Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

The Bee posted:

Smash 4's offstage game would be perfect in theory. You can recover from far, encouraging risky play because you have room for ever. You can steal the ledge, encouraging less edgehogging and more badass midair interceptions. Overall you're changing a more passive and boring form of recovery-stopping with a more active, risky, and engaging one. The problem is you add the overbearing airdodges to the mix and end up jumbling everything up.

If you made the airdodge much more punishable, made stealing the ledge actually mean something for the player losing the ledge, and the blast zones a bit less forgiving, Smash 4 could have some incredible offstage play going on.

This is all true. Which is why it being lame is such a travesty. :negative:

I really do think if they removed infinite airdodge like... a good 50% of the problems in the game would be fixed. I can deal with the rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

laplace posted:

This is all true. Which is why it being lame is such a travesty. :negative:

I really do think if they removed infinite airdodge like... a good 50% of the problems in the game would be fixed. I can deal with the rolling.

? If you can read a roll, you can read an airdodge.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

at least 40% of my kills as bowser are forward airs off the stage

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The only thing I really miss from Melee is the single-use airdodge. It was an escape button, but you only got one, and if you hosed it up you were gonna get whacked. Comparing that to Brawl and Smash 4 and it's just MASH MASH MASH oh I'm on the ground.
I also miss the results screen and accompanying jingle after you clear a stage in classic or adventure. That was cool, why'd they remove it?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Maple Leaf posted:

? If you can read a roll, you can read an airdodge.

There's also less setup, less animation frames, the ability to maneuver while airdodging, less control in the air as compared to the ground, less endlag. Compared to a roll, which can often be easily punished by a perceptive player, an airdodge is really safe.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Which is all beaten by a good read. Every time I've seen someone bait out an airdodge, they've gotten the punish for it. Even in Brawl, where the problem was even worse than it is in Smash 4, if you're dumb enough to spam your "unbeatable" dodge you'll get wrecked for it, assuming your opponent is smart enough to pick up on your bad habits. "The ability to maneuver while airdodging" isn't that big a deal because most characters don't have good enough aerial mobility for that to matter - they're either going forward, or they're not, but they're definitely not going backward.

They even made airdodging an unsafe idea onstage because of the huge landing lag it has. And yeah, they could abuse it offstage to avoid your edgeguarding, but the more they do it (because you're being exciting enough to chase them, knowing that they can either try to attack you, which is unsafe because they are in a bad position to begin with, or they can airdodge, which is still bad for the same reason and can be read and punished even harder) the less likely they'll be able to recover. And because of the new ledge mechanics, you can go as deep as you like as long as long as you know your character's limits.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I finally get why Marth and Lucina are so much worse. Their range didn't get worse, everyone elses's got better.

FFS I just had a Sonic outrange my forward smash with his

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

In addition, because the majority of characters have good recoveries, it means they can go pretty deep, which is good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maple Leaf posted:

Which is all beaten by a good read.

You could say this about anything, which is stupid. A good read beats anything but doesn't make said option any less safe or spammable.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I believe that is the definition of making an option less safe, Sire Oblivion.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Maple you don't understand when you're in the air you get the starman sparkles and you're completely untouchable.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Nobody's saying you're invincible. Just that it's a far stronger tool than it needs to be, and slows down gameplay because it's far easier to be the defender than the attacker in most cases.

Defences being riskier than attacks makes it more exciting because the attacker will feel the need to put themselves in danger more often to capitalize. It also makes the instances where a defense at a critical moment goes off without a hitch much more exciting, rather than the boring expectation.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Melee is the 6v6 of smash in that people will always be mad about it existing and the only people who want to watch it play the format.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please make Gamer legal.
yeah gamer actually owns and has a good cool stage hazard tbh

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

No Stage Hazard is a good or cool stage hazard.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reiley posted:

Melee is the 6v6 of smash in that people will always be mad about it existing and the only people who want to watch it play the format.

Imagine 6v6 smash...!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

laplace posted:

No Stage Hazard is a good or cool stage hazard.

I don't think you understand smash brothers if you honestly believe this.

Like this isn't even about Gamer exclusively. Dumb stage hazards have been in every game for a reason. Gamers owns and is fun.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Just because they're in every game doesn't make them good or worthwhile. They've always been dumb. The bumper was dumb on Peach's castle, the hurricane was dumb on Hyrule Castle, Most people even hate Woody Woods despite him doing no damage. Stage hazards are dumb.

Items are also dumb, but I at least understand people being excited about getting to see a pokemon or something.

The whole randomness RNG thing is and always has been lame even outside of a competitive setting. The whole "It makes it more fun!" is about as fun as randomly getting herpes while walking through a crowd. RNG is lame. Getting punished for no reason is lame.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sounds like someone doesn't get smash bros.

Like you can play without hazards on some maps (and I do a lot of the time) but I can't imagine not having stages like Pokefloats or Gamer or Wario Ware.

Some are poo poo like Yellow Devil and Ridley in 4 no arguments there as a aside but hating all of them ever? That's bonkers.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 19, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm less mad at the stages and more at how limited the stage creator was made. People are making some cool competitive stages, but there's no real way to share them in-game. The creator is also quite limited in scope, but I feel like you don't need that many tools to make cool competitive stages. It just sucks for funtime stages.

