Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I shot a guy with a harpoon in the face, and his entire face exploded. Just his face, mind you, not his head, so there's just a giant hole in the middle of his head that I can see through. My friends and I were laughing so hard that he had time to approach and kill me.

I seem to remember them introducing an enemy something like 4/5ths of the way through the game, too, which was bizarre. Stuff like that, or the invisible enemies, of which there are only like four or five in the entire game (and not boss fights or anything), or the swimming that is used only at very specific points make me think that the development of this game was a disjointed and/or rushed affair. Also, the crazy story that doesn't go anywhere or explain anything beyond the base premise of the game: you're in this guy's mind, in a machine. Why? No idea. Why are they worried about him escaping? No idea. Why is Leslie the most important one? No idea. Why is the doctor in there with you? No idea. Who's the man in the cell? Etc. Hell, the final boss fight is a crazy mishmash of game mechanics - at one point utilizing stealth for the first time in like four or five hours. Except not really stealth, just some silly avoid-the-spotlight gameplay.

All of that spoilered stuff is explained, it just never amounts to anything. Sebastian and Joseph got snatched by whatever shady Umbrella-esque organization Kidman works for while investigating the mysterious disappearance of Seb's wife, and they popped them into the machine along with the doctor to gather more research/help shut Ruvik down. Ruvik's brain was extracted from his body and hooked into the STEM so they could complete his dream-sharing research, but because this organization is at least as incompetent as Umbrella they never expected him to go berserk and co-opt the entire simulation into his own consciousness. Kidman went in to investigate what he was up to, and learned that he was planning to use Leslie (whose mental disorder and imitative tendencies made him the only person who could survive contact with Ruvik's consciousness) as a vessel for his consciousness to escape the STEM. She initially tries to just help Leslie out of the simulation, then calls that a bust and attempts to shoot him instead, but Sebastian botches that too and Ruvik saunters out of the STEM while Kidman leaves Sebastian plugged in. Bad guys win, you lose, the end, gently caress you, wait for the sequel.

The dude in the cell appears on a bulletin board; he's a journalist who was investigating the whole mess before getting inserted into the STEM as well. He and Nurse Gutierrez appear to be collaborating somehow to create a safe haven for people with exceptional mental fortitude. It's way too little information given for such a big part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

God yes. For the longest time, I feel like the only one who couldn't stand all these games where you were alone and unarmed in a castle or forest or whatever. And FNAF is a logical extension of that, where they remove the wandering and have you bolted to a chair while screamer gifs hurl themselves at you. The Evil Within is frustrating and has some questionable design choices, but at least it's not dull.

The thing about all those "unarmed wandering around a castle or whatever" games is that it's a difficult balance to make a horror game scary while also giving the player the means to defend themselves. If you make them too strong they end up just killing everything and nothing feels particularly threatening. If you make them too weak, they're still going to try to kill everything and then get really frustrated because they die all the time or complain about the "awkward combat" or whatever. Taking out combat entirely is basically the way for the developers to hit the players over the head with the fact that fighting is not what the game is about. It's not the only way to make a horror game, but it's certainly one of the easier ways, which is why it's such a popular approach.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hanales posted:

He's been playing a new game called Dr. Spooky's house of jump scares.

It's....amazing.

Thank you for this.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yardbomb posted:

HarshlyCritical is indeed pretty awesome. I was the dude that first posted that one video of his in here, which was a "Scare montage" of him having the most mild, ridiculing reactions to bad horror game scares, where you know anyone else would've banshee wailed and flown out of their chair.
Nice, that's the first one I watched and won me over. Those free RPG Maker/Unity/flavor of the week horror games are endlessly entertaining. For the regular horror games, I still generally prefer to spend time actually playing it myself, but if I want a video to skip around in and get an idea of before buying, his are one of the first places I check now.

