Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alaan posted:

Sealed kind of has that aspect to it. You can be a great player and get hosed by a guy you know isn't that good but has a sweet pool because you had garbage.

Sealed is just Pack Wars. You live and die on what you open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Izzus posted:

So Emrakul picks off the dude with the lifegain deck, brings him from 42 to nil in two turns thanks to the alchemist.

It sounds like you used the alchemist to let your Emrakul attack twice in a turn? It doesn't actually work that way unfortunately, you only get one combat phase each turn unless you play a card that specifically gives you another one (and those cards pretty much always untap your creatures as well). The best it can do is let you attack and then untap your Emrakul so it can block.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I went 3-1 in both of my Sealed tournaments. I lost to the same loving card both matches, too: Temur Sabretooth. I have never complained about a card being too powerful for Limited but it seriously feels like this card is not fair.

Anyway I got a sweet Sultai sealed pool today, featuring promo Archfiend of Depravity, pack foil Sandsteppe Mastodon, and Tasigur the Golden Fang. Tasigur was really good, more as a 4/5 for like 1-3 mana than for his ability., though my deck was strong enough that he usually got decent value.

Overperformers:

-All three of the above rares were huge bombs that win the game hard.
-Grim Contest: Butt Fight is really good, especially with Sidisi's Pet (gain 4) and Sultai Soothsayer.
-Reach of Shadows: no surprise, I had two of these and was always happy to draw them. I got hosed by the card that manifests a card with X counters on it (which turned out to be a Sabretooth) but otherwise kills anything for 5 instantly, which is great in this format.
-Return to the Earth: I had two and ended up maindecking one, and pretty much always had a target. Every color gets a 4/4 flyer for 6, not to mention the rare dragons, so I often sided in the second.
-Whisperer of the Wilds: Even late in the game, having two mana more than the opponent can be a pretty big deal, as there is so much to do with your mana in this format.

Underperformers:
-Shamanic Revelation: My deck was probably not right for it, but this card never did anything for me. I had a Treasure Cruise and that was about a billion times better.
-Hooded Assassin: Maybe against a deck full of walls, but most of the time this was a 2/3 for three.

to reiterate, gently caress Temur Sabretooth.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This deck was pretty sick. I had just one loss going into the final round.....

And my final round opponent refused to draw into top 8 with me. I lost because in the final game I ran out of gas and he stuck his Ugin. As a result, he gained absolutely nothing and I lost out on 14 packs (if everyone split).

gently caress that guy.

I can't REALLY complain because I have that shiny shiny Soulfire Grand Master promo, but gently caress that guy all the same. Everyone else in the top 8 even went over to explain that what he did was technically allowed but highly frowned upon because there's no reason to do what he did as it did not affect the prize he would receive, but he still refused.

Guess I'll just dump that thing over in the trade thread and take out my aggression on a cube draft.

That sucks on the loss, that deck looks amazing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Izzus posted:

The deal is that I've got Aphetto Alchemist on the field, enchanted with Diplomatic Immunity.
Aphetto Alchemist doesn't play well with diplomatic immunity because all the fun degenerate stuff involves giving him Illusionist's Bracers and getting dumb. You target the alchemist with the copy of his ability and you can use him as many times as you want. Untap a mana generating creature for infinite mana. If you have a elixer of immortality and a looter, it's like a free tutor. There are so many goofy rear end combos with him that I can't imagine not throwing in a couple bracers for fun times. Might even speed up your Emrakul if you run green/blue with some mana elves.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
So my LGS has a few card arts posted, and I meant to take a picture of one but forgot. The card was basically a bird... thing staring at an orb. That's uh, all I can really remember. Any idea what it might be?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Think my favorite play of the night was the following:
My teammate in 2HG had the 0/7 wall that can tap a creature.
Opponent: Cast Atarka, World Render (rare dragon 6/4 that gets double-strike when it attacks; they had two in the deck, both promos).
Teammate: "Ok, end of turn, I have effects"
Opponent: "Ok"
Teammate: "Butt-fight"

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Went 4-1 somehow with a pretty janky Temur deck. Flamewake Phoenix was my best pull, but really the two main deck Disdainful Strokes to counter everyone else's bombs did the most work. Temur Battle Raging a 10/10 Sandsteppe Mastadon was my highlight of the night, love that card.

Angry Grimace posted:

Brian Kibler was at this prerelease and every time I heard him talking he was telling someone how much MTGO sucks. :lol:

I love Brian Kibler.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also we made another kelly..

