Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

No one who buys PVMs could be an evil man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The last time I sold a piece of electronics on Craigslist, I just threw one of my UPSes in the trunk and we booted the thing up right in a parking lot. :science:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Tyson Tomko posted:

I showed my wife the video last night and the first thing she said was "those guys are adorable!"
That's awesome. Sunday I'll have the Tetris video up. It's gonna be a treat :)

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I GOT MY FRAMEMEISTER!!

My Genesis looks amazing! I first thought I had a latency issue but soon realized that my original pack-in controller's A and B buttons aren't very responsive anymore. I have to push down hard for anything to register. Any ideas? Dammit, I need new controllers and want a Mega Everdrive now. This thing is sweet!

edit: n/m opened it up and took a q-tip with 99% iso to the contacts. Works like new now :D

Housh fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 17, 2015

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

xamphear posted:

The last time I sold a piece of electronics on Craigslist, I just threw one of my UPSes in the trunk and we booted the thing up right in a parking lot. :science:

That is brilliant.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I posted these in the eShop thread and someone said I should repost 'em here, so while I'm guessing most of you have read them and already understand how great M2 is at what they do, here they are again:

Sega/M2 developer interviews for the Sega 3D Classics series, including 3D Afterburner 2 which was just released outside of Japan:

(upcoming games: Outrun, Fantasy Zone, Fantasy Zone 2 DX, Thunder Blade)

Space Harrier:
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/11/25/sega-3d-classics-space-harrier-3d-interview-with-developer-m2/

Super Hang-On:
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/11/27/sega-3d-classics-%e2%80%93-3d-super-hang-on-interview-with-developer-m2/

Sonic the Hedgehog:
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/03/sega-3d-classics-%e2%80%93-3d-sonic-the-hedgehog-interview-with-developer-m2/

Altered Beast:
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/05/sega-3d-classics-%e2%80%93-3d-altered-beast-interview-with-developer-m2/

Ecco the Dolphin:
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/10/sega-3d-classics-%e2%80%93-3d-ecco-the-dolphin-interview-with-developer-m2/

Galaxy Force 2:
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/12/sega-3d-classics-%e2%80%93-galaxy-force-ii-interview-with-developer-m2/

Shinobi 3:
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/17/sega-3d-classics-%e2%80%93-3d-shinobi-iii-interview-with-developer-m2/

Streets of Rage:
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/23/sega-3d-classics-%E2%80%93-3d-streets-of-rage-interview-with-developer-m2/

Afterburner 2:
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/01/12/sega-3d-classics-3d-afterbunner-ii-%E2%80%93-a-classic-reborn-part-1/
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/01/13/sega-3d-classics-3d-afterbunner-ii-%E2%80%93-a-classic-reborn-part-2/

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The fact that they recorded the actual mechanical sounds of the motors and buttons and other moving parts in the arcade machines just puts a big dumb grin on my face. Bought 3DABII as soon as I could yesterday and have played with those sounds turned on and it's totally unnecessary but totally rad.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

xamphear posted:

When I moved, 7 years ago? we loaded my DDR machine into a U-haul, tossed a UPS back there, strapped it all down and played an entire set while driving across town. :science: :science:

The battery died near the end of the last song, plunging us into darkness. :shobon:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay money for these, but this is neat nonetheless:

Hamster Corp, the company that owns the catalogues of Jaleco, Nichibutsu and others, has been releasing old pre-smartphone mobile games on PS Mobile under the "Appli Archives" brand and they can be purchased worldwide on PSM-compatible devices, including Vita. Most of the games are terrible ports of arcade games and/or straight-up shovelware but it's still cool to see someone making an effort to preserve these old galapagos games in some fashion.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 17, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I still want to play this version of Valis sometime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-oSs8rhfbY

So hell yea porting weird mobile stuff.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay money for these, but this is neat nonetheless:

Hamster Corp, the company that owns the catalogues of Jaleco, Nichibutsu and others, has been releasing old pre-smartphone mobile games on PS Mobile under the "Appli Archives" brand and they can be purchased worldwide on PSM-compatible devices, including Vita. Most of the games are terrible ports of arcade games and/or straight-up shovelware but it's still cool to see someone making an effort to preserve these old galapagos games in some fashion.

