Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

A filler episode but not too bad. Nods to Christine, Mirage comic issue "Sky Highway" and Donnie and Casey working on a truck in the first TMNT movie.

Donnie and Casey didn't get along in pretty much any TMNT incarnation (except for the aforementioned first movie). In the Mirage comics they just barely tolerated each other. Casey and Raph were always friends due to their anger issues and shared fondness for beating the snot out of bad guys.

Casey drunkenly picked a fight with Donnie in the Mirage comic one time. It didn't go well for him:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I can imagine the country episodes running until mid-season so they can do a double episode for the return to NYC. I hope not, these episodes haven't had much to do with the overarching plot.

Also, while we might think Donny's crush on April is weird, my daughter thinks it's hilarious.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

It feels like they made a month of Halloween episodes but got delayed for two weeks during the middle of October for whatever reason. Of course even if they aired straight through October it'd still be a week into November for this episode so who knows.

They got delayed for the movie on August 8, 2014. Maybe that's it?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is turning into season 2 of the walking dead.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

hypersleep posted:

Casey drunkenly picked a fight with Donnie in the Mirage comic one time. It didn't go well for him:

To be fair, he was drunk. Of course, that's part of the point, showing that the flipside of being a "hard-drinking badass" is being a self-destructive rear end in a top hat. Love those issues, though, it has one of my favorite layouts from the B&W comic, when Casey is drunkenly trying to pick a fight with Donatello.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is turning into season 2 of the walking dead.

Couldn't have said it better. Show took a huge nose drive for the 3rd Season, maybe the 4th one will actually be good again but it feels like the entire writing staff got replaced.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, he was drunk. Of course, that's part of the point, showing that the flipside of being a "hard-drinking badass" is being a self-destructive rear end in a top hat. Love those issues, though, it has one of my favorite layouts from the B&W comic, when Casey is drunkenly trying to pick a fight with Donatello.

Jim Lawson has never been what I'd call an amazing artist but I really liked the work he did during volumes 1 and 2 of the Mirage TMNT. His art style was distinctive and every once in a while he did get creative with some cool layouts, like the page you posted.

Too bad by the time Laird got around to volume 4 (and vol 2 of Tales of the TMNT), Lawson's style had basically devolved. The way he drew humans was awful.

For example, wtf is going on here with Shadow's face and tits?!

Lawson's art marred volume 4, although the plots weren't anything special either. Peter writing without Kevin made for some really boring stuff. At least there were plenty of good Tales issues from that era.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I downloaded a big old torrent of tmnt comics back when I got into the 2003 series. It wasn't well organized and stuff was missing. Is there any sort of giant collection available?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

I downloaded a big old torrent of tmnt comics back when I got into the 2003 series. It wasn't well organized and stuff was missing. Is there any sort of giant collection available?

IDW has been reprinting old Mirage issues in various physical and digital formats. There's a torrent out there that has a fairly complete collection of the old Mirage issues, but the scans are of widely varying quality.

There's also the problem of many of the Mirage Volume 1 issues being written/drawn by guest artists and I'm not sure IDW has secured the rights to reprint those issues, so hunting down physical copies or resorting to downloading the scans may be the only way to read them these days.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm beginning to wonder if this show will be renewed beyond the fourth season. The viewership just keeps plummeting, and this season is the least watched so far: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(2012_TV_series)_episodes

It doesn't help that this season has been almost entirely filler. With the exception of Leo recovering from his injuries, nothing that happened in the season 2 finale has been addressed in the 6 episodes we've seen since.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
What about the most important thing of all, toy sales?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

hypersleep posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if this show will be renewed beyond the fourth season. The viewership just keeps plummeting, and this season is the least watched so far: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(2012_TV_series)_episodes

It doesn't help that this season has been almost entirely filler. With the exception of Leo recovering from his injuries, nothing that happened in the season 2 finale has been addressed in the 6 episodes we've seen since.

Well if the 3rd Season writing will continue on to future seasons, hell yeah they should cancel the show because it sucks rear end now. It was my favorite TMNT cartoon up to but not including Ep 1 of Season 3. The last episode I watched was the Sasquatch garbage ep and just called it quits there.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Did the writing staff change? It used to be so close to perfection, I have no idea what else would have caused such a drop in quality.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

Did the writing staff change? It used to be so close to perfection, I have no idea what else would have caused such a drop in quality.

Looking at Wikipedia the entire writing staff did appear to change between seasons 1 and 2 but the credited writers have remained the same in season 3 as they were in 2. While its easy and knee-jerky to blame it on Nickelodeon I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted more completely standalone episodes instead of a loosely ongoing plot for future repeat purposes. Though that isn't a reason to be making not-great standalone episodes it is a shift in writing style. Also possible is that, while still a knee-jerky reaction without any information, Nick wanted less heavy and much more comedy oriented episodes.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Rewinding a bit about viewer ratings: Maybe the show does better in reruns? It's hard to imagine most of its target demographic catching it on Friday nights. Then again, the younger generation probably also tends to watch via other means, too, like on-demand.

TheFattestPat posted:

What about the most important thing of all, toy sales?

No idea about this at all but yeah, I imagine merchandise sales are far more important than viewer ratings.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well, TMNT comes back this Sunday. Looks like we got two more North Hampton episodes and then on the 25th we get an episode literally titled "Return to New York"

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well, TMNT comes back this Sunday. Looks like we got two more North Hampton episodes and then on the 25th we get an episode literally titled "Return to New York"

While being a literal description of whats happening - its also a reference to the original comics :science:

Speaking of which - the first turtles movie is actually a pretty close adaptation of the mirage black and white comics with just a few changes to improve dramatic arcs (Leonardo is the one who gets beaten up in the comics) and avoid weirdness that I presume would be unfilmable (Shredder dies pretty quickly in the comics but then comes back. Resurrected from the worms that ate his bodies. Also shredder clones!)