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Death Bot posted:

So my LGS has a few card arts posted, and I meant to take a picture of one but forgot. The card was basically a bird... thing staring at an orb. That's uh, all I can really remember. Any idea what it might be?

Kirtar's Desire?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Droopy Kamahl was the best thing about the cycle.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Rinkles posted:

Droopy Kamahl was the best thing about the cycle.

Personally I enjoy that the first thing a 6/1 haste wishes for is First Strike.

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

ShadeofBlue posted:

It sounds like you used the alchemist to let your Emrakul attack twice in a turn? It doesn't actually work that way unfortunately, you only get one combat phase each turn unless you play a card that specifically gives you another one (and those cards pretty much always untap your creatures as well). The best it can do is let you attack and then untap your Emrakul so it can block.

Yeah we're pretty casual about stuff like that. We usually establish house rules at the beginning of the game. Mana drop, draw 7, anything goes, etc. You know, poo poo that just makes the game chaotic. In this case it was endless combat.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Aphetto Alchemist doesn't play well with diplomatic immunity because all the fun degenerate stuff involves giving him Illusionist's Bracers and getting dumb. You target the alchemist with the copy of his ability and you can use him as many times as you want. Untap a mana generating creature for infinite mana. If you have a elixer of immortality and a looter, it's like a free tutor. There are so many goofy rear end combos with him that I can't imagine not throwing in a couple bracers for fun times. Might even speed up your Emrakul if you run green/blue with some mana elves.

Well hell I never knew that card existed. I might have to restructure the Emrakul deck in that case since I balanced it to focus on draw instead of mana.
Still the Diplomatic Immunity pretty much saved the Alchemist until I got Emrakul into play. One of the guys I was playing with was using a control deck that focuses on debuffing everything until he can get his heavy hitters into play. Lifegain guy was having a lovely time, but thankfully with my high artifact:creature ratio he couldn't cast much my way.

A thought just crossed my mind though. When I tried to tap my Sol Ring for mana twice in one turn, they said the mana it gave me terminated as soon as Sol Ring untaps. What's the ruling on this?

Izzus fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 18, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I went 1-3 at my prerelease going Temur. Shamanic Revelation was my seeded rare, and I picked up a Shu Yun and the Legendary sword, but never got to live the dream. I kept getting beat up by Azban decks and that dude that Bolsters things on their endstep. If that gets out early it makes it hard to come back.

Personally I can't wait for Game Day to be here so prices can start falling.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Izzus posted:

The other dude attacks me with a 1/3 and a 2/2. Not enough to kill me, right? The combination of Farsight Mask and Howling Mine reduces my library to zero when my draw phase comes around. He wins the game.

Farsight Mask is optional.

Izzus posted:

Yeah we're pretty casual about stuff like that. We usually establish house rules at the beginning of the game. Mana drop, draw 7, anything goes, etc. You know, poo poo that just makes the game chaotic. In this case it was endless combat.

That's the kind of random-pile-of-cards Magic that I wish playing. If I look at a card like Aphetto Alchemist or Emrakul I'm immediately thinking of the most unfair thing I can do, and not the funniest thing I can do, and I'm not enjoying that mindset so much anymore. But incidentally, the funniest way to draw cards with Rush of Knowledge is with Scornful Egotist.

quote:

A thought just crossed my mind though. When I tried to tap my Sol Ring for mana twice in one turn, they said the mana it gave me terminated as soon as Sol Ring untaps. What's the ruling on this?

There's no such rule, mana only drains away when you move between steps and phases (like from the main to combat).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Monopthalmus posted:

Goons, I'm looking to get back into Magic for the first time since I was a teenager (I was very active during the 4th edition, Ice Age, Mirage days). If I were looking to walk into a Magic store tonight and spend, say, $100 to get me started and reacquainted with things, how would my money be best spent? Should I be buying a couple core sets and a bunch of expansions backs from the latest sets?

Dudes telling you to buy a net deck of some variety are giving you good advice, so I will give you some bad advice. If all you are looking for is a quick no muss no fuss deck where you don't have to do any work then the khans event deck is ok. It is a black white warriors deck that does decent work for me in casual magic and has a lot of cheap upgrade potential, especially in light of some of the new cards in the set that comes out next week. This is absolutely sub-optimal but it is also the most no-effort option. If you can find other event decks for cheap at a shop they aren't bad buys, but none of them will be standard legal except the khans one at this point.

