Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

BabyRyoga posted:

If you have any kind of lag at all, you should drop group. I suspect much of the time, at least one of the two DPSes who instantly dies every pull/every res are lagging, but they are too stubborn to leave and expect to be carried through, which is extremely unlikely in a public group with to gaols and all. Despite the outdated low DPS requirement, most groups abandon before echo stacks up.

So as a terrible UK goon with even more terrible internet, I should drop all hope of ever doing Titan EX? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Jetamo posted:

So as a terrible UK goon with even more terrible internet, I should drop all hope of ever doing Titan EX? :saddowns:
it's perfectly doable if you VPN yourself a more stable connection. And stop using WiFi. If you're using WiFi, just give up

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jetamo posted:

You should remedy the problem if you intend to make serious attempts at it.

The game was extremely laggy (~0.6+ seconds delay to cancel a spell cast for example) for myself just a few weeks ago when I started out, and in seeing how many AOE abilities standard monsters use even at the very beginning of the game, I knew finding a VPN or some other way of stabilizing my ping would be the only way I could ever do endgame content and not dying a lot to frustrating things. Many people probably do not have this mentality, or even know what the game should feel like without the lag, which is why it's all the more frustrating to zone into a Titan EX and see people in all ilevel 120 gear who have been farming poetics for months who still can't get a simple encounter down after probably months of trying.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Jetamo posted:

Same boat here, just remember you can start moving when your cast is about 0.6 seconds from completing and you should be good. Spell will still go off and you can generally dodge 90% of the fire.

But yeah a VPN works better than relying on a stable amount of lag.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
FFXIV 1.0 was the Best Game, because as bad as it was (it was the baddest game), there was a constant promise to improve it. Each patch got the game drastically closer and closer to being a "good game" once Yoshi-P took over. By the time 1.23 hit, you had a genuinely good game hobbled by a laughably horrible server/game engine. 1.23 had an arguably more interesting and creative aproach to content design than 2.0.

Faction NM leves, beastmen strongholds that you didn't autowalk through, a better balanced relic weapon questline, Ifrit (Extreme) & Darnus (Hard), Cutter's Cry & Aurum Vale, and The End of an Era were what made 1.23 a Good Game. Also PLD was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM
SE built up the emotional hype for this 5 minutes of CGI for months through open-world in-game events.

2.0 has been a great game. It feels, outside of minor problems, responsive, fair, accurate, and mechanically fluid to play (1.0 was never any of these). There's a wealth of content for casual players and coil gave you 4 worthwhile fights every 6 months. The visual design is just as beautiful as 1.0 and a thousand times more varied. Their formula for content patches is an effective formula, but shallow, disposable, and boring. 2.0 just is and 2.x will never transform the game like 1.x transformed 1.0.

When the servers died from the simultaneous impact of Dalamud and just literally dying because too many people logged in at once because there was too much goddamn wacky poo poo going on in Mor Dhona, you had the hope of 2.0 right around the corner. Lots of people expected and wanted 1.23 but better. The magical world of 1.23+ where when you pressed a button, the thing you wanted to happen happened on screen, and they could finally start getting really creative with fight design. The thing is though, 1.0 and 2.0 are quite literally different games. A Realm Reborn isn't an expansion or an upgrade, it's just a different game. And it's sad that 1.23's few gems are gone for good. I'm hopeful for 3.0, but without a semi-radical change in content design philosophy, I will be just as bored with it as I have been 2.0.

That being said, the idiots on the Lodestone wanting 1.0 back probably never did a single one of the aforementioned things that made 1.23 good. So I don't know what the gently caress they're talking about.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

please tell me thats a brown forums quote

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
sorry I meant to post about Hunts but messed up

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

amusinginquiry posted:

1.23 had an arguably more interesting and creative aproach to content design than 2.0.

