Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Me at 1, opponent at 19. Untap with Torrent Elemental, Alpine Grizzly, 0/2 mana dork and Yasova Dragonclaw.

Attack, Torrent Elemental taps all his guys. Cast Trumpet Blast. Temur rules, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This deck was pretty sick. I had just one loss going into the final round.....

And my final round opponent refused to draw into top 8 with me. I lost because in the final game I ran out of gas and he stuck his Ugin. As a result, he gained absolutely nothing and I lost out on 14 packs (if everyone split).

gently caress that guy.

I can't REALLY complain because I have that shiny shiny Soulfire Grand Master promo, but gently caress that guy all the same. Everyone else in the top 8 even went over to explain that what he did was technically allowed but highly frowned upon because there's no reason to do what he did as it did not affect the prize he would receive, but he still refused.

Guess I'll just dump that thing over in the trade thread and take out my aggression on a cube draft.

Unless your store has a really weird prize policy, it's a zero-sum thing. He has no obligation to you and since you lost, someone else rightfully got into the top 8 and the prizes. Sucks to just miss out, but it's no one's fault but your own.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Me at 1, opponent at 19. Untap with Torrent Elemental, Alpine Grizzly, 0/2 mana dork and Yasova Dragonclaw.

Attack, Torrent Elemental taps all his guys. Cast Trumpet Blast. Temur rules, guys.

Yes, renowned Sultai card Torrent Elemental is good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Went Jeskai, pulled a very solid pool. Went 4-0 for first place. Got 4 packs in prizes and pulled trash. Life's a roller coaster.

How many people played in your pool that you only got 4 loving packs for going 4-0? Jesus. I went 4-0 and got 12 with around 50~ people.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Opened a lovely pool, made mistakes, didn't have fun. I think I need an extended break from this game.

On the plus side, my store had an ice sculpture of Ugin that ended up getting retweeted by MaRo. So that's neat.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

How many people played in your pool that you only got 4 loving packs for going 4-0? Jesus. I went 4-0 and got 12 with around 50~ people.

Might be flat "pack per win" prize structure. Four rounds of that is pretty much exactly 2 packs / player total, whatever the player number.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Went Jeskai, pulled a very solid pool. Went 4-0 for first place. Got 4 packs in prizes and pulled trash. Life's a roller coaster.

What a Shiity payout. 4-0 gets 23, 3-0-1 gets 13 or 14, and 3-1 gets 7. I went 3-1 with abzan in first, got a mediocre mardu in my second.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Lord Of Texas posted:

Unless your store has a really weird prize policy, it's a zero-sum thing. He has no obligation to you and since you lost, someone else rightfully got into the top 8 and the prizes. Sucks to just miss out, but it's no one's fault but your own.

Prizes are only paid out to top 8. There is literally nothing to be gained by playing that final around when you are in 3rd place and guaranteed to make top 8 regardless of the result (and this had already stretched on for 8 hours, anyone who made top 8 was going to split immediately without exception, so you can't even argue that playing for the seed is relevant...no matter what happened you were walking away with 1/8 of the prize pool, the end).

Sure, he has no obligation to me, but can you see how that being the ONLY reason to play that round out is pretty terrible? "I have no reason to play this round, the only outcomes are nothing changes or I knock you out, so I'm just playing to see if I can ruin your day." If it affected the prize he received or anything of that sort, never draw, but there is no reason to NOT draw aside from trying to prove some point....i.e. being a dick.

You're well within your rights to do that, but I think I'm also pretty justified in considering it a dick move.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Someone else got into the top8 though instead of you though. If anything I'd say making a deal with your opponent to try and rig the top8 would be more of a dick move (and even against the rules in a lot of games/sports).

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Brutal Hordecheif is a guaranteed blowout if it lives to the next turn.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Yes, renowned Sultai card Torrent Elemental is good.

I was just referring to doing something awesome after going Temur.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Someone else got into the top8 though instead of you though. If anything I'd say making a deal with your opponent to try and rig the top8 would be more of a dick move (and even against the rules in a lot of games/sports).

Are you really just not aware that in every single tournament half of the top 8 (at least) is determined by intentional draws? In what way is it a dick move to not play a game you don't have to win to make it in? Do you also take issue with the 6 people who made it into the top 8 by drawing their final round?

Try to enforce that idea at your next tournament. "You cannot draw, you have to play it out!" We could just sit there playing lands and passing the turn until time was called and look at that, 0-0-1 draw!

What a bastard you must be to have played well enough that you don't need to earn another win to still have more points than everyone else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

I was just referring to doing something awesome after going Temur.

I was joking, but that card really is nutty and I am happy I didn't have to face it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think this sealed format was super fun, but I was the guy with 7 playable rares in his deck. :smaug:

I got Soulfire Grand Master as my promo and it did the least work of any of my "bombs". I never got to buyback a spell with it in five rounds and only once ever got to gain life from a Sandblast. If I can see it being really good in the right Jeskai deck, but I didn't have that deck.

