Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I only play Warhammer Conquest and have been playing Dark Elves. I want to switch things up and play a Imperial Guard army, any idea what the good combos are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So I dont think DFA is a really good card yet. But I am itching to use a bunch of new cards from the past 2 packs so here is some Eldar jank from the janktank:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Eldorath Starbane (Core Set)

Army Unit: (28)
4x Starbane’s Council (Core Set)
3x Piranha Hunter (The Howl of Blackmane)
3x Soaring Falcon (Core Set)
3x Vash’ya Trailblazer (Core Set)
3x Swordwind Farseer (Core Set)
3x Altansar Rangers (Core Set)
3x Silvered Blade Avengers (Core Set)
3x Iyanden Wraithguard (Core Set)
3x Wildrider Squadron (Core Set)

Attachment: (7)
1x Mobility (Core Set)
3x Ion Rifle (Core Set)
3x Promotion (Core Set)

Event: (11)
2x Foresight (Core Set)
3x Calamity (The Howl of Blackmane)
3x Death from Above (The Scourge)
3x Gift of Isha (Core Set)

Support: (4)
1x Alaitoc Shrine (Core Set)
3x Dome of Crystal Seers (The Scourge)

I THINK its ok on command, because calamity should wipe out their economy when its cast, and mobile units + promotion is pretty solid. The main issue is needing lots of cash because none of the units are very cheap, which could be bad. Ill try it out and post here about the results if anyone is interested in hearing about it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm always interested in hearing about something that isn't space marines :v:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Speaking of Death From Above, I'm going through the previews for the next few warhammer packs and I have a question about Vectored Vyper Squad and Death From Above. Vectored Vyper Squad reads "This unit gains Mobile while it is undamaged", is it considered undamaged while in your hand thus allowing it to work with Death From Above?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Heh, well, I do like Ragnar but havent played him very much yet. My main issue with my Eldar so far is playing against marines, Ive had some games toiletbowl pretty badly because I cant kill/rout veteran brother maxos early enough to not let them dump a bunch of extra dudes on the planet or poo poo like that. I had a game yesterday where I tried to doom the HQ including maxos (you cant because hes unique) and then later tried to archons terror him (you cant because hes unique) and just about flipped the table. Then my opponent spent like 15 dumping half his hand onto the 7th planet as combat actions before I even got a chance to make a ranged attack. Then I lost :v:

I think the majority of marines power comes from their ability to bring in stuff as combat actions, usually dirt cheap. Its hard to contend with at times, but I think the calamity/doom type events help a bit to level the playing field on later turns. You really have to ruin their economy early and that can be pretty difficult. I am no veteran player though, so Id love to hear anyones ideas on anti-SM tech or just general play experiences.

I really love this game !

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

Speaking of Death From Above, I'm going through the previews for the next few warhammer packs and I have a question about Vectored Vyper Squad and Death From Above. Vectored Vyper Squad reads "This unit gains Mobile while it is undamaged", is it considered undamaged while in your hand thus allowing it to work with Death From Above?

I doubt it, but I'd love to be wrong! DFA needs a few more good mobile cards to make it awesome.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

S.J. posted:

You're right, it doesn't work with those cards. Because that would be beyond ridiculous. But it will let you deal more than enough damage to kill off the majority of ranged units in the game before they get to attack, which is kind of the entire point we've been making.

Right, but normal Ranged does work with those cards, which is why it's better IMO. A Rokkit Launcha totally lets your Possessed kill an enemy warlord during the ranged step, works with Catachan Outpost, etc. "Super ranged" is better in some situations but worse in others, and the cardpool that Space Marines have is more favorable to normal ranged than the "super ranged" that Fenrisian Wolf provides. Since Rokkit Launcha is a decent but not amazing card at one cost, the overall comparable (and IMO somewhat worse) Fenrisian Wolf seems like it should also cost one, especially since its effect is not something that Space Marines are particularly desperate for at present.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I just don't agree, I suppose. It's not "super ranged" it's "anti ranged", which puts them in a position to take out ranged units before they get to swing and still outlast in the ensuing fight like they are wont to do. The ability to sculpt out ranged units, negate shields, and negate special text that relies on attacks is something that's good right now and will only get more valuable as the card pool opens up.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
You can shield Fenrisian Wolf attacks.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

PaintVagrant posted:

Heh, well, I do like Ragnar but havent played him very much yet. My main issue with my Eldar so far is playing against marines, Ive had some games toiletbowl pretty badly because I cant kill/rout veteran brother maxos early enough to not let them dump a bunch of extra dudes on the planet or poo poo like that. I had a game yesterday where I tried to doom the HQ including maxos (you cant because hes unique) and then later tried to archons terror him (you cant because hes unique) and just about flipped the table. Then my opponent spent like 15 dumping half his hand onto the 7th planet as combat actions before I even got a chance to make a ranged attack. Then I lost :v:

I think the majority of marines power comes from their ability to bring in stuff as combat actions, usually dirt cheap. Its hard to contend with at times, but I think the calamity/doom type events help a bit to level the playing field on later turns. You really have to ruin their economy early and that can be pretty difficult. I am no veteran player though, so Id love to hear anyones ideas on anti-SM tech or just general play experiences.