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Might catch up with this later, I liked the 2003 series and the 2007 movie. Was there a thread for the 2003 version?

I love the art style, it's so cute :3:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MrFlibble posted:

While being a literal description of whats happening - its also a reference to the original comics :science:

Speaking of which - the first turtles movie is actually a pretty close adaptation of the mirage black and white comics with just a few changes to improve dramatic arcs (Leonardo is the one who gets beaten up in the comics) and avoid weirdness that I presume would be unfilmable (Shredder dies pretty quickly in the comics but then comes back. Resurrected from the worms that ate his bodies. Also shredder clones!)

I think pretty much every incarnation of the Turtles has them exiles to the Hamptons and the subsequent return to New York. The episode where Leo fights the Foot in the 2003 series is absolutely excellent.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

e X posted:

I think pretty much every incarnation of the Turtles has them exiles to the Hamptons and the subsequent return to New York.

I guess the 2014 film's turtles going to the Rockies isn't too far off.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This last episode has justified the entirety of the North Hampton arc, holy poo poo. Mikey is the best turtle as always and I'm guessing we're starting on Raph becoming Shredder, those weapons he had are far too close. Specially now that he got the OK to use anger.

Now I'm really pumped for next week! Can't wait for a clean version of the final shot from the episode where they put on filters to look like a comic page, we got a few good ones here and there but most episodes end on one that's just not that cool and doesn't look well filtered enough, but this one is the best and I need it as a background.

I hope we get Spiritual Wood Junk Armor as toys, it's the only Donnie i'd buy and it'd be nice to finally round up my TMNT line-up on my shelf (a burger king toy 2k3 Raph, standard 2k12 leo and POP! 80's Mikey)

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 19, 2015

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Sweet episode. I hope they wear and use their new spiritual stuff for a little while.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't really get down on a literal kids show for the first 7 episodes, even when compared to the first two seasons, for just being an excuse to introduce new toys when toys are literally the only reason the show exists so I'll just agree that it was a good episode. Raph's bit could have been more than what it was but I guess "anger" doesn't really lend itself well to much SYMBOLISM.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
The severe lack of Splinter is what was wrong with the first portion of this season. It was very refreshing to see him again, and a nice call back to the 89 movie!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Props to the show for the Raph/Sean Astin Goonies reference.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Teek posted:

Props to the show for the Raph/Sean Astin Goonies reference.

I must've missed that, where was that at?

Guacala
Jul 19, 2009

When Raph pops up from the water in the torch-lit cave and mentions something about pirate ships.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
I've tried to get used to Seth Green voicing Leonardo. This episode cinched it for me though. I just don't think he's good at the voice. And nothing against him, I like his other voice work. But his Leonardo just seems like he's trying to deepen his own natural voice and he's speaking in an unnatural tone. It's the voice teenagers use when they're doing impressions of authority figures. "And then Dad said, *deepens* 'Hey Mister, what're you doing with the gardening hoe?'"

pattywacker
Nov 8, 2005
Nice new intro!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

And nice reference to The Next Mutation.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Excellent episode!!

Guacala
Jul 19, 2009

That was great. Are we due for an hour-long episode soon?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Other than yet another April Ex Machina, that was definitely the best episode all season. Lots of neat references, especially to the Party Wagon toy. The last two weeks have been a drastic upswing in quality. Hope it continues.

afterhours posted:

I've tried to get used to Seth Green voicing Leonardo. This episode cinched it for me though. I just don't think he's good at the voice. And nothing against him, I like his other voice work. But his Leonardo just seems like he's trying to deepen his own natural voice and he's speaking in an unnatural tone.

The other three have nasally voices. Biggs did too, but Green doesn't, and it makes his Leonardo almost too distinct from the others.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

afterhours posted:

I've tried to get used to Seth Green voicing Leonardo. This episode cinched it for me though. I just don't think he's good at the voice. And nothing against him, I like his other voice work. But his Leonardo just seems like he's trying to deepen his own natural voice and he's speaking in an unnatural tone. It's the voice teenagers use when they're doing impressions of authority figures. "And then Dad said, *deepens* 'Hey Mister, what're you doing with the gardening hoe?'"

Maybe try and take it as the character Leonardo is indeed trying to artificially sound like he is older / more in charge?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Other than yet another April Ex Machina, that was definitely the best episode all season.

She is pretty much Jean Grey at this point, this episode just gave her the ability to use Cerebro.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Light Gun Man posted:

Maybe try and take it as the character Leonardo is indeed trying to artificially sound like he is older / more in charge?

Not dorky enough.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Another excellent week, Bebop and Rocksteady are amazing.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Oh yeah, the original duo is back! I'm glad the show is doing it's own take on them, they're also in the IDW comic but they're pretty much exactly the same as they were in '87.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Was nice to see the Shredder clones, and I thought the pseudo sea creature influence was cool, but is that all we're going to see of them?

Anyway, it's nice to see the show getting back to form. The farm episodes were largely mediocre filler and went on for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pattywacker
Nov 8, 2005
So 3 new episodes went up yesterday, the Bebop and Rocksteady intro and a 2 part battle for NY. The two parter was on nick website only but I'm sure its not only there now.

pattywacker fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 9, 2015

• Locked thread