Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I was intending on waiting for the MG versions but none seem to have been announced yet. Did the Build Fighters MGs not do very well? Or is it because the BB would need an entirely new mould and that the Winning is an SD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Thanks guys. He really wants that Kampfer Amazing. Is Amazon a good place to buy it?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Dregs posted:

Thanks guys. He really wants that Kampfer Amazing. Is Amazon a good place to buy it?

Where do you live? If you're British, I recommend japan-cool.co.uk. They have a little bit of a mark-up, but it's domestic rates for shipping, and you won't get stung with customs charges.

If you want him to get hype for getting Kampfer Amazing, here's a video of it's crowning moment of glory.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 19, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Dregs posted:

Check the prices there and the prices on the other sites in the OP.

There is a particular vendor on Amazon that you want to stay away from, but I can't remember the name. They ship from Japan and have the absolute worst packing I have seen from a company. They put the model box in either a large padded everyone envelope or in a cardboard box with no padding at all.

Since they ship freight for cheap, you are not unlikely to get a damaged box and a damaged kit.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If you want him to get hype for getting Kampfer Amazing, here's a video of it's crowning moment of glory.

man, don't spoil that episode. it's really good and the kid's gonna watch the show anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kibner posted:

Check the prices there and the prices on the other sites in the OP.

There is a particular vendor on Amazon that you want to stay away from, but I can't remember the name. They ship from Japan and have the absolute worst packing I have seen from a company. They put the model box in either a large padded everyone envelope or in a cardboard box with no padding at all.

Since they ship freight for cheap, you are not unlikely to get a damaged box and a damaged kit.

Toy Shop Japan HobbyOne.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Literally The Worst posted:

Toy Shop Japan HobbyOne.

There ya go. Pay the extra dollar and avoid that company.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
We actually just tried to watch the show and he hated it. The robot parts were cool, but most of the show seems to be about teenage girls gushing over various things. So that link is very appreciated!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

The Dregs posted:

We actually just tried to watch the show and he hated it. The robot parts were cool, but most of the show seems to be about teenage girls gushing over various things. So that link is very appreciated!

Your son might hate fun. :negative:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Dregs posted:

there's like... 1 girl in the first episode, and 15 out of 20 minutes are dedicated entirely to robots.

you're both loving idiots.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Sorry we don't like anime. Anyway, we didn't watch the first episode. We tried to watch 18, I think. It was what came up in Youtube when I searched Build Fighters Kampfer Amazing.

Do you ADTRW guys really get so mad when someone doesn't like something you like? I really did appreciate the advice, but calm down man.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
no, seriously, what show did you actually watch? because the only teenage girl in build fighters episode 1 is the main character's classmate who gets a total of *checks* 9 seconds of screen time.

edit: oh, you apparently did the opposite of introducing him to the show and were suddenly surprised when you weren't invested in any of the characters. classic.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just told you. Take it easy man.

?? I wasn't trying to introduce him to the show, I was just trying to see some videos of the Kampfer. Why would I want to get invested in some little girls gushing about dating and Yakisoba?

More importantly, WHY ARE YOU SO ANGRY?

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 19, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Broken Loose might be overreacting a little bit by calling you a loving idiot, but starting from near the end of a series and complaining you're not invested in the characters is rather weird. Start from episode 1, like logic would dictate.

BlitzBlast posted:

It's called hyperbole. Though it is kind of weird you just jumped to episode 18, and as far as I know the only thing resembling teenage girls chatting is that episode is Sei and co doing a huge Gundam joke. And, uh, three out of four of them are voiced by women but they're still dudes.

Oh, yeah, that too. Quite a few of the character designs (for example, the protagonist, Sei) are fairly androgynous, as are their voices.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 19, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's called hyperbole. Though it is kind of weird you just jumped to episode 18, and as far as I know the only thing resembling teenage girls chatting is that episode is Sei and co doing a huge Gundam joke. And, uh, three out of four of them are voiced by women but they're still dudes.

The Dregs posted:

Why would I want to get invested in some little girls gushing about dating and Yakisoba?