I really love this game !

You may hate to hear this, but I think Eldar are actually the best deck in the game against Marines at present, since Nullify can defeat a lot of their tricks and you can potentially lock them down by strongly winning command.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nah, I dont hate it, I want it to be true! I can almost guarantee I am losing to marines mostly because of suboptimal command play, so that makes sense.

Besides nullify, what else does Eldar do well against SM?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Warlord commit exhaust is really strong against some of the better SM tricks (Blood Angels Veterans damage reduction especially but also to tap Librarians). They can also ruin your day by completely shutting down your resource income with tons of command (including mobile command) and superiority to cancel your resource gains. And SM need a buffer of resources to get their trickery going (need res to cancel damage, insta-kill units and drop pod assault). And an easy source of high armorbane damage also means you can't leave Cato in play to benefit from the resource gain on kill and potential armorbane 3 tempest blade.

Blackmane might do much better though - his Warlord ability straight up ruins a lot of eldar poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

nyxnyxnyx posted:

You can shield Fenrisian Wolf attacks.

Well, it isn't an attack, but I dunno why I posted you can't shield them.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Does anyone have any numbers for how big Warhammer:Conquest is compared to Netrunner? I wish there was an equivalent for Stimhack.com for Conquest but the player pool is probably too small I think? Or maybe Conquest just attracts a different type of player compared to Netrunner.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm not aware of any, but I honestly don't think Conquest is going to be quite as big as Netrunner.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

S.J. posted:

I'm not aware of any, but I honestly don't think Conquest is going to be quite as big as Netrunner.

I don't know - I think the 40k franchise has more weight behind it than Netrunner. Granted, I've never played or even heard of the old LCG.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Does anyone have any numbers for how big Warhammer:Conquest is compared to Netrunner? I wish there was an equivalent for Stimhack.com for Conquest but the player pool is probably too small I think? Or maybe Conquest just attracts a different type of player compared to Netrunner.

Well from my experience Conquest immediately surpassed Netrunner in player count in my local group. Probably about 20% more conquest than Netrunner right now.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lots of people like 40k and Conquest is probably the second-best 1v1 LCG that FFG has made. Netrunner is the best, but Netrunner is a very strange style of card game whereas Conquest is much more conventional.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

admanb posted:

Lots of people like 40k and Conquest is probably the second-best 1v1 LCG that FFG has made. Netrunner is the best, but Netrunner is a very strange style of card game whereas Conquest is much more conventional.

I think Netrunner being the best is debatable at this point, but I may just be a crank. The wording and fiddliness of it has grown horribly worse over the last cycle. I really hope the playtesting team for Conquest is better than Netrunner. Their job is to not only test balance, but clarity and they've been doing a piss poor job.

Edit: fixed grammar

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 17, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Playing in a conquest store tourney tomorrow, wish me luck! Running Eldar with a dash of Tau:

Warlord:

Army Unit: (27)
3x Bork’an Recruits (The Scourge)
3x Biel-Tan Guardians (Core Set)
3x Altansar Rangers (Core Set)
3x Eldar Survivalist (Core Set)
2x Spiritseer Erathal (Core Set)

Attachment: (6)
1x Mobility (Core Set)
2x Banshee Power Sword (Core Set)
3x Ion Rifle (Core Set)

Event: (16)
2x Foresight (Core Set)
2x Doom (Core Set)
3x Empower (The Howl of Blackmane)
3x Nullify (Core Set)
3x Superiority (Core Set)

Support: (1)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

I think Netrunner being the best is debatable at this point, but I may just be a crank. The wording and fiddliness of it has grown horribly worse over the last cycle. I really hope the playtesting team for Conquest is better than Netrunner. Their job is to not only test balance, but clarity and they've been doing a piss poor job.

Edit: fixed grammar

I wouldn't expect Conquest to be any more clear than Netrunner, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Netrunner is almost certainly bigger than Conquest right now, but it's not clear what the trends look like. For Conquest discussion, the CardGameDB forum is pretty active, and articles get posted there and on Teamsandcrawla.net. I used to play a lot of Netrunner but have switched over to Conquest almost completely because I think it's a better/more interesting game.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Update to this: went 2-3, hated my deck, had a lot of fun and got a lot of good ideas how to improve.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I can't see any reason to take Swordwind Farseers - but then I think most Search effects in Conquest are utter poo poo. The place-on-bottom mechanic stops them from being broken overpowered like they are in Netrunner and keeps the game running fast because you don't have to shuffle twice every player every turn, but it does make them incredibly dangerous for what you get out of it. For example the Farseers you could read as "draw 6 cards, discard 5 cards", which is very often terrible. Except a straight up Discard would be more beneficial since you could use it to prep for Gift of Isha.