Nah, it was mainly poo poo against the wall and patchwork.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

amusinginquiry posted:

sorry I meant to post about Hunts but messed up
hunts is a better type of content than the entirety of 1.x

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

oh jesus christ this thread has to go through a whole day of primetime with the servers down, I hope we all make it through this alive people

edit: in T12 last night I'm staring at the giant birdball like good GOD I can't wait for tuesday when I the mark icons will be right next to the names on the aggro chart, like at this point it's what I'm most excited for in 2.5

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 19, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Rei_ posted:

oh jesus christ this thread has to go through a whole day of primetime with the servers down, I hope we all make it through this alive people

edit: in T12 last night I'm staring at the giant birdball like good GOD I can't wait for tuesday when I the mark icons will be right next to the names on the aggro chart, like at this point it's what I'm most excited for in 2.5
Just use the letters next to their name and go "kill ice-T" "Q-ball needs to get hosed" "Ace is a fucker" "B-ball sucks"

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Is there something I'm missing about doing my Atma relics? I equipped my Zenith weapon and spent 2 hours in lower la noscea yesterday, and nothing. Spent 2 and a half hours in central thanalan today, still nothing. Some of my FC-mates say they got all their atmas in about 8 hours. Am I just getting hosed by the RNG really hard, or is it possible I'm doing something to make the atmas not drop? My inventory has space, btw.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Popehoist posted:

Is there something I'm missing about doing my Atma relics? I equipped my Zenith weapon and spent 2 hours in lower la noscea yesterday, and nothing. Spent 2 and a half hours in central thanalan today, still nothing. Some of my FC-mates say they got all their atmas in about 8 hours. Am I just getting hosed by the RNG really hard, or is it possible I'm doing something to make the atmas not drop? My inventory has space, btw.
It's just completely random and you can have extreme dry spells, or suddenly get 7 of them in 10 minutes.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nah, it was mainly poo poo against the wall and patchwork.

It really was patchwork, and that's why 1.23 was impressive. I can only assume they had a skeleton crew working on patching 1.0 while the other hundreds of people worked on ARR. The fact that 1.0 was turned into anything resembling an actual game was an achievement. It was still terrible and no one should actually want it back. The good things in 1.23 never truly outshined the bad.

Of course when people in this thread are willfully obtuse about what is valuable and interesting in video game and fight design and think:

ilifinicus posted:

hunts is a better type of content than the entirety of 1.x
I guess trying to have any actual discourse is a waste of time.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

amusinginquiry posted:

FFXIV 1.0 was the Best Game, because as bad as it was (it was the baddest game), there was a constant promise to improve it. Each patch got the game drastically closer and closer to being a "good game" once Yoshi-P took over. By the time 1.23 hit, you had a genuinely good game hobbled by a laughably horrible server/game engine. 1.23 had an arguably more interesting and creative aproach to content design than 2.0.

Faction NM leves, beastmen strongholds that you didn't autowalk through, a better balanced relic weapon questline, Ifrit (Extreme) & Darnus (Hard), Cutter's Cry & Aurum Vale, and The End of an Era were what made 1.23 a Good Game. Also PLD was cool.

What about Paladin was cool aside from it being incredibly inferior to Warrior, and having some stupid heal? The MP regain on block? Having to combo into Spirits Within while hoping for a block?

I understand opinions and some bizarre form of nostalgia can take hold, but I think you mixed up the SA thread with the official forums.

e: Stu is that you?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

OF please go and stay go

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

I wasn't sure when I signed up, but seeing this video and the new intro/follow-up before the main menu got me on board when I first signed in.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
My one super big wish with this game is that the damage and healing application is touched upon. I fucken love those last second adloquiums and stoneskins that don't shield the damage they were applied for, but instead the hit after. Or how you need to hit specific buffs at least two seconds before a castbar finishes for the cooldown to apply if it's a tanking cooldown or limit break.

My second wish is for Ninjutsu to be more client side instead of mudras being sluggish due to server lag.