Doom RPG was ported to iOS and that's all that matters :colbert:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

flyboi posted:

Doom RPG was ported to iOS and that's all that matters :colbert:

Did they bring the first one over? The sequel sucked, but the first was fun.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chainclaw posted:

Did they bring the first one over? The sequel sucked, but the first was fun.

Unfortunately not :saddowns:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's been mentioned a couple times now but here's some footage of the latest version of gasega68k's "mode 7" Mega Drive homebrew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCxu_dWOMW4

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
So I'm making a steady pace through Rockman 3 (only playing bits at a time, saving passwords when I've had enough), and have all 8 Robot masters done.

Can I talk about how much I hate the 4 Doc Man stages, specifically, Needle Man's bullshit Rush Jet-required part of the level? Because I loathe it. I might cheat and max out E-Tanks, because this poo poo is painful.

Just hitting a snag in the middle of my conquest to beat all 6 Rockman Famicom games. :sigh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

So I'm making a steady pace through Rockman 3 (only playing bits at a time, saving passwords when I've had enough), and have all 8 Robot masters done.

Can I talk about how much I hate the 4 Doc Man stages, specifically, Needle Man's bullshit Rush Jet-required part of the level? Because I loathe it. I might cheat and max out E-Tanks, because this poo poo is painful.

Just hitting a snag in the middle of my conquest to beat all 6 Rockman Famicom games. :sigh:

Don't forget that the Rush Jet only loses energy when you're standing on it. Jump constantly to make it last forever.

My latest obscure game purchase is Circus Caper for the NES, which the label promises me is "the greatest game on earth". I wouldn't take PT Barnum's word for it, but it's amusing and all but forgotten.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just skipped nearly 4k posts in this thread (i shamefully haven't kept up after discovering the 3ds, but I plan to remedy that), so forgive me if its been posted, but is anyone going to the Midwest gaming classic this year?

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/buy-tickets/

I missed it last year, but I'm going this time dammit! And I'm going to get all hella manner of 3ds street passes too :huh:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Random Stranger posted:

My latest obscure game purchase is Circus Caper for the NES, which the label promises me is "the greatest game on earth". I wouldn't take PT Barnum's word for it, but it's amusing and all but forgotten.

Man, gently caress this game. I've beaten it when I was a kid. But it's pretty bad.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget that the Rush Jet only loses energy when you're standing on it. Jump constantly to make it last forever.

Circus Caper looks and feels like a game that was released circa 1986. I could not believe it came out mid-1990. Granted it was out about a year earlier in Japan, but still. It's got a little bit of that early NES game charm where everything is too drat hard and just a little broken.

RadicalR posted:

Man, gently caress this game. I've beaten it when I was a kid. But it's pretty bad.

Yep. I've nearly beaten it by abusing a level skip trick where you jump up into the top left corner of the screen at the start of each stage. Forget how it's done, but I want to say you need to pick up an item (brick?) that enemies drop?

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Anyone have a handle on Virtual Boy (console, stand, visor, controller, etc.) values these days? Price Charting and eBay seem to be all over the place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kynikos posted:

Anyone have a handle on Virtual Boy (console, stand, visor, controller, etc.) values these days? Price Charting and eBay seem to be all over the place.

Are you looking for spare parts?

No idea about the parts separately, but a full system that works should cost $55-75

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just skipped nearly 4k posts in this thread (i shamefully haven't kept up after discovering the 3ds, but I plan to remedy that), so forgive me if its been posted, but is anyone going to the Midwest gaming classic this year?

I missed it last year, but I'm going this time dammit! And I'm going to get all hella manner of 3ds street passes too :huh:

Is this big enough to be worth traveling for? I'd be coming from DC, but it's over my birthday weekend, so it might be a fun present to myself to go check it out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Agrias120 posted:

Is this big enough to be worth traveling for? I'd be coming from DC, but it's over my birthday weekend, so it might be a fun present to myself to go check it out.

I know some people from this thread went last year and i think a few flew in. I've never been so I can't tell you if its worth it, but this thread seemed to have a fun time there.

The goon who's really good at splatter house (can't remember their name) was there I think, and a few others from SA, maybe they can chime in. I'll be there this year with some friends, but it's a 20 minute drive for me

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Started playing through Super Metroid, the first Metroid title I've ever played. I'm pretty poo poo at platforming and the boss battles have been giving me trouble, but it's so drat satisfying making progress in this game.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

Are you looking for spare parts?

