Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

fronz posted:

in Japan I guess? What's the usual delay between them getting it and us getting it?

With this new batch of DLC very short, it was a pleasant surprise. They announce a lot of the songs way in advance though, i think TWEWY is still announced and not actually out? Not sure.

Initially I thought DLC for a music game to music they own was bullshit but honestly having these other series in made the difference to me.

Paper Triangle posted:

I don't own Theatrythm (might grab it soon though) but I can't believe Liberi Fatali is only just now being added but I guess VIII is not exactly a beloved entry in the franchise.

That was a lovely run-on sentence but whatever.
The songs are seperated into Field music (world map, dungeons and towns), Battle music (Fights), and Event music (iconic FMVs playing in the background). Liberi Fatali should've fallen under Event which is probably why they waited but it seems like they abandoned that concept in general, Curtain Call took out a lot of the events and made them battle music.

Also the new batch of DLC is just a good reason to go play the game some more after forgetting about it with all the recent releases. It's more fun than a FF rhythm game should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was referring to BD as that's the only handheld I can think of that SE put out recently that is mostly good ideas, but one really bad idea makes it bad in the eyes of a lot of people. No, I do not consider TWEWY recent.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Theatrythm is a good game, like not just a good game because it has FF music in it but I think it's a good rhythm game. I think the way you play it is good and when you play an ultimate score and get into the groove it's like every other good rhythm game in that you're just on autopilot and doing things not before thought humanly possible and then for one split second the thought creeps into your mind, "wait what the gently caress is going on? how am I doing this?" and you immediately gently caress up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I was referring to BD as that's the only handheld I can think of that SE put out recently that is mostly good ideas, but one really bad idea makes it bad in the eyes of a lot of people. No, I do not consider TWEWY recent.

TWEWY is like seven and a half years old now and that feels really wrong to me.

edit: And because I have a dumb sense of humor it still amuses me to read the game abbreviate itself as "WEWY" when everybody calls it "TWEWY".

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 18, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tactics Ogre for the PSP is somewhat recent and also was done by SE

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tactics Ogre with the great crafting system and class leveling

wait a second

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Motto posted:

TWEWY is like seven and a half years old now and that feels really wrong to me.

edit: And because I have a dumb sense of humor it still amuses me to read the game abbreviate itself as "WEWY" when everybody calls it "TWEWY".

They actually changed that for the iOS / Android versions, I guess they figured out that WEWY looked super goofy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

wait a second

Still a great game. BD too, though yeah, that one crappy thing...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fister Roboto posted:

So does anything ever come of Alyssa trying to gently caress you over, beyond that paradox ending? She's not in the ending so I guess Hope dealt with her offscreen.

Not like it matters though since everyone is dead haha

noel and caius show up in lightning returns, and every other character from 13-2 is loving dead.

also hope is a kid again

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Basically nothing in FF13-2 actually mattered and the exact same poo poo would have happened if Lightning just killed Caius herself in the opening.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Basically nothing in FF13-2 actually mattered and the exact same poo poo would have happened if Lightning just killed Caius herself in the opening.

I thought about this for a moment because I was sure there must've been something any of the characters did that actually mattered, but no. You're absolutely right.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Both FF13-2 and LR really add nothing to the story FF13 established except explaining to you in cutscenes stuff that was in a codex, especially LR.

Still love LR though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The XIII series has a very small group of characters who are the only ones who matter in the universe, and who keep bumping into each other in different time periods.

Also, Sazh has had his kid stolen for three games in a row. He might as well give up because the writers fate has only one idea of what to do with him.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

That loving Sned posted:

The XIII series has a very small group of characters who are the only ones who matter in the universe, and who keep bumping into each other in different time periods.

Also, Sazh has had his kid stolen for three games in a row. He might as well give up because the writers fate has only one idea of what to do with him.

Vanille and Fang are over 1600 years old by the time Lightning Returns happens. It's ridiculous.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

Vanille and Fang are over 1600 years old by the time Lightning Returns happens. It's ridiculous.

No-one visibly ages in the series either, except for Hope (but like Sora he is turned back into a kid again for no reason), and technically Chocolina.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Instant Grat posted:

It's nice that Fang at least acknowledges it by first stating the math behind it and then declaring she's the "oldest hag on the planet".

