Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
I just finished the series. Simply amazing, that's all I can say for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

karlor posted:

I just finished the series. Simply amazing, that's all I can say for now.

Basically came here to post this. Finished up very recently and I'm blown away. This is in a class all its own. Already looking forward to re-watching it in a few years.

Sucks that the Youtube re-ups have such lovely sound quality though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Get the bluray rips and fill your drives with galactic goodness

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Get the bluray rips and fill your drives with galactic goodness

Hell with that, I like my LaserDisc versions without the jarringly spliced new animation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

Hell with that, I like my LaserDisc versions without the jarringly spliced new animation.

I'll take the more lovingly animated battle scenes in HD if it means a couple of farty 'spliced' scenes that are about as jarring as when they decide they can't do more than slide the ship cells around for a few episodes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's pretty great that there are still new people joining in to watch the show. I had to go back to page 4 to see when I started watching it, and waiting for the new episodes to come out for the main series, then the Gaidens, etc.

EDIT: also makes me realize I need to do a cleanup on the Gaidens and get them renamed properly :v:

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 18, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A couple of months ago I saw a Korean movie called Roaring Currents, which was about Korean admiral Yi Sun-sin, a loyal admiral who was imprisoned by his own king because a Japanese spy infiltrated the Korean govt and spread rumors that Yi Sun-sin had intentions of taking over Korea with his popularity. His fleet of 169 ships was squandered and only 13 ships were left. The Korean govt panicked and released Yi from jail and ordered him to defend Korea from invasion with the 13 ships that were left. He led the Japanese invasion force into a narrow corridor where tidal forces would change depending on the time of day, and defeated a fleet of 330 ships using a combination of these tidal forces and mind games.

And I thought, holy poo poo, it's the inspiration for Yang Wenli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Myeongnyang

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 19, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do you miss anything if you skip the non-movie prequels? I watched Silver-White Valley and I'm halfway through Dreams of Morning, Songs of Night. The gist I have from them is Musel is A Cool Dude, the empire is full of rear end in a top hat nobles, and Kircheis wants the Kaiser's sloppy seconds.

I mean, they're not awful or anything, but compared to what I've seen of the main series they're not as great so far.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 19, 2015

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

You don't miss anything, the Gaidens were produced after the series as far as I'm aware. You'll obviously have some characters that come up in the main series make appearances during the Gaidens and one of the side stories foreshadows something that comes up way later in the series. The Gaidens all wary in quality and animation so it's kind of jarring going back and forth between them. Overall you are probably better off finishing the main series and then if you really want more LoGH watch the Gaidens.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, alright. Like I said I'm liking the show a lot so far, but Lohengramm seems like a pretty simple character compared to everyone else I've seen. The posts about how he's the Napoleon/Augustus/Alexander the Great of the show seems pretty spot on. Would have been nice if they made it an even split between him and Yang, since Yang owns a lot.

It's been like a week and I'm only on episode 4 though so who the gently caress knows how long it'll take me to actually know the characters. :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't worry. Even if you're just scratching the surface with all of the important characters, Yang is still pretty much the best.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ol' Reinhard's got his own share of quirks, just you wait.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Don't worry. Even if you're just scratching the surface with all of the important characters, Yang is still pretty much the best.
I'd go so far as to say Yang's one of the best anime characters, period.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Yang is one of the greatest characters in anything ever I love that dude so much. MIRACLE YANG MAGICIAN YANG. Also man I loved that scene with Dusty Attenborough that is referenced in the image on the top of this page. I remember that episode, it came nearly out of no where and with no context why he was dressed up like that, but you didn't question it. A guy with the name Dusty Attenborough gets some leeway I guess.

Up to episode 78 or something now, spoilers for up to there to follow.

Holy gently caress even though I knew, KNEW they were gonna pull something like the end of the battle of vermillion (with the whole Yang having to stop just short of killing Reinhard due to government cease fire) holy hot drat was it frustrating when it happened. He was RIGHT THERE! He beat Reinhardt at his own game, outnumbered, outgunned, and with less talent under his command! Aghhhhh!!! However the cease fire order was sort of only an excuse, as we find out later Yang felt reluctant and nervous to snuff out the life of Reinhardt, a presence he knows only comes once in a few hundred years, and was kind of glad he didn't have to. But then in that same scene he admits this, he starts thinking about how all the people who fought and died on his side of the battle did it so they could kill that son of a bitch, and he feels so loving torn and shakes his head saying "Argh I'm always like this", tearing himself apart trying to make sense of war which just cannot ever make complete sense. It really made you feel for the dude, and is exactly what makes Yang the greatest character ever.

