Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Well, at least they left a note. I have no idea how they managed to hit both lights on this side without leaving any additional damage. Hopefully I don't find some when I pull them out to swap the parts out.

For reference, it's supposed to look like this:

Cool, since this is a one-year-only tail light, it's NLA from Nissan. :tizzy: The reverse lens on the trunk "may" also be NLA.

Surprisingly, RockAuto had a tail light listed for the '98 (with no picture). We'll see if it's the right one.

Sort of amazed that Nissan doesn't have that stuff in stock, I've seen guys with much older and presumably rarer JDMs wander on down to the local Nissan dealer and scoop up ancient parts. I was even along for the ride a few weeks ago when a guy I know was getting NOS parts for his '71 240Z.

Nissan had kind of a reputation in my mind for keeping tons of old poo poo around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A guy I know somehow got a VVT pulley for a pre-facelift s14 silvia from the dealer at a reasonable price. So Nissan are pretty good that way yeah.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

A guy I know somehow got a VVT pulley for a pre-facelift s14 silvia from the dealer at a reasonable price. So Nissan are pretty good that way yeah.

Try getting a headlight or taillight for a face life S14...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

When my S14 gas tank developed a crack and leak, they got me a new one in 2 days from another warehouse, with free shipping to their parts department. I had to do some haggling to get a fair price like what Courtesy Nissan sold it for, though.

The little evap emissions piece that allows pressure to release into the charcoal canister that we broke, however-- that took a month to arrive from Japan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Try getting a headlight or taillight for a face life S14...

This car is a facelift. It's also one of the biggest turds I've ever seen, terrible bodykit, paint with bog visibly everywhere and poo poo just falling apart in general. The guy thinks that just because it's a factory manual (not turbo) he can get, like, eight grand for it bro.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Nissan had kind of a reputation in my mind for keeping tons of old poo poo around.

I can't get jack poo poo in wear items for my '05 Sentra (siiiighhhhh) SE-R SpecV. Floor mats and seat covers seem especially loving stupid to have run out of, but here we are. Then again, the parts department guy looked at the exact same diagram I did and came up with the idea that there were no lights behind the HVAC panel (part number 27545 on the diagram, twenty five goddamn dollars each), so I'm not really sure how much trust I'd put in a dealership employee to find me parts. Your results may vary, of course.

That said, I AM pretty sure I can still get replacement stick-on wing badges. :iiam:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nah, I gave the parts desk person the VIN and part numbers. There's no way they can gently caress that up, they're not any of my three local Subaru dealers after all.

If anyone here works at a Nissan dealer I could always use a fact check though. PM me.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

This car is a facelift. It's also one of the biggest turds I've ever seen, terrible bodykit, paint with bog visibly everywhere and poo poo just falling apart in general. The guy thinks that just because it's a factory manual (not turbo) he can get, like, eight grand for it bro.

Hey I sold my '98 240 with 115k miles for 9 grand in 2004. It was a base model with 14" wheels and automatic transmission with some minor paint and body damage from the PO. I have no problem taking advantage of idiots with their parent's money.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Someone at work is offering me essentially a free van. (Was her daily driver before she got her current car.) Runs, but she wants to get a radiator leak fixed, as well a lube/fluid change done before handing it off. Still has valid registration, not wrecked or anything.

The terrible thing?

I'm too broke to actually afford gas/reg/insurance for at least another month, and don't have a safe place to leave it. :smithicide:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What kinda van?

Can always flip it to a local band looking to start touring.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Uthor posted:

What kinda van?

Can always flip it to a local band looking to start touring.

Possibly free - probably a minivan of some sort, I don't think she had a full-size.

I'm really tempted to accept and just park it at work, and rotate through the available parking for a while. What could go wrong, leaving it in the Downtown Hobo Infestation Zone? :zombie:

(I really desperately want it - been without wheels for a while now, and wasn't planning to even *look* until next year or so.)

(drat, long-term parking at the airport is even pricier than renting a spot at the RV/boat storage yard.)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I really desperately want it - been without wheels for a while now

Double down and figure it out because times like this don't come often or ever.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I'm really tempted to accept and just park it at work, and rotate through the available parking for a while. What could go wrong, leaving it in the Downtown Hobo Infestation Zone? :zombie:

You want to watch out for what they call the Soup Kitchen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1j4mK6cs_A

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Of course its parked in front of Wal Mart.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks incredibly well done I must admit. I imagine it has absolutely rooted the structure of the car though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

it would look a lot better with the back end of a newer S10.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Of all the cars in the world, why an RX-8?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Someone had an RX-8 with rear-end damage and the bed of an S10, probably. I doubt they started with two perfectly good vehicles.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

MetaJew posted:

The little evap emissions piece that allows pressure to release into the charcoal canister that we broke, however-- that took a month to arrive from Japan.

