Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Page 100 on January 17th! Thanks Charlie Hebdo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
100 pages already. By comparison, last year's thread didn't reach 100 until Jan. 22.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"If David Cameron won't debate on TV... - Chris Riddell suggests some substitutes for the 'chicken' prime minister"

Sunday Telegraph:

'Don't mention the economy', Labour activists told

Independent on Sunday:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
So I was going to draw something for the 100th page.

I think the thread finally broke me :shepface:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mississippi update!

1 :sigh:

Some of our brave lawmakers want to make the Bible Mississippi's "State Book" instead of trying to do their drat jobs.

A group of students at Brandon High School wanted to create a student-led and organized Gay-Straight Alliance, prompting the Rankin County (which is just east of Jackson) school board to change their policy to try to limit "gay clubs".

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Muir:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/ce3bnW9.jpg :nws:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

100 pages already. By comparison, last year's thread didn't reach 100 until Jan. 22.

tbf that's only 5 days, not really a significant difference.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

This is incoherent even by Muir's standards. Also why do these women who are constantly sunbathing topless have such stark tan lines??? :shepface:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mister Beeg posted:

When you put it that way that just seems like a statistical blip more than some huge posting surge. If you said last year's thread didn't reach page 100 until February 17 I'd be all whoa wow look at all these posts but pssh 5 days.

I mean, the 2013 thread reached page 100 by January 18, last year was just slow.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

It's turning into Iron Pill with tits.

Merry page 100, the thread is a tough slog this year. Here's my crappy souvenir drawing but I also have the scars as always.

It's not even as bad as most of the cartoonists posted here regularly. I'm slipping.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 18, 2015

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Why does he always put the date for the next day on a webcomic? This isn't something that will get published tomorrow somewhere.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Gilganixon posted:

It's turning into Iron Pill with tits.

I'm so glad I wasn't the only person who got Iron Pill vibes.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

It still amazes me that people glorify the wars of the mostly illiterate Europeans against the originators of the numerals we use, algebra, large chunks of astronomy and the preservers of the knowledge of the Ancient World, with the Europeans as the 'Civilized' ones. loving boggles the mind.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"Got civilization? DIY, bitches"

This statement bothers me a lot. Not because it's sexist and stupid (thanks to the internet I've grown numb to that), but because it doesn't make sense grammatically.

It should be "Want civilization? DIY, bitches" because using 'got' implies the bitches already have a civilization and thus don't need any help creating one from a 50 something racist.

Also: knights were assholes. They raped, they pillaged, and I'm really glad they aren't around anymore.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It still amazes me that people glorify the wars of the mostly illiterate Europeans against the originators of the numerals we use, algebra, large chunks of astronomy and the preservers of the knowledge of the Ancient World, with the Europeans as the 'Civilized' ones. loving boggles the mind.

Don't forget medicine!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They only understood the one thing that means anything: Jesus... in a round about way since they couldn't read the bible for the most part.

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Zed is not taking up The White Man's Burden because his strawsister-in-law told him to stop drinking beers and get to it already. The supporting cast agrees with Zed's actions because they are irrationally bad people who are also lazy freeloaders.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Axe-man posted:

They only understood the one thing that means anything: Jesus... in a round about way since they couldn't read the bible for the most part.
I just got done watching Game Change and I wonder, was Palin as clueless as to the contents of the Bible as she was to everything else regarding politics?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Acropolis posted:

Zed is not taking up The White Man's Burden because his strawsister-in-law told him to stop drinking beers and get to it already. The supporting cast agrees with Zed's actions because they are irrationally bad people who are also lazy freeloaders.

On the other hand, it's triple-distilled comedy that NOT ONLY does Chris Muir think that white men are the only civilizing force acting upon humanity, but also that the jobless, beer-swilling, self-centered, ineffectual, antipaterfamilias mooch-man character of Zed is a shining example of such.

It's so very unspeakably funny that I think I can feel parts of my brain coming loose.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just got done watching Game Change and I wonder, was Palin as clueless as to the contents of the Bible as she was to everything else regarding politics?

Very possible.. after all "God helps those who help themselves" is one of the most quoted bible verses. And it's not only not there it's kind of antithetical to the rest of the drat thing.

Edit: Also.. gently caress Muir. DIY Civilization? At the time of the crusades there were individual scholars in Baghdad that had more books than the whole of England, not counting the libraries and universities. Christians were still making GBS threads in the drinking water while Arab cities had sewers and streetlights. And it's not like they had an empire that stretched from the Atlantic to China and India or anything.. it's not like it was one of if not the largest, most advanced civilization to date at the time of the crusades or anything.

