Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Honestly I was a much bigger fan of chill hanging out in the afterlife Vriska than I was of OH MY GOD MASTER MANIPULATOR SUPER BADASS YOU GUYS Vriska.

e:Which might actually end up being the point, who knows.

Doctor Zaius fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
lovely plot twist: Meenah gets the ring and also comes back in this timeline, and was either the "plucky character" Jane encountered or the "distraction" for HIC that Jane described

I mean gently caress it, let's do it. Let's bring both of them back. Go hog wild. Why the hell not.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Rose Spirit posted:

I want to click the little Vriska in the corner but I can't :saddowns:

Vriska is here now, and we can't go back.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It has begun, the great Vriskaning of our time.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

So Math posted:

Vriska is here now, and we can't go back.

Why would we want to? :allears:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Thinking on it, I dunno if I'm more annoyed Vriska is back or that this flash and the last Jade/Jane/Callie update lead into it like it was some sort of loving surprise.

Like, woo, the two months of updates leading up to this moment weren't a giant fakeout!
Also literally nothing else of note happened besides being told "Yes, she's still alive", for the umpteenth time.
Maybe the first thing Condy will do when we get back is double-kill her so we can drop the dead weight (fat joke intended)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Doctor Zaius posted:

Honestly I was a much bigger fan of chill hanging out in the afterlife Vriska than I was of OH MY GOD MASTER MANIPULATOR SUPER BADASS YOU GUYS Vriska.

e:Which might actually end up being the point, who knows.

If Vriska actually becomes as much of a cunning genius and genuine badass as her fans make her out to be I will be very upset and lose my faith in the one thing I trust about Hussie's writing ability, his characters.

Edit: More importantly though. Time for some more Homosuck! :getin:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 19, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Edit: More importantly though. Time for some more Homosuck! :getin:

I say that Caliborntime is by far superior to Vriskatime. :colbert:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
All y'all talking about Vriskatime or whatever, but the question on my mind is what does this all mean for Davesprite? In this timeline, he died with John on LOWAS, and unless I'm mistaken, he wasn't on the LOWAS that's currently being retjohnned into this timeline. Far as I can tell, he's the only figure unaccounted for between these two timelines.

And on the topic of sprites, do you figure Tavros might still be existing in Jane's kernel sprite now that Vriska's remains couldn't have been used to make Tavrissprite? Did he get blended with another troll instead, preventing dear, sweet, Fefetasprite from also being created (and then destroyed), so now all the dead trolls exist in a sprite form?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

All y'all talking about Vriskatime or whatever, but the question on my mind is what does this all mean for Davesprite? In this timeline, he died with John on LOWAS, and unless I'm mistaken, he wasn't on the LOWAS that's currently being retjohnned into this timeline. Far as I can tell, he's the only figure unaccounted for between these two timelines.

And on the topic of sprites, do you figure Tavros might still be existing in Jane's kernel sprite now that Vriska's remains couldn't have been used to make Tavrissprite? Did he get blended with another troll instead, preventing dear, sweet, Fefetasprite from also being created (and then destroyed), so now all the dead trolls exist in a sprite form?

He went up to Skaia, didn't he? So he's probably still around, since it's a universal or whatever.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I, for one, am happy about the return of The Best Character in Homestuck

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mimir posted:

He went up to Skaia, didn't he? So he's probably still around, since it's a universal or whatever.

He was on LOWAS when it was destroyed, according to Jade.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I can't believe some of you are unhappy about this lovely twist. That's what the dude in charge of the story loves, aren't they?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Classtoise posted:

Thinking on it, I dunno if I'm more annoyed Vriska is back or that this flash and the last Jade/Jane/Callie update lead into it like it was some sort of loving surprise.

