Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rurea posted:

So over the Christmas break while visiting with family I was catching up on Season 3 and my mom watched bits and pieces of episodes and said she wanted to watch from the beginning. She didn't see anything really spoilery except that oliver and felicity are pseudo-in-love and that roy is arsenal now. ANYWAY, I started rewatching the series with her from season 1 and I have found her critique/opinions of the show hilarious. We are just about done with season 1 and here are a few of her thoughts so far:
"How does anybody not realize that it's him under that hood. He's not even wearing a mask!"
"Laurel needs to die"
"Oliver needs to get his poo poo together and make up his mind"
"I want Tommy to become his own man and stop relying on other people." :(
"The mom is a bitch. I hope she gets what's coming to her."
In regards to Felicity: "I just love that girl."
Keep in mind she is a conservative lady in her late 50's who watches maybe 8 movies in a whole year and has never seen any marvel/dc movie or read comics.
Just goes to show that the average show-watcher's opinions basically echo everything said in this thread.

Moira :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

She was a bitch and deserved more than she got.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Sober posted:

This might be the year that Waller starts honing Oliver into something closer to 5-years-later Oliver, but they seem to be cutting it pretty close now.

Don't forget he still needs to go to Russia to learn from Anatoly about being bratva and how to speak Russian (I am really looking forward to this)

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Just rewatched the mid-season finale repeat today. drat, that last fight was so lop-sided. Poor Oliver.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Oroborus posted:

Don't forget he still needs to go to Russia to learn from Anatoly about being bratva and how to speak Russian (I am really looking forward to this)

I hope it is next season. And also every season after that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He'll be dreading that, he struggled big time with Russian.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

AgentHaiTo posted:

Just rewatched the mid-season finale repeat today. drat, that last fight was so lop-sided. Poor Oliver.

IHaveMadeAHugeMistake.jpg :stare:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

WarLocke posted:

IHaveMadeAHugeMistake.jpg :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rocksicles posted:

He'll be dreading that, he struggled big time with Russian.

They can just do it like The Hunt for the Red October - a couple minutes of subtitled Russian and then they switch to English even though they're "really" speaking Russian.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jerusalem posted:

They can just do it like The Hunt for the Red October - a couple minutes of subtitled Russian and then they switch to English even though they're "really" speaking Russian.

Well the good news is that, at least initially, Ollie won't know any Russian so they'll just be talking in English. Hopefully they skip over that "learns Russian" bit instead of having like half a season where Amell spends 10-15 minutes of every episode butchering phrases and making me sad.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

I dont know posted:

This is pretty funny. I'm surprised that someone who has no interest in comic book/superhero media would want to watch this show. Out of curiosity, what interested her about it?

It was Salmon Ladders, wasn't it?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The salmon ladders are there mostly for distraction.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finally caught up to this and Flash. That final battle in Arrow sure was something :stare:.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Katie Cassidy talks about what's in store for Laurel

quote:

IGN: Now that she's Black Canary, do you think we might fully see Birds of Prey?

Cassidy: [Coyly] I don't know...[Laughs]

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some bits about Slade's return

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VDay posted:

Well the good news is that, at least initially, Ollie won't know any Russian so they'll just be talking in English. Hopefully they skip over that "learns Russian" bit instead of having like half a season where Amell spends 10-15 minutes of every episode butchering phrases and making me sad.

Then again, I wouldn't put it past Amell actually trying to learn Russian to play the part better. He's that kind of guy. I don't speak it, so I can't remember how bad you said the mutilation was, and if it could be explained as spoiled rich kid had the most minimally functional grasp of it possible or if it was sloppier than that?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think the issue was with Amell's pronunciation as much as it was with Russian (and possibly Chinese, I forget) characters then commenting on how flawless his accent was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Calling it, they'll have Palmer make some ATOM-tech thing to do the Canary Cry that she can wear on her neck.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't really see that happening because they've planned for Laurel to be Black Canary for three years, and one would assume they've had some notions for the canary cry throughout that period, while Ray Palmer is a quick palette swap of Ted Kord they had to pull at the last minute and to this day the two of them haven't even met yet. And if they're serious about Laurel being the legit bona fide canon Dinah Lance, I think they're just gonna go all out and have the canary cry be a real superpower instead of a tech thing.

Just going by how the current plots are going, I think it'll probably end up having something to do with the League of Assassins. But who knows!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

BrianWilly posted:

I can't really see that happening because they've planned for Laurel to be Black Canary for three years, and one would assume they've had some notions for the canary cry throughout that period, while Ray Palmer is a quick palette swap of Ted Kord they had to pull at the last minute and to this day the two of them haven't even met yet. And if they're serious about Laurel being the legit bona fide canon Dinah Lance, I think they're just gonna go all out and have the canary cry be a real superpower instead of a tech thing.

