Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Cam Newton came and went and no programs were punished for the brazen recruiting violations involved in his transfer, if that can happen then Alabama will never get hit.

Danny Sheridan found the bagman he just couldn't release the name because of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Is there going to be a final CFP poll for the season, or are the final AP and Coaches' polls the last ones?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I forgot Mark Coleman #1 Ohioan

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

This one makes me extra mad because it is our lone SEC title in all of our existence. Not only that, but about half of our starting line up from that team went on to die in WWII, so we couldn't even build off of that success.

Always figured Hitler's finals words were "Roll Tide."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

Always figured Hitler's finals words were "Roll Tide."

Come out strong in the first half, middling third quarter, then rapidly disintegrate in the fourth? Sounds like Hitler is Sparty.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Sash! posted:

Come out strong in the first half, middling third quarter, then rapidly disintegrate in the fourth? Sounds like Hitler is Sparty.

Baylor disagrees.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
aced

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Slate Action posted:

Is there going to be a final CFP poll for the season, or are the final AP and Coaches' polls the last ones?

Ends with those two. I mean the NCAA Selection committee doesn't rerank the teams after the basketball tournament.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

anne frank fanfic posted:

the best feeling is probably when everyone hates your team cause you just won a championship

No, the best feeling is everyone already hating you and then winning a championship.

Neodoomium posted:

The best thing to ever come out of Ohio was Charles Woodson.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

gently caress. Okay, fine.

William Tecumseh Sherman
Jesse Owens
Charles Woodson.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone please explain this James Franklin quote to me. He spoke at a summit for GAs at the coaches convention and this is at least the 2nd or 3rd time he's said this:

quote:

It comes down to people and opportunities for growth. I always tell people to stay broke for as long as possible. When you have a car payment and other things like that, it becomes a factor. Keeping money out of it allows you to chase your dreams longer.

I just.... what? :psyduck:

E: Here's the whole thing, for whatever context you can make out of it.

On seeking an FBS job versus a job at a lower division:
Franklin: It comes down to people and opportunities for growth. I always tell people to stay broke for as long as possible. When you have a car payment and other things like that, it becomes a factor. Keeping money out of it allows you to chase your dreams longer. Young guys, and I was one of them, are so worried about handing out 1,000 business cards at conventions like this, and those aren’t the people that are going to get you hired. The guys you work with are going to fire you. You interview every single day. When I got to Penn State, I had guys that GA’d with me at Maryland wanting to interview. I told them, ‘I’ve already interviewed you.’

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Wow that's really poo poo-eating

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think he's trying to say that once you make "I need money" the driver, you're following money not your dreams. I don't think its good advice, but I think that's what he's trying to say. It sounds like one of those things someone with money says because they forgot what being broke was like.

Although my dream has always been "I want money and I don't care how I get it," so...

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

DJExile posted:

Someone please explain this James Franklin quote to me. He spoke at a summit for GAs at the coaches convention and this is at least the 2nd or 3rd time he's said this:

Franklin: It comes down to people and opportunities for growth. I always tell people to stay broke for as long as possible. When you have a car payment and other things like that, it becomes a factor. Keeping money out of it allows you to chase your dreams longer. Young guys, and I was one of them, are so worried about handing out 1,000 business cards at conventions like this, and those aren’t the people that are going to get you hired. The guys you work with are going to fire you. You interview every single day. When I got to Penn State, I had guys that GA’d with me at Maryland wanting to interview. I told them, ‘I’ve already interviewed you.’

So, uh, James Franklin is kind of a loving idiot. This reads like something Sarah Palin would say, and by that I mean it's an incomprehensible word vomit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

I think he's trying to say that once you make "I need money" the driver, you're following money not your dreams. I don't think its good advice, but I think that's what he's trying to say. It sounds like one of those things someone with money says because they forgot what being broke was like.

Although my dream has always been "I want money and I don't care how I get it," so...

I guess I can kinda see that but holy hell what an awkward way to put it.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
"stay broke for as long as possible" - a multi millionaire

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
So we're all agreed that the list of top Ohioans is

Nick Saban
William T Sherman
Jesse Owens
Mark Coleman
Neil Armstrong
Randy Savage
Ulysses S. Grant

And then there's a big gap and a second tier for people like Guy Fieri and Charles Woodson.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Does Dave chappelle count

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Between the scandal and Franklin's comments Penn State should just change their motto to "Mo' molestation, mo' problems"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

I think his point is that once you start "putting down roots" as it were, you start compromising the future for the present. If you want to climb the coaching ladder, you have to be willing to get fired a lot and change jobs often in order to get to the place you really want to be. Once you have car payments, a mortgage, and other obligations your priorities shift to security. Security means spending your life as a position coach at a Sun Belt school.

