Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Borland

by XyloJW

I made potato pizza.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Deep dish pizza, eh? Not sure what I expected from a person... IN CHICAGO.

Al Borland

by XyloJW

Security Drone posted:

Deep dish pizza, eh? Not sure what I expected from a person... IN CHICAGO.

not deep dish.

STuffed crust.

Stuffed with cheese and pepperoni.

----------------

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

gonna make a veal stock tomorrow and osso buco for christmas stay tuned

alnilam

osso buco

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

What happened Bo-Pepper? Bump.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I may try to make posole in a few days, probably for New Year's. it will be my second time making it so it'll be fun.

alnilam

Here's my friend "s really good egg nog recipe

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Security Drone posted:

What happened Bo-Pepper? Bump.

i need to upload the pics to a friend's computer and make the post from there my home computer is busted

i'm tablet posting currently which is unsatisfying

the stock is made and is a lovely bowl of brown jello jiggle goodness

it bubbled away for at least ten hours yesterday

wednesday is osso buco day

alnilam

:siren:ATTENTION PEOPLE WHO DON'T THINK YOU LIKE EGG NOG :siren:
you might like this nog, i didn't ever like it, but this recipe is really good, and i also think nog that is "made with booze" is way better than nog that is mixed with booze, after the fact.

code:
1.5 cups melk - boil, then cool
   ^^^ carefully, dble-boiler or stir frequently so it doesn't scorch

5 egg yolks, beat
1 c powd sug, stir into egg yolks

3/4 tsp vanilla XXXtrakt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup vodka
1 cup brandy
combine all ingredes in a 1 L jar (make sure milk is cool! don't wanna cook them yolks)
put in frig and shake up every day for 4 days, ideally, before drinking. I've jumped the gun before at 1 or 2 days and itwas still good, but it does improve with age.

if you do the math you will see that this is roughly 50% liquor, meaning it's about 20% ABV or 40 proof. :beerpal:

in these pictures i amdoubling the recipe, and slightly downing the amount of booze from - i'm so sorry but i'm with my old parents and grandma so ya know

melk in double boiler

egg yokes and whites- save the whites in a fridge for tomorrow's breakfast!
how to separate them? crack an egge carefully and pour the yolk between each half until the white is nearly all gone, you can probably look this technique up on youtube idk it's not that hard tho imo

sugar lol

brandy and (not pictured) wodka

put in frig and shake every day! for 4 days. then drink.

ty manifisto

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

wh...what. is melk

???żżż???

Al Borland

by XyloJW
Mmm nothing like freshly milked rodents.

----------------

Al Borland

by XyloJW
Except when you were promised dog grade milk...

----------------

The X-man cometh
I can confirm that egg nog made with booze is amazeballs. I like all nog, though.

Some of the alcohol evaporates in the fridge, so it's not as boozy as you expect, but it's got a good amount left.

joke_explainer

bump

How are you people making your eggs these days? Hopefully like Bo-Pepper instructed?

poverty goat

over easy with toast :yum:

joke_explainer

gggiiimmmppp posted:

over easy with toast :yum:

That's an excellent way to do it.

Did you get your sous vide machine working again?

ulvir

on one slice of bread i put green pesto on top of leverpostej each morning. thats the extent of my fine dining

well peace

poverty goat

Security Drone posted:

That's an excellent way to do it.

Did you get your sous vide machine working again?

i actually got a sansaire for xmas so i havent touched it, made some pretty good ribs yesterday

fuck. marry. t-rex

Bo-Pepper posted:

O made pork ossobuco instead of using veal and it was really good

joke_explainer

bump

landy.
does anybody here know how to make some good, fluffy rice? I can never get the amount of oil right and the rice always ends up too sticky or too greasy. Also I never put enough salt in, and the rice ends up bland.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

first off you don't need any oil in your rice

you should probably rinse your rice before you cook it

use less water than you might think like 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups of water per cup of rice plus a little salt

once your rice and water come to a boil turn the heat to the lowest level for ten or so minutes while covered

then remove from heat and let rest for five or so minutes

this should give you more consistent results but honestly nothing beats a good rice cooker if you make a lot of rice

Bo-Pepper fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 19, 2015

fuck. marry. t-rex

You can also try adding white vinegar for taste instead of or in addition to salt

ulvir

i sometimes use soy sauce

landy.

