Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Space Fish posted:

drat you, now I bought the SHIELD/Kamala issue. I'm susceptible to certain cameos now!

At least it was good. It seems Kamala's powers are just a better version of Reed Richards. She can stretch herself all over the place and into different shapes, AND change her appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That poo poo is a plague on kids in dead-end midwestern towns who see the army as a way out. It's pretty disgusting.

I remember getting cornered by recruiters every day of my Jr and Snr years and it drove me nuts. "Hey dumb kids! Join the army! It'll totally be awesome!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

twistedmentat posted:

At least it was good. It seems Kamala's powers are just a better version of Reed Richards. She can stretch herself all over the place and into different shapes, AND change her appearance.

The only downside is that it apparently gets less and less effective as time goes on and it eats into her healing factor until she stops having it altogether.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Reed Richards has used his powers to look like other people it's just really exhausting to do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Modern Leper posted:

Slight derail, but as a former 16 year old in America - what the hell is the ASVAB?

Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. They way it was presented at my school was it was optional, but you had to opt out of it (possibly requiring a note from your parents) but other schools may have handled it differently, or its become less prevalent. I think I'm older than a good chunk of this forum, they've completely changed the scoring on the SATs since I took them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirDan3k posted:

Reed Richards has used his powers to look like other people it's just really exhausting to do.

In Earth X he stretched his brain to match a scan of Xavier's brain so he could use Cerebro, which I thought was clever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. They way it was presented at my school was it was optional, but you had to opt out of it (possibly requiring a note from your parents) but other schools may have handled it differently, or its become less prevalent. I think I'm older than a good chunk of this forum, they've completely changed the scoring on the SATs since I took them.
It was definitely opt-in when I was in high school. I took it since getting out of a couple classes to take a test for something I had zero interest in actually moving forward seemed like a good idea at the time. I probably got a few recruiter calls from it, but that's it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

In Earth X he stretched his brain to match a scan of Xavier's brain so he could use Cerebro, which I thought was clever.

In Hickman's Ultimate stories Reed stretched his brain to keep up with the City, where he lived for a thousand years of accelerated time.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

muscles like this? posted:

In Hickman's Ultimate stories Reed stretched his brain to keep up with the City, where he lived for a thousand years of accelerated time.

In the hilarious/terrible MANGAVERSE F4 Reed only ever stretched his brain to become regular Reed smart by enhancing his dendrites in some technobabble way. That may have been the first time the idea came up, but I doubt it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mr. Maltose posted:

In the hilarious/terrible MANGAVERSE F4 Reed only ever stretched his brain to become regular Reed smart by enhancing his dendrites in some technobabble way. That may have been the first time the idea came up, but I doubt it.

Nah, it's been bandied about that Reed's intellect - which was already high even if he forgot to add radiation shielding to his experimental spacecraft - increased dramatically once he got his stretchy powers because he subconsciously uses them to shift his brain around when he needs to do some serious thinking. I (seem to) remember it being mentioned in the Fantastic Four supplement for the Marvel Super Heroes RPG, and that was published in 1987, so it had to have been at least suggested in the comics probably at least two years prior.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Skwirl posted:

Every single 16 year old male in America takes the ASVAB in high-school. Students who do well on certain sections get recruiting pamphlets from relevant armed service branches. They have an extra section in the 616 ASVAB.

They recruit you for the magic division if you correctly answer the question about shrubs.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I kept expecting him to reproduce through asexual budding.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

30 minutes (approximately) until the big Secret Wars thingie.

Probably just going to be solicitations, but who knows?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Well that was more than solicitations

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

So long anybody not in the MCU plans.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Wow. Damnit. Seems like they're trashing the thing that has made them so good and so much better than DC over the last five years.

Personally, I enjoy not needing to give a crap about the wider marvel universe to enjoy so many of their titles. There's been so much good, interesting, original stuff from marvel lately. And now they're just resorting to smashing all their toys together.

Well, it was nice while it lasted.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

krakagar posted:

Wow. Damnit. Seems like they're trashing the thing that has made them so good and so much better than DC over the last five years.

Personally, I enjoy not needing to give a crap about the wider marvel universe to enjoy so many of their titles. There's been so much good, interesting, original stuff from marvel lately. And now they're just resorting to smashing all their toys together.

Well, it was nice while it lasted.
I imagine this is still going to be true

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The announcement to end all announcements!

TIME RUNS OUT!!!

EVERYTHING ENDS!!!!!!

...sigh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Everything Ends...including the stream, prematurely. Good job Marvel!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I have more faith in Marvel since they only seem to continuously gently caress up Spider-Man. If Marvel doesn't want to use continuity they usually just ignore it until it's brought up, and I have faith they won't do something stupid and ridiculous like claim the X-Men had over 300 different team iterations in 4 years. Most of their outstanding books in recent memory have been mostly self-contained and they'll still probably be like that

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Here's some trimmed down written description of it.

quote:

Alonso prepared to drop the "big bomb": "The Ultimate Universe, the Marvel Universe, they're going to slap together. Imagine two pizzas: They're going to combine toppings, some toppings are going to drop off. And that is the Marvel Universe moving forward. It's more than the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe, it's all the universes you can imagine. That is the Marvel Universe going forward."