Although now I'm wondering if you actually watched BF too because I don't think there's a scene like that in Bloodhounds?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
OK. I think I see the miscommunication here. You guys really really like the show. My son just wants some robbits to play with. I tried to show him the Kampfer fighting. If the show turned out to be super cool, we might have watched it. But it was just kind of weird to people who don't watch anime. Now, this shouldn't be an issue. I don't get mad when folks have different tastes than I do.

I do appreciate the robot advice. We already ordered it and are researching the others.

What do you guys think of the Zaku-II's? Are they cool?

Maybe it was Bloodhounds. I think there was something mentioned along that line. But there was something in it that definitely looked like the Kampfer

There was this (girl?) dancing around because she got a date with someone named Misaki. Then there was this (girl) squeeling over Yakisoba. Then this other girl with white hair appeared out of nowhere and ate a shitload of food and then I turned it off.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 19, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Dregs posted:

OK. I think I see the miscommunication here. You guys really really like the show. My son just wants some robbits to play with. I tried to show him the Kampfer fighting. If the show turned out to be super cool, we might have watched it. But it was just kind of weird to people who don't watch anime. Now, this shouldn't be an issue. I don't get mad when folks have different tastes than I do.

I do appreciate the robot advice. We already ordered it and are researching the others.

What do you guys think of the Zaku-II's? Are they cool?

You have to be a bit careful with zakus. The anime they're from is really old, so some of the models are really old as well. Just make sure to check when the model was released, since the newer stuff is generally better.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh huh, I actually forgot Bloodhounds started off with that triple date scene. You'd probably care more about that if you watched the first 17 episodes since it's kind of a development of the general romance aspects, but if you just want to watch robots fighting you could have just waited/skipped to eleven minutes in because it's all robot action from there.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Man, why are you people so defensive of this "Avengers" stuff? I fast forwarded to like an hour into the movie and it was just some black guy in a room yelling at people. Are all comic book movies just big courtroom dramas?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I...I don't want to watch 17 episodes just so that I can appreciate squeeling teen girls. I really, really don't. I think I'll just drop it now and stick to talking about the actual factual plastic robots.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Dregs posted:

I...I don't want to watch 17 episodes just so that I can appreciate squeeling teen girls. I really, really don't. I think I'll just drop it now and stick to talking about the actual factual plastic robots.

I guess you've never seen Avengers, either, so the point is that if you cherry pick a tiny fraction of any media wildly out of context, of course it might seem dumb and not nearly as good as it actually is.

You're obviously not interested in actually knowing about this stuff, so buy whatever kit you want. The "$15-$20 HG kits" advice on the last page is more than enough to get you by. Like 90% of kits are worthwhile. Do whatever.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well that's fine, but just note that both of you look silly in this argument because one side is just being a general douche while the other is being dismissive and seemingly purposefully missing the point.

In other words it's a general SA argument so hey! Fair's fair. :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The Dregs posted:

I'm not really into anime either, I just like big sci-fi robbits. Gundam kits are very hard to beat when it comes to quality and price, so I picked one up to build. It was definitely worth 2200 yen just to fudge around with it, and now that it's almost done I might give it to my nephew. If he ends up liking the Gundam look, I will definitely start picking up more when I get the chance because, again, that's some premium hobby experience for a very small cost.

E: avengers (and comic movies) sucks too, hth

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Dregs posted:

It's not a zaku, but if your son likes the fatter/bulkier kits he might like the grimoire
http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-...asin=B00M1APWHS
It's relatively new and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

I guess you've never seen Avengers, either, so the point is that if you cherry pick a tiny fraction of any media wildly out of context, of course it might seem dumb and not nearly as good as it actually is.

You're obviously not interested in actually knowing about this stuff, so buy whatever kit you want. The "$15-$20 HG kits" advice on the last page is more than enough to get you by. Like 90% of kits are worthwhile. Do whatever.

Pretty much this. If you don't mind about the storylines or anything, just go to dalong.net, click "HG", click "English Catalog" and just let your son pick whichever suit he thinks looks the coolest.