No idea about the parts separately, but a full system that works should cost $55-75

I'm actually trying to sell mine and have everything needed. It seems like the spare parts go for quite a bit on their own. Go figure.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Why is Kirby: Return to Dreamland (or whatever the wii game is) so expensive? We have it from gamefly and I'd like to buy it but drat, the eBay prices are nuts for a mediocre wii game.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I always get excited when I hear that name since I live in the midwest, but then I remember that for some reason the general US definition of "midwest" is actually really far north and east. v:confused:v So it's surprisingly a bit too far out of my way, sadly.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

New doujindance modded PCEngine Duo-R. You should jump on this if you don't have one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-DUO-R-RGB-TG16-model-New-Lens-/201266560616?ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bean posted:

Why is Kirby: Return to Dreamland (or whatever the wii game is) so expensive? We have it from gamefly and I'd like to buy it but drat, the eBay prices are nuts for a mediocre wii game.

It's from a semi-major Nintendo franchise so has demand, but is a few years old and not a Mario or Zelda game so it's Out of Print.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If it's got Nintendo on it and you're in the western world, if it's not belonging to a scalper yet you better jump on it.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I held off on Kirby: Return to Dreamland because I was waiting for it to go down to bargain price. Guess that didn't work.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So annoying when you solder in some ICs to find your gently caress rear end reproduction gray screens. To the trash with you!!!!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Nintendo games almost never get marked down on their own, you usually need to cash in on a buy one get one general sale or such. And if it doesn't have Mario or Zelda on it it's likely to go out of print

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Milkman posted:

Nintendo games almost never get marked down on their own, you usually need to cash in on a buy one get one general sale or such. And if it doesn't have Mario or Zelda on it it's likely to go out of print

Sure they do, but it's the games outside of the big franchises. I just bought a copy of Trace Memory for $1.50, for example.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Trace Memory isn't a Nintendo game, though. :confused: Edit: It's Nintendo published, I stand (mostly) corrected.

Kirby games always have low print numbers, especially in Europe. Don't wait if you want to get them at all.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 18, 2015

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Epic Yarn actually dropped in price and is pretty easy to find. Return to Dreamland came out a bit later and kind of when the Wii was on its way out.

Mass Attack is also pretty easy to find. Both of them weren't quite traditional Kirby games, though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
What are my options for video quality if I've got a 1CHIP SNES without getting into any in-depth modding? I'm not looking for any ways to electrocute myself, I just want to know if I can do anything without spending tons of money or learning how to actually solder things. I'm using a CRT that does have an RF port, if that matters.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DoubleDonut posted:

What are my options for video quality if I've got a 1CHIP SNES without getting into any in-depth modding? I'm not looking for any ways to electrocute myself, I just want to know if I can do anything without spending tons of money or learning how to actually solder things. I'm using a CRT that does have an RF port, if that matters.

The RF port is the opposite of what you want for video quality.

If you're just using that TV, then I hope you have SVideo or Composite at least. Otherwise, get a PVM or something and use BNC I guess. That's not my realm of expertise.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The RF port is the opposite of what you want for video quality.

If you're just using that TV, then I hope you have SVideo or Composite at least. Otherwise, get a PVM or something and use BNC I guess. That's not my realm of expertise.

I don't know what a PVM and BNC are but thanks I guess?

Also I have SVideo and Composite on the TV, but the only cable I actually have for the SNES is the RF adapter; I wasn't sure if I needed to buy anything fancy besides the cable itself.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

DoubleDonut posted:

Also I have SVideo and Composite on the TV, but the only cable I actually have for the SNES is the RF adapter; I wasn't sure if I needed to buy anything fancy besides the cable itself.

If it's a full-size SNES of the 1CHIP variety and not a SNES Mini, then the full range of options are available to you without any modding at all.

Since you have a normal CRT with S-Video, that will be your best option, without getting into any PVM nonsense, however, there's a certain issue with getting S-Video cables for the SNES/N64/Gamecube... The good ones that don't have crosstalk problems are all popular and as a result suffer price gouging on ebay and such. I believe someone was making good new ones recently for a reasonable price but I can't remember who it was now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DoubleDonut posted:

Then get a S-Video cable (random ebay, no idea on quality but might be better to shop around). That'll be the highest quality you can get with that TV.

• Locked thread