Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gunder posted:

The attached photo is a screenshot of Apple's weather app. What does the weather symbol for Friday mean? If it just means that it's freezing, then I already know that on account of the temperatures being in the negative. Why not show the sunny symbol or the snow symbol, or any other symbol? If that symbol just means that it's below zero degrees, then displaying any other symbol would be more informative, as I already can get that data from the numerical values.

.....cold temperatures? :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Gunder posted:

The attached photo is a screenshot of Apple's weather app. What does the weather symbol for Friday mean? If it just means that it's freezing, then I already know that on account of the temperatures being in the negative. Why not show the sunny symbol or the snow symbol, or any other symbol? If that symbol just means that it's below zero degrees, then displaying any other symbol would be more informative, as I already can get that data from the numerical values.

It means "ice" apparently. http://imgur.com/zvjcpHc

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rain icing on contact with the ground, to be precise. Dangerous driving.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Is it possible to get a push notification when I receive an e-mail from a specific address?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Is it possible to get a push notification when I receive an e-mail from a specific address?

Yes.

Settings>Notifications>Mail>VIP

Then go to mail, open an email from that address, tap on the address in the from field, and Add to VIP.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Is anyone using http://www.myphonedesktop.com/ - I'm coming off using an Android phone for 6 months and the only thing I'll miss (other than the frequent reboots and inability to answer 2 out of 5 calls) is Pushbullet letting me handle sms messages from my desktop. I'm on Windows 7. I was ready to grab myphonedesktop but the reviews leave me uncertain. OR, if there's a better way to do this I want to know.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

porktree posted:

Is anyone using http://www.myphonedesktop.com/ - I'm coming off using an Android phone for 6 months and the only thing I'll miss (other than the frequent reboots and inability to answer 2 out of 5 calls) is Pushbullet letting me handle sms messages from my desktop. I'm on Windows 7. I was ready to grab myphonedesktop but the reviews leave me uncertain. OR, if there's a better way to do this I want to know.

You know that Pushbullet is on iOS too, right?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there a better & well-integrated solution for managing Contacts in iOS? The built in app is kind of a mess, as far as I can tell. I have users having a really hard time with syncing from Exchange, contacts going missing, dupes being created, etc.

Is there a go-to drop-in replacement for executive types?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kheldarn posted:

You know that Pushbullet is on iOS too, right?

He can't use it to handle SMS from his computer, though. Pushbullet on iOS only pushes things to your phone and then from your phone to other things, but it's not as open as the Android variant.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

He can't use it to handle SMS from his computer, though. Pushbullet on iOS only pushes things to your phone and then from your phone to other things, but it's not as open as the Android variant.

Oh. I have both Android and iOS devices, so I didn't know that.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there a better & well-integrated solution for managing Contacts in iOS? The built in app is kind of a mess, as far as I can tell. I have users having a really hard time with syncing from Exchange, contacts going missing, dupes being created, etc.

Is there a go-to drop-in replacement for executive types?

CoBook used to be a good answer but it got acquired and abandoned. Still might be worth a look.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of contacts, is there any way to manage groups from the contacts or phone apps?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The correct answer is to buy a Mac so that you can use SMS forwarding to the messages app and manage your contacts there.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

The correct answer is to buy a Mac so that you can use SMS forwarding to the messages app and manage your contacts there.

That reminds me. I thought I had that set up right and use messages for everything. But the other day I tried to start a conversation with an android only person and my mbp said it couldn't start a message conversation with that account. Does that mean something is borked? (Instant hotspot was acting up as well but that is a piece of poo poo)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

You need to explicitly enable SMS forwarding in the settings app for messages on your phone. I thought it was automatically enabled like how calls through facetime is, but it's not.

It would probably be a good idea for apple to make handoff, cellular to facetime, and sms to imessage forwarding all have one big switch called "I want all my poo poo to work together".

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I was really surprised by the lack of any cohesive onboarding experience when all the pieces of the Continuity stuff became available.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I was more surprised (not really) that they made people with 2011 Airs have to take a hex editor to a couple of kernel extensions to get handoff to work because the 2011 Pro didn't have the right bluetooth module and it was easier to say "only available on 2012 and later models" than list specific models it works with. They (nerds) have automated tools now, so it's not a huge deal.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lum_ posted:

CoBook used to be a good answer but it got acquired and abandoned. Still might be worth a look.

I need something that's going to be supported ongoing. If I get the CEO et al onto something that then vanishes to the ether or stops being supported... that's bad.

