Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Well poo poo.

Guess I'll need to find another tutor spell for U Tron.

And not continue building Pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I almost feel like this just straight up reduces diversity in modern. Meet your new overlords, UR Twin and BG Midrange. I hope you like Pestermites and Exarchs, because you're gonna see a lot of them in the coming months.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

Well poo poo.

Guess I'll need to find another tutor spell for U Tron.

Back to the Gifts Package.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cernunnos posted:

Also RIP Dig Through Time in Modern. Never even had a chance. :(

My poor foils. :cry:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

You gotta pay the Troll Toll.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Looks like we made it! BBE still banned.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

Back to the Gifts Package.

Back to U/W I guess.

Which means I'm dropping about fifty on Elesh Norn and Iona. Great.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

I almost feel like this just straight up reduces diversity in modern. Meet your new overlords, UR Twin and BG Midrange. I hope you like Pestermites and Exarchs, because you're gonna see a lot of them in the coming months.

But they'll just ban that if it gets too oppressive. They'll ban everything until we're playing block constructed.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

suicidesteve posted:

My poor foils. :cry:

They're still there for Legacy but the demand won't be as heavy.

How long until CHalice of the Void finds its way back to the like $6 it was before people went crazy with them.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I'm not surprised about the Modern bans, but GGT coming off is an interesting choice. I guess they're a bit too gun-shy about Jund becoming the de-facto Best Deck (TM).

Banning Cruise in Legacy, on the other hand, REALLY surprises me. It's good but not nearly as overpowered as in Modern and the meta was already evolving to account for it. I hope it comes back eventually.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
can someone c+p the changes because i can't get wotc's site to load

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I really didn't think they'd ban Pod. Well, there you are.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

gang sines posted:

Announcement Date: January 19, 2015

Effective Date: January 23, 2015

Magic Online Effective Date: January 28, 2015

Modern:

Dig Through Time, Treasure Cruise, and Birthing Pod are banned.

Golgari Grave-Troll is no longer banned.

Legacy:

Treasure Cruise is banned.

Worldgorger Dragon is no longer banned.

Vintage:

Treasure Cruise is restricted.

Gifts Ungiven is no longer restricted.

The complete list of all banned and restricted cards, by format, is here.

Next B&R Announcement: March 23, 2015

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Banning Cruise in Legacy, on the other hand, REALLY surprises me. It's good but not nearly as overpowered as in Modern and the meta was already evolving to account for it. I hope it comes back eventually.

They should have banned Brainstorm, it's the actual Ancestral Recall that needs to be banned in Legacy.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Didn't actually think they'd have the brass to ban Pod, and yeah, Twin's gonna run rampant now.

I'm not looking forward to that. I also feel bad for anybody who bought foil Treasure Cruises.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Could somebody explain what the powerful interaction between World Gorger and Animate Dead is? Going infinite?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm not surprised about the Modern bans, but GGT coming off is an interesting choice. I guess they're a bit too gun-shy about Jund becoming the de-facto Best Deck (TM).

Going to agree with that, especially the GGT bit, I was surprised to see it unbanned.

gang sines posted:

Modern banned Pod and Dig Through Time, and Cruise, unbanned Golgari Grave-Troll
Legacy banned Cruise, unbanned Worldgorger Dragon
Vintage restricted Cruise, unrestricted Gifts.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

They're still there for Legacy but the demand won't be as heavy.

How long until CHalice of the Void finds its way back to the like $6 it was before people went crazy with them.

I'm pretty sure $6 was too cheap to begin with. There are so many decks that play it as a 4-of in legacy and vintage because it just wrecks most other decks.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Worldgorger.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
ty

didn't think legacy needed any bans but w/e i wasn't playin them anyway

e: also lol whenever someone says brainstorm needs to be banned

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Eddie Whitson posted:

But they'll just ban that if it gets too oppressive. They'll ban everything until we're playing block constructed.

This kinda stuff is just killing Modern for me. Why would they ban DTT along with Treasure Cruise? Why wouldn't they give us Ancestral Visions to replace the Cruise banning? Like it's ridiculous that we can't ever have good non-combo blue decks in Modern. It's total crap.

That's without getting into how they should've unbanned Bloodbraid Elf rather than banning Birthing Pod.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
THEY SAVED MORDERN Y'ALL.

Great format or greatest format?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

This kinda stuff is just killing Modern for me. Why would they ban DTT along with Treasure Cruise? Why wouldn't they give us Ancestral Visions to replace the Cruise banning? Like it's ridiculous that we can't ever have good non-combo blue decks in Modern. It's total crap.

That's without getting into how they should've unbanned Bloodbraid Elf rather than banning Birthing Pod.

modern's design philosophy is that it's not legacy so along with no fast combo there's also no good blue decks

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Cynic Jester posted:

Could somebody explain what the powerful interaction between World Gorger and Animate Dead is? Going infinite?

Yeah, you can exile your board indefinitely, each time tapping out and generate infinite mana this way.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

gang sines posted:

Pod, Cruise, Dig banned & Grave Troll unbanned in modern.
Cruise banned and Worldgorger Dragon unbanned in legacy.
Cruise restricted and Gifts unrestricted in vintage.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

And down goes Pod, right to 6 bucks, from 10.

Rest in peace flexible and fun deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

Back to U/W I guess.

Which means I'm dropping about fifty on Elesh Norn and Iona. Great.

Let me know if you find a good list, I already have U Tron built as well as an Iona and Norn.

