Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Arzachel posted:

I always pick up Crown of Blood and then die in the next level and it's still the best crown.

Yeah, you know what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I didn't say it wasn't fun, I said it's not good for getting high scores, I wouldn't have looped three times with it if I didn't think it was fun :D

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have 100%'d the Binding of Isaac multiple times including that dumbass character that dies in one hit and I've never gotten even halfway through this game someone please help

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I have 100%'d the Binding of Isaac multiple times including that dumbass character that dies in one hit and I've never gotten even halfway through this game someone please help

I would say most of this game is learning enemy behavior and movement, what weapons are good and sustainable, etc. In general you always want to have a safe spot to take cover or retreat to, or at least keep your back to a wall. Weaving through enemy shots is something you only want to do when you absolutely have to.

As far as weapons go you pretty much always want either an energy weapon (laser or lightning specifically), bolt weapon, or melee weapon to deal with IDPD shielders, which are consistently one of the biggest if not THE biggest threats throughout an entire run. Don't even take out a weapon that can bounce once you hear the siren until the shielders are dead. Beyond that particular consideration, rate of fire is generally king, any weapon with "auto" or "gatling" in it's name is probably a good weapon, now they usually have an accuracy penalty on them, but it is well worth it.

Melee weapons can also be a huge asset to have, I'm quite partial to energy melee weapons, but you can get a lot of utility out of a plain old wrench or shovel. Projectile deflection/destruction is almost required against a couple of the bosses, and as mentioned earlier, melee can be your answer to Shielders too.

Beyond that, take a look at my post on mutations, and try every weapon/character at least once.

e: oh and shoot cars on sight, it's worth the ammo.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Beat the final boss for the first time. With a Shovel. All I had going in was that, an empty Laser Sword, and a Machine Gun.
And then there was a second form or something and I died but also won at the same time and I think it counted?
Still. Really intense game.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I like to hold onto my revolver at YV because it's got lots of ammo, is good at shooting trash like rats and worms and can work like a shotgun with mouse2. Does something like the Assault Rifle do more damage per-bullet than a revolver? I generally like to take fewer stronger shots than rely on a fully-automatic weapon and find myself out of ammo sooner than later.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

AndroidHub posted:

I would say crown of blood is good for getting high kill scores, but it just makes every stage way too dangerous to be worthwhile, maybe if it upped the size of the stages too, but as it is you'll spawn into a level and enemies will be literally wall to wall.

Do this with Melting once you have his explosions ultra-mutation, you can just stroll through while mashing right click and watch most of the level gib itself.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Reiley posted:

I like to hold onto my revolver at YV because it's got lots of ammo, is good at shooting trash like rats and worms and can work like a shotgun with mouse2. Does something like the Assault Rifle do more damage per-bullet than a revolver? I generally like to take fewer stronger shots than rely on a fully-automatic weapon and find myself out of ammo sooner than later.

Bullet weapons have tiers, and everything in that tier has the same damage per shot. So yeah, every bullet weapon you'll find before like 4_1 has the same damage per shot, with the single exception of the pop gun/rifle which deals slightly less than a revolver.
You can't hold on to YV's revolver forever though, the frozen city and palace enemies have a lot of health and you want to be able to kill them quickly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Reiley posted:

YV's Golden Revolver is special because it's got a higher rate of fire than the usual one, but it does as much damage per bullet (3) as all other bullet weapons. The assault rifle and other burst fire weapons are useful for YV's special because it fires two of the entire burst instead of you having to click for each bullet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

This has been my experience exactly. The game's rough. I think I'd be doing a lot better if I used the mouse/keyboard instead of a gamepad but it's more comfortable. :shrug:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Managed to get my first good loop today. I'm not so sure what to do on the Sewers boss though. I emptied a Gatling Bazooka and had to switch weapons 3 times to take it down. I suppose loops are easier with Horror and Rebel?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I'm really looking forward to them getting all of the ultra mutations in so they can start changing/re-balancing old ones, some of them are really cool, like Eyes, Melting, Rogue, then a few have one really good one and one really bad one (Rebel comes to mind), but then there's ones like Steroids and Robot which are so ho-hum they don't really even have an effect on the way you play.

