Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, Magical Girls of the End is a masterpiece of high fiction

It is... It certainly is something alright. Reading it gives me the same WTF-level of dissonance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter of Thunder Teaser Takagi - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Vol-002-Ch-015--Riding-Together?id=218764

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gotta love Takagi's troll face. :laffo:

Seriously, she and Nishikata, and Seki and Yokoi, are cementing the "slightly romantic trolling" manga genre in my heart as one of my favorite sub-sub genres.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 17, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jesus loving christ, the comments are all people talking about how much they like middle school girls.

edit: "She's a middle schooler you pedo!! Although I can't say I disagree with you..."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the comments on kissmanga are usually funny for how stupid they are, but yeah if there's a chance to be creepy they'll take it

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In a completely different digression -- it's really funny -- I work at a library, and at one of the branches I work at it's fairly easy to see the screens of the computers that the public uses. One day I was on desk when I saw someone loading Kissmanga on the computer and reading Bleach! In my mind I was like "haha, hey! I use that site too!"

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
The latest Gintama arc which now extends to an even bigger one is probably the best one I've read in shounen. I'm biased though since Gintama has always been in my top 3 shounens (since mid 2006).

When it comes to manga Sorachi is unrivaled at meshing comedy and serious drama stuff in his wrok.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 17, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MrCinos posted:

The latest Gintama arc which now extends to an even bigger one is probably the best one I've read in shounen. I'm biased though since Gintama has always been in my top 3 shounens (since mid 2006).

When it comes to manga Sorachi is unrivaled at meshing comedy and serious drama stuff in his wrok.

I'm interested in reading/watching Gintama after coming across some clip of a couple of the characters from it doing karaoke to a B'z song (Ultra Soul iirc).

edit: here we go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaUPvPEy4DA

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How far along is Takagi raw wise anyways

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ytlaya posted:

Jesus loving christ, the comments are all people talking about how much they like middle school girls.

edit: "She's a middle schooler you pedo!! Although I can't say I disagree with you..."
Do what I did and add these as a custom filter to adblock+:

||disqus.com/embed/comments/?*
kissmanga.com##div[id="float_content"]

Second gets rid of that weird box kissmanga always has in the lower right hand corner.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So now that you get all of CR's manga with a premium account I've been looking through its library and saw Fairy Tail, is that any good? I know pretty much nothing about it other than it's popular apparently, and done by the rave master guy, which is a series I remember watching yet remember nothing about besides the weird rear end mascot character.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's One Piece without the good writing. Has lots of good punching action though, and one of the better female main characters in shonen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So now that you get all of CR's manga with a premium account I've been looking through its library and saw Fairy Tail, is that any good? I know pretty much nothing about it other than it's popular apparently, and done by the rave master guy, which is a series I remember watching yet remember nothing about besides the weird rear end mascot character.

Fairy Tail is an incredibly mediocre, very stereotypical shounen series. It's like someone decided to create a list of elements common to popular shounen series and created something with the explicit intent of checking off every box. If you're a huge fan of shounen battle manga it might be worth a read, but it's very unremarkable.

edit: To give you an idea what I mean by "unremarkable," a while back I remember a bunch of people in the thread commenting that they could only remember one or two of the earlier arcs in the series.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 18, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't mind if the plot/battles are kind of boring if the cast is good, but I assume they're also forgettable.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't mind if the plot/battles are kind of boring if the cast is good, but I assume they're also forgettable.

There are fun members of the cast, but don't expect characterization deeper than "likes to punch people with fire".

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Some characters have their moments. Ezra is as I mentioned one of the better female characters in fighting shonen manga since she's not sidelined. It's not a bad cast by any means, but yeah it tends to stay on the safe side character-wise

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
What makes Fairy Tail distinctive isn't characterization (generic, occasionally derivative of One Piece specifically), plot (a mess at times), or art (blatantly stolen from One Piece), but pacing. Fairy Tail is one of the few shonen manga that doesn't occasionally suffer from the are-they-still-on-Namek problem.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

What makes Fairy Tail distinctive isn't characterization (generic, occasionally derivative of One Piece specifically), plot (a mess at times), or art (blatantly stolen from One Piece), but pacing. Fairy Tail is one of the few shonen manga that doesn't occasionally suffer from the are-they-still-on-Namek problem.

This is true and probably the only thing that makes Fairy Tail anything other than an inferior/less inspired Naruto/Bleach (which obviously isn't saying much to begin with). The fast pace might also be part of why each arc seems so forgettable, though.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

That pacing was actually a large part of why I dropped Fair Tale some years ago. It's the inverse of Bleach where nothing is allowed to build for any set of time and any villain or obstacle is overcome post haste so that you get shuffled along to the next round of mooks.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Metal Meltdown posted:

It's the inverse of Bleach ...

Creating the inverse of Bleach is taking the limit of division as the denominator approaches zero and would create something infinitely fast ...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silver2195 posted:

Eh, that dudes Art has been pretty similar since Groove Adventure Rave. I wouldn't say it was stolen from One Piece. Or at the very least, his style has always been like Oda's.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Erza is pretty cool. I also remember liking Juvia. The manga itself is very paint-by-numbers though. I liked Rave Master better but then I was a kid when I read/watched that and what I remember most is the opening music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJa2kZx5GY

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Rave Master got stuck in power level hell. Eventually, whenever a new villain showed up their designated opponent couldn't touch them until they got a power-up of some kind. It became incredibly repetitive, and it isn't like the story was good enough to make up for bad fights.