(Unless he picks the one named "Neo Zeong". That's probably a bad move.)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Dregs posted:

One guy is definitely being a jerk. Sorry about that.

--

It could just be the years messing with my memory, but I think Megas XLR could be a good giant fighting robot kid's show.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

lilljonas posted:

E: avengers (and comic movies) sucks too, hth

Agreed. I didn't want to open that can of worms though. I did like the Watchmen.

The robots actually look like awesome toys for an older kid. He is pretty excited to play with the Kampfer. Cheaper and cooler than Legos, IMO.

That Reconguista is awesome!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mega XLR doesn't have any kits though. :smith:

Did some quick price comparisons, and your best bet for the Kampfer is probably Amazon. You can pick up its optional weapon binders too, but they kind of just look silly IMO. But free shipping's free shipping.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The Dregs posted:

Agreed. I didn't want to open that can of worms though. I did like the Watchmen.

The robots actually look like awesome toys for an older kid. He is pretty excited to play with the Kampfer. Cheaper and cooler than Legos, IMO.

If I had access to this poo poo when I was 10, I'd be so hooked it's not even funny.

However, my wife started endlessly taunting me with the deep "nerd-breath" when she saw me unpacking it, and forced me to promise to never put any up for display. So I'll have to find a new home for my poor Zeta once it's done.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

BlitzBlast posted:

Did some quick price comparisons, and your best bet for the Kampfer is probably Amazon. You can pick up its optional weapon binders too, but they kind of just look silly IMO. But free shipping's free shipping.

That's those Toy Shop Hobby One guys though. Bad, right?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

lilljonas posted:

If I had access to this poo poo when I was 10, I'd be so hooked it's not even funny.

However, my wife started endlessly taunting me with the deep "nerd-breath" when she saw me unpacking it, and forced me to promise to never put any up for display. So I'll have to find a new home for my poor Zeta once it's done.

Display it in the turlet. Depending on which scale it is, that's where the thing belongs. Essentially, if it's not MG Zeta, display it in the john.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ideally you'd get one with Prime shipping (there's a couple in the other sellers list for $20). But honestly, I've gotten a few banged up boxes but I've never gotten an actually damaged kit from them so I dunno why they warned you. :shrug:

Either way, paying an extra $3 for two day shipping is also a good idea.

EDIT: Unless you don't have Prime, in which case you are still safe from the gunpla menace.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Yeah, I went with the Prime one. Good to know I did things right. thanks, guys!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Display it in the turlet. Depending on which scale it is, that's where the thing belongs. Essentially, if it's not MG Zeta, display it in the john.

It's a MG MSZ-006A1 Zeta Plus (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10019958)
I could hide it in the medicine cabinet, ready to strike at any fool who tries to take my toothbrush.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Transform it and hang it from the ceiling in the corner of your room.

Alternatively:

The MG Zeta Plus was weirdly flexible, so you could do some silly stretches/yoga poses.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 19, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

In the PSYCO XLR!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Transform it and hang it from the ceiling in the corner of your room.

Alternatively:

The MG Zeta Plus was weirdly flexible, so you could do some silly stretches/yoga poses.

Haha, I never tried that. That is awesome, I can see how long I can keep him hidden somewhere in the apartment before he gets noticed.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Where do you live? If you're British, I recommend japan-cool.co.uk. They have a little bit of a mark-up, but it's domestic rates for shipping, and you won't get stung with customs charges.

All that clip does is make me want to buy more GM Snipers (I already have 2 and am building one). What a cool suit. All troop suits are the best in my opinion, starting with zakus and including the Tierens.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

...did I just get goatse'd by a mobile suit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

The Dregs posted:

If the show turned out to be super cool, we might have watched it.
I'm not going to try to force you to try it again or get mad at you for it, I'm just going to say the show is super cool but not if you start with a random scene more than halfway through the show without any context and which isn't representative of what the show is like. Picking a random episode of any show and judging the entire thing from the opening scene sounds utterly bizarre to me.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 19, 2015