Len posted:

Thank you for this.
This really is great

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Nice, that's the first one I watched and won me over. Those free RPG Maker/Unity/flavor of the week horror games are endlessly entertaining. For the regular horror games, I still generally prefer to spend time actually playing it myself, but if I want a video to skip around in and get an idea of before buying, his are one of the first places I check now.
This really is great

The best part is later rooms those actually do shock him a bit. Yet he still doesn't scream and wail.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005

hanales posted:

He's been playing a new game called Dr. Spooky's house of jump scares.

It's....amazing.

Ha that's a cool little game. Thank goodness for the playback speed option on youtube though.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

various cheeses posted:

Honestly Cry of Fear might be my favorite horror game. The graphics are extremely dated, since it's the HL1 engine, but the monster design is pretty drat creepy. I played it on hard the first time though and goddamn it made me anxious to play - things are a lot more threatening when they shrug off a ton of shots and keep coming. I never saw the ending though, since i didn't have enough ammo to make it through the final boss fight :smith:

It was good but some of the enemy designs went a little overboard, like the doll/child things with spikes for hands. Generally, it worked well enough with the low polygon count though.

But then you got the voiceacting which made it hilarious.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Everything I need to know about Cry of Fear I learned from Lowtax:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0WKItQzWoY&t=1004s

I mean, this game is probably alright when Lowtax isn't playing it. But he doesn't make it look good. (This has probably been mentioned before)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Cry of Fear is very bad and its monsters are poor imitations of Silent Hill monsters.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Thoughtless posted:

It was good but some of the enemy designs went a little overboard, like the doll/child things with spikes for hands. Generally, it worked well enough with the low polygon count though.

But then you got the voiceacting which made it hilarious.

Haha yeah the voice acting has to be forgiven. I remember those spike-handed things making a godawful noise when they attacked you though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Cry of Fear is very bad and its monsters are poor imitations of Silent Hill monsters.

Regardless of ridiculous voice acting and enemy designs, it's one hell of a technically impressive game. All that is running on the Half-Life 1 engine.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Alabaster White posted:

Regardless of ridiculous voice acting and enemy designs, it's one hell of a technically impressive game. All that is running on the Half-Life 1 engine.

That's scary.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Alabaster White posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ
This is on the Doom 2 engine

Cry of Fear on the other hand doesn't run properly when launched via steam (Or at least it didn't when Lowtax played it) and has multiplayer so badly coded as to be unplayable.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Improbable Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ
This is on the Doom 2 engine

Cry of Fear on the other hand doesn't run properly when launched via steam (Or at least it didn't when Lowtax played it) and has multiplayer so badly coded as to be unplayable.

I thought that was the X-Ray engine for the longest time.

Seriously though, someone made Resident Evil 2 on the Doom 2 engine, third person, fixed camera angles and all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Cry of Fear is simultaneously a solid graphical achievement for a GoldSrc game and also a pretty bad, janky horror game that feels like it wants to be Silent Hill but without all the good parts of Silent Hill. I only played a small chunk of the game before losing interest, though, so hey, maybe I'm wrong.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This thread introduced me to HarshlyCritical. The best ones are him playing lovely RPGMaker games and making fun of them, but the legitimate games like Alien Isolation and Evil Within are good because he acts like a normal person while playing them.

Thank you, this guy is way tolerable

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Colonel posted:

Cry of Fear is simultaneously a solid graphical achievement for a GoldSrc game and also a pretty bad, janky horror game that feels like it wants to be Silent Hill but without all the good parts of Silent Hill. I only played a small chunk of the game before losing interest, though, so hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Mr. Sunabozu did a Let's Play of Cry of Fear and Afraid of Monsters, which were pretty good to watch. I found it better than actually playing the games.

http://lparchive.org/Cry-of-Fear/
http://lparchive.org/Afraid-of-Monsters-Directors-Cut/

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
New FNAF3 teaser image!

Also someone brightened it to reveal... uh... :stare:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

New FNAF3 teaser image!