Taking those out of the deck would free up an instant 3 army units. Probably for a combination of Rogue Traders and/or Void Pirates for even more Eldar Command domination, but there's a couple of cool Eldar/Tau stuff that might fit that deck.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 18, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I went back the drawing board even harder than that. I dont agree on SWF though, (fishing for doom/gift of aisha is too clutch, especially when you put out a SWF with gift then fish again) but I hate Spiritseer Erathal so he got cut. New hotness: better at command, a little lighter on 3 cost units (I had entire hands of 3 cost units at times in the tourney, it was bad).

Warlord:

Army Unit: (31)
3x Biel-Tan Guardians (Core Set)
3x Vior’la Marksman (Core Set)
3x Bork’an Recruits (The Scourge)
3x Vash’ya Trailblazer (Core Set)
3x Black Guardians (The Scourge)
3x Eldar Survivalist (Core Set)

1x Mobility (Core Set)
3x Ion Rifle (Core Set)
3x Promotion (Core Set)

Event: (11)
2x Foresight (Core Set)
3x Doom (Core Set)
3x Nullify (Core Set)

Support: (1)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Ah there go the Empowers again. Not enough Eldar units so they don't have the impact they'd need or a different reason for dropping them? 2 Shield-cards is a painful cut.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It sounds so good on paper (And 2 shield is super good, no doubts) but in games they just so rarely create as big a swing as you would hope. Its pretty rare that I have more than 3 eldar units in a fight at once, and the wording of the card means that units added after its dropped (gift) dont receive the buff, which is a bummer.

Just so far its been a huge underperformer, outside of 2 shields which is nice. There is almost never an instance where I feel that I should cast it instead of gift, and its 1 more expensive to boot.

I feel I might have too many units in the deck, so its possible I will cut 3 of something to put in some sort of event or something with shields. Considering it now.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I hate to be that guy that critiques decks only to make them more similar to netdecks, but there's really no reason not to be playing the following:

Earth Caste Technician (you have the full suite of Promotion and Wraithguard)

Void Pirate/Rogue Trader (you never have too much command)

Spiritseer (his effect is one of the weakest among his peers, but at 1-of he's pretty useful for his base stats and uniqueness and provides consistency/options for Nullify)

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
For someone finally getting around to playing the Star Wars lcg I've had for a while, is there a general theme to the factions, or the types of decks you would typically see with them?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Zombie #246 posted:

For someone finally getting around to playing the Star Wars lcg I've had for a while, is there a general theme to the factions, or the types of decks you would typically see with them?

The Star Wars LCG thread will probably be more helpful, but just with the core set, here's what I've seen:

Sith: Very board control oriented/Defensive
Imperial Navy: Offensive rush

Jedi: Powerful characters/enhancements, think enchantment/aura decks in Magic
Rebel Alliance: Another offensive rush type build

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
I recently picked up LOTR: LCG. I've enjoyed it so much that the Mirkwood Adventure Packs and Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill are on their way in the mail.

I'm already thinking about my next purchase like some sort of addict. I know my next purchase will be On The Doorstep and Khazad-Dum in order to complete the Hobbit campaign and get a good foundation for a dwarf deck. I'm just wondering if I should pick up another core set first before jumping into those. It would be nice to get triples of most of the core set player cards, but will I still be using a good number of them from here on out when I have 6 APs and 2 Saga expansions available?

I know a second core set is a no-brainer for a lot of players because they want a complete deck. But if I end up ditching the entire core set because the Deluxe/Saga options are better then I'd rather spend money on the expansions I don't have yet. Does anyone use a good number of core set cards even with newer cards available?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I recently picked up LOTR: LCG. I've enjoyed it so much that the Mirkwood Adventure Packs and Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill are on their way in the mail.

I'm already thinking about my next purchase like some sort of addict. I know my next purchase will be On The Doorstep and Khazad-Dum in order to complete the Hobbit campaign and get a good foundation for a dwarf deck. I'm just wondering if I should pick up another core set first before jumping into those. It would be nice to get triples of most of the core set player cards, but will I still be using a good number of them from here on out when I have 6 APs and 2 Saga expansions available?

I know a second core set is a no-brainer for a lot of players because they want a complete deck. But if I end up ditching the entire core set because the Deluxe/Saga options are better then I'd rather spend money on the expansions I don't have yet. Does anyone use a good number of core set cards even with newer cards available?