Also :rip: Bucock :( God drat I loved that old man, and he had the sweetest old wife who is now a widow. That somber scene at the end of the episode as the Alliance fleet sails off on "Their Final Sortie" was touching. But god drat did he give a good loving fight. What a way to go out, putting up a hell of a loving battle with his ragtag group of forces making admirals on the empire side left and right looks like little loving babies, enough that they all were in awe. "An man who keeps his mettle into old age is to be respected". And then, the coup de grace, his "toast to democracy" on the bridge with Reinhard on video link. How he says straight up he could never be a servant to a master, and that he knows that Yang is the same, and will fight for their lovely democracy to death, and then he goes down content and drinking, well that brought a little tear to my eye. Buckock you beautiful bastard. You were one of the few lights of the Alliance outside of Yang's crew.

I love this loving show so much and I never want it to end and I want to be space bros with MAGICIAN YANG 4 ever.

I have no loving idea how this is all going to end, but I know if it doesn't end with Yang alive and getting to chill with his cat and read and drink all day I will be murderous.

Damo fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 20, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god Yang's speech at the start of episode 6. I'm in love with this show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love it when it hooks em early, cuz it just gets better <3

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As much as I like this show (and I do, a great deal) I never really figured I'd want to watch the whole thing again, but reading the recent parade of people just starting into it has me strongly reconsidering that notion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's very rewatchable, and surprisingly it goes quicker the second time more than the first. For being so old and so long, the pacing is spot on. I imagine that's because it's an OVA and doesn't suffer from the same production issues a long running series would face, in terms of time constraints, and labor burnout.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I'm sure there would be some details I'd pickup on a future 2nd watch because there is at least one or two plot points an episode that I kind of gloss over in my mind, like I get what the outcome is "ok this guy did something and that guy is mad" for example, but I don't get the details and I let it go (sometimes after like, 4 rewinds to re-read the dialog after which I just conclude I'm not gonna get it). Sometimes I think it's due to translation issues, but more often than not I think it's something I just am not getting because it's just too much poo poo to understand and absorb your first time through to get all the details and intricate plotting that happens sometimes, if that makes sense.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
This show is going to make me cry like a baby before the end, isn't it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes. No. Maybe.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
gently caress you, show. gently caress. You.

gently caress. YOU.

(up to episode 84 or something spoilers)

I mean, I kind of saw it coming, what with the entire show having Yang teaching Julian the ways of the world and war and politics, grooming him for leadership, etc. In stories like that the subservient character only has a chance to serve it's purpose when his mentor dies and he's thrust into responsibility. So I kind of knew Yang was going to die since like, the very beginning. I kind of lied to myself about it though cause I couldn't deal with it.

However, for fucks sake. Not like this. Like, nearly 30 episodes from the end of the show, even. Dying to some unnamed scrub from the Terraists. Shot in the loving leg, hitting an artery of course, because why not. Dying alone. What a poo poo death. It's real, it's how it happens, it's poetic in a way. It's just loving awful. Life is awful. It works. But I hate it. I hate this show right now. God drat, that shot of Yang as an old dude dying in a chair while reading, the way his wife imagined he'd go, old, forgotten, quietly, that's how I wanted it too. gently caress you show :(.

I really liked that line in the episode after he dies, I forgot from who, but it was basically "with him gone, how are things going to be interesting anymore?" that's some meta poo poo, LOGH writers, heh.

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 24, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yessssss :unsmigghh:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
That's why you should never watch the next episode previews for this show. You can certainly guess that something is going to happen, but they literally make no attempt to be subtle in this case. Still, I thought the death scene, as painful as it was to watch, had just the sort of gritty realism you'd come to expect from the series. Yang died like any random soldier could. Not all deaths have to be glamorous or heroic (though those are awesome when they happen too).

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

wielder posted:

That's why you should never watch the next episode previews for this show. You can certainly guess that something is going to happen, but they literally make no attempt to be subtle in this case. Still, I thought the death scene, as painful as it was to watch, had just the sort of gritty realism you'd come to expect from the series. Yang died like any random soldier could. Not all deaths have to be glamorous or heroic (though those are awesome when they happen too).