Also someone brightened it to reveal... uh... :stare:

So in a year are we going to have like 20 or so of these?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Random question, but does anyone know who sang the version of Amazing Grace used in Deadly Premonition? That was purdy. Plus the scene that accompanied it was loving amazing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Random question, but does anyone know who sang the version of Amazing Grace used in Deadly Premonition? That was purdy. Plus the scene that accompanied it was loving amazing.

Looking it up it seems to be a Japanese singer named REMI. I can't really find much info about her though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr E posted:

So in a year are we going to have like 20 or so of these?

They seem to be really easy to make and insanely popular so this guy will probably keep making them as long as people keep tripping over themselves to be the first to do a YouTube LP of them. I was a staunch defender of the first game until FNAF 2 was announced like a week after the first, then I was still sort of on the dev's side and then like a month after FNAF 2 he's already working on the third which will probably be released within the next two months. That's a little much, unless he really planned this all out in advance which I'm starting to doubt.

And as much as I like HarshlyCritical, it was his playthroughs of the first two games that made me realize just how shallow Five Nights at Freddy's is as a game series. Once you get a pattern down you can beat the game mindlessly by just repeating that pattern until you brute-force your way to the end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I haven't really played the second FNaF but the first is pretty bleh. You really only have to actually check like three cameras and wait it out. Unless it picked up a lot after night 3 I don't see me ever finishing it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Len posted:

I haven't really played the second FNaF but the first is pretty bleh. You really only have to actually check like three cameras and wait it out. Unless it picked up a lot after night 3 I don't see me ever finishing it.

The second was more interesting, I thought

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I haven't played the second yet, but in the first Five Nights at Freddy's, poo poo gets pretty real starting at night 4. There's still a trick to doing it, from what I've seen watching videos, but there's also some randomness that keeps it really tense and seems to make it more of a matter of luck with some of the animatronics. I never had the patience to finish night 5.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
All the little hidden NES like segments make it seem like he has an overarching story :shrug:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

According to Game Theory (I know) FNaF does have an overarching story, and 2 is a prequel. It also mentions there being four locations at different points in time, with the first game taking place in the latest location, the second taking place in the one before it, a mysterious second location, and the first location, which was named something else, and likely the place in one of the 8-bit games.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 18, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

All the little hidden NES like segments make it seem like he has an overarching story :shrug:

Those are so ominously creepy, it's excellent.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

As retarded as it sounds, I think I am more into the "lore" of FNAF than the actual game itself. Getting stuffed into cheese wire-filled suits, the Phone Guy's cryptic messages, the NES games, the murderous Purple Man, Marionette "giving life", the children being blissfully unaware of what murderous psychos the anamatronic are...

All as a set dressing for a jumpscare game. A very well made one, yes, but one nonetheless.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
It would be cool if the new one fixes the problem of the optimal solution involving almost never looking at the cameras, generally speaking i think the gameplay is simple but solid and the main reason i bothered playing both of them but looking at the cameras is where the bulk of the spookiness and atmosphere comes from so it should be made a bigger focus.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think the developer is just smart enough to recognise that he dropped the biggest thing for the horror genre since Amnesia and that he has to strike while the iron is hot. Just like with Amnesia lovely clones are flooding the market which means that the formula will probably be considered stale sometime around spring or summer this year at best. It's just smart economics to pump out as many games as he can.

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As retarded as it sounds, I think I am more into the "lore" of FNAF than the actual game itself. Getting stuffed into cheese wire-filled suits, the Phone Guy's cryptic messages, the NES games, the murderous Purple Man, Marionette "giving life", the children being blissfully unaware of what murderous psychos the anamatronic are...

All as a set dressing for a jumpscare game. A very well made one, yes, but one nonetheless.

I'm definitely exactly the same way about this. I just recently bought the games to try them after watching a ton of videos about the lore and theories and stuff. Especially the ones by the Game Theory guys, which are incredibly fascinating. If the story is half as deep as the community would have us believe, I'm gonna be pretty excited to see what the third installment brings to the table.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Xoidanor posted:

I think the developer is just smart enough to recognise that he dropped the biggest thing for the horror genre since Amnesia and that he has to strike while the iron is hot. Just like with Amnesia lovely clones are flooding the market which means that the formula will probably be considered stale sometime around spring or summer this year at best. It's just smart economics to pump out as many games as he can.

