the bottom of a lake. The other timeline only comes back to him years later, when wolverine-2's consciousness is suddenly obliterated one morning by wolverine-prime.

edit: which is totally brutal btw

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

But he still has memories of the prior timeline unless they come out and say that him drowning gave him amnesia. When he wakes up in the future he remembers the old timeline which gives him the basis of comparison to be surprised that Jean, Cyclops and the Professor are alive. After DOFP he has all his old experiences plus whatever happens from that point on. So he's essentially the same old character plus.

Remember when Wolverine first saw Striker and he was confused about where he was? That's because Old Wolverine had been in the body until then.

Young Wolverine is not going to have any memories from Old Wolverine.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Codependent Poster posted:

Remember when Wolverine first saw Striker and he was confused about where he was? That's because Old Wolverine had been in the body until then.

Young Wolverine is not going to have any memories from Old Wolverine.

Not saying you're wrong, but then what's the explanation for his consciousness coming back years later? I mean the Stryker encounter does support what you're saying but at the same time why would the memories of old timeline Wolverine continue to exist at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Not saying you're wrong, but then what's the explanation for his consciousness coming back years later? I mean the Stryker encounter does support what you're saying but at the same time why would the memories of old timeline Wolverine continue to exist at all?

They also explained that in DOFP. They said if it works, only Wolverine is going to remember it. Because his consciousness was out of time. When it returned, he replaced the consciousness that was in the old body. So he only remembered what he lived through, which is everything we saw.

• Locked thread