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Beef Waifu posted:

It always felt strange for me to think of Bravely Default as a Square-Enix game. Much of the design and development was done at Silicon Studio. Producer Tomoya Asano, lead artist Akihiko Yoshida, the CGI movie team, and some localization team were the only SE people to work on it. It never got much support from SE and it had to be published by Nintendo in overseas regions.

Speaking of Silicon Studio, the company is going public. While many people know them for Bravely Default, they have made several social/mobile games, including hit card-based/role-playing/tower defense game Fantasica, and provide middleware tools for their development partners. The Agni's Philosophy tech demo and the Luminous Engine used some of their middleware for their effects. They also have a middleware game engine aimed at Windows and mobile platforms. They might become the Japanese equivalent to Epic Games one day.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tae posted:

wait a second

You making GBS threads on Tactics Ogre? Because I'll throw down

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a good game with a lovely crafting and class levelling system. (still better than the levelling system in the PS1 version though)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a good game with a lovely crafting and class levelling system. (still better than the levelling system in the PS1 version though)

You can ignore the crafting entirely if you want and even though the leveling system's not great you've got enough depth of character customization to keep things interesting. TO is a Very Good Game

e: gently caress some of the sidequests though. Never getting Cassandra again, that's for sure

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

in Lightning Returns, Hope tells you that the protagonists from the games have seen and done a shitton more than anyone else in the world so their souls count more. which is why you only have to do their quests to get to the end of the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

She's erased from existence when her paradox is resolved. It's mentioned very briefly in Lightning Returns

Wait what? But she was alive before all the time fuckery started.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fungah! posted:

You can ignore the crafting entirely if you want and even though the leveling system's not great you've got enough depth of character customization to keep things interesting. TO is a Very Good Game

e: gently caress some of the sidequests though. Never getting Cassandra again, that's for sure

tactics ogre knight of lodis is a cool game

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

I'm now 100% certain that he's supposed to be Michael from LOST.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

tactics ogre knight of lodis is a cool game

Maaaan, that's the only one I haven't played. Guessing it's not on the virtual console?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fungah! posted:

Maaaan, that's the only one I haven't played. Guessing it's not on the virtual console?

not sure, but gba games dont make it to vc very often.

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Wait what? But she was alive before all the time fuckery started.

No she wasn't. She was a paradox. That is the reason why she betrays you in the first place. Because she knows that if the paradoxes get fixed she dies. She originally died during the Purge at the start of FFXIII.

Edit: It's worth remembering that the time fuckery starts at the end of FFXIII, not anytime afterwards, it just takes time for the poo poo to become drastic. Thanks, Etro.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 18, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh god so that one joke answer wasn't a joke all along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

FFXIII-2 in a nutshell.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

not sure, but gba games dont make it to vc very often.

lol

This looks exactly like FFTA to me...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

forbidden lesbian posted:

This looks exactly like FFTA to me...

That's because FFTA used Tactics Ogre as a base to work off of. Unlike FFTA, Tactics Ogre is actually good.

Plus Knight of Lodis still has all the fun stuff like Snapdragon though I don't recall if you can reanimate/retissue to break combat as badly as you could in the original SFC/PSX game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, it is the game where "Scream at Hope across time" is the correct answer for a given choice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Well, it is the game where "Scream at Hope across time" is the correct answer for a given choice.

I unironically love this dumb game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's because FFTA used Tactics Ogre as a base to work off of. Unlike FFTA, Tactics Ogre is actually good.

Plus Knight of Lodis still has all the fun stuff like Snapdragon though I don't recall if you can reanimate/retissue to break combat as badly as you could in the original SFC/PSX game.

I like FFTA and you know what, I don't care that i'm the only person who does

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
game has sweet bunny assassins and people want me to think its bad!?! gently caress that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's a good game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ffta is good

marche and montblanc fantasy buddy cops

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FFTA is good, it's just worse than FFT in every single way.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I made had Marche as a Ninja/Paladin who dual wielded Save the Queen and Excalibur.

FFTA is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FFTA is alright, but FFTA2 is much better in every way (unless you prefer the "Marche is the villain" version of the story).