Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

EZipperelli posted:

Wasn't this guy like, an amazingly huge shitbag IRL? I've heard he was a dick, pulling guns on people at gas stations, starting fights in bars and acting like he was God's gift to the US military. Also, that his actual confirmed kill number may be significantly lower than he claims?

I don't know about the kill count and all that, but he was famous for publishing a completely made-up story about punching out Jesse Ventura and got sued over it. Then he apparently thought going to a gun range was a good cure for his friend's PTSD and got shot to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Kyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Here's a Storify with quotes from some of the more hosed-up parts of his book.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know about the kill count and all that, but he was famous for publishing a completely made-up story about punching out Jesse Ventura and got sued over it. Then he apparently thought going to a gun range was a good cure for his friend's PTSD and got shot to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Kyle

Not a friend's PTSD, some random guy he'd met once and had been committed multiple times for instability and suicidal tendency's PTSD.

There's a New Yorker article on the whole thing, it's pretty :stare:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like that he has to say "American Military History" because he's not badass enough to hold Simo Häyhä's dick while he pisses.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

EmmyOk posted:

I like that he has to say "American Military History" because he's not badass enough to hold Simo Häyhä's dick while he pisses.

Quoted for truth.

Also yeah that dude seems to have a problem with his ego and narcissism I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah, Hayha used iron sights because the glint on a scope might have given away his position. :stare: He was inhuman.

Also on the list of longest sniper kills, Kyle is only 8th. Still long distance, but Canadian and UK snipers have him beat. I wonder how they compare for "confirmed kills" (whatever that means).

FrozenVent posted:

Not a friend's PTSD, some random guy he'd met once and had been committed multiple times for instability and suicidal tendency's PTSD.

There's a New Yorker article on the whole thing, it's pretty :stare:

Wow, I heard he got shot but that's pretty crazy.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Fathis Munk posted:

Quoted for truth.

Also yeah that dude seems to have a problem with his ego and narcissism I guess.

There's a lot, I've heard, that's hosed up in that book. Not only does he not stop bragging about himself but he revels in the fact that he shot civilians and is the epitome of American Exceptionalism abroad. But it doesn't matter now that he's dead. He's a martyr for the goodness and superiority of the American Christian Military (ACM). If you don't go see American Sniper, you're a traitor and a savage and subhuman. But if you do and you're a minority you're one of the good ones.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, Hayha used iron sights because the glint on a scope might have given away his position. :stare: He was inhuman.

He used to stuff his mouth with snow so his breath wouldn't give his position away, an absolute monster.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Zaphod42 posted:

Also on the list of longest sniper kills, Kyle is only 8th. Still long distance, but Canadian and UK snipers have him beat. I wonder how they compare for "confirmed kills" (whatever that means).

Confirmed kills is basically "head and torso shots," rather than "hit the guy, but in the leg." Or conspiracy theorists say acknowledged missions and not Black Ops.

And Canadian snipers rule. :canada:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

He's not even more badass than Carlos Hathcock.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHYwritten by two other guys

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Here's a girl with similar aims.

quote:

Surprise Is My Weapon Of Choice
SCHOOL | ON, CANADA | HISTORY, STUDENTS
(We are in AP History Class, learning about World War 2, and have finished talking about the battles that took place. Class ends in about 10 minutes.)

Teacher: “All right, class, remember your essay is due on Friday and tomorrow we will kill Hitler.”

(The class laughs and one student speaks up.)

Student #1: “I’ll bring the AK47!”

Me: *I take off my headphones after hearing someone yell that out* “Wasn’t invented until ’47.”

Student #1: “Then I’ll bring AR-15.”

Me: “Invented ’59.”

(After different students naming various types of rifles, shotguns and other weapons they give up and I’m laughing. Finally someone speaks up again.)

Student #2: “Oh, for the love of god, just bring a knife. We’ll kill him with that!”

Me: “No need. You know that he committed suicide, right?”

(A few people laugh and everyone looks confused as they didn’t know. I sigh and pick up my phone getting ready to leave. Suddenly the teacher calls my name.)

Teacher: “[My Name], how do you know so much about weapons?”

(Keeping a serious expression I just shrugged as the bell rang and I walked out of class. This was coming from a girl who’s in AP, has dyed hair, and always wears headphones as well as studded jewellery. Nobody knows that I go to the range almost every weekend!)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
who doesn't know that hitler killed himself

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

corn in the bible posted:

who doesn't know that hitler killed himself

Retarded Canadians apparently.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Khazar-khum posted:

Also I don't know what AP is, but if she's bragging she's in the smart kids class, then it doesn't work because everyone by then should know Hitler shot himself.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Also I don't know what AP is, but if she's bragging she's in the smart kids class, then it doesn't work because everyone by then should know Hitler shot himself.
AP is advanced placement and you generally take a standardized exam that you can then use for college credit. In my high school it was the highest tier classes