Saedar
Nov 4, 2009

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
Got to the throne today as Steroids for the first time. Killed throne.Throne exploded and killed me, Love this game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The first time I made it to the throne, I stood directly in front of it. :smith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Far too many of my attempts are ending because the game made a level where I appear in the middle of 15 enemies with no cover, as well as many exploding objects. Getting past world 3 (and 5 especially) feels too influenced by how much the level generation decides to hate you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I can relatively consistantly reach the ice level with Steroids (usually with the first level skip tbh) but I never survive long when the boss shows up.

Steroids is pretty fun though and his Throne Butt is really good if you have two weapons with a similar fire rate. Your guns almost become self sustaining if you're firing both at the same rime.

Saedar
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah his ultimate mutation is not as game changing as others but I like it fine with the right weapon combo. Gotta do something about fish though, he is my fave character and he just sucks.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Geight posted:

The first time I made it to the throne, I stood directly in front of it. :smith:

You too? I was like "why can't I go up the stairs?" :hellyeah: "oh"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fish's roll does have a use besides the cover thing. With the roll, he's one of only two characters that can escape the pull of the level-end portal by moving fast enough. The other is the character that gets faster movement speed, I forget who it is, coupled with the mutation that increases movement speed.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Saedar posted:

Yeah his ultimate mutation is not as game changing as others but I like it fine with the right weapon combo. Gotta do something about fish though, he is my fave character and he just sucks.

Just to be clear, are you referring to Steroid's Ultra Mutations, which are only available after level cap, or his Throne Butt ability? They are different things!

Saedar
Nov 4, 2009

Oops...yeah the throne but mutation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Steroids' throne butt mutation is extremely useful if you have two of the same kind of weapon. Fire FOREVER :black101:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Every time I get two assault rifles on 'roids the first two levels I always die to something stupid :C

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I am incredibly bad at the daily runs. Performance anxiety I guess. I got portal screwed twice on Level 3 and had Horror appear on 3_3. :negative:

On the plus side, I finally looped and got all to way to Loop 1 Level 5 as Robot, breaking 1000 kills.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do the cops always appear on world 7 even if you never pissed them off before? Just had them come at me even though I never broke a statue or opened a blue chest.

Also I lasted about 4 seconds in because it spawned me in the middle of the open surrounded by 6 of the radiation things that cover the entire screen with bullets.

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
Died at the throne with Rogue on the daily run. Good enough for 26th, but I'm pretty sure no one had to tangle with the fuzz nearly as much as I did.

Fun fact: When playing Rogue, 7_2 spawns 10 cops on you once the map loads!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Do the cops always appear on world 7 even if you never pissed them off before? Just had them come at me even though I never broke a statue or opened a blue chest.

Also I lasted about 4 seconds in because it spawned me in the middle of the open surrounded by 6 of the radiation things that cover the entire screen with bullets.

Yep, and they'll spawn every level in loops

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hey, a bazoo--I have eaten the bazooka.

Robot.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Slowbeef is streaming Nuclear Throne right now if anyone's interested: http://www.twitch.tv/effinslowbeef

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Finally got to the throne as chicken and won...after I'd lost my head and couldn't get a medpack back :negative:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Finally got to the throne as chicken and won...after I'd lost my head and couldn't get a medpack back :negative:

Always get plutonium hunger on chicken due to that :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AndroidHub posted:

I would say most of this game is learning enemy behavior and movement, what weapons are good and sustainable, etc. In general you always want to have a safe spot to take cover or retreat to, or at least keep your back to a wall. Weaving through enemy shots is something you only want to do when you absolutely have to.

As far as weapons go you pretty much always want either an energy weapon (laser or lightning specifically), bolt weapon, or melee weapon to deal with IDPD shielders, which are consistently one of the biggest if not THE biggest threats throughout an entire run. Don't even take out a weapon that can bounce once you hear the siren until the shielders are dead. Beyond that particular consideration, rate of fire is generally king, any weapon with "auto" or "gatling" in it's name is probably a good weapon, now they usually have an accuracy penalty on them, but it is well worth it.