Like, woo, the two months of updates leading up to this moment weren't a giant fakeout!
Also literally nothing else of note happened besides being told "Yes, she's still alive", for the umpteenth time.
Maybe the first thing Condy will do when we get back is double-kill her so we can drop the dead weight (fat joke intended)

You have to take into account the fact that what was 2 months for us will be something like 10 or 20 minutes to most people who end up reading this story. This update was boring, but I'm okay with that. Just as long as it keeps chugging along.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do enjoy that the one time people were actually hoping for Hussie to do a bigass fakeout where none of the preceding leadup pages mattered, it turned out to not be one. The man works in mysterious and sometimes kinda annoying ways.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Grapplejack posted:

Vriska's basically taken John's place as the main character, so yeah.

Oh come on. Not even you unironically believe that.

CJacobs posted:

I do enjoy that the one time people were actually hoping for Hussie to do a bigass fakeout where none of the preceding leadup pages mattered, it turned out to not be one. The man works in mysterious and sometimes kinda annoying ways.

Plot twists for the sake of plot twists are probably not the best call when he's trying to actually conclude a story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Probably not, but funny things are funny so I'm basically down for whatever he wants to do, because at this point no matter what he does it's gonna upset someone.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Probably not, but funny things are funny so I'm basically down for whatever he wants to do, because at this point no matter what he does it's gonna upset someone.

And so long as that someone is willing to have a meltdown about it, that sounds like a good way to end this purgatory of webcomicdom.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Ariong posted:

He was on LOWAS when it was destroyed, according to Jade.

That'd be Alpha Davesprite. I'm talking about regular Davesprite, from the regular doomed timeline.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mimir posted:

That'd be Alpha Davesprite. I'm talking about regular Davesprite, from the regular doomed timeline.

I'm pretty sure he stopped existing along with everything else in that timeline when John retconned it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm glad Vriska has returned, and can't wait for the next installment of Homestuck.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Classtoise posted:

I think some of you people have just moved on mentally from homestuck but something, curse like, is stopping you from moving on physically.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm under a geas to finish reading the comic. And also to never steal the cattle of a man who has shown me hospitality. The second one comes up more often than you'd think.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
prediction: lord english ultimately and anticlimactically murders vriska

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Action Shakespeare posted:

prediction: lord english ultimately and anticlimactically murders vriska

I hope that's literally the first thing that happens.

With the second being Meenah double-murders her for standing her up at Horse Mountain.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

So when they were going to bust Jake out of Derse, why the gently caress did Vriska wait until Roxy got forked to do her sleep thing?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

sirtommygunn posted:

So when they were going to bust Jake out of Derse, why the gently caress did Vriska wait until Roxy got forked to do her sleep thing?

Dramatic timing.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think some of you people have just moved on mentally from homestuck but something, curse like, is stopping you from moving on physically.

This is what happened to me. I was fully aware that I was coasting on momentum up until this point, but this update was the tipping point that made me realise that I just don't care what happens in Homestuck anymore. There was nothing there that interested or engaged me on any level. :(

But hey, now that I know, I can finally stop. I am free. :toot:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think the only reason this update feels weird is because Hussie at all hinted that maybe the mysterious leader figure wasn't Vriska. If he'd been consistently foreshadowing her return throughout this'd feel more like a confirmation, behold the Living Vriska come to walk amongst us again, but because he waggled his eyebrows with the whole "Oh gee I wonder who this mystery figure is? Sounds an awful lot like Vriska, huh?" thing it made people assume there must be some kind of twist or trick coming their way.

Getting past the initial reaction though, I don't know if "Vriskatime" is really so much of a thing anymore. Vriskatime used to mean arguing about all the messed-up, immoral business she'd get herself tangled up in and there might not be much potential for that anymore. No more ghost armies to sacrifice, spidermoms to feed, or Tavroses to molest. It'll actually be Vriskatime if she finds a way to gently caress poo poo up just like the good old days.