It's another way of saying "stay hungry."

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kittenmittons posted:

Between the scandal and Franklin's comments Penn State should just change their motto to "Mo' molestation, mo' problems"

"Mo lestation, mo problems."

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

"Mo lestation, mo problems."

:golfclap:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Going back to the NCAA stuff from yesterday. I wonder how the "Can't pull scholarships for athletics only reasons" will work in non-headcount sports. In wrestling, for example, coaches only have 9.9 scholarships to go around the whole team and it is understood that everyone's scholarship level is re-evaluated every year. Does that mean that coaches will no longer be able to do that?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Going back to the NCAA stuff from yesterday. I wonder how the "Can't pull scholarships for athletics only reasons" will work in non-headcount sports. In wrestling, for example, coaches only have 9.9 scholarships to go around the whole team and it is understood that everyone's scholarship level is re-evaluated every year. Does that mean that coaches will no longer be able to do that?

It was my impression that its football only, given all the talk about the Power 5 and such.

Found this in an article: "Group of Five and other non-football playing Division I conferences can opt to enact the proposals passed Saturday as early as next fall." So now I feel like...confused.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Nick Saban
William T Sherman
Jesse Owens
Mark Coleman
Neil Armstrong
Randy Savage
Ulysses S. Grant

And then there's a big gap and a second tier for people like Guy Fieri and Charles Woodson.

Guy Fieri was from Ohio? Yeesh.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Nick Saban
William T Sherman
Jesse Owens
Mark Coleman
Neil Armstrong
Randy Savage
Ulysses S. Grant

We're not all agreed. I do not agree. Consensus has not been reached.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Mark Coleman isn't ranked 1st so gently caress your list

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Mark Coleman wouldn't have had to recover from a nervous breakdown to march to Atlanta

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Charles Woodson is definitely the best Heisman winner in the Guy Fieri tier of Ohio folks.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am choosing to interpret your overwhelming saltiness toward Charles Woodson as some sort of jealousy, Dogg

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ohioans from before the 20th century shouldn't count, because Ohio was pretty different then and hadn't begun becoming Modern Ohio.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
List of awesome Ohioans and no Cardale Jones?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mahoning posted:

List of awesome Ohioans and no Cardale Jones?

Cardale Jones has been awesome for a few weeks. Not looking forward to JFF/Jameis disease setting in next season

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

He'll be fine as long as he doesn't start sexually assaulting people.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Altee Tenpenny transferring from Alabama to a non-SEC school. Everyone in Arkansas told him it was a mistake to go to Bama and it was a mistake to go to Bama. Got limited special teams reps in two years and wasn't even on the RB depth chart. Hopefully this will keep other kids from Arkansas from going there now though I'm still not sure how a school can put limitations on a players transfer like that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Altee Tenpenny transferring from Alabama to a non-SEC school. Everyone in Arkansas told him it was a mistake to go to Bama and it was a mistake to go to Bama. Got limited special teams reps in two years and wasn't even on the RB depth chart. Hopefully this will keep other kids from Arkansas from going there now though I'm still not sure how a school can put limitations on a players transfer like that.
Alabama recruited like three different five-star runningbacks that year, someone was gonna get screwed and they were all hoping it would be the other guy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Atlee Tenpenny?

In which Dickens classic is he a minor character?

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Schools put transfer limitations on players all the time. It's usually that the player must go to an out of conference team as well as teams not on the upcoming schedule. It's stupid.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sash! posted:

Atlee Tenpenny?

In which Dickens classic is he a minor character?
The life of an Alabama runningback was not an easy one.

(Not Dickens I know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

JT Jag posted:

Alabama recruited like three different five-star runningbacks that year, someone was gonna get screwed and they were all hoping it would be the other guy.

I know, and he actually wasn't really that great but he'd have two 1000 yard seasons at Arkansas.

Now it sounds like KJ Hill is decomitting from Arkansas which sucks.

• Locked thread