I've got good mileage out of 1 core set plus the the first wave of boosters. That being said I'm getting a second core before moving on.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Zombie #246 posted:

The "control force, sit back and enjoy" factions:
Jedi: Chillin' and upgrading their megadudes.
Sith: Stalling by means of board control, mainly killing off enemy dudes via events.

The "go for the throat" factions:
Rebel Alliance: spamming lots of little dudes for either rush or combo purposes. Lots of sacrifice/bounce effects here.
Imperial Navy: a rather straightforward "drop a bunch of dudes, upgrade the poo poo out of them" faction. Can either try outrush the light side, or just build up their forces for one, glorious offensive.

The trickster factions:
Smugglers & Spies: basically Criminal from Netrunner: they utilise a bunch of events and tricks to ensure the opponent cannot block them at a time.
Scum & Villainy: disruption & janky combos. They generally want to lock the board down by disruption and then do whatever they please (either control force, because they've abducted all your force-capable units or push a single unopposed heavy-hitter).

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So I have 3 core sets finally and both of the warlord packs. My LGS is starting a league for a couple of weeks and then a tournament.

With what I've experimented with, I want to play either a Chaos/DE deck or DE/Chaos. Can anyone recommend anything good?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

omnibobb posted:

So I have 3 core sets finally and both of the warlord packs. My LGS is starting a league for a couple of weeks and then a tournament.

With what I've experimented with, I want to play either a Chaos/DE deck or DE/Chaos. Can anyone recommend anything good?

I've been ripping it up on OCTGN (currently 27-0) with the following DE/Chaos deck:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Warlord:
1x Packmaster Kith (Core Set)

Army Unit: (31)
4x Kith’s Khymeramasters (Core Set)
3x Baleful Mandrake (Core Set)
3x Chaos Fanatics (Core Set)
2x Hellion Gang (Core Set)
3x Incubus Warrior (Core Set)
3x Klaivex Warleader (The Scourge)
3x Murder of Razorwings (Core Set)
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
3x Splintered Path Acolyte (Core Set)
1x Syren Zythlex (Core Set)
3x Void Pirate (Core Set)

1x Agonizer of Bren (Core Set)
3x Promotion (Core Set)
3x Suffering (Core Set)

Event: (9)
2x Pact of the Haemonculi (Core Set)
3x Archon’s Terror (Core Set)
1x No Mercy (Core Set)
3x Raid (Core Set)

Support: (3)
1x Khymera Den (Core Set)
2x Archon’s Palace (The Howl of Blackmane)

The Chaos cards are primarily there to boost command, while the Dark Eldar are the meat of the deck.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What exactly are Nightmare decks for Lord of the Rings? Are these pre-done deck built packs that can be played out of the box? Hope so because I hate deck building.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Lorini posted:

What exactly are Nightmare decks for Lord of the Rings? Are these pre-done deck built packs that can be played out of the box? Hope so because I hate deck building.

They're hard mode versions of quests that need the normal version to play and do not come with any player cards.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

sirtommygunn posted:

They're hard mode versions of quests that need the normal version to play and do not come with any player cards.

Thanks.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

I can't see any reason to take Swordwind Farseers - but then I think most Search effects in Conquest are utter poo poo. The place-on-bottom mechanic stops them from being broken overpowered like they are in Netrunner and keeps the game running fast because you don't have to shuffle twice every player every turn, but it does make them incredibly dangerous for what you get out of it. For example the Farseers you could read as "draw 6 cards, discard 5 cards", which is very often terrible. Except a straight up Discard would be more beneficial since you could use it to prep for Gift of Isha.

Taking those out of the deck would free up an instant 3 army units. Probably for a combination of Rogue Traders and/or Void Pirates for even more Eldar Command domination, but there's a couple of cool Eldar/Tau stuff that might fit that deck.

Putting cards on the bottom of your deck is not "dangerous" -- the state of your deck is random so it's just as likely that five of those six cards will be stuff you don't want to draw. Putting cards on the bottom does not increase or decrease the value of future draws.

Adding a card to your hand, however, is very powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

There should never be any stuff in your deck you don't want to draw and while you get to put 1 thing in your hand that you might want 5 other things you might also want are gone. Unconditional draw is awesome, search x, take 1 and put all the other stuff you searched away can easily gently caress you. The search stuff can really pay off (when there's one card or one set of cards that will simply win you the game right then), but the higher the ratio of keep to search the worse they can go wrong.

Having a certain amount of a card in your deck and being forced by a search effect to remove 1 or more of them to the bottom of your deck is the definition of decreasing the value of future draws. When that happens you know for a fact you can't draw those cards again (unlike the more common search and shuffle Netrunner uses).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 19, 2015