Just going by how the current plots are going, I think it'll probably end up having something to do with the League of Assassins. But who knows!

Sarah busted out a sonic weapon in her first appearance. Either Ted or Ray could convert it for her, it's not as if which of them does it matters

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I truly hate to say it like this because I really liked Sara, certainly far more than I liked Laurel last season (oh my god so much more), and her death remains one of several poorly-implemented and convoluted plotlines that really brought down the enjoyability of this season...but the fact is that she was never Black Canary. She was never going to be Black Canary. She was always going to be a placeholder at worst and an inspiration for Laurel to reach for at best. The showrunners knew this, we knew this, and they knew that we knew that they knew we knew they knew. Obviously.

So it was definitely cool to see Sara's version of the canary cry at that point of the show, and it was one of the many awesome ways that s2 Arrow said loud and clear "We are the best goddamn superhero show on TV"...but it, too, was always just going to be a placeholder for the real deal.

And when the real deal finally comes it truly needs to be the real deal, or else the fact is that everyone will [continue to] think of Laurel as a replacement Sara, instead of the other way around. And they'll probably be right.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The Canary Cry is a sufficiently low-key metahuman ability to have it fit within the 'arrowverse' (it's a lot closer to mirakuru than the Speed Force) but I'm not sure how they'd get from here to there, even if that is the plan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

The Canary Cry is a sufficiently low-key metahuman ability to have it fit within the 'arrowverse' (it's a lot closer to mirakuru than the Speed Force) but I'm not sure how they'd get from here to there, even if that is the plan.

It's simple, I laid it out the very first time we saw the Canary Cry disc. Laurel will use a similar device at some point, possibly attached to her jacket and it will overload and explode transferring the ability to her vocal chords.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Matt Nable talks Ra's and Oliver

E: spoilere'd

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 17, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Detective"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hey guys, here is a cool article. You don't need to read it though, I put all the spoilers in the link and left it untagged.

This is getting annoyingly prevalent, and it makes reading this thread a minefield.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Lazarus Pits. It's Lazarus Pits all the way down.

Or, alternately, in the flashbacks they talked about some kinda biochemical weapon thingy. Something to do with the Creature Commandos or...something? Give Laurel superhuman bird parts or whatever. I dunno.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When you use the Speed Force near a Lazarus Pit it gives some people superpowers. Problem solved.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It's a League of Assassins sex trick she learns from Malcolm Merlyn after going back to his place because he was still really wired.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Whizbang posted:

It's a League of Assassins sex trick she learns from Malcolm Merlyn after going back to his place because he was still really wired.

BARROWMAN! :argh:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Whizbang posted:

"Ex-Alcoholic regains voice with this one wierd trick.

Assasins hate her!"

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Bruceski posted:

When you use the Speed Force near a Lazarus Pit it gives some people superpowers. Problem solved.

Flash runs real fast by a Lazarus pit, some pit juice splashes into Laurel's mouth.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

We already saw Cyrus Gold get splashed with some green liquid and assumedly power up to Solomon Grundy for his likely future appearance, no reason the same thing couldn't happen to Laurel.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Can't wait for this to start again it feels like it's been a summer long hiatus. I hope it is Katana who saved Oliver since she's been mostly pointless for the season and is due to show up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Klungar posted:

We already saw Cyrus Gold get splashed with some green liquid and assumedly power up to Solomon Grundy for his likely future appearance, no reason the same thing couldn't happen to Laurel.

Yes, now all I can think of is how awesome a zombie monster Laurel sidekick would be.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Phenotype posted:

Yes, now all I can think of is how awesome a zombie monster Laurel sidekick would be.

She's already got the first part of that nailed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Then again, I wouldn't put it past Amell actually trying to learn Russian to play the part better. He's that kind of guy. I don't speak it, so I can't remember how bad you said the mutilation was, and if it could be explained as spoiled rich kid had the most minimally functional grasp of it possible or if it was sloppier than that?

At a talk this summer I went to Amell said that he knows he does foreign languages terribly and would love it if they had someone to train him, but the time and money to get a dialogue coach isn't there for TV.

I assume if they did an entire season in Russia or something they would do it, but for quick lines he says a handful of times a season it's not worth it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Oroborus posted:

Can't wait for this to start again it feels like it's been a summer long hiatus. I hope it is Katana who saved Oliver since she's been mostly pointless for the season and is due to show up.

Judging by the cliffhanger Hong Kong flashback and Maseo being with the League, my bet is that Katana got fridged.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Oroborus posted:

I hope to see some Diggle vigilante action now that Oliver is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Guy looks good in green.

• Locked thread