I opened a Jeskai box and ended up going Bant because my red was weak and my green was ridiculous: Whisperwood Elemental, Temur War Shaman, foil Sandsteppe Mastodon, and two Temur Sabertooths, who were total all-stars and my favorite card in the set by a mile. I want to first pick those in drafts all winter.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess it's OK if you want to engage in match fixing, but the idea of it being rude not to do it seems ridiculous. Surely the fair (and fun) way to do it is to do your best in every game rather than trying to skew the tournament in favour of your opponent just because you can. Some guy who did better than you got the prize, and if he'd lost it just because someone else refused to play out their game for no reason I think he'd have more of a right to be annoyed.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I guess it's OK if you want to engage in match fixing, but the idea of it being rude not to do it seems ridiculous. Surely the fair (and fun) way to do it is to do your best in every game rather than trying to skew the tournament in favour of your opponent just because you can. Some guy who did better than you got the prize, and if he'd lost it just because someone else refused to play out their game for no reason I think he'd have more of a right to be annoyed.

Yah, exactly this. Literally the only reason that there's no rule prohibiting people from intentional draws is that it's unenforceable. On MtGO, you can't draw, and Wizards actively looks for methods to dis-incentivize drawing in live events, like the current play-draw rule for top 8 at competitive events.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Not goin to lie, drawing to top 8 is cheap, but I am guilty of it on multiple occasions.sometimes I just want a break after 4-5 hours of playing and want to sit there and decompress before top 8 happens.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If I'm in either way but my opponent wants to draw it in, I'll do it if they ask politely, unless a friend of mine is in contention. One time at a PTQ I declined to draw in because a friend of mine would've been knocked out, I lost the round and my friend won his, then from the 8th seed he went on to win the tournament.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

By this same line of logic, that same person should have played harder so that they put themselves in a position where they did not need to win another game to earn their place.

I'm honestly confused by how you look at this. It sucks when you're that guy in 9th place and a bunch of people drew in, but if you had won earlier in the round so that you were in 5th place before that round you could have done the same. They're not refusing to play out their game "for no reason", they DO NOT HAVE TO EARN ANY MORE POINTS TO WIN. Playing out that game would be "for no reason".

I'm also guessing you've never had the pleasure of drawing the final round to go get a beer next door.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

4-0'd the Modern Daily on U-Tron.

Totally better than going to FRF Sealed. :sigh:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I opened a Jeskai box and ended up going Bant because my red was weak and my green was ridiculous: Whisperwood Elemental, Temur War Shaman, foil Sandsteppe Mastodon, and two Temur Sabertooths, who were total all-stars and my favorite card in the set by a mile. I want to first pick those in drafts all winter.

Same here, started Jeskai, went Bant. Sandsteppe Outcast into Temur Sabertooth is just backbreaking to start with, but then I had two of the legendary dragons along with a handful of others and just went full Bant Dragon Control. It was kind of hilarious, one of the guys had two 5/5 Wildcalls out and straight up said, "Well, I have two 5/5s and his board is empty, I'm pretty good right now."

Ojutai into Dromoka into Wardscale into Wardscale into...

It was just great.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

By this same line of logic, that same person should have played harder so that they put themselves in a position where they did not need to win another game to earn their place.

I'm honestly confused by how you look at this. It sucks when you're that guy in 9th place and a bunch of people drew in, but if you had won earlier in the round so that you were in 5th place before that round you could have done the same. They're not refusing to play out their game "for no reason", they DO NOT HAVE TO EARN ANY MORE POINTS TO WIN. Playing out that game would be "for no reason".

I'm also guessing you've never had the pleasure of drawing the final round to go get a beer next door.

I originally thought it was pretty silly people were arguing with you but at this point you're coming off as a huge rear end in a top hat.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Another Manifest question:

Can you Delve to pay the flip cost of a manifested creature? My gut says you can but I am not certain.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like if this was ID to get into top 8 for GP Trials or PTQ than yeah, I can see being salty about the guy not taking the ID.

But this is pre-release, the casual of the casual events. Most people are new to tournaments at an event like that and will just want to play it out!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Alris posted:

Can you Delve to pay the flip cost of a manifested creature? My gut says you can but I am not certain.

I believe the answer is no. Delve is a static ability that only functions while a spell with Delve is on the stack. Flipping a Manifested card has nothing to do with spells on the stack.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

qbert posted:

I believe the answer is no. Delve is a static ability that only functions while a spell with Delve is on the stack. Flipping a Manifested card has nothing to do with spells on the stack.

Yeah, see the delve reminder text "... while casting this spell...". Flipping up isn't casting.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Alris posted:

No. Delve is a thing that you use to pay the casting cost of a spell; when you flip up a manifested creature you have to pay its mana cost, which is typically the starting point for figuring out the casting cost but is a different thing. As an illustration of the difference, the casting cost of Makeshift Mauler is "3U, exile a creature in your graveyard" but because its mana cost is only 3U you wouldn't have to do the exile bit to flip it up from manifest. Similarly, if there was a way to give Delve to spells with kicker, you'd be able to pay for kicker costs with Delve even though that's not part of the mana cost - say, kicked Benalish Lancer for "WW and exiling four cards from my graveyard."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chose Mardu for my prerelease, opened my packs and built a sweet UG deck. Highlights included beating an Ugin that was in play for 4 or 5 turns and beating turn 3 Dragon's Eye Savants->turn 4 Castle Siege->turn 5 Yasova with more support(including an Alesha later).

