Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Thank god you guys started posting those British cartoons, it's nice to see actual well drawn comics in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Can we make a Kickstarter to import Rowson to America?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Muir is turning more and more into :mrapig: every day.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Portals posted:

I think she's gonna need more than just a cold drink to deal with that sunburn.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Portals posted:

Still, it's nice to think that maybe, just maybe, FINALLY modern society is going to favor men (especially white men!) for a change. Finally.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Man, Iron Pill may be "drawn" by an unironic probable racist and is probably going to be found on the computer harddrive of the next big school shooter, but it's just in amazing in ways I can't really describe. What's the story behind that poo poo anyways?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I feel like this is a reference to something I can't quite remember. Which reminds me: the Mr Fish from a while back with the wrecked car full of klansmen - that was referencing an old painting, right? Or is there just something about his style that gives me deja vu?

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

CampingCarl posted:

If a person hates the jews and hitler didn't really kill the jews why would that person like hitler? What do they think he did to deserve being a hero or whatever? Even without the antisemitism Hitler wasn't good at any of the other things he did.

Holocaust deniers deny the holocaust because they hate the Jews. Even if they don't believe it happened they want it to happen again. Hitler is their idol because because even though they deny he did it, they openly agree with his belief that we should be exterminated.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Asimo posted:

It's really a good insight into the mind of people like that though, if you step back and see how they came to their conclusions. The Origin of Species is a fairly dry text about nature and natural selection, which by necessity includes a lot of discussion on, well, natural selection. Predation, changing of habitats, and other stuff like that. Now the cartoonist is the sort that sees everything in the world as God's Plan, so by simply describing these things honestly Darwin was implicitly making a slander against God and blaming God for the myriad atrocities of nature. The fact this is completely unrelated to the actual text doesn't matter; the cartoonist's world view is so focused and unalterable that there's no other possible explanation that would fit it. From where they're sitting, it's an inarguable self-evident "truth".

Hang on. Do fundamentalists believe that animals didn't do horrible things to one another before the Fall? Like all the animals were sitting around being chill, and then in one magic moment they all started eating one another? And mothers devouring their offspring and siblings murdering one another? Laying eggs in the still-living bodies of their victims?

On one hand, that's completely nuts. On the other hand, that would be the most awesomely :black101: moment ever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pilchenstein posted:

I feel like this is a reference to something I can't quite remember. Which reminds me: the Mr Fish from a while back with the wrecked car full of klansmen - that was referencing an old painting, right? Or is there just something about his style that gives me deja vu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcKwGS7OSQ

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tobermory posted:

Hang on. Do fundamentalists believe that animals didn't do horrible things to one another before the Fall? Like all the animals were sitting around being chill, and then in one magic moment they all started eating one another? And mothers devouring their offspring and siblings murdering one another? Laying eggs in the still-living bodies of their victims?

On one hand, that's completely nuts. On the other hand, that would be the most awesomely :black101: moment ever.

Something like that, yes.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Can we make a Kickstarter to import Rowson to America?

What did Rowson do to piss you off??????

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah the 'This machine kills [...]' is a reference to Woody

as is Pete Seeger's banjo

and Steve Earle's guitar in Treme

as for the klansmen one I don't know if it's referencing anything, but he might've used the same wrecked car in another cartoon years ago maybe?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tobermory posted:

I dunno, let's ask Lietha.

Oh, I guess that's a yes :black101:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Rorus Raz posted:

:smug: : Were you there?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Asimo posted:

It's really a good insight into the mind of people like that though, if you step back and see how they came to their conclusions. The Origin of Species is a fairly dry text about nature and natural selection, which by necessity includes a lot of discussion on, well, natural selection. Predation, changing of habitats, and other stuff like that. Now the cartoonist is the sort that sees everything in the world as God's Plan, so by simply describing these things honestly Darwin was implicitly making a slander against God and blaming God for the myriad atrocities of nature. The fact this is completely unrelated to the actual text doesn't matter; the cartoonist's world view is so focused and unalterable that there's no other possible explanation that would fit it. From where they're sitting, it's an inarguable self-evident "truth".

It's really kind of terrifying if you think about it too closely, but it's still important to understand how people like these think.

To be honest, Darwin DID have difficulties with the idea of God and it was partially related to his observations: why would a kind God allow so much suffering in the process of natural selection? When his daughter Annie died young, he ceased to believe in an afterlife or salvation. His views fluctuated the rest of life between theist and pretty strong agnostic.

Considering that similar reasoning led me to become an atheist, it's not so far a stretch to link scientific observation with turning away from God. The problem is that this isn't always the case (compare Newton), and that for those who do reject Christianity it's frustrating that fundamentalists can't give us any reason why what we're doing is actually wrong besides "God said so!" If the only reason it's wrong is that God said it is, then isn't God deciding arbitrarily what's right and wrong?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Exclamation Marx posted:

Yeah the 'This machine kills [...]' is a reference to Woody

as is Pete Seeger's banjo

and Steve Earle's guitar in Treme

as for the klansmen one I don't know if it's referencing anything, but he might've used the same wrecked car in another cartoon years ago maybe?
Another place where this was referenced is my favorite gun (other than "A Light Shining in Darkness") in Fallout NV
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/This_Machine
Which has etched in the stock "WELL THIS MACHINE KILLS COMMIES" :black101:

Dr. Killjoy posted:

:smug: : Were you there?
To which I would reply "Well were you there when they wrote the bible" :smug:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

achillesforever6 posted:

To which I would reply "Well were you there when they wrote the bible" :smug:

"I didn't need to be, God was there." :smug:

But yes, YECs will be happy to tell you about how the sharp teeth of a T-Rex were actually originally created by God to eat plants, that the shape of an animal's teeth doesn't tell you anything about their diet, and how this machete I'm using to hack this brush is proof that T-Rex's teeth were perfect for plant-eating.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Man, Iron Pill may be "drawn" by an unironic probable racist and is probably going to be found on the computer harddrive of the next big school shooter, but it's just in amazing in ways I can't really describe. What's the story behind that poo poo anyways?