The final issues of "Avengers" and "New Avengers" will build up to this incursion, but "Secret Wars" #1 will contain the main action of this event "The heroes of those two worlds will have eight hours to figure out what to do about it before both universes are destroyed," Brevoort said. "And they won't. I've ruined 'Secret Wars' #1 for you!"

The previously revealed "Battleworld" is the "melting world from which the new Marvel Universe will be fermented," Brevoort said, calling it the "detritus" from the resulted combined Marvel Universe. "Various characters will live their lives, and contend with this new situation, and set up all the building blocks and the bedrock of what the new Marvel Universe will be going forward."

"There will be conflicts and fighting," Alonso added. "Imagine that."

"Once you hit 'Secret Wars' #1, there's no Marvel Universe, there's no Ultimate Universe," Brevoort said. "It's all Battleworld." "None of these stories are What Ifs are alternate reality stories," Alonso said. "And they will have legs. They will impart new things into the Marvel Universe going forward."

All of the previously revealed Battleworld teasers represent parts of the new Marvel Universe, and are described as only the "tip of the iceberg." Several "Secret Wars"-related announcements are planned over the next two weeks...

Secret Wars" #2 will also ship in May. "In sort of an odd twist, the second issue is the fat one. It's a gargantuan, oversized issue. It will give a full guided tour of the new Battleworld, and set up everything you need to know. Esad Ribic just turned in the last pages for it earlier today. Stunningly beautiful work by Esad."

Speaking of the legacy of the story, Alonso said, "This is putting an endcap to decades of stories, and starting a new era. When you see the scope of the stories, you'll see what we're willing to do. If we wanted to resurrect Gwen Stacy, this would be the place to do it, wouldn't it? If you ever wondered what would happen if you take the 'Age of Ultron' universe and perch it next to the 'Marvel Zombies' universe, this would be the place to do it." Alonso said he thinks "Secret Wars" will be a great jumping-on point for new fans.

source

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hey, did anybody think that DC had the monopoly on moronic crossover concepts and big universe plans? Here you go.

And all that noise only to bring Miles into 616 and get rid of Fury Jr. in favor of proper Samuel L. Fury.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This all sounds loving dumb as all hell. The big loving multi-year building up incursion storyline ends with "couldn't fix it, it's all loving scrambled now. Well see ya".

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hope the cartoon X-Men team are the only mutant survivors.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Actually it's big enough news that it deserves it's own thread.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

There's a lot of things that I can see them taking from those alternate books to turn back the clock on things. Peter being married to MJ from the Spider-Man book.
X-Men 92 could end up with no more vampire Jubilee, bringing back Wolverine from the dead and undoing Cyclops' heel turn.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Goddamn it I just got started on Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel and now they're gonna gently caress it all up :(

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

Goddamn it I just got started on Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel and now they're gonna gently caress it all up :(

Unless you think they are going to bring in alternate universe versions of those characters to replace them I doubt they will change much.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

Considering one is gonna be a movie and the other is frequently cited as one of Marvel's more important books for having a positively portrayed female minority character you have very little to fear.

If the 616 version of a character either is the more iconic one or more closely resembles the MCU version it'll be safe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll be pretty shocked if it also doesn't result in an alive Gwen Stacy in the post-Secret Wars MU.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I'll be pretty shocked if it also doesn't result in an alive Gwen Stacy in the post-Secret Wars MU.

I wonder if it'll be Spider-Gwen? Although one of the most interesting parts of that character was the world they set up around her.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dacap posted:

I wonder if it'll be Spider-Gwen? Although one of the most interesting parts of that character was the world they set up around her.
I feel like that'd be kind of a cop-out especially when they just gave her a solo starting in late February and hyped it up by not making it based in 616. If they do bring Gwen Stacy back to life, I'd prefer she be separate from Spider-Gwen. We also have a living Gwen in 1610 to use.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

So looks like that full reboot is more and more likely now isn't it? HA I loving knew it!

Marvel were changing up too many of their characters too quickly. In the end they just wanted a chance to throw everything at the wall to see what would stick before flushing it all down the toilet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It sounds more like a one off event more than anything if you turn on your bullshit filters. Like how Marvel and DC totally combined into Amalgam.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, it sounds more like they're going to end up keeping the majority of 616 proper and take the worthwhile stuff from the Ultimate U and give it a home there. Well, whatever it ends up being, I'm still excited given it's Hickman's swan song to Marvel for a while. Even if it ends up being less than great, it doesn't diminish the journey through his Avengers run getting there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, it's less a reboot and more like "Marvel's Crisis," from the sound of things.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wanderer posted:

"Marvel's Crisis,"

I remember when we had that. It was called...

SECRET WARS?! :wth:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SynthOrange posted:

It sounds more like a one off event more than anything if you turn on your bullshit filters. Like how Marvel and DC totally combined into Amalgam.

Sadly little chance of anything quite as fun as Amalgam coming out of this one.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Actually, the more I think about it, the more this reminds me of how they used the old Heroes Reborn thing to conveniently erase a bunch of silly poo poo they didn't want to deal with, like Janet van Dyne being a giant bug lady or the whole "teenage Tony Stark" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Didn't the X-Men used to be older? And weren't Wolverine and Professor X dead?" "Shut up, Deadpool"

• Locked thread