They don't need to make a ton of competitive stages if they just give players the tools to make their own and easily share them.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

laplace posted:

Just because they're in every game doesn't make them good or worthwhile. They've always been dumb. The bumper was dumb on Peach's castle, the hurricane was dumb on Hyrule Castle, Most people even hate Woody Woods despite him doing no damage. Stage hazards are dumb.

Items are also dumb, but I at least understand people being excited about getting to see a pokemon or something.

The whole randomness RNG thing is and always has been lame even outside of a competitive setting. The whole "It makes it more fun!" is about as fun as randomly getting herpes while walking through a crowd. RNG is lame. Getting punished for no reason is lame.
I also would rather have herpes than summon the deer god of life.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

laplace posted:

I'm sure your cognitive behavioralist will find this post enlightening as you continue your journey toward being able to understand human emotion and interaction.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

stage hazards are only bad when they actually affect the match outside of the player's control. gamer's is a bit much for real competitive play because of how far 5-volt can see plus how many variations that stage has, but halberd's hazards are fine because both players can take advantage of them and most of the time they get ignored completely anyway, because they are really easy to avoid

youre nuts dude

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm less mad at the stages and more at how limited the stage creator was made. People are making some cool competitive stages, but there's no real way to share them in-game. The creator is also quite limited in scope, but I feel like you don't need that many tools to make cool competitive stages. It just sucks for funtime stages.

They don't need to make a ton of competitive stages if they just give players the tools to make their own and easily share them.

Isn't stage sharing getting patched in later?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

yeah

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

laplace posted:

He's too far gone. His mind is shrouded in darkness, and cannot be reached

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't get smash bros.

Like you can play without hazards on some maps (and I do a lot of the time) but I can't imagine not having stages like Pokefloats or Gamer or Wario Ware.

Some are poo poo like Yellow Devil and Ridley in 4 no arguments there as a aside but hating all of them ever? That's bonkers.

Pokefloats does not have stage hazards

And WarioWare has been an awful stage some it came out in Brawl. Random buffs are bad.

Gamer is my powerful friend though and is infinitely better

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also can you and a online friend do any sort of 2v2? I haven't really tried it yet and feels like it would be a odd oversight buuut.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pokefloats does not have stage hazards

And WarioWare has been an awful stage some it came out in Brawl. Random buffs are bad.

Gamer is my powerful friend though and is infinitely better

I just like the adaptations of micro games that pop up. Everyone stopping to taunt and having that one friend go "poo poo I hosed UP" and ruin it for everyone is great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also can you and a online friend do any sort of 2v2? I haven't really tried it yet and feels like it would be a odd oversight buuut.

Yes, if you play against other online friends

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, if you play against other online friends

Lame

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah they definitely said it and a real tourney mode as well as online tourneys were coming post-launch in the 50 fact video.

Unrelatedly I discovered recently that the online friend waiting room has turned into that Miiverse stage they also promised.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Yeah they definitely said it and a real tourney mode as well as online tourneys were coming post-launch in the 50 fact video.

Unrelatedly I discovered recently that the online friend waiting room has turned into that Miiverse stage they also promised.

Yeah, sure, and next you'll tell me they're adding Mewtwo.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

it didn't turn into it, the wii u version's waiting room was always omega miiverse

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh one more random question, as far as I understand it custom moves are banned because it takes forever to unlock them. If that's all that there is is there a chance of them getting unbanned down the line when it's more likely everyone's got em?

I really wanna see them used because while there's some lame ones in there a lot are pretty neat.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I think I understand humans and interaction just fine. It doesn't make bad design any better. :colbert:

Also,

Reiley posted:

The only thing that beat Melee in viewership at EVO was UMvC3, and Beast 5's Melee bracket got more viewers on the VGBC side stream (peaked at about 15k) than Smash 4 did on the primary stream.

Melee is definitely not just a niche ~only people who play it~ thing. I think more people watch it than they do play it by a huge margin.

edit:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh one more random question, as far as I understand it custom moves are banned because it takes forever to unlock them. If that's all that there is is there a chance of them getting unbanned down the line when it's more likely everyone's got em?

I really wanna see them used because while there's some lame ones in there a lot are pretty neat.

Yes. There are tournaments that use them already. There is an effort to create hacked saves so everything can be unlocked from the start at tournaments, so this will likely become a thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope the next game expands on the custom moves. I think it would keep the game fresher with more variety in each character.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

last i checked some people were trying to make use of a 3ds version that had every custom move unlocked and come up with a list of 8 most used custom move loadouts that they would transfer to as many wii u versions as possible so that everyone would have access to them, and if anyone wanted something else they would have to bring their own 3ds with them and transfer their own set for their match.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hope the next game expands on the custom moves. I think it would keep the game fresher with more variety in each character.

i just want custom moves that make sense. mega man has probably my favorite set of custom moves because while they are all similar to his default moves in function they're still based off of different moves from his games and offer some nice variety without feeling like gimmicks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

There won't be a next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm going to make super smash bros. 5

• Locked thread