Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

I appreciate that you are trying to help, and keep me from making a costly mistake, but ya'll need to step the intensity back a couple steps.
I've had inspections done, and I am getting a lawyer to look over the contract before anything is signed.
There is a fine line between "protecting yourself" and " everyone is out to gently caress you"

I'm not a goon in a well, so I'd appreciate dialing back the hostility a bit.

So you are at best dribbling in relevant information or at worst making it up as you go along like it's already been taken care of based on the suggestions given (lease....or wait, it's lease to buy, oh yeah of course I already had it inspected, oh right, it's got city water too......)

This isn't how you ask a question if your goal is to get helpful answers.

So why is it that you are asking? Do you just want to post about what you are buying, or are you actually looking for advice? If so, specifically what kind of advice, because so far you seem to be pretty hostile towards any of it that you have gotten. Or are you hostile toward the advice because you are being told good information that should be telling you "run away" when what you really wanted was some validation that this horrible sounding deal is going to work out in your favor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That "rent-lease" agreement sounds like the worst of all worlds. If you told us you were paying a condo association fee, I'd be able to finish my terrible ideas in real estate BINGO card.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
"I'm not a goon in a well!" can only mean one thing, just like "Look, I know what I'm talking about!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm not a goon in a well
Well obviously, it's capped.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I really think the only issue is that Johnny Aztec hasn't given us a bunch of information that is relevant.
poo poo like:
-why buy like this instead of a conventional purchase?
-what is the actual nature of the property and the home and the well?
-what have you already done? What do you plan to do? We can't tell you what you've overlooked unless you are comprehensive and complete
-every other detail that I can't even guess might be relevant until you give it

The really general question you actually asked was, are any of us familiar with this "one year Rent-Lease Agreement" and the answer is, no, probably because that's not what it's called. Also probably the specifics of your contract are far more important than the general notion of such a contract. We don't even know what state you're in, and state laws are paramount when it comes to real estate.

The "hostility" comes from the general theme of people who are super-excited about their real estate "investment" but can't or are unable to hear advice about what risks they're taking or (especially) that they should walk away from the deal they're considering despite sunk costs. It happens often enough that the default assumption when someone comes in asking really basic questions is that they belong to this group of people. Being really vague about your actual situation and trickling out details in a brief excessively casual way is also frustrating respondents, and it's natural for them to assume that this is evidence that you have no idea what you are doing.

Post details and ask specific questions or you're not going to get helpful or even friendly advice.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Splizwarf posted:

"I'm not a goon in a well!" can only mean one thing, just like "Look, I know what I'm talking about!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5mas-GNJ80

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'm really sad at how long it took me to figure out what the heck this was .. and also that no one else has mentioned it. That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

I think everyone else in the thread is hoping if they don't mention it, like a bad dream it will just go away.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, the most Russian thing about that photo isn't the Cyrillic text, it's the wallpaper.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do you think the bathtub is filled in halfway as well? WE'LL NEVER KNOW.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, the most Russian thing about that photo isn't the Cyrillic text, it's the wallpaper.

If this is the case then I've lived in some extremely Russian houses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Y'know, honestly I'd totally go for a bathtub setup like that, if it weren't for that a) it'd be utterly and totally against code, and b) in my case it'd mean a protrusion in the wall most of the way up the stairwell.

There's not enough room for a proper bathtub in my house's bathrooms, and that makes me sad.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Y'know, honestly I'd totally go for a bathtub setup like that, if it weren't for that a) it'd be utterly and totally against code, and b) in my case it'd mean a protrusion in the wall most of the way up the stairwell.

There's not enough room for a proper bathtub in my house's bathrooms, and that makes me sad.

Totally with you, I think there's a good idea lurking in there somewhere. A bathtub under a flight of stairs maybe. Just needs to be implemented with a bit less vodka and duct tape.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I just wish they had put a sink in that vanity draining right into the tub.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

SynthOrange posted:

Do you think the bathtub is filled in halfway as well? WE'LL NEVER KNOW.

I'd like to hope half of it goes under that thing, so you have to carefully sit into it like a race car or an F-16 cockpit. I admit I'd try it out at least once if I was there.

My big question, is it a bathtub only or a shower too? And if it's a shower, which side of the wall is it on? Damnit I must know.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

For those with archives: Analogous Thread Summary Theater!

edit:

It's just text anyway posted:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's a good reason why that well was capped.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

There's a good reason why that well was capped.