One thing I should point out is they don't do starter boxes anymore like they used to back then so if you are just after random cards it's boosters all the way now.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 18, 2015

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Anti-Citizen posted:

Personally I enjoy that the first thing a 6/1 haste wishes for is First Strike.
I like that Aboshan has good synergy with his desire as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I won a Built From Scratch red Commander deck, which I don't mean to use. Looking at eBay I can get most of retail for it, is that the way to go? Might it or some components go up? Figure stuff like Duelcaster might see play.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

BizarroAzrael posted:

So I won a Built From Scratch red Commander deck, which I don't mean to use. Looking at eBay I can get most of retail for it, is that the way to go? Might it or some components go up? Figure stuff like Duelcaster might see play.

I'd at least keep the fancy Goat tokens.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Jabor posted:

AFAIK Wizards provides two packs per player which must go into the prize pool, but how that prize pool is actually distributed is up to the store. Some stores pay out a very flat prize structure (pack-per-win isn't unusual, and the local store here even runs "casual" flights were you get the same number of "prize" boosters at the end not matter what your record is), while others pay out something a little more top-heavy.

My store (I'm the owner) got 100 prerelease packs allocated but only 5 boxes which ended up being 1.8 per person. Pretty frustrating but I put up a bunch of door prizes and everyone got at least one booster for playing.

But yeah it felt a bit rough giving the 5-0 guy only 4 packs.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
With the place I went to the guys running the event also played and one of them who would of normally won a top prize just gave out his wins to players. Was a decent way imo to make sure everyone got at least 1 and the top tier winners getting a fair amount too.

Also just wanted to say that Warden of the First Tree is a loving beast and I was lucky as hell to pull one in my sealed deck. Plan on buying 3 more.

Lionguild fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 18, 2015

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BaronVonVaderham posted:

By this same line of logic, that same person should have played harder so that they put themselves in a position where they did not need to win another game to earn their place.

I'm honestly confused by how you look at this. It sucks when you're that guy in 9th place and a bunch of people drew in, but if you had won earlier in the round so that you were in 5th place before that round you could have done the same. They're not refusing to play out their game "for no reason", they DO NOT HAVE TO EARN ANY MORE POINTS TO WIN. Playing out that game would be "for no reason".

I'm also guessing you've never had the pleasure of drawing the final round to go get a beer next door.

gently caress you for feeling so entitled in a card game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You're a weirdo if you get on your high horse railing against intentional draws if it's at an event that actually counts for something, like a GPT; and you're a weirdo for even suggesting an ID if the event is a loving pre-release.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Went 3-1-1 at my prerelease at Sultai. When it was called out "Sultai, get your boxes!" I was the only one to stand. :unsmith:

I won off the backs of my two bomb rares, Palace Siege - Dragon Mode (Drain 2 life from your opponent at your Upkeep) and Crux of Fate (Wipe dragons or non-Dragons). I was also the only one to use manifest cards at all ever. I had Sultai Emissary out and wiped the board with Crux, netting me three 2/2's. :buddy:

It was pretty fun other than my loss against a Spike Jeskai player.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Won 4-0 with RUG cuz they didn't have any UWR boxes left. Was disappointed the only thing good I opened was Sarkhan but he's ok in sealed I guess. I'm just glad green now has dinosaur stompy monsters for limited cuz it was really tiring playing draft and having outlast dudes bog down the board and turn it into a boring mess. The 4/1 2 drop is also really cool and some people were surprised I swung with it to to kill a morph instead of getting "full value" :psyduck:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 18, 2015

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Marshall Sutcliffe battles in the finals of an 8-4 against an opponent with an interesting plan:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Equilibrium posted:

Went 4-1 somehow with a pretty janky Temur deck. Flamewake Phoenix was my best pull, but really the two main deck Disdainful Strokes to counter everyone else's bombs did the most work. Temur Battle Raging a 10/10 Sandsteppe Mastadon was my highlight of the night, love that card.

I love Brian Kibler.

Its funny hearing him bitch about MODO, but I will say that he said one thing that kind of stuck out if you read between the lines. The money is apparently a lot better streaming Hearthstone because he gets revenue from E-sports sponsors rather than just MTG sponsors. That said, I certainly don't doubt he really hates MODO - he said the game was just not fun, client aside.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Lets Pickle posted:

That sucks on the loss, that deck looks amazing.