Mashima seems to have learned some lessons from that, at least. In FT, power levels are largely non-existent and most of the fights are quite good. Though naturally, the story is still hot garbage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

do you like huge tits because if so fairy tail is for you

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Rave Master got stuck in power level hell. Eventually, whenever a new villain showed up their designated opponent couldn't touch them until they got a power-up of some kind. It became incredibly repetitive, and it isn't like the story was good enough to make up for bad fights.

Mashima seems to have learned some lessons from that, at least. In FT, power levels are largely non-existent and most of the fights are quite good. Though naturally, the story is still hot garbage.

Not really, I recently reread Rave, The only person who really got unexplained powerups was Elie, but her whole character was based around the fact that she was the most powerful person in the world, she just didn't know her power/couldn't access it. You knew going in that Haru had 10 powers. Musica only got a power up when that chick died and he got her silver claimer. Sieg was stupid powerful from the jump, and got one powerup that made him stupid.

Rave didn't really have that many power ups. But Yeah, Rave's main problem was that his pacing is crazy fast so fights which should be built better are rushed, and can be anti-climactic. Fairy Tail looks like Bleach in terms of arc pacing compared to Rave.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

do you like huge tits because if so fairy tail is for you
YET ANOTHER thing they stole from One Piece. UGH

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

do you like huge tits because if so every single manga is for you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno i can think of some manga that we aren't allowed to talk about that don't have huge tits

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The fighting in Fairy Tail is insanely boring.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Dexo posted:

Eh, that dudes Art has been pretty similar since Groove Adventure Rave. I wouldn't say it was stolen from One Piece. Or at the very least, his style has always been like Oda's.

I'm not sure if it's true but I think Mashima worked together with Oda as an assitant on Kenshin. Might just be hearsay though.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The thing with Fairy Tail is that it sees the big emotional payoffs that One Piece did - Arlong Park, Going Merry, and so forth - and goes "yeah, I want that too!"

Except it doesn't have the patience to do 50 or 60 chapters worth of setup so you go straight into everyone crying about how they're such good friends and all that sort of thing, and it just falls incredibly flat. But then it doesn't realize that this is the case so it just does it again and again and again, basically every seven chapters going "hey are you emotionally invested yet? Here's a crying girl! No? OK, I'll be back again soon with more crying girls" like a pushy waiter offering you bread.

Fairy Tail could have been pretty good if it hadn't drenched itself in fanservice and just learned a little patience, but it might be too late now. Still, it's not as bad as some other mangas out there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RIP, then. Thanks for the warnings my friends.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Mashima picked up anything from his tutelage under Oda, it's how to make a lot of interesting looking and varied characters. Fairy Tail is generally low-rent One Piece (well, low-rent compared to Enies Lobby era; now it's about on par I'd say) but the dude draws pretty badass dragons and makes interesting LOOKING characters when it's not all fanservice and new mysterious asspull attacks.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind is a decidedly 1) good and well-written, 2) non-creepy manga that 3) does not have big tit fanservice. See also: Vinland Saga, Parasyte, Balzer's Army.

EDIT: But they're not shonen manga. :negative:

EDIT2: Ok. Hmmmm... How about Hikaru no Go and Kekkaishi?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 18, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yotsuba& and Barakamon are both technically shonen. They are both good and non-creepy.

Anyways, to clear it up since it's a common rumor that gets reiterated everywhere, Mashima and Oda have never worked together on anything. Mashima has never been an assistant for anyone. He just has a very similar style to Oda which may or may not be an imitation. In any case, his first one-shot looks and feels closer to Yankee-kun, which makes sense since the author of that series was his assistant. Whether his art style changed to imitate Oda's or just evolved because they both liked Dragonball is anyone's guess.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

DrSunshine posted:

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind is a decidedly 1) good and well-written, 2) non-creepy manga that 3) does not have big tit fanservice. See also: Vinland Saga, Parasyte, Balzer's Army.

EDIT: But they're not shonen manga. :negative:

EDIT2: Ok. Hmmmm... How about Hikaru no Go and Kekkaishi?

Ruroni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Slam Dunk.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011

Has anyone else read Ushio to Tora? I've thought that it had basically the best and most menacing "monster"-type of final villain among the shounen I've read.

Same goes for the best (rival-esque) bond with an inner demon side to MC even if it's actually not so inner, but nevertheless, still bound to him. Usually dislike the trope but UtT used it well.

Most of the side characters were pretty awesome too:

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 18, 2015

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I was a fan of the anime, never realized there was a manga (which is hella stupid of me!) Gonna have to check this out now, thanks for bringing it up :D

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In this chapter of Takagi-san, Takagi does not fight fair! She's using her feminine wiles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

DrSunshine posted:

In this chapter of Takagi-san, Takagi does not fight fair! She's using her feminine wiles!

Takagi is seriously one of the best mangas I am currently following. It is the perfect mixture of sweetness and comedy and just makes my day whenever a new chapter comes along.