Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As would several other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I feel worse for Joseph. After debuting in Part 2 as a hot-blooded clever rear end in a top hat, he spends Part 3 as an old man who basically gets tossed around. He even loses a contest of wits.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Joseph only loses to someone because they are a better cheater than he is.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Joseph also gets a chance to style on some guy in a video game. That's worth some points, I think

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Joseph only loses to someone because they are a better cheater than he is.

so yeah

he lost a battle of wits

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If anyone can outthink Joseph Joestar, I'd like to think some hustler from Vegas would be the one to do it and not some ancient vampire.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

so yeah

he lost a battle of wits
A battle of wits he could have solved by using the Ripple. Between that and Polnareff figuring out the Sun before he did, it's clear Joseph was losing it even before Part 4.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Supersonic Shine posted:

A battle of wits he could have solved by using the Ripple.

Yeah, I'm sure D'Arby wouldn't have noticed the huge rear end electric looking poo poo coming out of Joseph's hands.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Only Ripple users can see others' Ripple.

wait

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, I'm sure D'Arby wouldn't have noticed the huge rear end electric looking poo poo coming out of Joseph's hands.

He'd have to prove joseph is doing it on purpose wouldn't he

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're right, Joseph Joestar does just naturally summon sexual energy.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The dude is loving old and already adventured enough, give him a break (yare yare daze)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

He'd also literally had a micro-stroke induced by Polnareff as well as having his giblets suckled by a monster in India. Also, he had to hang out with Kakyoin. He was not at his highest ebb.

In other news, I think you guys would enjoy this guide to making Tonio's tomato salad :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnjm9MU7pY

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Nessus posted:

He'd also literally had a micro-stroke induced by Polnareff as well as having his giblets suckled by a monster in India. Also, he had to hang out with Kakyoin. He was not at his highest ebb.

In other news, I think you guys would enjoy this guide to making Tonio's tomato salad :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnjm9MU7pY

I bet that guy likes part 5 the most as well.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

HellCopter posted:

I feel worse for Joseph. After debuting in Part 2 as a hot-blooded clever rear end in a top hat, he spends Part 3 as an old man who basically gets tossed around. He even loses a contest of wits.

Yeah but he never got outsmarted by a rat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Was it ever stated what Joseph actually did with most of his life? Jonathan was an Archaeologist, Jotaro a marine biologist, but I can't remember Joseph having a job.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Sold real estate in NY, I want to say. Might have also been in other places.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Joseph was a real estate tycoon, yeah.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He probably inherited Speedwagon's fortune too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FH_Meta posted:

Sold real estate in NY, I want to say. Might have also been in other places.

So he lived doing what he loved: conning idiots.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

If All Star Battle is anything to go off of, GER vs Made in Heaven would have been amazing, also going to say that despite the translation I actually really enjoyed part 5, I kinda like how at the end they switch things up and had the protagonist rather than the antagonist get the plot device that makes you overpowered, even if it lead to a rather boring final fight

...nah. That's probably the single worst thing about Part 5. And the lead-up to it is especially confusing and random: Silver Chariot Requiem has a boatload of random powers that have absolutely no connection to each other. He puts people to sleep and switches their souls! And he automatically retaliates hits! And he can switch with abominations from beyond time and space! And now he's a shadow!!! The bodyswitch shenanigans were totally unnecessary, especially because they made a confusing final battle even more confusing.
And, finally, King Crimson. (Diavolo's Stand is arguably the actual iconic villain of the arc...) He's got such cool fights, and such a rad power, but nope! Nobody ever figures out a way to beat him, Giorno just gets an off switch, and that's it for Diavolo. Nobody ever manages to really fight a dude who can at all times see a couple seconds into the future and avoid whatever he sees. Would've been more interesting if Giorno's upgrade gave him a way to fight King Crimson on equal footing, like Jotaro's Time Stop, rather than literally win the fight for him.
Also, the Rolling Stone epilogue sucks.