Well I've never watched the previews, and I never understood why anyone would since you can just watch the next episode immediately. (At least since it was completed and when it finished being subbed for us).

With regards to Yang's death, I completely agree how fitting it is to die how he did, knowing as I always kind of did he was a doomed figure, and considering all the soldiers he unwillingly had to send to their meaningless random death, I knew it was the way he'd likely go -- falling victim to the same conclusion countless of the comrades who looked to him for leadership did. It just doesn't make the gut punch any easier to deal with :( Not looking forward to LOGH as much now, without Yang. I mean I guess I'm excited to see its conclusion given this shocking new twist, it's just that for me its heart and soul has just been lost, basically. Yang was my absolutely favorite part of the show, nothing and nobody else even came close. I used to lament how little screen time Yang and the Alliance got compared to Reinhard and his Empire, now I know why (besides that fact Reinhard is obviously the main character. At least if you could claim there is one, it would be him.)

One more thing in regards to the preview spoiling this event, and how bafflingly excited LOGH is with the idea of spoiling its own plot. If you think about it, the show itself did a lot to spoil/telegraph Yang's imminent death and it was made kind of anticlimactic as a result, which kind of sucks. There were the parts like Yang's conversation with Julian through the night, when the narrator says "It would be the last time Yang and Julian spoke until sunrise". There were a few other "The last time Yang" things iirc. Then you had the narrator after Yang left without Julian for the peace talks saying how "Julian doesn't yet know how much anguish looking back on this time will cause him in the future" or something similar. Then you have the intense focus, pace, and editing of the assassination scene with Yang on the ship on his way to Reinhard. I think those aspects of the way the scene was done gave away that this isn't a false start, Yang is really going to get it. You also had the Andrew Fork death, and to me that plot fake-out cemented Yang's fate. I mean, the guy the viewer thinks is gonna kill Yang all of sudden mysteriously and terribly incompetently dies like a scrub before he even gets close to killing Yang. That didn't tell me "phew Yang is safe", that screamed "the plan you know was just a front for an even better and more dangerous plan. I soon realized that the ease with which the Andrew Fork threat was neutralized was going to be inversely proportional with how effective the real assassination plot was going to be. Yet another example -- the ending credits stuff for the 3rd block of episodes. Julian wistfully looking at pictures/home movies of Yang and Co hanging out at the picnic. Julian looking sad and contemplative as hell while doing it. I instantly knew what was making him sad as hell the first time I saw those credits.

Lastly, the episode title itself "The Magician Doesn't Come Back". Obviously you aren't meant to know the episode titles until the end of watch the episode, but if you were unlucky and saw it before, well that's a pretty big spoiler right there. Fischers death too comes to mind all of sudden. You have that moment of Yang and Fischer chatting before they deploy, and Fischer says something about how he maybe will start writing like Dusty Attenborough after the war is over, and Yang then wistfully watches him walk away. Talking about what you are gonna do after the war, then a wistful gaze by your friend? You sir are loving dead as poo poo, and sure enough eh was. And this past episode 84, just saw another one with Reunthal and Mittermeyer, where the narrator spoils one of their deaths by saying their hanging over drinks "was the last time they shook hands or shared a drink together". So I already know one/both of them is going to die. Or, I dunno, I guess it's possible one of them could disappear to a backwater planet and live as a hermit for the rest of their life. But more likely death, I think.

So yeah, LOGH, stop being so damned excited to spoil yourself! I think I remember hearing someone say that it's a Japanese thing, to be OK or even that it's desirable knowing whats coming in a film/tv/book or whatever before hand. Is it a cultural thing with entertainment I'm not aware of that results in LOGH's self-spoilering and super obvious foreshadowing fascination? It's almost a good thing, since having time beforehand to accept Yang's death prevented me from the giant baby temper tantrum and object breaking that perhaps would have occurred if it came as a sudden surprise to me.