It was really fun to play, too. I even got to live the dream once with Grand Master down. My opponent playing Abzan went all in on an attack, I said no blocks and played Channel Harm targeting his Abzan Guide. No lifelink for him, I gained a buttload of life and didn't die, killed him on the swingback.

I think this format's going to be a lot more fun than pure Khans was, that was getting a bit stale.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
Went 3-1 and was 4th out of 26 running esper with splash red.

Locked out boards were solved with holding back a few creatures in my hand and having a big creature of mine be chump blocked and casting arcbond on their creature.

A guy who went 4-0 played two taigans scheming, a lens of clarity along with 0 cards that used manifest and didn't know what defender was. :aaa:

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

Chamale posted:

That's the kind of random-pile-of-cards Magic that I wish playing. If I look at a card like Aphetto Alchemist or Emrakul I'm immediately thinking of the most unfair thing I can do, and not the funniest thing I can do, and I'm not enjoying that mindset so much anymore. But incidentally, the funniest way to draw cards with Rush of Knowledge is with Scornful Egotist.

Haha drat. I pulled that card out of the deck to make way for something else. Maybe I'll put it back in.

Chamale posted:

There's no such rule, mana only drains away when you move between steps and phases (like from the main to combat).

Word. I'll keep that in mind.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Some dude at the pre-release also traded me a bunch of Chained to the Rocks in exchange for Suspension Fields, which was weird to me given that Suspension FIeld is barely played and what play it might have had in sideboards seems like it would go to zero with Valorous Stance around.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Went 3-0-1 last night, splitting the top prize with a guy who had pretty much the best Temur pool ever. The entire night was odd, since I was playing what I felt wasn't a very good Mardu deck, but people just didn't expect aggression, and Citadel Siege is Pretty loving Good.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Went 1-3 yesterday running a Mardu deck with a green splash for Dromoka and Warden. Lost first round 0-2 to a combination of a misplayed outpost siege that I didn't catch (he was playing the exiled cards without paying mana cost) and utter mana screwage (only 2 lands first round, mull to 4 and only lands second). Lost second round 1-2 to a neat Jeskai deck. Won third round by 1 life (towershell, Mardu Strike Leader with -1/-1, and 3 tokens attacking while I was at 7 life, chumped the towershell and won on the crackback), 2-1. Barely lost 4th round 1-2 with a Mardu Roughrider and Dromoka on board. He got temur battle rage and one of the +2/+2 enchantments on an Alabaster Kirin while Dromoka was tapped and I was at 4 life. Without that I'd have swung for 22 on the crackback (Dromoka and a bolstered roughrider on board, War Flare and Trumpet Blast in hand with enough mana to cast).
Didn't pull any Ugins, but someone else at the event ripped 2 in her pool.
My store was really top heavy this time. 2-1-1 and better got packs. They usually do 2-2 or better.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Kirtar's Desire
http://magiccards.info/od/en/27.html

or maybe Natural Selection
http://magiccards.info/al/en/121.html

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I went 3-1 in my first 4 matches, drew into top 8 at the suggestion of my opponent and the X-0/X-1 pairing next to us, then split top 8. I prized better than I should have, and got to leave before midnight after being there for 6 hours.

The second one actually. Why are there two "bird looking at orb" cards

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I love prereleases and I'm really sad that I didn't get to do one this time. I was sick with a stomach bug, and just as I recovered (and could have done a Saturday night or Sunday afternoon event) my fiancée got sick with it too and I had to stay home and take care of her. :( I really wanted some sweet alternate art dragon cards too.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Death Bot posted:

I went 3-1 in my first 4 matches, drew into top 8 at the suggestion of my opponent and the X-0/X-1 pairing next to us, then split top 8. I prized better than I should have, and got to leave before midnight after being there for 6 hours.

I ask why are there only two.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Death Bot posted:

the second one is actually the one i thought of first
also there's two because that's clearly how natural selection works

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

My deck I won with yesterday. I was pretty happy with my pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015
*raises hand*

I have some questions about let legality.

If I'm making a modern deck, and I want to use Tectonic Edge, can i use the 'Commander 2014 ' edition in it, or do i require the 'Worldwake one'?

And If i wanted to use Treetop Village, do i need the 'Tenth Edition' print or can I use one from the various 'Duel decks'? Can i use the 'Urza's legacy' printing?

• Locked thread