I'll look at this anyway, though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Now that Phone Cleaner charges, any good free programs that clean Other space off yer Iphone?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Is there a good app for maps/GPS, preferably cheap or free that allows you to download large areas for use offline? I know google maps lets you do offline, but the areas are only pretty small, like whatever you can see on your screen. I want to be able to download a whole cityand be able to zoom in on street level and use this offline. Turn by turn navigation would be a plus.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Vidaeus posted:

Is there a good app for maps/GPS, preferably cheap or free that allows you to download large areas for use offline? I know google maps lets you do offline, but the areas are only pretty small, like whatever you can see on your screen. I want to be able to download a whole cityand be able to zoom in on street level and use this offline. Turn by turn navigation would be a plus.

Soon.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

I got City Maps 2Go Pro for free in a promotion like a year or so ago. It's $4.99 USD now. I don't think it does street level or directions, but then again I haven't used it in a while.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

porktree posted:

The only "good" solution I've found for this is to jailbreak and install a VNC server on your phone. (lol)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

~Coxy posted:

The only "good" solution I've found for this is to jailbreak and install a VNC server on your phone. (lol)

If you jailbreak, just use this http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/01/29/remote-messages-send-imessage-from-browser/

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Is there a good way to backup texts and imessages onto a computer or to like Gmail? I had a good app for android but there seems to be not much availble for iOS, willing to pay if its a good app.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

LionYeti posted:

Is there a good way to backup texts and imessages onto a computer or to like Gmail? I had a good app for android but there seems to be not much availble for iOS, willing to pay if its a good app.

When I did it like 6 months ago I used PhoneView, which worked fine but felt weird. I don't know, it's hard to explain, but it just felt like lovely software; worked well enough, though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

LionYeti posted:

iTunes

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

maduin posted:

When I did it like 6 months ago I used PhoneView, which worked fine but felt weird. I don't know, it's hard to explain, but it just felt like lovely software; worked well enough, though.

I should mention I'm on a PC

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thanks, the last time I looked at this (must have been during the IOS6 days I guess) Remote Messages was not nearly as full-featured. Looks perfect now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

I was more surprised (not really) that they made people with 2011 Airs have to take a hex editor to a couple of kernel extensions to get handoff to work because the 2011 Pro didn't have the right bluetooth module and it was easier to say "only available on 2012 and later models" than list specific models it works with. They (nerds) have automated tools now, so it's not a huge deal.
That reminds me I still need to do this.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So there's no way for a PC guy to send iMessages from the computer, right? I changed from Android and liked being able to text from the Google Voice webpage and also go through all my old texts from my last three phones for information.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I just asked something similar to that - the short answer is 'no' - but I'm on the fence on spending the $5 to try out http://www.myphonedesktop.com/.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

porktree posted:

I just asked something similar to that - the short answer is 'no' - but I'm on the fence on spending the $5 to try out http://www.myphonedesktop.com/.

The app seems like more of a hassle than just typing out the messages on the phone. You have to open the right apps on the phone for the desktop application to work correctly, so it doesn't eliminate not having to use your phone at all to send messages. I guess if you just left the phone on with messages open all day it'd work, but after reading about it, it doesn't seem like it's worth $5.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

porktree posted:

What about Remote Messages? Then the answer is yes. I think it costs like $4 on Cydia. We just covered this.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Michael Scott posted:

What about Remote Messages? Then the answer is yes. I think it costs like $4 on Cydia. We just covered this.

Yeah, it's like two posts above the question, y'all.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
So Google updated Chrome for iOS with material design and it's pretty nice, etc etc, but the big thing is they used the loving native iOS share sheet, so god bless America hopefully they add it to the loving Gmail app soon.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Speaking of Google apps, is there any way to remove the advertisement for Google chrome that pops up every time you tap a link in Google hangouts? I'm never going to use chrome over safari.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

maduin posted:

So Google updated Chrome for iOS with material design and it's pretty nice, etc etc, but the big thing is they used the loving native iOS share sheet, so god bless America hopefully they add it to the loving Gmail app soon.

Oh for the day when I'll finally be able to share a link out of Safari into Gmail without doing a copy-paste texas two step.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

maduin posted:

It also supports Handoff seamlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I have thousands of photos on my phone, but certain apps (Google Drive, Tumblr) can't seem to see more than 40 of them. This never used to be a problem. What am I doing wrong?

I have the iCloud photo thing turned on, but I tried looking at the photos I wanted to upload so the phone would download the full resolution versions, but they still won't show up.