Bo-Pepper posted:

first off you don't need any oil in your rice

you should probably rinse your rice before you cook it

use less water than you might think like 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups of water per cup of rice plus a little salt

once your rice and water come to a boil turn the heat to the lowest level for ten or so minutes while covered

then remove from heat and let rest for five or so minutes

this should give you more consistent results but honestly nothing beats a good rice cooker if you make a lot of rice

that's the amount of water I use, and I do rinse the rice, so it's probably not that. I usually let it simmer for half an hour so maybe that's the issue. I'll try your suggestions next time I make rice, thank you.

but also just for clarification, this is more of a Caribbean rice than an Asian rice.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Bull Runner posted:

that's the amount of water I use, and I do rinse the rice, so it's probably not that. I usually let it simmer for half an hour so maybe that's the issue. I'll try your suggestions next time I make rice, thank you.

but also just for clarification, this is more of a Caribbean rice than an Asian rice.

half an hour is way too long on the heat

ten to fifteen minutes is usually fine for anything other than brown rice which needs more water/time

don't omit the rest time either

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

I totally agree with the rice cooker thing, they're so cheap too. I think most yobbers would love it to because you can just set it and go do whatever and come back to perfectly cooked rice.

the unabonger
im bumping this thread so i can post what im cooking in a bit

Pizzatime

great thread. looking for advice on how to save it locally and print it into a book at will

Pizzatime

actually, would you mind, Bo?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

go to town

alnilam

i made a really tasty vegetarian lentil shepherd's pie yesterday! would highly recommend
  • 1 cup dry green lentils
  • 2 lb sweet potates
  • 2-3 tbsp butter or margerine
  • some kinda milk
  • a small chopped onion
  • some garlic, duh
  • about 1/2 tsp each of thyme and cumin, throw in some dashes of cayenne and maybe sage
  • a splash (1 tsp?) of apple cider vinegar
  • a tomato, chopped up finely, or some ketchup if you prefer
  • 1 cup frozen sweet corn

cook the lentils and then drain them

peel, cube, and boil the potatoes, mash them with the butter adn the milk

sautee the onion in some olive oil until soft
add garlic
add spices, tomato, and apple cider vin, cover and cook on low-med heat for like 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally
add this mix to the lentils and stir together on low heat for a few minutes

spread the lentil/veg mix onto the bottom of a pie pan
cover with the corn
cover with the mashed sweet potates
bake at 375 for like 30 minutes

like all shepherd's pies, it is not much to look at (plus good food photos are hard) but it is really delicious. I took a photo anyway, here's the gross-looking but loving delicious veggie shepherds pie

ty manifisto

Cyber Dog

i want it

joke_explainer

i flunked out posted:

im bumping this thread so i can post what im cooking in a bit

this must be a really complicated recipe

landy.
I made this a few days ago and have been eating it since. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spaghettini-with-mushrooms-garlic-and-oil

Scaly Haylie

landy. posted:

I made this a few days ago and have been eating it since. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spaghettini-with-mushrooms-garlic-and-oil

i saw the truncated url and read it as landy subsisting only on garlic and oil

poverty goat

i was told that i should post here again about things i have vizzled recently

i did a pork :butt: for 24 hours at medium with a weird brown sugar/garlic powder/anise/tangerine zest rub i found somewhere that sounded different and it was loving amazing. the seasonings came together really well in a way that i couldnt isolate the anise and garlic powder when i tasted it. a+ would rub again. ive also done a few racks of ribs lately. I tried medium rare first for 24-48 hours but i think with pork the texture is best, again, around medium. 24 Hours or so at medium and they are fall off the bone awesome. i finished the ribs and the :butt: in cast iron preheated in the broiler but in the summer id stick to my huge outside ring burner because it can get the cast iron hot as poo poo for that perfect quick sear/crust

also, one night i tried overnight steel cut oats sous-vide instead of in the slow cooler and it was actually really gross. The way that steel cut oatmeal makes the kitchen smell while it boils if you do it the normal way, the sousvide oatmeal tasted really strongly like that smell in a gross way. There's something in there that tastes bad and needs to evaporate i think. id thought it might be cool to make a bunch of single servings of oatmeal this way (individually vacuum sealed) and freeze them so I can pull them out to eat for breakfast when I don't have time. i dont even gently caress with regular or instant oatmeal for breakfast anymore because they dont stick around and then im hungry in an hour

no pics. dwi

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 9, 2015

The X-man cometh
I'm braising a brisket this weekend. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

this must be a really complicated recipe

I completely forgot about it, it was just a pretty easy baked mac and cheese and roasted cauliflower and andouille sausage. the Mac and cheese recipe is pretty lovely tho, I'll post more when I'm out of class