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Advanced Placement. They're usually known as the "smart kids class" because they're generally not as easy, but being an ambitious student doesn't always mean you're actually smart of course.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

KiddieGrinder posted:

It's Advanced Placement. If you pass an exam at the end of the class you can get credit for a lot of general education required classes in college. You also get an inflated GPA from them - in my school they were 4.5 grade points for an A instead of 4.0. Them being full of special snowflake types is a thing, but I'm sure they all knew Hitler killed himself. In reality what happened was probably someone did make a stupid comment about ak47s in ww2 that the protagonist muttered to herself about and then came up with that fantasy where she got to show off for the whole class. I mean seriously, there were some weird teachers in AP, but "tomorrow we will kill Hitler"? That is not something anyone would say. The only way it would make sense is if they were doing some weird roleplaying thing, but the teacher would have known nobody killed him (except himself) so it still wouldn't make sense. Unless they were roleplaying as Hitler and she was using the third person.

also even if it happened, in what world does that brief exchange take up the entire 10 minutes between when the story starts and the bell rings?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Jan 19, 2015

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Khazar-khum posted:

Jesus gently caress this just makes her look like a smug rear end in a top hat trying oh so hard to be clever. Assuming this had happened she'd also be a huge loving nerd to go "no your joke does not work because clearly, this gun has not been out at that time :spergin:"

(Also anyone who has played first person shooters in the last decade would be able to name drop at least one or two ww2 era weapons. :colbert:)

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I mean seriously, there were some weird teachers in AP, but "tomorrow we will kill Hitler"? That is not something anyone would say. The only way it would make sense is if they were doing some weird roleplaying thing, but the teacher would have known nobody killed him (except himself) so it still wouldn't make sense. Unless they were roleplaying as Hitler and she was using the third person.

There's an episode of Doctor Who called "Let's Kill Hitler" (where they do, in fact, try to kill Hitler). If the teacher (or STDH writer) was trying to earn nerd cred, it could have been a reference to that?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There's AP classes in Canada?

Also what kind of class was she in that the teacher let her wear headphones?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Ratspeaker posted:

There's an episode of Doctor Who called "Let's Kill Hitler" (where they do, in fact, try to kill Hitler). If the teacher (or STDH writer) was trying to earn nerd cred, it could have been a reference to that?

Surprise Is My Weapon Of Choice
SCHOOL | ON, CANADA | HISTORY, STUDENTS
(We are in AP History Class, learning about World War 2, and have finished talking about the battles that took place. Class ends in about 50 minutes.)

Teacher: “All right, class, remember your essay is due on Friday...And tomorrow, LET'S KILL HITLER!”

(The class looks confused)

Me: *I take off my expensive designer headphones* "IT'S A DR.WHO REFERENCE YOU loving I***TS, don't you watch netflix?”

Student #1: “Dr. Who is lame and so are you.”

(Everyone laughs at my expense but they're actually just jealous)

Student #2: “Come on you guys don't be dicks, she's super special and unique and we all love her witty quips.”

(A few people laugh and everyone looks confused as if they didn’t know. I sigh and pick up my phone getting ready to leave. Suddenly the teacher calls my name.)

Teacher: “[My Name], You're the smartest and brightest student in class, how do you do it?”

(Keeping a serious expression I just shrugged as the bell rang and I walked out of class like a boss. This was coming from a girl who’s in AP, has dyed hair, and always wears headphones as well as studded jewellery. Nobody knows what a loser I actually am!)

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Jan 19, 2015

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
^^^ a good post.

FrozenVent posted:

There's AP classes in Canada?

Also what kind of class was she in that the teacher let her wear headphones?

The teacher just recognised that she is unique and rad. He would not dare to ask her to remove them.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

KiddieGrinder posted:

loving I***TS

:golfclap:
Nailed the style.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

^^^ a good post.

The teacher just recognised that she is unique and rad. He would not dare to ask her to remove them.

shut my ap history teacher up today and got a huge high 5

Background

I have self diagnosed aspergers and I use my headphones withvmy musoc off in class to block out ambient noise but I can still hear the teacher. It also keeps social interaction to a minimum because people think I am listening to music. This helps me focus, and reduces social anxiety .Im in AP classes because of my "retard strength brain" (important in a few) and all of my teachers are aware of the my headphones and none of them have issue with it.

Our old AP history teacher retired last year and we got a new one this year.. on the second day (start of business) of classes I walked in with my headphones on and he started class. About 5-7 min in.

Teacher: care to take off those headphones and join the class in learning?

Me: *taking off headphones* recited word for word everything he had said for the first 5 min then gave a summary of the first unit from the syllabus.

Teacher: *stunned in silence walks over and puts my headphones back on* "if the rest of you can keep that kind of focus up all year I dont care if you have headphones on. Then gives me the hardest high five I ever got from anyone.