Wait wait wait, you didn't "overnight parts from Japan"?! :rice:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Safety Dance posted:

Of all the cars in the world, why an RX-8?

...it's not like you can make them uglier.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

El Jebus posted:

Wait wait wait, you didn't "overnight parts from Japan"?! :rice:

Slow boated it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

88h88 posted:

Harsh, dude

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

88h88 posted:

This is actually kinda true though TBH. I do not find this particular example to be significantly less visually attractive than a normal RX-8. Which is saying a lot because holy crap this is ugly... and I'd never thought about the aesthetics of a normal RX-8 before, but come to think of it they're actually pretty ugly. Not in an in-your-face "aesthetic statement against all that is car" kind of way like a Juke or something, just... thanks but no thanks, I'll take one of those awful 90's Camaros. They actually look pretty sleek, truck engine or not.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I kind of want one.
I wonder if's got a GM motor in it or is a rotary pickup though.
A new dual cab RPU would be cool, an ugly GM ute would not be E: may as well get a commodore ute (they sell a crewman version in dual cab too).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 19, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Friar Zucchini posted:

This is actually kinda true though TBH. I do not find this particular example to be significantly less visually attractive than a normal RX-8. Which is saying a lot because holy crap this is ugly... and I'd never thought about the aesthetics of a normal RX-8 before, but come to think of it they're actually pretty ugly. Not in an in-your-face "aesthetic statement against all that is car" kind of way like a Juke or something, just... thanks but no thanks, I'll take one of those awful 90's Camaros. They actually look pretty sleek, truck engine or not.

We've discussed the RX8 before and my case for it being a bit poo poo purely on aesthetics is the fact that it's so by the numbers, it's boring. There's elements of it that are really cool but they've pulled it off in the most visually mundane manner possible.

...that said, I did take a look at what other cars were released in 2003 and it seems it wasn't a good year for car design.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
This Hellcat driver is pretty terrible car stuff.

http://youtu.be/kG6veF_34QE?t=1m4s

The best (worst) part is the comments. Elitist uninformed idiots against snobby grammatically incorrect uninformed asshats. You can label each side of the argument as you see fit.

The Challenger starts to actually accelerate just as the Tesla crosses the lights.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BoostCreep posted:

The best (worst) part is the comments. Elitist uninformed idiots against snobby grammatically incorrect uninformed asshats. You can label each side of the argument as you see fit.

The Challenger starts to actually accelerate just as the Tesla crosses the lights.

To be fair to the Tesla: Its a pretty damned powerful car if you disable the traction control:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EawqeL6qXGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCdP6sMN9k

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 20, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

Not gonna read the youtube comments, but I saw that too. Still, the hellcat is supposed to only bench race 0.3s or something quicker with a good driver, and the Tesla doesn't require any launch skills really, as the computers manage the torque output.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BoostCreep posted:

Haha is he just standing on the pedal wondering why he's not going anywhere and where all that smoke is coming from? What did he think was going to happen?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

No, he redlighted and said gently caress it, Imma burn some tires.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wallaka posted:

No, he redlighted and said gently caress it, Imma burn some tires.

Oh, yeah, I missed that. Rock on. Not really anything controversial about that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh dear. Oh no oh no oh no. HELL. NO.

note the backed-off tie rod end nut at the bottom end of the shitman arm and the incredibly long shackles on a front leaf sprung suspension, as well.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

88h88 posted:

...that said, I did take a look at what other cars were released in 2003 and it seems it wasn't a good year for car design.

Most things designed between about ~1998-2004 have aged really, really, badly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nah, I gave the parts desk person the VIN and part numbers. There's no way they can gently caress that up, they're not any of my three local Subaru dealers after all.

If anyone here works at a Nissan dealer I could always use a fact check though. PM me.

I'm sure we could have a great discussion about the people working in the parts department at the subaru dealers here. My blood pressure shoots through the roof every time I think I might have to call them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

note the backed-off tie rod end nut at the bottom end of the shitman arm and the incredibly long shackles on a front leaf sprung suspension, as well.

How are those shackles not folding in half?!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't ever go to a dealer unless I already have the part numbers. You can look them up on sites like opposedforces. We had the subaru fast software at the last shop I worked for and it's pretty handy. I've seen the old version floating around subuaru sites before.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
poo poo, the lack of info on Ducati parts made me write a program to extract the part numbers / diagrams from 260+ PDFs, dump it into a database, and throw together a PHP front end to make it easier.
http://www.desmoduck.com

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kastein posted:

What witchcraft is keeping that from snapping in half? :psyduck:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Code Jockey posted:

I'm hoping that photo was taken just before they started driving on it. The welds look pretty clean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Code Jockey posted:

Luck.