I can't really fault him for that, because while the sequel did come out pretty fast after the popularity of the original picked up, it added new mechanics in a way that actually did feel pretty fresh. And it did kind of help fix the whole "never look at the cameras" with the marionette in a literal sense, but also the whole "flash your flashlight at them to help hold them in place" thing, since otherwise you end up with a fifty man gangbang sitting at the end of the hallway, waiting for you to take off your mask to fix the music box. I can't say I am too thrilled about Balloon Boy since he is mostly an arbitrary lose condition, and I wish that he had done the same thing with foxy as the original (three stages to help ramp up the tension) but all in all it was an improvement.

And the doors were dumb anyways, in a logical sense. What kind of security room has doors that slide up when the lights go out?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can't really fault him for that, because while the sequel did come out pretty fast after the popularity of the original picked up, it added new mechanics in a way that actually did feel pretty fresh. And it did kind of help fix the whole "never look at the cameras" with the marionette in a literal sense, but also the whole "flash your flashlight at them to help hold them in place" thing, since otherwise you end up with a fifty man gangbang sitting at the end of the hallway, waiting for you to take off your mask to fix the music box. I can't say I am too thrilled about Balloon Boy since he is mostly an arbitrary lose condition, and I wish that he had done the same thing with foxy as the original (three stages to help ramp up the tension) but all in all it was an improvement.

And the doors were dumb anyways, in a logical sense. What kind of security room has doors that slide up when the lights go out?

Yeah, they should've slid down. Oh well.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Can someone run down what all the new additions to five nights 2 are? I don't think I have the patience to run through the entire game to discover it all but the mechanics are interesting to me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FNAF2 has been described pretty accurately as a plate spinning simulator. You have to keep a music box cranked, keep track of animatronics and "flash" certain ones so they'll get stunned and back off, juggle the use of your mask (Foxy ignores it and the tolerance level other animatronics have for the delay between them being in the room and you putting it on gets smaller and smaller...) and so on. It's a much more hectic, much harder, game than its predecessor. Was pretty good thinking to have a lot of the story dished up through death screens. :v:

RadicalR posted:

Yeah, they should've slid down. Oh well.

And lock people in when the power is knocked out during a fire? :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

poptart_fairy posted:

FNAF2 has been described pretty accurately as a plate spinning simulator. You have to keep a music box cranked, keep track of animatronics and "flash" certain ones so they'll get stunned and back off, juggle the use of your mask (Foxy ignores it and the tolerance level other animatronics have for the delay between them being in the room and you putting it on gets smaller and smaller...) and so on. It's a much more hectic, much harder, game than its predecessor. Was pretty good thinking to have a lot of the story dished up through death screens. :v:

And lock people in when the power is knocked out during a fire? :colbert:

I think he means they shoulda been in the ground, and then slid up to cover the doorways when you activate them. Then when you lose power, they slide back down and stay down.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So quick question, how do the checkpoints in the evil within work? Just finished the third chapter and there doesn't seem to be many save points.

When the game saves a checkpoint, am I able to turn off the console and restart from that same spot when I load it up next? I'm just trying to determine if it can be played like that or I need to find specific save spots like alien: isolation.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Alien Isolation on the Oculus Rift is the best horror game experience I've had in ages. Can't wait for the consumer model to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Butt Ghost posted:

According to Game Theory (I know) FNaF does have an overarching story, and 2 is a prequel. It also mentions there being four locations at different points in time, with the first game taking place in the latest location, the second taking place in the one before it, a mysterious second location, and the first location, which was named something else, and likely the place in one of the 8-bit games.

I think he's just making poo poo up with the 'four places' stuff, as far as the game says or even implies there's just the three.