Melee weapons can also be a huge asset to have, I'm quite partial to energy melee weapons, but you can get a lot of utility out of a plain old wrench or shovel. Projectile deflection/destruction is almost required against a couple of the bosses, and as mentioned earlier, melee can be your answer to Shielders too.

Beyond that, take a look at my post on mutations, and try every weapon/character at least once.

e: oh and shoot cars on sight, it's worth the ammo.

I got to the throne for the first time yesterday, thanks for the tips. Sadly I couldn't kill him because I only had a flame cannon (I ate my second weapon in panic because I am dumb and bad).

I wish there was a more powerful version of the shovel, I love it so much.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I beat the throne for the first time today with Steroids using a slugger/Bazooka combo. Looping is hard.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

I got to the throne for the first time yesterday, thanks for the tips. Sadly I couldn't kill him because I only had a flame cannon (I ate my second weapon in panic because I am dumb and bad).

There is!
It's loop only and it uses Rads as ammo.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Does anyone actually play this with a gamepad? I cant see a reason why you would really, but I tend to watch when slowbeef streams and it seems like the gamepad aiming is getting him killed quite a bit.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm having an easier time playing ever since I switched to gamepad myself, honestly. Both when aiming and moving. Mouse and Keyboard seemed like the obvious way to go at first, though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
Gamepad gives me issues with grenade aiming. It's harder to short my shots.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Actually there are some considerations for the throne I haven't talked about in the thread, it's a very different fight from the rest of the bosses in terms of what weapons are best and how you need to play it. The main thing to think about is that it's the most useful place in the game to have a melee weapon, which allows you to destroy the big projectiles before they burst into a spray of smaller ones, thereby making it easier to get the drops from them. Energy melee weapons also make short work of the throne in terms of damage, and let you destroy projectiles at the same time (particularly with laserbrain). You can also substitute melee with a blood launcher, since you can just auto-fire it at the throne and it will destroy the projectiles coming out, but you'll need plutonium hunger if you want to get the drops since they will usually be under the throne.

Explosives are very good against the throne, even if you don't have boiling veins, the best two probably being the auto grenade shotgun and the gatling bazooka, but with these two you need to spread your shots or stagger your shots slower than the actual rate of fire, otherwise they will trail back to and explode in your face.

Other than those weapons you want rate of fire, things like the heavy crossbow, heavy slugger, bazooka, etc require you to stay close enough that the throne doesn't try to advance, but with higher rate of fire weapons the knockback allows you to put some distance between you and the throne. High-tier bullet weapons can make the fight into a cakewalk if you have recycle gland, since it's almost impossible to miss the throne, even with weapons like the double minigun.

A few characters throw out most of the rules as far as what weapons you need, Crystal can just shield to destroy the big projectiles, Horror can just shoot them with rads (careful not to run out though), and Eyes can get just right up close and hold telekinesis on and be almost entirely safe (if you have thronebutt, but why would you be playing Eyes without taking thronebutt).

As far as mutations, the throne is where strong back and plutonium hunger shine their very brightest, you can easily run your ammo dry without it being bolstered by strong back, and plutonium hunger lets you get ammo and health that would otherwise kill you to try and get at.

It's also important to make sure you don't end the fight with no ammo left, because the fight immediately after has many of the same quirks (along with IDPD showing up).

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Something else to consider is the devs know the Throne fight isn't really that interesting in its current incarnation, and I think they've said most of the second half of the game is subject to change right now.

Also I beat Lil Hunter for the first time yesterday! I had a really ballin' run going as Crystal. Picked up a lightning rifle and double flame shotty from Big Dog, which made short work of the labs. Then I died within ten seconds of spawning into 7-1. Que sera sera, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AndroidHub posted:

the gatling bazooka

Welp my new goal is to live long enough to see and use this weapon, thank you.

• Locked thread