Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

The Rat posted:

Welp. Groot started crowing today. This whole time, I thought he was a hen. Surprise cock out of nowhere.

Oh yeah, clearly a rooboy. Handsome fellow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Rat posted:

Hard to say. When he first started developing, I noticed that the comb and wattles were both tiny, like his mom Crimson Typhoon, so I assumed he was a hen. Then today I was out feeding them and thought to myself, "Hey, Groot's starting to get sickle feathers on the tail, wonder if that's just from being half-Cochin or-" and then he interrupted me with a gargly-sounding crow and I went "aw, gently caress."

I'm no stranger to hens crowing, I mean we used to have a Polish that did that. So I guess we'll see!

He's saying "I am Food(t)".

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

He's saying "I am Food(t)".

:roflolmao:

Don't eat him though, really! He's too pretty to eat! Give him to me and I'll let him in with my GL Wyandotte and they'll make beautiful gold-and-black babies!

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Hide your chicks, hide your chicken wives.

Beware of severe bird flu in your backyard flocks and take preventative measures. It's a bad deal, mmk.

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 15, 2015

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Caught Groot crowing on video finally. And figured out how to add subtitles.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v495/rupert42/chickens/Groot.mp4

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

The Rat posted:

Caught Groot crowing on video finally. And figured out how to add subtitles.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v495/rupert42/chickens/Groot.mp4

LOVED your video and subtitle! Thank you, I needed a reason to smile today :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

So...you guys like ducks, right? Do you really, REALLY like them?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=716326088426605&pnref=story

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
:psyduck:

Where are they all going in such a hurry?

And why?

Also, Rat, Groot's crow is awesome :3 Thanks for making me laugh!

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.
Dark Brahmas!!! :woop:

After a couple years of searching and being on breeders' waiting lists, it finally paid off and I got a pair of show quality LF Darks! They are about 8 months old and arrived from Blue Hour Poultry yesterday:

The roo, Groot, is almost waist height to me when he's standing up. He's going to be HUGE! The pullet still doesn't have a name...

The penciling pattern on her is gorgeous though...

Unfortunately, I lost my Light Brahma roo over the summer, but he left behind some interesting offspring...

These two are out of a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

This is out of a Swedish Flower Hen. She basically looks like a crested Brahma.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^ Prreeetttttyy!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

SolanaSkyes posted:

Dark Brahmas!!! :woop:

Oh my goodness, beautiful! :swoon:

And those brahma mixes, too. SO PRETTY!

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Gorgeous Dark Brahmas, Bob (Blue Hour Poultry) is an awesome dude and a great breeder! Good luck with them in the future!

Came here to share this info on Avian Influenza, since there's so much rumor and misinformation out there http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AvianHealth/Docs/2014-AILyndenTownHall.pdf

Since that was compiled there has been at least one backyard flock confirmed in WA, and of course a couple in OR. But this can hit anyone that is near one of the migratory fly ways (which you can find via a Google search, phone posting so unable to do images). Basically be smart, don't let wild birds (ESPECIALLY waterfowl) mingle with your flock or share a pasture/water source with your flock and you'll be fine.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hey guys have you heard birds get sick I bet you haven't!

https://public.health.oregon.gov/DiseasesConditions/CommunicableDisease/DiseaseSurveillanceData/Influenza/Pages/zooflu.aspx

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Wow dude, sorry I see now somebody posted a link a few posts above mine.

There is a lot of misinformation and rumors out there though so reputable information is important. And it's not likely to remain just a northwest issue either.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

So...you guys like ducks, right? Do you really, REALLY like them?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=716326088426605&pnref=story

So many ducks! I am alternating between :psyduck: and :neckbeard:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My chicken feeders are startin to piss me off and I'm gonna set them on fire and it's gonna be great stress relief. Pretty bad for my lungs tho since they're pvc and I'm terrible at building Everything Ever.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

So many ducks! I am alternating between :psyduck: and :neckbeard:

My favorite part is 28 seconds in, where they all suddenly STOP, turn and stare at the building sign, like 'Is that the restaurant where we're supposed to meet Frank...? No, keep going, guys.'

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Little Roo, the rediculous little Bantam at tje farm I work, died today. We found him with his neck broke and a chunk taken out of him. I really hope it was not any of the farm cats that did this.

RIP you mad little feather ball. He lived in rooster heaven, ranging free and trying to boss around two fullsize hens. Just yesterday they were all taking a dust bath together in one of the horse stalls.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Suspect Bucket posted:

Little Roo, the rediculous little Bantam at tje farm I work, died today. We found him with his neck broke and a chunk taken out of him. I really hope it was not any of the farm cats that did this.

RIP you mad little feather ball. He lived in rooster heaven, ranging free and trying to boss around two fullsize hens. Just yesterday they were all taking a dust bath together in one of the horse stalls.