He then gave me $10 for being already able to pass the first unitntest on the 2nd day.

-stdh fanfic

tater_salad has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Jan 19, 2015

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh man at first I thought this was unironic stdh.txt that you found somewhere.

I was flabbergasted and literally shaking. The story made me physically recoil.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Khazar-khum posted:

It is too bad the part where the student was later reported to the school administration for her antisocial behavior and her suspiciously obsessive knowledge about firearms was not included.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think you are looking for the true stories that actually happened:life is boring and full of rules.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

I mean seriously, there were some weird teachers in AP, but "tomorrow we will kill Hitler"? That is not something anyone would say. The only way it would make sense is if they were doing some weird roleplaying thing, but the teacher would have known nobody killed him (except himself) so it still wouldn't make sense. Unless they were roleplaying as Hitler and she was using the third person.

Some of my teachers would say things like that, like "next time, we'll be opening the frontier" or such.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Not completely sure how classroom management is done in other countries, but in all these tales that involve uniquely bright students the teachers seem to always let them behave however the gently caress they want.

Speaking as an actual teacher, I allow my students to express themselves but there have to be clear limits to behaviour. Wearing a set of headphones every lesson is ridiculously over that limit. No, it doesn't matter how much of a *~~*brilliant and special snowflake*~~* you are.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I worked as a teacher's aide for a little while when I was much younger, and there are children with things like actual diagnosed autism who sometimes get to wear headphones all day just because it really does filter out noise. However, those kids are not in regular classrooms, and they certainly do not have the wherewithal and social skills necessary to smugly speak up in class the way that person did. At best, they'd mumble out the correct information, and then get overwhelmed when addressed and either shut down or act out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wastrel_ posted:

Not completely sure how classroom management is done in other countries, but in all these tales that involve uniquely bright students the teachers seem to always let them behave however the gently caress they want.

Speaking as an actual teacher, I allow my students to express themselves but there have to be clear limits to behaviour. Wearing a set of headphones every lesson is ridiculously over that limit. No, it doesn't matter how much of a *~~*brilliant and special snowflake*~~* you are.

Well, if he has aspergers that's a little different than just being a special snowflake.

Of course its "self-diagnosed aspergers" so.....

That one was fanfic though right? So doesn't really matter.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Jan 19, 2015

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Khazar-khum posted:

I love how even in the most generous reading from the author's perspective, they're still a MASSIVE buzzkill.

"I shoot down each and every joke while the laughter, like a passing storm, declines and subsides, replaced with a slow douche-chill down each spine"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I love how even in the most generous reading from the author's perspective, they're still a MASSIVE buzzkill.

"I shoot down each and every joke while the laughter, like a passing storm, declines and subsides, replaced with a slow douche-chill down each spine"

That's the beauty of stdh.txt, most of the stories don't even make the author look good! :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It doesn't even make any goddamned sense.

Let us, from 2015, travel back to when Hitler was alive and go kill him with AK-47s.

"The AK-47 wasn't invented until 1947!!!"

That's the most implausible part of this? Not like, the time travel??

I mean if you can time travel who gives a gently caress when the Kalashnikov was released?!?
Plus it was designed in '46 and released in '48 so wrong anyways!

Then says "no need, he killed himself" well of course the point would be to kill him before the war started.
And if she wasn't assuming time travel, then he whenever fictional time this is they're going to kill Hitler, he's still alive.

:psyduck:

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Jan 19, 2015

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Zaphod42 posted:

It doesn't even make any goddamned sense.

Let us, from 2015, travel back to when Hitler was alive and go kill him with AK-47s.

"The AK-47 wasn't invented until 1947!!!"

That's the most implausible part of this? Not like, the time travel??

I mean if you can time travel who gives a gently caress when the Kalashnikov was released?!?
Plus it was designed in '46 and released in '48 so wrong anyways!

Then says "no need, he killed himself" well of course the point would be to kill him before the war started.
And if she wasn't assuming time travel, then he whenever fictional time this is they're going to kill Hitler, he's still alive.

:psyduck:

The author literally comes across like the most pedantic of Tropers.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

sweeperbravo posted:

The author literally comes across like the most pedantic of Tropers.

Yeah this could really be a troper tale.

That kid is inhuman insufferable.

Though if his ak fact really is wrong, it just makes the whole thing even better :laugh:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We don't have AP classes in Ontario.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
(While I’m working, a woman comes up to rent a liberal leaning movie. In an attempt to make small talk, I mention that I’m not that into politics, but I really enjoy watching Rachel Maddow’s show on MSNBC.)

Customer: “Who is that?”

Me: “She’s a liberal newscaster.”

Customer: “Oh…well, I’d have to watch 2 hours of Fox just to make up for watching that! I don’t want to get unbalanced!"

it's like a d&d post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Life is a rollercoaster

• Locked thread