A little Vriskatime warmup for you - if this retcon causes Vriska's old ghost in the dream bubbles to disappear, does that mean the ghosts she sacrificed to Lord English will reappear since now she never existed to sacrifice them in the first place? And does that mean that Vriska is now absolved from any moral blame for doing that, since this Vriska never did it, but hey we got God-powered John out of it so it's now the 100% right course of action.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm under a geas to finish reading the comic. And also to never steal the cattle of a man who has shown me hospitality. The second one comes up more often than you'd think.
That's funny, an old woman cursed me to finish reading the comic and also to never eat the flesh of a dog. My friends always ask me why I never eat Chinese, I just have to be sure.

I think if we all think about this, we might discover that we might have a common origin here.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Dolash posted:

It'll actually be Vriskatime if she finds a way to gently caress poo poo up just like the good old days.

if she doesnt die immediately i expect nothing less, really

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Roger Explosion posted:

Frankly, I'll take all diabolical-responsible-for-everything-Vriska (Vriska) any day especially if it means scrapping all of her saccharine 'character development.'

I also just noticed the page title is renamed "shes8ack" which is neat.

Yeah, she might have had character development, but all being dead has done lately is just made her a boring lamewad, and Vriska is at her best when she is acting like an awesome badass. It's the same reason I'm fine with Terezi losing all her charcter development recenlty! We've finally got the all the best trolls alive again,

JT Jag posted:

That's funny, an old woman cursed me to finish reading the comic and also to never eat the flesh of a dog. My friends always ask me why I never eat Chinese, I just have to be sure.

I think if we all think about this, we might discover that we might have a common origin here.

I can't refuse any food offered to me by a television, but like every third person in Scotland is under some scaffy witch's gammy spell. I'm just lucky I'm not a changeling, iron is everywhere these days.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Classtoise posted:

With the second being Meenah double-murders her for standing her up at Horse Mountain.
If Vriska isn't there with her, Aranea might be instead in the consequences of retjohnning.

I think it's the superior arrangement, because Aranea was her pier and not an rear end-kissing limpet.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Dolash posted:

I think the only reason this update feels weird is because Hussie at all hinted that maybe the mysterious leader figure wasn't Vriska. If he'd been consistently foreshadowing her return throughout this'd feel more like a confirmation, behold the Living Vriska come to walk amongst us again, but because he waggled his eyebrows with the whole "Oh gee I wonder who this mystery figure is? Sounds an awful lot like Vriska, huh?" thing it made people assume there must be some kind of twist or trick coming their way.

With the benefit of hindsight, it's basically Hussie being Hussie. After all, the greatest lovely twist is making your readers expect a lovely twist, and then not having one at all.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Classtoise posted:

I'm glad we've already reached the point in Vriskatime where people wish horrible death upon her.

The ride never ends.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

I'm guessing Vriska is going to end up with everything...

... except the one thing she really wants/needs, someone (be it John or Meenah) who likes her.

I read this as "Vriska is going to end up on everything" and just imagined the last part of Brodyquest, but with Vriska (appearing on everything.) I wouldn't put it past Vriska to do something like that either.

Absum
May 28, 2013

So if they're just sleeping does that mean Jane is going to revive Roxy and we'll have two? Also why are they surprised at Vriska being there if she never died? Jade should know she was on the meteor because she looked at them before they took off?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like that this explains a lot about "dead" Jade and Jane who weren't from a beta timeline after all. Also how John's actions made her experience the sadness of thinking John died (his retcons made "irrelevant" john disappear apparently). While the Vriska reveal was rather obvious, I think the actual twist here was finally figuring out why Calliope's current visitors' stories seemed so off. It made a lot of sense in the end.

But now.. oh god, now the update horses have run out. If we only had Hearts Boxcars to take control of this horse calendar, sadly he fell on an outdated one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know why it never occurred to me that Vriska could just put them to sleep. It's been too long since she used those powers, I figured she was going just sort of clobber them with shenanigans.

Anyway presumably something will happen to Roxy's body to prevent her from being revived, like the body getting destroyed. Or they could just not bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
All of Act 6 has been worth it to bring Vriska back. The best trolls, and humans, together again for the first time.