Also, I can't wait to beat Dredge players at their own game with Modern Mill and less Delver to worry about :getin: Still a little bummed to see DTT go though, even if it just replaced Treasure Cruise in Delver I don't think it would be as oppressive, and the only deck that was running it regularly was Scapeshift. Oh well, at least I only spent $5 on the three I have.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
Why is Dig banned? Why loving ban a deck altogether in Modern? It's like Wizards is intentionally killing off the format by making it stale as gently caress. Why not unban cards to check the powerlevel of other decks instead? This is like League of Legends tier of balancing where the only solution is to nerf everything.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

gang sines posted:

modern's design philosophy is that it's not legacy so along with no fast combo there's also no good blue decks

The only appropriate response is to pull an Overextended and make a Postmodern format.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Look at me Im the dci

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Never in 100 million years did I think they would ban pod, or unban GGT. This is going to be /interesting/.

I'm a teensy bit annoyed that Cruise is somehow too broken for Legacy and Vintage but totally okay in Pauper, but they have Gush the same way, too...

Monsieur Mango posted:

Why is Dig banned? Why loving ban a deck altogether in Modern? It's like Wizards is intentionally killing off the format by making it stale as gently caress. Why not unban cards to check the powerlevel of other decks instead? This is like League of Legends tier of balancing where the only solution is to nerf everything.

The rationale is in the article. Maybe you should shake off some of that salt before it gets in your eyes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sometimes I think WotC just pulls this poo poo out of their asses.

"Delver is a majority of the format, we're banning the things that make it work."

"Birthing Pod is also the majority, we're banning that too."

"Dig Through Time works completely differently as a card generating engine than Treasure Cruise but even though it costs more overall in terms of Delve AND actual mana cost it's still a replacement for Cruise. We're banning it."

Edit: I'm a little salty because I've had a playset of Pods for ages and was planning on building the deck for almost two years.

Now I'll never know the majesty. Oh and I'll have to hear one of the guys at my Modern store go off.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
For those demanding answers, they actually have a nice paragraph or two explaining their justifications on the site.

quote:

Modern

Decks playing the powerful card drawers have been winning a lot, and pushing a lot of other decks down in competitive play. Blue-Red Delver decks, playing efficient creatures, card drawers, burn, and some permission spells have been the most successful. Also, decks focused on more burn, or combination decks using Jeskai Ascendancy, have done well. However, as these decks have occupied a large portion of the competitive metagame, the overall variety of successful decks has been suppressed. It is imbalanced enough that Wizards of the Coast has decided to act. In Modern, these cards are easy replacements for one another—while a Delver deck might use Treasure Cruise overDig Through Time, banning one but not the other would do little to change the deck. Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise are banned.

Over the past year, Birthing Pod decks have won significantly more Grand Prix than any other Modern decks and compose the largest percentage of the field. Each year, new powerful options are printed, most recently Siege Rhino. Over time, this creates a growing gap between the strength of the Pod deck and other creature decks. Pod won five of the twelve Grand Prix over the past year, including winning the last two. The high percentage of the field playing Pod suppresses decks, especially other creature decks, that have an unfavorable matchup. In the interest of supporting a diverse format,Birthing Pod is banned.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Eddie Whitson posted:

They should have banned Brainstorm, it's the actual Ancestral Recall that needs to be banned in Legacy.

This wasn't true before Delvecestral Recall, it's still not true after.

Cynic Jester posted:

It's all very dumb, but basically you Animate Dead the dragon, he comes into play RFGs everything including Animate Dead, Dragon dies, you get your stuff back, tap your lands, Animate Dead Dragon, repeat until you have some arbitrary amount of mana then Animate Dead Oona and mill them or Kaervek's Torch or whatever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Funny how everyone was certain Jeskai Ascendency would be first on the chopping block a few months back. That deck was better w/ Cruise but could it still dominate, or is Splinter Twin just more consistent? Could it be a more versatile midrange-y sort of combo deck?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Dig was my spec card, so I'm kind of sad they banned it in Modern. (I even traded a foil Cruise for a foil Dig straight up with a guy. I guess I got the winning end of that one.) But, I guess I can take solace in the fact that I have a year and a half to dump my Digs at standard block prices before they rotate out.

Regarding Birthing Pod, I don't really play much Modern (my only deck being a cheap janky burn deck), but I'm kind of surprised by the ban. Not that I'll shed any tears for it. In my absolutest mentality, any Phyrexian costed cards should be banned, period. Yes, this includes Gitaxian Probe and Dismember.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person

LordSaturn posted:

The rationale is in the article. Maybe you should shake off some of that salt before it gets in your eyes.

Been looking into making a modern deck since I was beginning to feel bad at the 6 or so modern players in my store, but I'll just stick to EDH and limited then. Bravo, Wizards! Modern sure is interesting.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

It's all very dumb, but basically you Animate Dead the dragon, he comes into play RFGs everything including Animate Dead, Dragon dies, you get your stuff back, tap your lands, Animate Dead Dragon, repeat until you have some arbitrary amount of mana then Animate Dead Oona and mill them or Kaervek's Torch or whatever.

That's adorable and I hope it wins a Legacy tournament somewhere.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: I'm a little salty because I've had a playset of Pods for ages and was planning on building the deck for almost two years.

The best laid plans of mice and neckbeards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
HAHA. Bye bye pod!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The DailyMTG site is still being hammered as I write this, even more than rumor season!

Birthing Pod is an interesting card, and although I've never built the deck for Modern, I'm sad to see it go. Toolbox style decks are my favorite, but it's clear that's not how they want Magic to be played.

• Locked thread