Obviously. Have you seen Ringu?

nullpointer
Dec 7, 2002

Once upon a time, I turned gay. The end.
Not well talk but I noticed a lack of good honest to goodness spray foam talk lately. All this time suckers have been wasting precious wood and screw keeping the shower pipe attached to the wall when all you REALLY need was some spray foam. Picture is a little blurry but you might recognize the manufactured joist, they were also used to create the fence but that's another post.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At least it's not load bearing spray foam.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Hey that's a great idea .. I've got a few cans of foam around here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If foam could take a finish you can bet someone would have built a house out of it by now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

If foam could take a finish you can bet someone would have built a house out of it by now.

You rang? :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Apparently you've never been to most anywhere in Alaska. Foam IS a finish.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

:eyepop: that tree

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Oh god dammit. :cripes:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Here's another project with a pretty good finish

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Haha oh man, I grew up the town over from it. Sadly never went through it though. Mostly just designed as a tourist attraction, complemented other tourist places such as Robot World (since renamed -- http://www.tommybartlett.com/exploratory/). Pretty sure it's been destroyed for more profitable tourist traps now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

It may not fit your definition of "proper", but you might try looking into a Japanese-style tub (shorter but higher/deeper, you just sit a bit more scrunched up, which I actually preferred). I had a tiny studio apartment when I lived there and it had one integrated into the shower, I'd take an occasional soak when my back was acting up.

(This photo is a fancier version, but you get the idea.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It may not fit your definition of "proper", but you might try looking into a Japanese-style tub (shorter but higher/deeper, you just sit a bit more scrunched up, which I actually preferred). I had a tiny studio apartment when I lived there and it had one integrated into the shower, I'd take an occasional soak when my back was acting up.

Hm, neat. Dunno that I'm up to renovating either of my bathrooms right now, but it's worth keeping in mind; thanks!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bad Munki posted:

Apparently you've never been to most anywhere in Alaska. Foam IS a finish.

Ukraine too, I saw a lot of houses and individual condo-balcony-enclosure-addition things just with rigid foam insulation as the exterior.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Can the average floor support that if it is not on a slab? Seems like it might almost double the sq ft load over a normal tub? Pure speculation on my part though.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
The average floor in this thread?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Can the average floor support that if it is not on a slab? Seems like it might almost double the sq ft load over a normal tub? Pure speculation on my part though.

Not sure, mine was built in to an all-in-one combo unit; tub on the left side, main shower on the right. Basically something like this, but double-wide and with a low wall forming a tub down the middle.

AFAIK it was sitting on the wood subfloor like the rest of the fixtures, although my only access to under the subfloor was a pretty small hole on the other side of the apartment, so couldn't say for sure.

Assholio
Sep 13, 2004

okay
So we are going to be scratch building a house here in Wisconsin soon, just south of Madison. The builder we are using (http://www.veridianhomes.com) had a horrible rep a number of years ago, but appear to have cleaned up their act.

One of the things I was looking forward to was swinging by the house (not every day or anything, I'm not a spaz) and checking on progress. In our homeowner manual it says that we have 6 pre-scheduled visits with the rep from the builder, but we are not permitted to drop by unannounced. Worst case, they want 24 hours notice to have a rep from the builder there, citing safety concerns.

We have been in a few of the models and a couple 90% homes, and the quality seems to be fine. However- after reading some posts about shoddy build quality (new construction) in the Midwest I am sort of worried about getting a sub-par house. :ohdear:

While not being novices to the whole owning a home thing, this is our first home together and I'm a little concerned.

Is there anything I should be looking out for, or things I should be asking about to save myself a huge headache in the future? The guy we are dealing with is a fairly straight-up guy, but I've seen the depths people can stoop to. :devil:

Assholio fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 18, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
24 hour notice thing scares the crap out of me, but that's just me I guess.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Just show up outside work hours.

Assholio
Sep 13, 2004

okay
That's sort of what I was thinking. I guess if I do find anything amiss I will just skirt around the issue of how I found out. :ninja:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
If there isn't already, there should be a service where you can hire an inspector to monitor a home being built on behalf of the owners. They should have the awareness and ability to deal with issues before they are hidden or costly to deal with.
Don't know how you could keep him neutral in the process though as city inspectors seem hit or miss as well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Would you be buying the lot before construction begins?

If so, they can go to hell with their no unannounced visits requirement. Just do it outside of working hours, it is your property.

Also, I am not sure why you would go with a company that used to be lovely... that and the no unannounced visits thing don't give me a good feeling about their trustworthyness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

24 hour notice thing scares the crap out of me, but that's just me I guess.

If the stories from my coworkers building new homes are anything to go by, it's not like they'll even bother to hide anything in those 24 hours.

One guy had his basement drain plastered and tiled over. When he complained, they then proceeded to drill test holes into his tile floor until they found the drain. Then they egged out the drain hole and spackled the incorrect guesses.