Damo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 24, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Super Best Friend Cast talked about that a bit either this past podcast or the one before it, and yeah, Japan don't care about spoilers. This is most easily evidenced by, for example, their video game boxes for character-driven RPGs and such will show most of if not the entire playable cast, Persona 4 is a perfect example of this where it literally goes through every single player character dancing in the intro movie even though some of the characters you won't see until you're dozens of hours into the game. The only exceptions to that sort of thing are murder mysteries and such, where the entire drive to the plot is to keep you in the dark. Which, again, Persona 4 does, but it keeps the actual murderer a mystery until the reveal.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

The Super Best Friend Cast talked about that a bit either this past podcast or the one before it, and yeah, Japan don't care about spoilers. This is most easily evidenced by, for example, their video game boxes for character-driven RPGs and such will show most of if not the entire playable cast, Persona 4 is a perfect example of this where it literally goes through every single player character dancing in the intro movie even though some of the characters you won't see until you're dozens of hours into the game. The only exceptions to that sort of thing are murder mysteries and such, where the entire drive to the plot is to keep you in the dark. Which, again, Persona 4 does, but it keeps the actual murderer a mystery until the reveal.

TIL regular movie posters and trailers are anime.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Damo posted:

saw another one with Reunthal and Mittermeyer, where the narrator spoils one of their deaths by saying their hanging over drinks "was the last time they shook hands or shared a drink together". So I already know one/both of them is going to die. Or, I dunno, I guess it's possible one of them could disappear to a backwater planet and live as a hermit for the rest of their life. But more likely death, I think.

Dude, trust me when I say that you will not be disappointed by the foreshadowing of that scene.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think those little hints are meant to play into the pseudo-history documentary style of the series. Episode 84 spoilers: Like, if you were watching this in the LotGH world you'd already know that Yang dies to terraists, so commenting on Yang's last actions is something that makes perfect sense from the narrator.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
When I gave this show to a friend, I actually went as far as renaming the episode in which Yang dies so it wasn't given away by the loving title... And I warned him not to watch the 'next episode' previews either.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

While japan doesn't care about spoilers, people the West, especially in the wake of serial television is OBSESSED with preventing spoilers to the point of absolute madness. So on the one hand, Japan's casualness is odd, but our willingness to go all eternal sunshine of the spotless mind to see a movie without knowing some tiny detail is a little nutters.

The real stupid poo poo is while being obsessed with not seeing spoilers, never have we had such frivolous amounts of news coverage trying to suss out every detail of a movie production before people can even see it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
As an aside, does anybody know if Terraists is as much of a pun in the original Japanese as it is in English? I kinda imagine that either way the translators must have been giggling like maniacs when they came up with that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

While japan doesn't care about spoilers, people the West, especially in the wake of serial television is OBSESSED with preventing spoilers to the point of absolute madness. So on the one hand, Japan's casualness is odd, but our willingness to go all eternal sunshine of the spotless mind to see a movie without knowing some tiny detail is a little nutters.

The real stupid poo poo is while being obsessed with not seeing spoilers, never have we had such frivolous amounts of news coverage trying to suss out every detail of a movie production before people can even see it.

can we empty quote now?

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah I kind of agree. If a story is totally ruined for you by learning of the surprising twist at the end, maybe that's because the writing was weak to begin with. Wantonly throwing in shocking character deaths for, well, the shock value is not hard hitting gritty writing or anything, for example, it's just a cheap and obvious way of getting a strong emotional response from the audience.

And as for LoGH's casual attitude toward spoilers, I chalked it up to this:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think those little hints are meant to play into the pseudo-history documentary style of the series.

If you were watching a documentary on WWII, for example, it would probably be mentioned pretty freely that the Axis lose, Hitler shoots himself, the Soviets win at Stalingrad, the Americans win at Midway, and so on and so forth. They'll still recount those events themselves in a way to capture their drama and importance, but the ultimate outcome is not necessarily something they'll keep the audience in suspense over.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
just finished Ep. 82: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Chocobo posted:

just finished Ep. 82: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Reaction posts to that episode are like wonderful interdimentional echoes, reflecting back through the pages of history again and again for us to enjoy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In every time, in every place, the reactions to episode 82 remain the same

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dodging episode previews, getting emotionally involved with the show and then getting all your hopes and dreams crushed by ruthless plot twists,ahhhh those were the days :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
After one finishes 82 I recommend going back and watching the preview for it in 81 to really twist the knife. I can't remember the exact lines it used but it was essentially a terrifically sad eulogy for Yang.