Never bring back 1.0

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Garin posted:

My one super big wish with this game is that the damage and healing application is touched upon. I fucken love those last second adloquiums and stoneskins that don't shield the damage they were applied for, but instead the hit after. Or how you need to hit specific buffs at least two seconds before a castbar finishes for the cooldown to apply if it's a tanking cooldown or limit break.

Truth be told, they don't hit after. The same thing that happens with player attacks/spells happens with enemy attacks/spells: you see it after the animation, as to maintain the fluidity of the animations.

If you barely missed a heal, that's because your target was already dead when the mob finished casting 2-3 seconds ago and you're actually *really* late. Also, auto-attacks do not follow this rule, which is why proactive healing is so important in this game - if you know the damage is coming, you need to have your heal casting while the enemy cast bar is still in motion, because there's probably an auto-attack or two that will hit by the time the animation plays out and the in-game displays catch up.

Varance fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 19, 2015

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Garin posted:

What about Paladin was cool aside from it being incredibly inferior to Warrior, and having some stupid heal? The MP regain on block? Having to combo into Spirits Within while hoping for a block?

I understand opinions and some bizarre form of nostalgia can take hold, but I think you mixed up the SA thread with the official forums.

e: Stu is that you?

PLD was never inferior to WAR as a tank in 1.x, when fighting single-target things that actually tried to kill you. WAR could tank anything as well, but didn't possess a PLD's absurd survivabilty. WAR was a solid tank and one of the best AoE damage jobs.

PLD was cool because it could survive through its own actions; it was self-sufficient through incredibly potent, honestly overpowered, mitigation and self-healing. Aegis Boon blocked and healed for a large amount. Blocking was more reliable and easier to force. PLD got a healing spell called Holy Succor that would heal itself for 50% of the amount restored to the target. Cure itself was strong enough to warrant casting on yourself. Sentinel was better. In general, it just had a better toolset for mitigation. Enmity was actually a thing that required some amount of effort to keep.

As a WHM, I liked the fact that PLD got an ability called Divine Veil. When Divine Veil was active, any incoming Cure would proc an AoE regen on party members near the PLD. So as WHM you worked with the PLD to heal up the party efficiently. Also in most fights you could just leave the PLD on his own for stretches while you dealt with mechanics or healing others. PLD was strong enough to not need healing in Ifrit (Extreme) for like, 30 second stretches or more. Comparing that to 2.0, it would be like a PLD eating an entire round of Bahamut mechanics (Flare Breath + Earthshaker + Megaflare), without needing anything other than its own mitigation and a Divine Seal Regen from a WHM.

PLD in 2.0 has weaker mitigation, no healing, and essentially becomes a DPS once you beat a fight. A good PLD in 2.0 puts out crazy dps and pops a mitigation cooldown every once in a while, a good PLD in 1.x was literally unkillable. 2.0 PLD design isn't objectively inferior, I suppose, but it's not as interesting.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
^ Go away Stu, or whoever bored person you are. OF needs more 1.0 threads.

Varance posted:

Truth be told, they don't hit after. The same thing that happens with player attacks/spells happens with enemy attacks/spells: you see it after the animation, as to maintain the fluidity of the animations.

If you barely missed a heal, that's because your target was already dead when the mob finished casting 2-3 seconds ago and you're actually *really* late. This is also why proactive healing is so important in this game - if you know the damage is coming, you need to have your heal casting while the enemy cast bar is still in motion.

I'm familiar with how it works. I don't really like the system. Some folks I know are still caught up in that 'gotta get that clutch x in time' mentality when things have to be done way in advance due to latency or the game's coding. I just wish it would get some adjustments.

Garin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 19, 2015

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Garin posted:

My second wish is for Ninjutsu to be more client side instead of mudras being sluggish due to server lag.