Ah, so sorry to hear that. :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Suspect Bucket posted:

So sorry about your Little Roo. His girls are mighty pretty though. Hope the gals are doing alright. I'm sure they miss him.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

piscesbobbie posted:

So sorry about your Little Roo. His girls are mighty pretty though. Hope the gals are doing alright. I'm sure they miss him.

They dont give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. So at least they are handling it well. We only had him 2 months. He was a rescue, some people found him wandering a not-chicken-friendly area of Jacksonville (youll usually only see gamecocks if anything, which he was obviously not). His spurs had been lopped off and he was in rough shape. They took him in and gave him a lot of TLC and loving, got him all better, and gave him to us. He loved to roam the yard and try to boss around the girls. It's so sad, we had never lost any yard birds before from predators.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Aw, that's too bad. I'm glad he at least got to free range with the ladies for a bit.

It sounds like a weasel, dog, or other 'sport killer' may have gotten him, since he wasn't eaten. Keep the girls safe, predators like to come back.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
RIP, Little Roo. :(

In sunnier news, my girls are finally laying again! Found two small eggs in the nest box yesterday and one today. Thank goodness, because we actually had to BUY eggs last month.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

This is how we all treat our chickens, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzrgLSj6Ym4

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Tim the Enchanter does... perhaps. ;)

Where's Tim been lately? I miss his reports on bathing chickens and poultry shows, plus his photos of his beautiful chickens.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hahahaha..... no.

I picked one of mine up today and gave her some love, though, and then I let them all go scratch in the leaves in the flowerbed and find grubs. They were very happy indeed.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I pick up mine, turn them upside down and hack off their feathers like a mean old bitch because I don't want them getting over the fence. They scream and fuss and I tell them to shut up. (then I give them shitloads of radishes, cranberries, raspberries and mealworms as rewards and they act like I'm an angel again. until next time.)

Kuromyneko
Aug 21, 2014

Kuro neko

I used to help with the chickens are school and always wanted to keep some at home but I dont have a huge garden or my own place yet so have to stick to dogs and cats :(.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I pick up mine, turn them upside down and hack off their feathers like a mean old bitch because I don't want them getting over the fence. They scream and fuss and I tell them to shut up. (then I give them shitloads of radishes, cranberries, raspberries and mealworms as rewards and they act like I'm an angel again. until next time.)

In another month I'm gonna shave the butts of mine. Good times.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kuromyneko posted:

I used to help with the chickens are school and always wanted to keep some at home but I dont have a huge garden or my own place yet so have to stick to dogs and cats :(.

Chickens take up way less space than a dog or a cat?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

In another month I'm gonna shave the butts of mine. Good times.

If I ever have to shave a chicken butt I'm breaking out the axe and somebody's gettin whacked.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If I ever have to shave a chicken butt I'm breaking out the axe and somebody's gettin whacked.

I think that Tim The Enchanter used an old-school guillotine-type paper cutter on his, the way their butts were so cleanly cut off. Vito was horrifyingly funny.

Kuromyneko
Aug 21, 2014

Kuro neko

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Chickens take up way less space than a dog or a cat?

But keeping chicken in the house is a bad idea I guess? :cheeky:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Kuromyneko posted:

But keeping chicken in the house is a bad idea I guess? :cheeky:

Chicken diapers! Or keep them in a room with easily cleaned floors. They do poop everywhere (like all birds do).

Don't forget about the 50 chickens that lived in Velvet Sparrow and 12_String's dining room for a week. Anything can be done! :henget:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

So we've got several hens that know Spring is coming, they are getting a bit broody. Rambo the buff Brahma and Pompadour the gray Giant Cochin are both a bit bossy. They run up to me, tug on my pant leg, fluff up and cluck, showing off their broodiness. Nothing better then giant, heavy hens clucking in that deep voice of theirs, so cute. :keke:

I'm hoping that Rambo can be a broody mama for Chickam this year, she'd be awesome even for a first-time mom.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Eeee, broody hens and chickam plans, yay! :3 It's good to know that the chickens can see spring coming... mine were PISSED this morning because it snowed again! That chicken rage, man. So much stinkeye.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

eggs eggs eggs eggs eggs...

I ordered me some eggies today. :neckbeard:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What breeds?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What breeds?

VS posted the breeds over in the Chickam thread. :D

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3565472&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#lastpost

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yay it's almost tiiiiiiiiiime again!

I just pre-ordered some turkey poults and a dozen new chicks. I think they'll be here sometime in March or so, but I haven't heard back from the hatchery yet.

So far, of our original 6 hens, we've lost 2. That's not too bad considering we live in the woods and they free-range. Not sure what got the last hen; I found her under the boat trailer, just her neck bloody and a lot of feathers around. We figure it was probably a hawk since it was broad daylight, and all whatever it was had done was wring/ruin her neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Eeeeee, Chickam! :henget:

I can't order any more birds so I'm going to live vicariously through all of you, especially VS with her amazing webcam. :3