Cpt.Americant fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 18, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt.Americant posted:

Very possible.. after all "God helps those who help themselves" is one of the most quoted bible verses. And it's not only not there it's kind of antithetical to the rest of the drat thing.

It's not a bible quote. It does not appear in the bible.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It's not a bible quote. It does not appear in the bible.

Cpt.Americant posted:

hth

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

My bad, I misread that.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Cpt.Americant posted:

It's actually from Aesop's and Lafontaine's fables. And the god who helps those who help themselves in both is Hercules.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's actually from Aesop's and Lafontaine's fables. And the god who helps those who help themselves in both is Hercules.

Which fable is this?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Cpt.Americant posted:

"God helps those who take a big helping for themselves" is one of the most quoted bible verses.

Fixed that to fit the New American Conservative Version.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cpt.Americant posted:

And it's not like they had an empire that stretched from the Atlantic to China and India or anything.. it's not like it was one of if not the largest, most advanced civilization to date at the time of the crusades or anything.

As much as the crusades were a lovely set of wars based on lovely principals that led to lovely results, this isn't really an accurate reading of history. At the time of the first crusade, their hadn't been a united Caliphate from the
Atlantic to the middle east in something like 250 years, and no incarnation of the Arab empire ever bordered China. And while Western Europe had mostly lost the luster is had under the Romans, there was still very much a Roman empire is Greece and Turkey, and Constantinople was easily the rival of Baghdad or Alexandria in wealth and learning.

Of course, any time I try to say anything about history in this thread, someone who knows more than me points out all the ways I'm horribly wrong so who knows.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Which fable is this?

Hercules and the Wagoner; the french version in Lafontaine is Le Chartier Embourbé.

quote:

Of course, any time I try to say anything about history in this thread, someone who knows more than me points out all the ways I'm horribly wrong so who knows.
England was still kind of a shithole, but then again medieval England comes off as an anti-intellectual shithole even compared to the celtic fringe (with the possible exception of Wales, centuries of depredation and destruction did pay off at creating a people worse off than the english), and much of its clerical class fawned over Paris for many reasons, french kings being among the least of them (the norman/angevin kings were more often than not associated with the local backwardness and compared to the actual french rulers).

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 18, 2015

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Does anybody have that Branco comic where he shows his complete inability to draw bongs and level horizons? The one where the guy's smoking the bong backwards and there's a short wall, on one side of which the ground is lower than the other by a large margin.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

MissEchelon posted:

Does anybody have that Branco comic where he shows his complete inability to draw bongs and level horizons? The one where the guy's smoking the bong backwards and there's a short wall, on one side of which the ground is lower than the other by a large margin.

That was the now retired Toby Dials.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

colonel_korn posted:

My bad! All the bad artists kind of blend together. Thanks!

edit: the reason I wanted this is I'm at a family gathering and wanted to show it to my ex-stoner sister

she thinks it's the funniest poo poo ever

Mx. fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 18, 2015

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Wow that teacher seems pretty happy at the possibility of the child being targeted for murder later in life. I'd consider that a pretty harsh punishment for disrespecting authority but I guess that's just Obama's America for you!!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

That's retarded, Gary

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

colonel_korn posted:

He was probably really proud of himself when someone pointed out that he drew the bong-smoking wrong.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lycus posted:

He was probably really proud of himself when someone pointed out that he drew the bong-smoking wrong.

You're right!

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Who's looking forward to the annual Squirrel Appreciation Day celebration from Tinsley?

No one!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I never realized MLK was a middle-aged Jewish guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

As much as the crusades were a lovely set of wars based on lovely principals that led to lovely results, this isn't really an accurate reading of history. At the time of the first crusade, their hadn't been a united Caliphate from the
Atlantic to the middle east in something like 250 years, and no incarnation of the Arab empire ever bordered China. And while Western Europe had mostly lost the luster is had under the Romans, there was still very much a Roman empire is Greece and Turkey, and Constantinople was easily the rival of Baghdad or Alexandria in wealth and learning.

You're right, I was playing fast and loose with my time frame. I was just meaning that an "Arab empire" prior to the crusades was very civilized and very developed and did stretch that far. In 751 Arabs encountered the western edge of the Tang dynasty at the Battle of Talas very near the modern day boarder of China/Kazakhstan, so yes the Arab civilization did reach to China. Granted by the time of the first crusade it had splintered and shrunk, but this idea that they don't have their own "civilization" was bugging me. And Baghdad at it's height (which again, peaked prior to the crusades rather than during them) was a center of learning that not even Constantinople could match. Wealth and luxury perhaps but not learning. Though I also know I'm only an amateur history lover so if I'm wrong I apologize, Muir just was so wrong it made me go on that rant.

• Locked thread