Never bring back 1.0

As infuriating as a delayed SS/adlo application can be, imagine if dodging every single mechanic felt 5x worse. That was 1.0.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Garin posted:

I'm familiar with how it works. I don't really like the system. Some folks I know are still caught up in that 'gotta get that clutch x in time' mentality when things have to be done way in advance due to latency or the game's coding. I just wish it would get some adjustments.
Think of healing in this game as an air bag in a car. It needs to deploy immediately at the time a car accident is occurring to soften the blow... not 5 seconds after the collision once the car has stopped moving and the damage has been done. That's what the devs are going for and actually has nothing to do with latency. Intentional.

Precasting is also fairly common for MMOs in general, especially in Coil-difficulty activity (which is very hard by MMO standards). Not just an XIV thing.

------------------------

The thing with 2.0 is that they were rushing to fix the game and had to cut a lot of stuff to fix a game that was not making a profit and likely wouldn't last much longer before Square-Enix pulled the plug completely. They didn't have 5 years to rework the game from the ground up... more like a year and change to build 2.0 WHILE updating 1.0. Lots of stuff they wanted to do hit the cutting room floor in the name of keeping the game alive. It's definitely incomplete, but what's there is pretty drat good.

The thing with 3.0 is that 2.0 is in a great place systems-wise. 2.0 to 3.0 is not going to require nearly as much work in terms of rebuilding what's already there, allowing the team to pick up some of those things that hit the cutting room floor and bring them to life. I wholly expect 3.0 to feel like a much more complete game, compared to what we have right now.

The 1.0 people will still bitch and moan because reasons.

Varance fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 19, 2015

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I just wish I could think of amusinginquiry's posts as four balls on the edge of a cliff, to be honest.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
It's almost like things can have both good and bad aspects.

1.0 was a bad game with a few well-executed designs.
2.0 is a good game with a ton of wasted potential.

If I posted screenshots of my catgirl, highlighted the post with jokes about my pal greg and said "fracture" intermittently, would you guys like me?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I enjoy brown forum post safari when it links offsite, not when it happens on-site

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I'm sure if you posted pictures of your catgirl butt, your pal greg, or 'fracture' while making air-quotes at your monitor you would be accepted as generally-ignored white noise just like the most of us, sure.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
PLD is the one place in the game where the mechanics regressed in complexity from 1.23 to ARR, so I'm not surprised that career 1.x gladiators are the most fervent defenders of it

My gut feeling is that the old 1.x self-healing PLD might end up reappearing as DRK in the expansion, now that they're comfortable with designing encounters for the new engine

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 19, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Greg fractured my catgirl's butt

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ilifinicus posted:

I enjoy brown forum post safari when it links offsite, not when it happens on-site

I enjoy people being able to post unpopular opinions on the game without the thread devolving to "whooooaaaa this isnt the official forums what the!???" but I guess we can't always get what we want in life.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Varance posted:

The thing with 2.0 is that they were rushing to fix the game and had to cut a lot of stuff to fix a game that was not making a profit and likely wouldn't last much longer before Square-Enix pulled the plug completely. They didn't have 5 years to rework the game from the ground up... more like a year and change to build 2.0 WHILE updating 1.0. Lots of stuff they wanted to do hit the cutting room floor in the name of keeping the game alive. It's definitely incomplete, but what's there is pretty drat good.

The thing with 3.0 is that 2.0 is in a great place systems-wise. 2.0 to 3.0 is not going to require nearly as much work in terms of rebuilding what's already there, allowing the team to pick up some of those things that hit the cutting room floor and bringing them to life. I wholly expect 3.0 to feel like a much more complete game, compared to what we have right now.

The 1.0 people will still bitch and moan because reasons.

2.0 is amazing, especially taking into consideration that rushed development time. I do hope they view 2.0 as a foundation that they can really expand on in 3.0, rather than 3.0 merely being an extension of the content types and cycles we've seen so far.