To be honest, I'm not sure a proper translation can salvage that mess of an ending. :colbert:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
To beat the first bullshit timepower, they used the same bullshit time power. To beat an, as written, completely broken unstoppable time power, they used another broken unstoppable power.

I like the silver chariot requiem because we get to see my old pal and also because it fits goofball Polnareff perfectly for his stand to go outside his control and accidentally determine the fate of the world.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Momomo posted:

I'm more disappointed Great Uncle Josuke never got a chance to jump in and be a big drat hero. Poor guy was forgotten past part 4.

Same. Josuke is my favorite JoJo and his Stand is great.

Josuke just spent his time enjoying his quiet life with his friends until the universe reset on him.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
With Crazy Diamond Requiem, I'll repair the damage to space and time

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

To beat the first bullshit timepower, they used the same bullshit time power. To beat an, as written, completely broken unstoppable time power, they used another broken unstoppable power.

True... and that sucks. And, really, I have no problem with broken unstoppable powers. But I still want to see a rewarding battle; instead, Golden Experience Requiem goes "Giorno has no loving clue what he's doing, but conveniently enough I have the power of winning any battle!" and there you go. It's like Araki had to bullshit the story out of the corner he'd written it into - but even more frustrating, because I'm sure he could've come up with some way of stopping King Crimson with just a little more effort. It was still a Stand with clearly defined abilities and limits.

I like the silver chariot requiem because we get to see my old pal and also because it fits goofball Polnareff perfectly for his stand to go outside his control and accidentally determine the fate of the world.

Yeah, the idea is super cool.

Random powers and a super-confusing chase scene, not so much. That whole scene was several steps removed from anything resembling action, it was just a confusing mess of phantom limbs, ghosts, stands which were also ghosts (?) and whatnot. And then the absolute anti-climax of a battle. It's got a fitting fate in store for Diavolo, but... that's about it. And then, an epilogue that says a whole lot of nothing. Hm.

There's a lot to like about Part 5, but anything past Polnareff's death sure isn't it.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I liked that the ultimate stand is actually just some rock you aren't supposed to look at

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I wish Joseph got more chances to show off a little in Part 3, but it's Part 4 Joseph that really makes me sad.
It's like he was supposed to die at the end of Part 3 but then Araki was forced to bring him back, so he did, and then he made sure to make him a docile, senile old man who's totally unrecognizable as the same character.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
He's faking being senile so no one will get mad at him for being a horny fuckman

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Was Joseph supposed to die?

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Oh, I don't know if he was, I was just saying that it almost seemed like it to me.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Joseph has the best luck of all the Jostars

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Sorry but if you don't love Joseph in all forms we're going to have words.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Joseph survived the reset, that's my canon.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

jellycat posted:

I wish Joseph got more chances to show off a little in Part 3, but it's Part 4 Joseph that really makes me sad.
It's like he was supposed to die at the end of Part 3 but then Araki was forced to bring him back, so he did, and then he made sure to make him a docile, senile old man who's totally unrecognizable as the same character.

Part 4 Joseph is still cool though, just the thing he does in Achtung, Baby! is righteous and clever in the same measure; that's Joseph to a T.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I wish Joseph and Josuke got more scenes together that weren't Taking Care Of An Invisible Baby.

They're really similar in personality, but there's never any real resolution to Josuke meeting his father. Josuke was never really mad at Joseph in the first place I guess, but I woulda like more Father and Son team ups.

I just want Part 4 to last forever.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I wanted the all Jostar final teamup as well but perhaps it was too corny to come to fruition

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Joseph can probably barely remember what a Stand is.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

Joseph can probably barely remember what a Stand is.

Nah man, Joseph's still got it

He's faking being senile so no one will get mad at him for being a horny fuckman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

With Crazy Diamond Requiem, I'll repair the damage to space and time

I wonder if Araki was originally planning for Josuke to get an ability like this to counter Kira's Bites the Dust.

• Locked thread