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
So I got the luckiest day for rares today and I'm pretty sure tomorrow I'm going to get dick for 2HG. First flight, I got Torrent Elemental, Flamewake Phoenix, Master of Pearls, Supplant Form, Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest, Shaman of the Great Hunt and my promo was Sage-Eye Avengers. My Jeskai pool was pretty good. Ran in to an Abzan deck in the final round that blew me out game one and I got mana screwed game two.

Second flight I pulled Silumgar, the Drifting Death, another Torrent Elemental, Wingmate Roc, Atarka, the World Render, two Noxious Dragons and my promo was Ojutai, Soul of Winter and all the mana fixing. Sleeved up five color Dragons.Dec and lost only one game to a Mardu deck that threw an assload of tokens and Trumpet Blasts before I could stabilize. Pretty good day, feels good.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Went abzan today and my box didn't have a seeded pack. I called judge and said I was missing a pack and he laughed cuz he thought I was joking. New pool 5 minutes later was pretty busted.

The bolster x where x is the number of tapped dudes you have is unbelievable. Every game where they did not kill him instantly was easily won. Follow up with good removal and a few on color rares and it was 3-0-1 (4th round I.D. :ohdear:) without dropping a game.

Also top 8s at a prerelease is one of the dumbest things I've heard. Who wants to stick around for that when there's no invite or anything on the line, especially if it's 5 AM or some poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Went 4-1 as Temur, losing my only match against to a guy who got the Manifest factory enchantment out and just overran me. Those were the only games I lost on the back of Yasova, Torrent Elemental, Supplant Form and Crater's Claws. All my rares were on color although I didn't play Arcbond since that's the opposite of what you want to be doing as Temur Big Dudes.

Brian Kibler was at this prerelease and every time I heard him talking he was telling someone how much MTGO sucks. :lol:

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Brian Kibler was at this prerelease and every time I heard him talking he was telling someone how much MTGO sucks. :lol:

I have great respect for Kibler, and it is mostly off the back of the diligence and consistency with which he shits all over MTGO given half an opening.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

I went 4-1 and got 5. There was a fuckload of grumbling in the room about this so I imagine this is a new thing.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Went abzan today and my box didn't have a seeded pack.

My Mardu box was missing 2 fate boosters. Get your poo poo together Wizards.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
A pack a win has always been how my lgs handles prerelease and release nights as far as I know, and it makes sense as these events are supposed to be the most welcoming and casual events. Wizards probably wants more of the newer folks leaving with a pack or two rather than the spikes taking the Lions share.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
AFAIK Wizards provides two packs per player which must go into the prize pool, but how that prize pool is actually distributed is up to the store. Some stores pay out a very flat prize structure (pack-per-win isn't unusual, and the local store here even runs "casual" flights were you get the same number of "prize" boosters at the end not matter what your record is), while others pay out something a little more top-heavy.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My LGS is small and we just got our first 32 player event today mostly due to pack per win payout. The pre-releases before that were more top heavy pay outs. Also yay we can host pre-ptqs!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Just caught up on the thread and all I can say is the salt is strong tonight.

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

The other day I played one of the best games I've ever played. It was against two of my buds, we grew up playing Magic and stopped for a while, then started getting back into it recently. Can't say that we're into the tournament stuff, casual play's always been good. It's weird coming back and seeing poo poo like planeswalkers, they're drat weird. Mythics were a welcome surprise though.

Anyways, on to the game. I made a deck around Emrakul. It's built to pull as many cards as I can, as fast as I can, using Spellbook to keep my hand stacked. It also forces opponents to draw and discard from their library as much as me.

The deal is that I've got Aphetto Alchemist on the field, enchanted with Diplomatic Immunity. Nobody goes for it because hey, my deck isn't stacked with that many creatures, it's mostly artifacts. It's not a threat, and if you take out the artifacts the thing is useless anyways, so why bother? Well, I get Emrakul out onto the field and by this time everyone has maybe twenty cards left in their deck. So Emrakul picks off the dude with the lifegain deck, brings him from 42 to nil in two turns thanks to the alchemist. Then after he's dead I pull Rush of Knowledge and play it so I can end the other guy quickly on the next turn. Spellbook + Rush of Knowledge + Emrakul = My hand now has most of the cards in my deck. Well, it's his turn. Emrakul and the Alchemist are tapped from taking out the other guy. I have no other creatures in play and four cards in my library.

The other dude attacks me with a 1/3 and a 2/2. Not enough to kill me, right? The combination of Farsight Mask and Howling Mine reduces my library to zero when my draw phase comes around. He wins the game.

gently caress that was an amazing game. I'd probably have seen that one coming if I wasn't drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Sealed kind of has that aspect to it. You can be a great player and get hosed by a guy you know isn't that good but has a sweet pool because you had garbage.

• Locked thread