Chairman posted:

My gut feeling is that the old 1.x self-healing PLD might end up reappearing as DRK in the expansion, now that they're comfortable with designing encounters for the new engine

I'm not exactly expecting it, but an abolishment of classes altogether would go a long ways in allowing them to get creative and redesign a lot of jobs. At the very least getting level 60 is obviously the perfect time to revamp of all of the existing classes/jobs.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

amusinginquiry posted:

If I posted screenshots of my catgirl, highlighted the post with jokes about my pal greg and said "fracture" intermittently, would you guys like me?

As someone who only started in 2.1 but almost picked the game up at launch, I'm super interested to hear how good I've got it and what good stuff I missed out on. I've been digging reading your 1.0 posts, but I'll admit it's kinda unnerving and uncanny valley-y that you aren't squarely in the 1.0 WAS BULLSHIT camp or the 2.0 IS BULLSHIT camp since it seems like no one's allowed to hold vocally positive opinions about both.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Chairman posted:

PLD is the one place in the game where the mechanics regressed in complexity from 1.23 to ARR, so I'm not surprised that career 1.x gladiators are the most fervent defenders of it

My genuine wish for 3.0 is that paladins get something that chains off Riot Blade.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I disagree with almost everything on this page.
I'll say I'm super hyped for Heavensward based on the development that the game has gone through in 2.0-2.5

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Fister Roboto posted:

My genuine wish for 3.0 is that paladins get something that chains off Riot Blade.

Yeah that's always been a weird one, but sword oath allows PLD to continue using rage of halone while retaining it's useful debuff utility. I'd like to see riot blade chain into something interesting idk. One of the weird issues with ffxiv right now is that everything fits so well together as it stands that I can't imagine even minor changes not stepping on another classes toes. I can't imagine how DRK and AST will come in and not make another class in its category somewhat redundant

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Meldonox posted:

As someone who only started in 2.1 but almost picked the game up at launch, I'm super interested to hear how good I've got it and what good stuff I missed out on. I've been digging reading your 1.0 posts, but I'll admit it's kinda unnerving and uncanny valley-y that you aren't squarely in the 1.0 WAS BULLSHIT camp or the 2.0 IS BULLSHIT camp since it seems like no one's allowed to hold vocally positive opinions about both.
The game that 14-1 became was not totally unlikable and people that are completely hostile to that opinion are kinda being assholes, I think most people that played original FF14 until the end felt that way. I mean yeah vanilla launch 1.0 was loving garbage but 1.23, there was something to that, they turned that game into something that was immensely playable and for the most part redeemed FF14 even before ARR came out. I disagree with that guy that the primals are even remotely something positive about 14-1 though. Even as improved as it was when they started adding primals and dungeons, you could feel the design of the game buckling under what they had made, with the way the classes were and the pace of the game in general there was no good way for them to design group encounters that were interesting or fun in a game that was originally designed entirely around running around an open world and killing mobs for hours. So primals were just A Thing To Do in a game with not much else in it. For fun compare 1.23 primals to 2.0, they're the same fights but the 14-1 versions are just loving boring and go a million times more slowly.

The worst thing you can say about 14-1 was that 1.23 was as good as it could ever get, there was nothing else they could have done to improve that game short of doing what they did with 2.0 and just starting over. Where with 14-2 every 3 months they are adding something new and exciting to do and you never feel that any of it conflicts with the core design of the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
1.23 probably appealed to the same people FFXI did, but FFXI came out before we had objectively better and more convenient options in the genre when it was okay for the game to be 99% boring rear end grind. I just don't see how people can think that would be acceptable now. But then, who am I to question LordDarksnake:

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
So yoshida was just on my server, he was followed by a mob that would make S rank marks blush and you could barely see his tiny lalafell under it. Seems he was mostly here to talk and stream with the FC NGC edofumi, afterwards they had a ceremony at the beach and he briefly joined their FC.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Shame on you, Page 261. You were pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Bison
Aug 31, 2004

Throwing out a recruitment code for anyone interested: YFZ3HMPU

• Locked thread