Consensus is that it's pretty ironic (for one, just look at the sheer prevalence of 'no homo' and 'tips etc'). As a rule of thumb, half of anything from pol is ironic.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Portals posted:

"Haha, those silly broads," Muir ponders, "can't live with them, can't...c-can't..."

He leans back in his office chair, a welling of tears obscures the view of the night sky through the hole in his roof

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Rorus Raz posted:

I love the whole "Humans lived with dinosaurs" belief that creationists cling to. It's wrong in the way they mean, but it's totally right if you account for evolution. Birds are of the same clade as dinosaurs and share a common ancestors.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Consensus is that it's pretty ironic (for one, just look at the sheer prevalence of 'no homo' and 'tips etc'). As a rule of thumb, half of anything from pol is ironic.

Yeah but the other half is literally Der Sturmer and the two halves look identical.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

BBJoey posted:

Yeah but the other half is literally Der Sturmer and the two halves look identical.

It's literally impossible to satirize Fascists without them ending up clinging to whatever media is doing it. See: Industrial Music, Starship Troopers, Punk.

e: It's kinda like the "anti-war movie" problem.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Acropolis posted:

I love the whole "Humans lived with dinosaurs" belief that creationists cling to. It's wrong in the way they mean, but it's totally right if you account for evolution. Birds are of the same clade as dinosaurs and share a common ancestors.

I also got to wonder, why is it that no one thought to use dinosaurs? I mean we rode elephants, wouldn't it be even better to use a stegosaurus? And wouldn't some of the major civilizations have made a note of that?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Cpt.Americant posted:

I also got to wonder, why is it that no one thought to use dinosaurs? I mean we rode elephants, wouldn't it be even better to use a stegosaurus? And wouldn't some of the major civilizations have made a note of that?

the devil destroyed the evidence to trick you.

for real though YECs basically use "That's a trick by the devil" the way you would say "a wizard did it"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cpt.Americant posted:

Hannibal actually used the triceratops as mounts, but satanists covered it up.

EDIT: If you want an easier answer, most creationists claim that dinosaurs died out either in the flood itself or post-flood conditions on Earth were not optimal for them and they died out shortly thereafter. There's a Chick Tract that claims post-flood humans basically hunted the surviving ones to extinction.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cpt.Americant posted:

Most of them say the dinosaurs died out during the Flood and that civilization came after the Flood.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Grapplejack posted:

Thank god you guys started posting those British cartoons, it's nice to see actual well drawn comics in here.

See, I'm on the other side of the fence. I think that British cartoons, while clearly a lot of care is taken in making them, look like atrocious loving smashed rear end. I just can't get over feeling that they're ugly as poo poo.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
That's a feature, not a bug.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mordiceius posted:

See, I'm on the other side of the fence. I think that British cartoons, while clearly a lot of care is taken in making them, look like atrocious loving smashed rear end. I just can't get over feeling that they're ugly as poo poo.

I agree, the british cartoons look really really samey.

And the redcoats could never draw anything like Latuff's goku assfucking Pinera.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Portals posted:

Muir disproves evolution by showing us that dinosaurs still exist. Just look at that talon in the second panel.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rorus Raz posted:

Lietha is probably the most talented artist of the regulars. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Lietha is the only artist with talent of the regulars I post. Ford is just trying to emulate the Oatmeal (which is already a poo poo comic, but for other reasons), and has a style that is basically the next step above stick figures.

Oh, I know he's a talentless idiot, but unlike the vast majority of the regulars he doesn't fill his comics with 2/3 text (I come here to read posts and look at comics, not te other way around) and he understands at least how to make his panels clear, crisp and understandable. Yes it's incredibly basic, but you know what: it's clear and obvious what's going on, he knows that's he's NOT an artist but for knowing that I'll praise him.

And then laugh at him for being an idiotic, talentless moron who can barely make his point by inventing the most unrealistic of strawmen.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Rorus Raz posted:

Hannibal actually used the triceratops as mounts, but satanists covered it up.

EDIT: If you want an easier answer, most creationists claim that dinosaurs died out either in the flood itself or post-flood conditions on Earth were not optimal for them and they died out shortly thereafter. There's a Chick Tract that claims post-flood humans basically hunted the surviving ones to extinction.

Specifically There Go The Dinosaurs.

I love the last panel, it's so goofy.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

I agree.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

That's a feature, not a bug.

Well then it's my personal opinion that british cartoons are poo poo. :itwaspoo:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Oh come on have you even seen this thread

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Mordiceius posted:

Well then it's my personal opinion that british cartoons are poo poo. :itwaspoo:
I used to be one of the people who complained about them being posted here.
I actually rather like them now that they're being posted daily. Whoever was posting them back when was doing it like two dozen at a time, so it all sort of smeared together into one big, gray-yellow glob. They're pretty drat good in moderation like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Tardigrade posted:

Specifically There Go The Dinosaurs.

I love the last panel, it's so goofy.

If I didn't know better, I'd think this was parody of Young Earth Creationism. Wall to wall comedy in these.

• Locked thread