Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pokefloats does not have stage hazards

And WarioWare has been an awful stage some it came out in Brawl. Random buffs are bad.

Gamer is my powerful friend though and is infinitely better
yeah most stage hazards suck, but, gamer rules and the vision gives you plenty of time to get out of the way

it also lends itself to matches that don't last 100 years because it makes people move around(and sometimes kills them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

i'm going to make super smash bros. 5

Yeah sure. Call me when you get hired by Sakurai. Hahaha.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Nurse we have two new patients! Just as I suspected, they have all the signs of playing with items on high but its even worse than that... the only item on was bumpers. [two nearby people gasp & the nurse faints while a boy in the stretcher rolls his eyes and keeps playing on the gamepad]

e: malignant bumper

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mabels big day posted:

There won't be a next game.
Why not? Is Nintendo going out of business?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why not? Is Nintendo going out of business?

Sakurai himself said this is the last smash bros game.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
What he actually said was it was the last one he was going to work on (he thinks), not that this would be the last Smash game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Sakurai himself said this is the last smash bros game.
I bet Nintendo gets Team Ninja to do the next one after Sakurai quits.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
A smash version of Other M? Could you call it... Project M...?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Raserys posted:

A smash version of Other M? Could you call it... Project M...?
Smash: Other B. The B stands for "butthole." It's very immature.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I bet Nintendo gets Team Ninja to do the next one after Sakurai quits.

i'm making it

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Didn't Sakurai say Brawl was going to be his last Smash game, too?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
so on the stage thing;

Isn't this specifically what the Omega stages were made for? like aren't the Omega Stages pretty hazard free?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Line Feed posted:

Didn't Sakurai say Brawl was going to be his last Smash game, too?
Well, it did ruin the series permanently.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Without sakurai, smash is nothing.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Every game Sakurai makes is supposedly a super nightmare and is his last game and oh he put so much work and overtime into it and never gets any credit but he can't imagine the games without him making them etc etc He literally says this about every game he makes.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo is going to make an SSB game every generation whether they can get Sakurai to do it or not.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

so on the stage thing;

Isn't this specifically what the Omega stages were made for? like aren't the Omega Stages pretty hazard free?

They're also flat and featureless

The most liked is battlefield, memes be damned

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Stallion Cabana posted:

so on the stage thing;

Yeah, but they're all the same. Having stages with different sizes or platform arrangements without Yellow Devils showing up and interrupting the game would be nice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Flat stages seem bad for balance, since some characters are just going to have an advantage on big flat stages like that.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

so on the stage thing;

As Springs said, Omega stages are just flat platforms with varying blast zones. They're essentially just different versions of FD, which is not the most neutral stage and plays to certain characters benefits more than other characters. Omega mode was made to satisfy the 'fox only final destination' sort of idea that people have of competitive smash, which isn't actually present. FD is not actually that commonly picked of a stage due to the problems it presents (in every Smash game), so Omega mode doesn't actually solve all the problems with the stage pick list.

Essentially, Platforms are very important.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're also flat and featureless

The most liked is battlefield, memes be damned

Smashville is actually the most liked.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stallion Cabana posted:

so on the stage thing;

yeah but it's lame that they're literally all shaped the same

it's cool to have stages that are different, like FD, battlefield, Town&City, so long as they aren't full of bullshit.(pilotwings is ok too)

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IronicDongz posted:

it's cool to have stages that are different, like FD, battlefield, Town&City, so long as they aren't full of bullshit.(pilotwings is ok too)

hell you even got pokemon stadium thats played on a competitive level

some melee is happening : http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

e: axe is on fire today

bef fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 19, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

pilotwings is really easy to camp, unfortunately

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

laplace posted:

Just because they're in every game doesn't make them good or worthwhile. They've always been dumb. The bumper was dumb on Peach's castle, the hurricane was dumb on Hyrule Castle, Most people even hate Woody Woods despite him doing no damage. Stage hazards are dumb.

Items are also dumb, but I at least understand people being excited about getting to see a pokemon or something.

The whole randomness RNG thing is and always has been lame even outside of a competitive setting. The whole "It makes it more fun!" is about as fun as randomly getting herpes while walking through a crowd. RNG is lame. Getting punished for no reason is lame.

I would rather randomly get herpes than be as much of a funless curmudgeon as you are.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I think the actual game is fun on its own, and the actual part of playing it without all the clutter is fun and clean and a good experience. I have a lot of fun while playing smash, that is why I play it almost every day, imported a console to play Smash 4 early, and travel very long distances to play it on a pretty regular basis.

I think the people who play with me also find it fun.

Unfun stuff that opens the game to less fun are stage hazards and items but maybe thats because I enjoy the responsibility of losing because I'm bad and then working hard to get better rather than because I got brained by a pokeball that landed right in front of my opponent randomly.

But hey, "to each his own" if they like not being an agent in the games they play.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
To each his own except please get rid of the stage hazards, items, and mechanics I don't like and also cater to me more Sakurai.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Or keep the items and stage hazards for people who like that sort of thing and make omega mode actually good instead of half-assing it so that we don't need to deal with dumb stuff if we don't want to?

Choice is a good thing.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

all my friends hate items and stage hazards because I use them to cheat

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
omg hungrybox

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Probad posted:

To each his own except please get rid of the stage hazards, items, and mechanics I don't like and also cater to me more Sakurai.

no one is saying to get rid of anything, just have more options

IronicDongz posted:

omg hungrybox

if there was ever a rest..

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
If you're playing with assist trophies and poke balls on 75m and Gamer, maybe you shouldn't be taking winning so seriously. You can play with no items on Smashville for your seriouslies and you can play all bumpers and bob-ombs on Onett if you're just loving around. I go to tournaments all the time and I drive for twenty hours to go to Apex every year (except this one :() and I love playing Coin Matches with Smash Balls. Smash lets you do all of these!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

omg hungrybox

he rage quit smash four because someone in the crowd said HOO-HAA

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
plup is the most out of control samus I've ever seen :o:

mabels big day posted:

he rage quit smash four because someone in the crowd said HOO-HAA
lmao really

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

plup is the most out of control samus I've ever seen :o:
lmao really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB-6oRB4ABo

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do get rid of Yellow Devil, and Flying Man and actually get rid of Ridley too.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
especially get rid of ridley imo
hoo, ha

I at least feel him wrt diddy a lil but lol

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ridley's too big, they cant even fit him out of the front door. he's here forever

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

He may not be playable but at least he can be my buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

other m ridley is ugly as sin. not even in a charming way. he's supposed to be a crazy bone dragon not this weird disgusting muscle beast. get him out

• Locked thread